Time To Raise The Dead

Located on the River Thames, London has been a major settlement for two millennia. The low-income borough of Lambeth has been largely taken over by London's mutant population and is now known as Mutant Town.

Time To Raise The Dead

Postby Narrator » Tue May 22, 2018 6:40 pm

Some time after Miriam's windfall and just after sunset, her phone begins ringing with a blocked number.
Narrator
Site Admin

Re: Time To Raise The Dead

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue May 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Miriam stretches as she sits up on the luxurious bed in her new penthouse, the window of the bedroom sealed. Not quite as comfortable as Will's capsule, but occasionally she needed to send her out on errands during the day. She reaches for her phone and answers without thinking to check who it could be.

"Yes?" she mumbles groggily.
Miriam Bell
Student

High Concept: Sorrowful Telepath
Aspect: Powerful Enemies
Aspect: Structural Shadow

Postby Alessia Abate » Tue May 22, 2018 6:54 pm

"You think you're clever, don't you?" The voice was certainly familiar and laced with anger.
Alessia Abate

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue May 22, 2018 7:01 pm

And just like that Miriam is wide-awake.

"Alessia? To what do I owe the honors? I thought you'd bailed."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Alessia Abate » Tue May 22, 2018 7:08 pm

"Someone in London emptied my UBS accounts and the only person I know of who could have convinced that manager that it was me doing it is you. You know, there are other ways to get my attention and if you wanted more money, all you needed to do was ask."
Alessia Abate

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue May 22, 2018 7:15 pm

"What are you talking about? Somebody stole your money? I feel flattered you think I could pull that off, but I'm pretty sure they have stricter security measures than someone walking in and asking real nicely."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Alessia Abate » Tue May 22, 2018 7:31 pm

"Don't play ignorant with me, Miriam. I've just had to convince the Inner Council that taking your blood would be a waste. Don't make me wish I had let them have their way."
Alessia Abate

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed May 23, 2018 1:45 am

The advantage of being dead is that she can just stop breathing altogether to collect herself and keep her voice steady before opening her mouth again. Proof or cleverness wouldn't really matter if Alessia decided to come after her, would it?

"Look, I don't know what is going on and you're obviously upset, but I don't appreciate you taking it out on me with these threats."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Alessia Abate » Wed May 23, 2018 2:29 pm

"Fine. Continue to play ignorant. I was hoping you'd have the good sense to come clean. The loss of the money is an insult, especially when we tried to provide for you, but we've spun the generous donations in our favor, so the actual harm was not as bad as it could have been. But you seem intent on repeating my grandfather's failing of grasping for too much too quickly."
Alessia Abate

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed May 23, 2018 3:13 pm

"Let me make something clear for you, Alessia. I don't need your pity, be it in the form of those poor girls you send to my doorstep or by making myself dependent on your trustfund. You've taken enough from me already." Miriam snaps at her.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Alessia Abate » Wed May 23, 2018 3:28 pm

"You thought that was pity? Pity would have been giving you the phone number of the local blood bank and just enough money to pay rent at a hostel. What I did was provide for you. Given enough time, I could have arranged to bring you to Italy. You've nearly hopelessly complicated that now."
Alessia Abate

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed May 23, 2018 3:51 pm

"I'm so sorry that somebody threw a wrench into the plans you were making for me."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Alessia Abate » Wed May 23, 2018 3:55 pm

"You could have gone somewhere else. We have family in other places. I just thought you might have liked to be with me again."
Alessia Abate

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed May 23, 2018 4:35 pm

"After what happened? You have some nerve, Alessia."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Alessia Abate » Wed May 23, 2018 5:21 pm

"You don't know what you're talking about. Once I found out what my grandfather had done, I called in some favors and got the permissions I needed and then I dealt with him personally." Something about the way she says that makes something deep inside Miriam shudder, if only for a moment. "I had to leave so abruptly because your 'friends' would not have taken time to sort out collaborators from those of us who were in the dark. I did the best I could for you under the circumstances and was intending to do more."
Alessia Abate

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed May 23, 2018 5:40 pm

"I let you sway me once. It's not happening again. You've done plenty for me already, thanks."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Alessia Abate » Wed May 23, 2018 5:47 pm

Alessia either couldn't or chose not to hide the disappointment in her voice. "I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping you'd be willing to be by my side now that I'm in charge."
Alessia Abate

Postby Miriam Bell » Thu May 24, 2018 3:17 pm

"I'm doing just fine by myself, thanks. I don't speak Italian anyway." she says in that overly polite tone that's obviously meant to be rude.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Alessia Abate » Fri May 25, 2018 1:44 am

"I'll give the Council your regards then. Enjoy your life, vaffanculo," she says in an overly sweet tone. The call ends.
Alessia Abate

Postby Miriam Bell » Fri May 25, 2018 4:35 pm

Miriam can tell when she's being insulted, even if she doesn't speak the language. "Good riddance." she mumbles at the phone in her hand, then seems to realize something as she stares at it. "Bloody hell!" She drops the phone as if it bit her and drives the heel of her foot down on it repeatedly until it cracks. She swiftly kneels down to pick it up and pry it apart entirely with her hands, fishing out the SIM card and snapping it in half.
Miriam Bell
Student

Topic attributes:

Return to London