You Might Think

Located on the River Thames, London has been a major settlement for two millennia. The low-income borough of Lambeth has been largely taken over by London's mutant population and is now known as Mutant Town.

You Might Think

Postby Shane Marsh » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:44 am

Shane strolled into the lobby of the enormously expensive hotel where UKIP was holding its fundraiser. He smoothed back his 'hair', currently a very close imitation of actual hair in a short, classy style, and glanced around for whoever his father had sent to be his handler. Not seeing anyone yet, he nervously whispered to the decorative handkerchief in his suit pocket, "Last chance to back out."
Shane Marsh
Student

High Concept: Grumpy Green Man
Aspect: Rich Kid
Aspect: Daddy Issues
Aspect: Faux Bad Boy

Re: You Might Think

Postby Will Stanton » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:57 am

A fine, embroidered text appeared on the edge of the pocket square -- difficult to read unless you were up-close and personal.

Code: Select all
Screw backing out -- in for a penny and all that
Will Stanton
Student

High Concept: Pillsbury Clayboy
Aspect: Needs to be Useful/Used
Aspect: Out of Place, Out of Time
Aspect: Unique Worldview
Aspect: Big Ball of Trauma
Aspect: Open-Hearted

Postby Shane Marsh » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:32 pm

"Onward then. Worst case scenario this is boring as hell," he answered. He began heading to the rented out meeting hall.

"Can you see like that? This place is so fancy it's bloody ridiculous."
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:53 pm

Don't worry, all my senses work.

Kinda.  Sorta.  Too long to explain.

Seems awfully fancy for a 'working class' party.
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Shane Marsh » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:53 pm

"Are politicians not hypocrites on your Earth? 'Cause they bloody well are here."
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:57 pm

Such pessimism.  Keep it under your hat while we're here.
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Shane Marsh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:56 am

"I promise nothing," he said with a mild smirk. He proceeded up to the event's security checkpoint, hoping they wouldn't choose to make a scene.
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Narrator » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:22 am

The people running security give Shane more of a surprised rather than suspicious glance. They're probably being paid to be here rather than out of ideological leanings. The other people around them however are giving him more than dirty looks and here, followed by hushed conversations and glances back at them as if to confirm Shane's actually there. And hasn't started eating babies while they weren't looking. It'd be hard to be made feel less welcome without straight up being asked to leave.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shane Marsh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:42 pm

Shane barely managed to restrain his nature and resist the urge to show the bigots his middle finger. He did the next best thing by pointedly and snobbily ignoring them as he presented his invite.

"I'm with MP Marsh."
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Narrator » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:12 pm

That certainly causes a couple raised eyebrows here and there but ultimately they're waved through. As they get into the entrance hall proper a little old lady walks up to Shane and (carefully, but still) pats Shane on the arm. "It's alright, dearie. I'm sure they just don't realize you're one of the good ones." she informs him with cheerful bigotry before moving on.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shane Marsh » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:55 pm

The old woman's brand of casual thoughtlessness bothered Shane more than the hateful stares ever could because it was harder to get truly angry at the otherwise kind ones who simply didn't know any better. After an awkward moment of hesitation, he began looking for his father or, preferably, a member of his entourage he could actually tolerate.
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:55 pm

It takes a while to find him schmoozing some higher ranking people. When he spots Shane, which isn't particularly hard to do since he sticks out like a sore green thumb, he walks over, reaching into his chest pocket to pull out a folded piece of paper.

"Didn't think you'd actually show." he says in tone that's pleased yet also insulting for the insinuation Shane might not show at all. He hands him the folded piece of paper. "You're on at seven-thirty. Just read this and don't try to improvise, okay?"
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shane Marsh » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:59 pm

"Say what now?" he asked, hesitating to take the piece of paper. He certainly hadn't agreed to be in the direct spotlight. He should have expected it though.
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Narrator » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:24 pm

"You wanted to show some solidarity, right? And this way we can show that we're willing to help those of our citizens who are... afflicted with this. We're not anti-mutant, we just think we need to help our own instead of opening the gates to all the undesirables from all over Europe. I know you're not a bad person, Shane, but that's not true for anybody else and until we can figure out a way to control all those unknowns armed with god knows what abilities we need to keep them from coming to our country." he says in an all too reasonable sounding tone for the insidious sentiment underneath it.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Nigel Farage » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:28 pm

"That's right, my boy! You must be the surprise guest your father mentioned. You weren't kidding Aubrey, the poor kid's got it bad, don't he?" Nigel Farage says as he seems to pop up out of nowhere, talking in a tone he thinks is cheerful with a hint of pity but just ends up sounding mocking and rude, his laugh anything but commiserating. How anybody could find this man charismatic enough to be made leader of a political party is a mystery.
Nigel Farage

Postby Shane Marsh » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Oh God, I hope you're a bloody alien so I can kick your smug arse-face.

To his credit, Shane managed to both swallow his bitterly skeptical retort to his father and not cringe at the foul creature before him. "I suppose the least I can do is read it before I jump to any conclusions," he said with a convincing reasonableness he didn't feel. Though his father would possibly hear the unspoken 'you'll come to regret asking me to do this,' as he took a look at the note.
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Narrator » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:11 pm

It's about what he'd expect, which is to say it's full of bigotry and lies about UKIP embracing those mutants who are just good, proper citizens afflicted with an awful disease and just looking out for the safety of everybody from those who would 'misuse' their abilities. Or use them at all, really. Cause that's scary. It's pretty much everything Natalie feared it would be and basically unreadable unless Shane particularly feels like stabbing the things the University stands for in the back.

"That's the spirit!" Farage adds and for a moment he seems like he wants to pat Shane on the back but then stops with an expression of thinly veiled revulsion on his face. "Now, if you'll excuse me, the PM's on his way and we'll have to make a jolly good show out of welcoming him, no?" he excuses himself and makes his way over towards the main entrance where the crowd is being managed and cameras positioned in preperation.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Will Stanton » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:42 pm

I think he misspelled 'gratuitous hypocrisy" somewhere in there
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Shane Marsh » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:57 pm

"Dou really expect me to read this rubbage verbatim?" he discretely asked his father.
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Narrator » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:08 pm

"If you changed your mind then why are you here?" his father hisses back.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shane Marsh » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:34 pm

"I agreed to a show of good will and I fully intend to follow through. Becoming your ventriloquist dummy was never the deal," he answered evenly. Sure, he hoped that good will would manifest in punching aliens, but he definitely couldn't say that.

"Don't worry, I don't plan on publicly denouncing you for my own political benefit," he added pointedly.

Lord knows you've earned it.
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Narrator » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:51 am

"This is the show of good will you daft little..." His voice threatens to get a little too loud towards the end there and he cuts himself off to save face. "I should have known you didn't actually want to make peace. Why are you really here?" he whispers harshly.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shane Marsh » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:31 pm

"So your idea of making peace is my total and unquestioning capitulation? I swear... every bloody time I try to meet you halfway you decide I'm the only one who needs to compromise. I'm not some vanquished political opponent you can force to say whatever you want. Or is it you chose this speech knowing full well how I'd react just to make yourself the victim?"

Not answering the question Shane? And you say you're no good at politics.
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Narrator » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:52 pm

"Don't be so melodramatic. Did you really think just showing up here was going to be enough? Did you think that maybe talking to these people and showing them that you're not some kind of unreasonable monster might help. You want to play the victim then do it, but do it on stage so you can turn their hate into pity."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shane Marsh » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:43 pm

"I just want to use my own words you daft..." he retorted, stopping himself as his voice raised. "Don't ask me to say that mutants are some plague in need of strict control. I can not and will not do that," he added pleadingly
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Narrator » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:49 pm

"I invited you because I thought you'd realized how ridiculous you'd been acting. Say what you want, but if you hurt our cause or go against the party-line then I'm cutting you off and striking you out of my will, so chose your own words wisely!" he hisses and with that he turns around and walks off.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shane Marsh » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:51 pm

"Well that went well," Shane muttered to Will.
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:27 am

Punch him.  Punch him in the face.
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Shane Marsh » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:46 am

"Maybe later," he smirked. "Now we need to find a way to talk to the PM."
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:02 am

Introducing yourself is always a good start.  Your dad wants you to be seen.  Be seen!
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Shane Marsh » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:58 pm

"Right," he answered. Without further delay, Shane went to try and meet the PM. He was mindful of security as he approached.
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:22 pm

He doesn't have to do much searching, because his arrival is hard to miss. News crews gather just outside the doors and along with them people almost form a phalanx for the PM with his two security people. A little bit inside Nigel Farage is waiting for him in front of a wide poster on a stand that seems to be set up specifically for a photo op. They shake hands, exchange some words and mostly smile at the camera, one of them like a human being, the other like some kind of manic frog. Most of the crowd gathers around them in a big half-circle to watch the political spectacle. Scanning the crowd they can spot a couple of people who feel... out of place. There's one woman with a buzz-cut who seems out of place in this kind of conservative crowd despite the blouse and pencil-skirt she's wearing and a couple meters away in the crowd is a guy whose suit looks a bit over-sized and ill-fitting, almost weirdly bulky. At one point the two seem to exchange a quick glance...
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shane Marsh » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:19 pm

Shane took the quick glance as something conspiratorial and the oversized suit as a possible threat. "Follow my lead but get ready to be clever, 'cause this could get messy," he said to Will before quickly grabbing a drink and sidling up to the suited man. And promptly bumping into him and spilling it.

"Oh bloody hell! Sorry! Sorry!" he whinged.
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:54 pm

"Hey, watch it!" the man responds and rudely shoulders Shane back a foot or so. He's definitely packing some muscle and he has some kind of accent. Faint, but possibly Eastern-European.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shane Marsh » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:50 pm

"My word! At least let me offer you a handkerchief..." he said sullenly, holding out the Willkerchief.
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Narrator » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:07 am

The man looks down at Shane as if every stereotype he's heard about dainty, posh Brits just came true. Then he glances over at the woman with the buzzcut for just a moment and the two seem to come to some kind of agreement. He then turns back to Shane, rudely grabs the handkerchief in his big meaty fist and then swings said fist right at Shane's face, knocking him into the people behind him and the whole bunch of them to the ground while the plant-boy sees dancing stars for a moment.

Meanwhile the woman rises a couple feet into the air and ignites a halo of shimmering energy around her. She screams "Mutant Supremacy!" and extends her arm towards the PM - Stanley Claremont - and Nigel Farage. The later somehow manages to throw himself and the PM to the ground while a blast of purple energy rips the photo-op backdrop to smoldering shreds.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shane Marsh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:29 am

Shane brushed the greenish substance that passed for his blood onto his sleeve and grinned angrily as his busted nose regenerated.

"Screw this," he said as he sprung up and shot vines up to a strong ceiling fixture. "Take him down Will!" he called out before doing his best Spiderman impression by launching him over the man and at the fake supremacist.
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:31 am

The hankerchief in the big man's hand suddenly expanded, wrapping itself around his hand and extending up his arm. Will's upper body and torso emerged from the top of it as it slithered to bind him -- and he punched the guy in the face, hoping that his sudden transformation would count as a distraction.
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Narrator » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:10 pm

The crowd around them erupts into utter panic when not two but four mutants suddenly launch into fighting. People push and shove to get towards the exit or flee further into the building, disregarding the safety of most of their fellow humans and since quite a few of them are either old, out of shape or both there's no lack of injuries to go around as people trip, press against the doors not meant to accommodate 20 people at once or just straight up elbow each other to try and get ahead. As a result the area around the two assailants clears out pretty fast, but only for maybe a couple steps.

Shane manages to launch himself at the woman reasonably well, but slamming into her he finds himself stopped short by a feet or two, his impact only somewhat cushioned by the purple force that stopped him. Her head whips around, momentarily distracted from her target(s?) and with a glare at Shane the aura around her flares. The fringes of the leafs that are part of Shane begin to smolder as the energy builds up for a moment before it forcefully explodes outward, throwing him into a pile of people while also knocking down everybody in a 10 yard radius. The explosion is almost eerily quiet, unlike the rest of the room, which erupts into even louder panic.

The bulky man Will has attached himself to seems relatively unfazed by the explosive discharge of energy, although he's close enough that it makes his clothes flutter in the shockwave. He takes the punch to the face and stares back at Will, clearly angry on top of his thick naturally disgruntled-looking brow. He lifts his arm up, his cheap suit-jacket tearing in numerous places, and slams his fist, Will-coating and all, into the ground once, twice, three times. The concrete under the thin carpet begins to crack while the movement continues to tear away at the man's suit until it's mostly in tatters. Part of the reason for that are the dark-grey rocky or maybe bony protrusions sticking out of his skin all over his torso.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shane Marsh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Shane pulled himself to his feet, glancing towards the PM. He needed to work his way over there before the man was hauled to "safety." He sprouted long thorns from his hands and flung them at buzz-cut like paralyzing curare-laced darts. He started running to the PM and throwing more without waiting.

"Don't go with Farage! That probably isn't Farage!"
Shane Marsh
Student

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to London