Last Christmas

Located on the River Thames, London has been a major settlement for two millennia. The low-income borough of Lambeth has been largely taken over by London's mutant population and is now known as Mutant Town.

Re: Last Christmas

Postby Melpomene » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:44 pm

"Gah! Pppbt," she said, trying to spit out some of the clay Miriam was throwing. "Oh, now this is just rude," she said, her voice shifting to match Sam's. "SO out of fashion and vulgar. But, I suppose if you want to do this the hard way, your...devotion to Sammie could come in handy."
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:58 pm

"Oh get over yourself. You want to stick around and help? Be my guest. But I'm not going to be the one to deal with your legacy. Let Sam be the one who reminds him of you."
Miriam Bell
Student

High Concept: Sorrowful Telepath
Aspect: Powerful Enemies
Aspect: Structural Shadow

Postby Melpomene » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:06 pm

"Mmm," she said, tugging at her new cheeks. "I suppose I'll have to work with this; I'm just the ghost of a past memory, after all.

Fine. So, step one in your grand plan is to have him afraid of Sam. Fantastic. What's next?"
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:20 pm

"Isn't it obvious? I'm going to do the same to your Sam. I'm pretty sure there's a literal statue of her around here..." she says as she rises into the air and reaches out to try and find something representing The Morrigan.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:25 pm

"Making yourself into a Goddess right off the bat? Now, that is ambitious," Mel smirked.

The giant, Sam-shaped statue in the center of town was the most obvious Morrigan-related piece of symbolism available, though the entire mindscape hummed with it, like an underlying beat to everything going on.
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:31 pm

"Not myself. Just my likeness. Alter ego. Whatever the hell you are." she says as she floats towards the statue and extends her hands towards it and forces her will into it. It's metal, but like everything here it's surely just ambitious clay that can be molded.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:49 pm

It's...not actually metal, which probably explains why her first attempt fails in such a dramatic fashion.

This is Will's head. Why have a giant golden statue in the center of town if you could have a giant chocolate statue, wrapped in gold foil? Gotta learn to think with the metaphors you're working with, Miriam!

So, when she approaches the statue, applying the necessary force of will to shape gold and metal, what she ends up doing is creating a violent, explody, melty chocolate mess, as the Morrigan's face deforms and melts, oozing out over the city. The people surrounding the statue panicked, running in all sorts of directions and crashing into one another as the melting chocolate engulfs them.

So, you know. That could have gone better.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:09 pm

"God damnit!" Miriam curses as she tries to stem the tide of chocolate as much as possible by shooting bands of fabric into the melting goop and trying to will it back into shape. Or at least back into the statue.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:28 pm

Miriam is...not a confectioner.

Her ribbons are able to dip into the chocolate and begin reforming and remolding it, but the fine level of detail and craftsmanship that was there in the original statue? No dice. The distorted chocolate features looked more comical than anything else; so much for Will's "golden idol".
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:37 pm

"Fine, I guess this is a little too deep-seated. I'll settle for anonymous." she decides, dipping a finger into the chocolaty mess and giving it a taste.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:43 pm

It tasted like chocolate, which is good! Good quality chocolate, too.

But it also tasted like memories of protection and love, with flashes of sensations of being held, being given purpose, being shielded from the harshness of the world. It was all very vague -- probably because it was a melted mass -- but as Miriam tasted the chocolate, she'd have faint memories of rainy days under the blankets, of flying through the air high above the city, of games of hide and seek and of sparring matches in the danger room, of being useful and used and making life easier. Of love, unconditional and boundless.

They memories faded as the chocolate taste did, as well.
Will Stanton
Student

High Concept: Pillsbury Clayboy
Aspect: Needs to be Useful/Used
Aspect: Out of Place, Out of Time
Aspect: Unique Worldview
Aspect: Big Ball of Trauma
Aspect: Open-Hearted

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:55 pm

That makes her stop for a moment, suddenly feeling bad for having spoiled this. She's jealous, sure, but she also realizes that this is something Will has lost and that more than anything she can emphasize with. And she trampled all over it out of what? Self-pity? Jealousy? She couldn't even begin to try and mimic something like this. She wouldn't have the slightest clue how to. No wonder the statue exploded.

Her grip on Will's mind slips a little as she looks at the partially-reformed clay-person in front of her. "I'm so sorry, Will... I just... I just don't want to be alone."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:12 pm

Will had slumped a little bit as Miriam had been messing in his head, still standing obediently in front of Miriam. "'ts...ts OK..." he mumbled, still somewhat out of it as she was in his mind. "D...dn't mntion it..."

"You don't have to be alone, Miriam," Mel whispered in her ear. "But you have to play your cards right. You have an opportunity
here. You have to grasp it."
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:19 pm

"I tried... I don't know how..." Her head is swirling, visions of Will and the partially exploded statue dancing in her head as she tries to keep herself from losing control of her power.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:31 pm

"Think small. You just took out a big chunk of Will's raison d'etre, and you don't have anything to put in it's place.

You want Will to become a friend? Crafting friendship out of whole cloth is big. Sure, you can fake it, but that's what it is -- fake. Disposable. I don't mind that, but I think you do, and that's what makes us different, doesn't it, darling? You don't want something phony, you want the real deal. You're a hopeless romantic.

If you want that, you have to build up to it. Friend, lover, companion -- those are big, those take time. Start with something smaller; less all-encompassing, and build up.

Minion, thrall, armcandy, servant, slave, pet, toy, object -- whatever it is, you can use it as a mold. Scaffolding, around which you can build an emotional connection. Over time. Carefully. Through actions in here and out there. Reach out and give him a purpose for being with you; a calling he must follow no matter what. Make it so he has no choice but to be with you, and you'll have all the time in the world to build up from there.

But start with something small and simple and let his natural instincts fill in the gaps. You can always knock through and replace it with something more intricate once he becomes more inclined to naturally follow you. Try to make something big too fast, to treat him as an equal? You're giving him too much power; power which isn't inclined to listen to you. If it's constructed artificially, then it'll always, always feel artificial to you. Start with something easy to control, and upgrade over time. The smaller you go, the longer it will take -- but the easier it will be to make sure everything's in the right place.

Spend enough time on it, and he eventually won't need the scaffolding at all. And eventually, by rewarding behaviors you like and punishing those you don't, you'll have a friend for life. Maybe one who will even look at you like he looks at dear old Sammy."
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:04 pm

"You are seriously mental. Is some kind of underling the only concept you can conceive of?" she glares at Melpomene. But unfortunately, despite her obviously unhinged views, she has a point. Making something from scratch is always going to feel hollow. And just because the specifics are kind of insane doesn't mean the methods are... She just needs to put down a good foundation. A new, better starting point now that his opinion isn't being colored by this lunatic. She had the right idea initially, she just didn't follow through on it. He came here to stop her from hurting people. Ultimately he wants to help and it shouldn't take much to refocus that. He just needs to help her instead. Keep her from being consumed by hunger.

As the plan is taking shape in her head strands of cloth sink into the ground around her and burrow into Will's mind. She needs to feed and he can provide without being hurt. A selfless act, commendable really. With just a dash of pity for the horrible fate that has befallen her. She needs him. Needs his help. His blood. He doesn't actually want to kill if he doesn't have to. This is better. This will keep everyone safe.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:02 pm

"I'm just trying to spare you from being hurt, Miriam, but I suppose failure is the best teacher. Leaving wiggle room at the beginning leads to decisions you can't control. I'll be here when this goes south on you," she yawned, strolling to one side to watch Miriam's handiwork.

Miriam's strands entered into the clay, churning up the surface, the remaining chocolate seeping into the ground and out of sight. And then something rose up in it's place.

At first, it just looked like a large red pillar of some sort...until the crossbar came out, making the final shape much more clear. A giant red cross -- the symbol of aid, humanitarianism and, well, blood. That was now the centerpiece of the town square.

Witness her, blood bags. Witness her.
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:21 pm

She slowly withdraws from Will's head, blinking open her eyes int he real world again.

"Will? How do you feel?"
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:21 pm

"Like I need a long shower, but I'll live," he said, trying to shake the cobwebs out of his head. "Nnng."
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:33 pm

"Go ahead then. I'll wait." she says, despite the fact that she's beginning to feel the urge welling up inside of her. But it's better to let things settle for a moment and see the effect of her changes before acting on anything. She needs to know who she's dealing with after everything she's put Will through.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:37 pm

"Yeah, alright. When do you need to....y'know?" he asked, as he began to strip out of the (small) version of his X-Uniform he was wearing.
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Miriam Bell » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:00 am

"If I'm honest, sooner rather than later." she says, quickly turning around when Will begins to strip nonchalantly. "But take your time, I'll get room service to bring you some food in the meantime."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:28 am

"Do you have a schedule you need to keep for this sort of thing? Twice a day? More? Less?" he said, sounding very businesslike and perhaps a bit bored with the situation.
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Miriam Bell » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:54 am

Miriam frowns a little. "Is that what this is to you? A menial obligation?" She's not even sure what's upsetting her more, the fact that this seems utterly trite to Will or the fact that Mel might have been right.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:22 am

"No, it's keeping your ass alive until we find a cure.

This is a rotten situation you've found yourself in; I get that. I've been through the wringer once or twice myself -- the metaphorical wringer that is; actual wringers are far more pleasant if you know what you're doing.

I'm doing this because no one deserves to be a vampire; I've had more than my fair share of history with them. And I wouldn't wish it on anyone. If I was a science nerd, I'd be in there with my lab glasses and my lab coat and my lab shoes and I'd be working on a way to, I don't know, inject tiny crosses into the bloodstream. But I'm not. I'm the guy with the blood. Alright, I get it -- that's my role in this. And I think we'll both be happiest when you can go out in the sunshine again.

But yeah, it is menial, because it's not like 'having blood' is the most complex thing in the world. I just bounce back faster. And it is an obligation, because if you don't get blood, you die. Or worse, you go all Nosferatu on us and murder someone. Or cause more vampires, which just makes this an exponentially growing problem. One that I can't fix; I'm just the holding pattern."
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Miriam Bell » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:27 pm

"Bloody hell... Hang on." she sighs and reaches out for Will's mind again. But instead of searching out Melpomene she tries to dig deeper. Find the part of Will that was happy being a necklace or a dress. She thought it was jstu that he enjoyed being helpful, but clearly it wasn't that simple...
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:20 pm

There wasn't really a "part" of Will that enjoyed that sort of thing. Not in the same way there was a part of him that had been terrified as Melpomene or a part of him that loved brownies.

So, instead, Miriam found herself travelling through the mindscape, through the factory, through room after room of impossible machinery, over boiling chocolate and fields of candyfloss, past churners and ovens and around miles of twisting, gravity-defying conveyor belts, cranes and claws until she came to...

a door. A plain, wooden, unornamented door. Well, that was anticlimactic.
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Miriam Bell » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:14 pm

Even Miriam has to admit that not all symbolism needs to be dramatic. It just should be. Still, she opens the door and steps through.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:54 am

The room opened up...and up...and up.

The very tip-top of the room had monitors viewing various activities on the factory floor, but most of the room was filled with a maze of plugboards, like an old fashioned telephone directly, and what had to be billions of wires linking them all together; a nightmare of a tangled maze of connections and linkages. There wasn't much actual activity here, though a few people milled about checking things, but the sheer number of plugboards was...incredible.

The entire room was vaulted, like a dome, and in the very center, rising high up above everything else, was a central, master plugboard. While all of the secondary plugboards had a few wires going back and forth, they ALL were connected, many times over, to the center of the room.
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:22 am

Now this looked a bit more straight-forward. As complicated as it was, it made more immediate sense to her and all the details she could try to feel out. She walks around the room, past a couple of the secondary boards to look at them and figure out their specific purpose before turning her attention to the central one.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:26 am

Each of the boards had, in the center, a glass sphere. And inside the glass sphere was...a something.

One had what looked like a tiny model of a complex SUV. Another, a pinball machine. Still another, a familiar necklace. On and on, a riff-raff of random items of shapes and sizes, closed up in side glass spheres as the centerpoint of each switchboard.
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:40 am

Miriam let's out a soft whistle. She'd never really put much thought into what goes into Will's shifting and just assumed his various shapes were simple impressions and concepts with minor adjustments to fill in the details of textures, colors and so forth. This was so much more complex, she had trouble wrapping her head around it. Her initial assumption when she'd seen the complexity and expanse of the room had been that it was where feelings, impressions, memories, sensory input and all those things were interlinked. Like a smell being hooked into a particular memory, a taste to satisfaction or disgust. In short, everything that made up the underlieing framework of what makes a person into who they are. Instead all this complicated wiring is 'merely' his shapeshifting, in so much more detail than she'd imagined.

As she goes to inspect the large switchboard in the middle she wonders how much of this process is conscious or if this is a sub-conscious process receiving basic instructions from his conscious mind.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:58 am

In the center of the large switchboard, in the glass sphere, was a simple clay disc -- and this sphere, unlike all the other ones, was under tight lock and key.

There had to be...millions of wires. Millions of them. Somehow, amazingly, they all managed to be squeezed into the plugholes on the central switchboard. That was not how physics worked, but OK, sure Will, whatever.

Now that she was investigating one of the switchboards up close, she could see that someone had stuck little dynotape labels on all of them. Some of them were pretty straightforward: "sight", "sound", "hearing", etcetera. Others were a little more abstract, but fairly clear: "hunger", "thirst", "sleep". "Pain". Quite a few different flavors of each.
Others were...let's say, more esoteric. "A certain feeling of righteousness"? "3 PM on a lazy Sunday afternoon"? "Awkward glee"? "Embarrassed arousal"? "Nostalgic pants"?

Even more were as of yet unlabled, and they still had hundreds...no, thousands...of plugs going into them. The large switchboard was large, you could get lost looking at it all.

One thing that DID standout, however, is that a couple of the labels weren't in dynotape. They were just written on regular tape, faded and peeling at this point. They weren't anything particular out of the ordinary -- more emotions, more precise physical sensations, most (but not all) of them negative. It's just that...well, they were written in her own handwriting.
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:32 am

It doesn't take a lot to put two and two together. Those were Melpomene and they left an uncomfortably similar impression to her, taking the shape of her own handwriting. At least she wasn't entirely wrong. The connections were impressions and feelings and fairly specific ones at that. They just were heavily tied into Will's shapeshifting. She starts tracing some of the the less pleasant sensations to see what they connect to. It might help her figure out how these connections worked. Did the shape induce a feeling? The feeling a shifting? Either? Are all connections active when he shifts and if not what determined which ones? No wonder Melpomene had taken a liking to what was simultaneously a puzzle and a playground.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Narrator » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:51 am

Tracing any of the wires was a chaotic process; as they all branched off in different directions, it was not easy to make any overarching statements. Still, as she pushed past some of the people walking through the room (who made no attempt to stop her), she was able to trace a couple of the negative ones.

For example, she found one plug, linked into one of the many sensations of pain. Tracing it all the way back to it's source, and ignoring all the other miscelanious split-offs and bunchings together, she found it went to a small plug-board with a dark black luxury sedan, where it (and only it) was plugged into a hole marked "Being keyed on the passenger side door".
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:32 am

"Bloody hell... There's so much of this." she mutters to herself. Mel had labeled this one, which probably meant this was her doing. The signs of... experimentation were obvious, although she didn't much care to look into them too deeply out of fear of finding less harmless things. Then again, if she found any especially heinous ones she could maybe disconnect them... But one step at a time. More important than Mel's meddling is the fact that this seems to be the main hub of sensation and feelings. Which explained a lot. Maybe even how... unenthusiastic he's being. No shifting. But then again...

She hovers up into the air to get a better view of things. The center console is a piece of clay. Which means that somewhere there must be switchboards that correspond to his human shapes...
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:36 am

There were! The more time she was spending in here, the more method to the madness of organization she was beginning to see.

...That might not be a good thing, in and of itself.

There were quite a few human shapes -- some she recognized, some she didn't. Some looked like people she knew, or almost like people she knew. Some barely looked human at all! But a well-worn switchboard, with a tiny green man inside, was eventually located. It helped that there was a big green light on top of it, glowing! 'Active', perhaps?
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:46 am

That answered a couple of questions and, perhaps most importantly, gives her a sort of baseline to work with to quickly parse some of the more obvious connections. She stops in front of the panel and shifts her focus a little. The switchboard-room fades a little into slightly more abstract impressions as the real world fills her senses. Splitting her attention like this was hard, this deep into someone's mind, but easier than try to hunt down an obscure sensation on the off-chance that it already exists somewhere in that mess of cables.

Slowly, one hand on the wall to steady herself she makes her way over to Will in the real world until she reaches him and grabs a hold of his hair. Not overly roughly, just enough to tilt his head a little so she can lean in and sink her fangs into his neck...
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:51 am

"Gnnnah!" Will cried, as Miriam sank his teeth deep inside, the earthy taste of his blood entering her mouth. She was quickly learning that everyone had their own flavor, and Will's was as unique as he was.

In the mindscape, an unlabeled -- but notably, pre-existing -- cord briefly fired a signal out, back towards the main switchboard.
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:02 am

Really, the main goal had been to find that particular connection. At least that's what Miriam tells herself. But when the oddly loamy taste of Will's blood fills her mouth it becomes hard to focus on anything else for a moment. She's hungry and while it almost has bit of a thick chalky texture to it it's very satisfying. Robust and heavy in a way. So for a while she just let's herself drink, free from having to worry about doing any harm it's easy to just give in and really slate her thirst.
Miriam Bell
Student

PreviousNext

Topic attributes:

Return to London