Stake Out

Located on the River Thames, London has been a major settlement for two millennia. The low-income borough of Lambeth has been largely taken over by London's mutant population and is now known as Mutant Town.

Stake Out

Postby Miriam Bell » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:36 pm

A woman who looks remarkably like Alessia Abate is walking down the street in front of the bank that holds the vampire's trust fund. It's early evening, the sun having set just early enough for people to still be inside. Miriam slows to a leisurely stroll, eyes on the phone in her hand. It's off and she's merely using it as an excuse for staring blankly as she casts her mind out across the people inside the bank, skimming their thoughts in search for someone a little higher up the food-chain than the regular tellers.
Miriam Bell
Student

High Concept: Sorrowful Telepath
Aspect: Powerful Enemies
Aspect: Structural Shadow

Re: Stake Out

Postby Narrator » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:09 pm

There's a couple of managers checking in with the tellers and other employees and another member of management at desk in a small office, working on a computer. From their general sense, she can tell they're getting prepared to call it a night and just wrapping things up.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Miriam Bell » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:28 pm

She narrows in on the manager working on the computer and tries to gently nudge his mind towards the kind of procedures involved in dissolving an account.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Narrator » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:44 pm

Dissolving an account is a complicated process and his mind resists moving in that direction because it's really not something he wants to tackle at this time of day. It's not a serious problem for her to push past that though and get him to start thinking about it. The owner of the account would have to authorize it and there would need to be an account to transfer the money to.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:14 pm

Miriam grips the stylish briefcase she's carrying a little tighter. Not that it's heavy, it's mostly empty and is more for looks than anything, but she's a little nervous. No matter how deserving the victim, this is just full-on fraud. The feel of Will pretty much enveloping her entirely is weirdly comforting. She was concerned about it being stifling, but it's giving her a sense of protection. Not just physically, she can feel his mind all around her and it's almost like a whole other power. Like when she fought Isolde she's just a thought away from producing a weapon from her hand, grow armor or even additional arms. It's strangely exhilarating.

She walks into the bank, not breaking the mental connection with the manager. She begins putting down some ground-work. He doesn't want to deal with what she's about to bring up, but she finds his sense of professionalism and reinforces it with pride in working in a prestigious place like this to make it easier to channel the almost certainly coming frustration into getting this done quickly and smoothly instead of being difficult. She walks up to the nearest clerk and looks at her with vague disdain. "Get the manager. I have important business to take care of. Alessia Abate."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:17 pm

The clerk looks up the name and nods without any other response. She heads into the small office and retrieves the manager who comes out promptly. "Miss Abate, this is an unexpected pleasure. What can we do for you?"
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:20 pm

"We should talk in your office." she says. Her voice isn't perfect, but she has enough faith in Will's disguise that she can hopefully smooth the discrepancy over in the manager's head.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:24 pm

"Of course," he says, gesturing towards the office. "We weren't expecting to see you again so soon," he comments as they get settled in his office.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:41 pm

"There were some unforeseen developments." she says, waiting to continue until they're in his office, trying not to let the thought that Alessia was here recently get to her.

"I'm afraid I have to dissolve my account effective immediately. There have been some... disagreements in the family and I need to make sure none of them try anything." And before the thought of losing an account of this kind can really begin to take hold she goes on. "I know, I know, but let me assure you this has nothing to do with your fine institution. In fact, I would like most of the money to be distributed to accounts administered by this institution or others under the same banking group."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:49 pm

Moving to another account in the bank seems to soften the edge of losing the big account chunk. He looks up the account and studies it for a moment. "Well, I can certainly understand that. Are you wanting more stock holding accounts like this one or standard deposit accounts?" He pulls out a small pad and begins making notes.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:01 pm

"Oh, actually, I've prepared a list." she says, sitting down and opening her briefcase to pull out a single sheet of paper. On it are numerous accounts belonging to charities. A healthy mix of humanitarian, mutant-focused, social causes and such along with percentage numbers that add up to a total of 90%

"The rest I want to withdraw in cash."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:06 pm

The manager looks over the list and scratches his chin, "We can certainly do that. It'll be mid-morning tomorrow before we'd be able to sell off all of the stock in the account, unless you're willing to accept the 1% convenience fee for using the market close prices from today." He presses some keys on his computer and the printer behind him starts spitting out some forms.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:10 pm

"A one percent fee is more than acceptable for the trouble this must be causing you."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:18 pm

"Okay," he says, making some more entries and printing some more forms. He looks them over and then passes them over with a pen. "If you'll sign here, we'll start the transfers and liquidation process." He motions for another manager and hands him a slip of paper. The manager looks at it and hides his surprise before heading off towards where she assumes the vault is.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:39 pm

This was the tricky part. She had a sample of Alessia's signature, but she'd never be able to fake it well enough to withstand later scrutiny and if she wanted to make sure Alessia couldn't easily get her money back it'd have to be able to fool people even without her present. Fortunately, she had the help of a very capable shapeshifter and when she reaches over to sign the paper she doesn't actually touch the tip of the pen to the paper and instead brushes the side of her hand over the paper. The hand that's enveloped by Will who she had practice turning bits into the right pattern of ink to reproduce Alessia's signature perfectly, which she now brushes onto the paper.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:42 pm

After the forms are signed, the manager looks at the signatures and compares them to something on his computer screen. Finally he nods in satisfaction. "If you'll wait here, I'll go see how long it will take to finish gathering the money."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:47 pm

"Of course." she says, managing to keep her voice mostly steady while she's quietly freaking out on the inside. Sit around and wait is the last thing she wants to do right now, especially if Alessia is still in London after all, but obviously this will take at least a little bit. She tries to calm herself by letting her mind reach out and keep tabs on the manager and the clerk who went to the vault.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 pm

Both seem to regard this as highly unusual, but you also don't argue too heavily with a client this important. A second manager gets called in to verify the money and sign off on the funds. It takes about a half hour before the manager comes back out with a metal briefcase and accompanied by a security guard. "We have your money right here and I have confirmation of all the transfers in the case with the money." He sets the briefcase on the desk and opens it to show up a substantial amount of money. He pats a pocket in the lid of the case, "Your confirmations are in here."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Miriam tries her best to not seem like she's been bordering on having a panic attack for the last half hour, not having taken a single breath for the entire time she's been waiting she can't help but breathe a sigh of relief when the manager returns with the suitcase full of money.

"Thank you very much. And I apologize again for the inconvenience. Your services have been exemplary as usual." she says and reaches for the suitcase as soon as he stops patting the pocket. She briefly tugs out the papers to glance at them, nods and closes the case. "Have a pleasant night."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:08 pm

"And you as well, Miss Abate," the manager says, seeing her to the door.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Miriam is already mentally reaching out to find a cab to pick her up as soon as she gets out the door.

The tension doesn't really leave her until she sets foot into her hotel room again. A different one in a different hotel for obvious reasons. As soon as she's inside she sets down the briefcase on the bed and starts pulling Will off of her face. "Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit! It worked!"
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Null » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:41 pm

It's a relief to get inside once again. While she may have chalked it up to nerves over the bank heist, she had been uncomfortable the entire time she had been out and about in the daylight. There was certainly a psychological element to that -- the knowledge that if, at any point, Will had decided to slip away, the burning would begin. But as she stripped Will off of her like a bodysuit, she noticed that her skin was significantly redder than normal, like she had been in a hot shower for hours. It was more tender than normal, as well -- it didn't look permanently damaged or anything, but the sun's light had not done her much favors as of yet. Even a fancy Willskin suit was not apparently enough for her to stroll out in the daytime too much.

Will sagged, losing much of his form as Miriam peeled him off. The inside of him was a bit scorched and smelled faintly of char as well, from having been in contact with her skin -- it looked like he had absorbed some of the damage meant for her.

"Of course it worked! That was a really clever idea by the signature, too," Will said, his mouth flapping open a little oddly as he dangled, two-dimensionally.
Null

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:53 pm

She looks down at her hands and arms. In all the excitement and anxiety she hadn't really noticed and she shudders a little thinking what might have happened had she stayed out longer. It doesn't put too much of a damper on her mood though, all things considered. She pops open the briefcase and pulls out two fistful of note bundles. "You did great! We need to celebrate!" she says, nicking the band on the bundles with her fingernails before tossing the bundles into the air and letting the pound notes rain down around her as she laughs. "Make yourself presentable and go get us some champagne and food from downstairs."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Null » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:02 pm

"Of course, Mnemosyne," he said, shifting back to his normal look -- nothing more fancy than normal -- and heading out the door to see what he could rustle up.
Null

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:09 pm

"We'll have to work on what constitutes presentable..." she muses, but doesn't stop Will. She picks up another bundle of notes and flicks through it like a flip-book. She doesn't even really know how much it it, only that it's a lot. Enough that she doesn't really have to worry about anything right now. She can only imagine the look on Alessia's face when she notices that all her money disappeared. That alone would make it worth it, this is just a very welcome bonus, really.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Null » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:20 pm

A while later, after Miriam had McDucked, Will came back with a bottle of what looked like really, really good champagne!

...And a bag from McDonalds. I mean, that's 'food' by most definitions...

"So, how much money did you end up having? It looks like a lot!"
Null

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:55 pm

Miriam sits up from where she was lieing on the bed in a pile of money.

"No idea. Several million or there-about. She had a lot of money in that fund." she says, grinning. Then she sees the bag of McDonalds and she rolls her eyes a little. "Your blood's going to be disgusting after you eat that." she says, getting up and taking the champagne from him.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Null » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:14 pm

"I could get something else if you'd prefer," he said, a little confused.
Null

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:46 pm

"No, it's fine. You eat what you want to eat. I'll call room-service and order something fancier." she says, fiddling with the bottle before handing it back to Will. "Here, open this."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Null » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:45 pm

"Honestly? I thought you wanted the food, I don't need to eat," Will laughed, drilling one finger into the cork to pop open the champagne.
Null

Postby Miriam Bell » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:56 pm

"Not needing to and wanting to are two different things." she says, fetching two glasses and holding them out for Will to fill. "If you would."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Null » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:19 pm

Will obediently started pouring the champagne.

"Well, I don't know if I want to or not. I'll admit, I'm still a little...fuzzy."
Null

Postby Miriam Bell » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:42 pm

"We'll get that sorted. Just see it as a chance to rediscover things, taste things again for the first time. Like this champagne." she says, holding out one glass to Will.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Null » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:19 pm

Will took it, and took a tentative sip.

"It's very bubbly. I think I like that. I think.

Did I get to have champagne at the old place?"
Null

Postby Miriam Bell » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:18 pm

"I doubt it. It's expensive and not everyone has a suitcase full of cash." she says, taking a sip herself. "To new things and having the freedom and money to try them."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Null » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:28 pm

"To freedom," Will said, ironically.

As he drank, Miriam could tell he felt...happier. Happier than when he was there as a friend trying to help her out of a jam, and, frankly, happier than he had been at university for quite some time. Simplicity was bliss, apparently.
Null

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:54 pm

"Who knew revenge could be this rewarding." she chuckles and downs her glass of expensive bubble water. Miriam's already feeling pretty good and Will's mood is at least a little bit infectious on top of it. "And now we can move on and settle the smaller things, like finding a more permanent place to stay and fixing your... sense of style."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Null » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:56 am

"Something's wrong with my sense of style?" Will frowned.
Null

Postby Miriam Bell » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:55 am

"Well, maybe not wrong..." she says, briefly wondering why she's bothering being polite about this. "But not quite in line with my personal style. So we'll make some adjustments to your... basic human form."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Null » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:22 pm

"That seems fair enough," Will nodded. "Was this form...uh, customized at the university? Like, green is the school's colors?"
Null

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to London