It Is A Mystery...

Located on the River Thames, London has been a major settlement for two millennia. The low-income borough of Lambeth has been largely taken over by London's mutant population and is now known as Mutant Town.

Re: It Is A Mystery...

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:46 am

Basil refrained from sounding too amused with her.

"Would you like my help or do you want to pick out the food on your own?"
Basil Benson
Student

High Concept: Unwitting Heir to a Secret Legacy
Aspect: More Money Than Sense
Aspect: Ward of Unwanted Protectors
Aspect: Inconsistently Invisible
Aspect: Weirdness Magnet
Aspect: Covert Pervert

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:09 am

"Well, how familiar are you wiz Indian cuisine?" Colette asked, spending more time looking at the desserts than anything else.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

High Concept: Dreamer Despite the Odds
Aspect: Density Is Not a Formality
Aspect: Everything is Sexier In France
Aspect: Beware the Cute Ones
Aspect: Hair of Goo, Heart of Gold

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:32 am

"Extremely." He replied, sounding a bit amused.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:38 am

Colette smiled softly. "Alright. Zen I want you to order me ze best dish possible. And I will ask ze waitress what she zinks of your selection."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:06 am

"I have a better idea.

I'm going to pick what I think is best for you and if I am wrong then I guess I will just have to keep dragging you to curry joints over and over until I get it right." He joked as dry as ever, though there was hidden in there a bit more flirtation.

When the waitress re-appeared with their snacks and drinks, Basil ordered coconut prawn curry and something called Tandoori.

The waitress had laid out some kind of flat bread and a little serving tray filled with three different spreads, an orange coloured one that looked like it might have fruit or carrots in it, a green one, and a brown one.

"Let's see..." he said " Mango, Green Chile, and Tamarind and Date, I think." He stated, trying to give Colette an idea of what she was about to stuff in her mouth.

Basil took a piece of bread and broke it up with his hands into much smaller pieces. He would wait for Colette to make her choices before using the tiny serving spoons and putting a little tasting of each flavor singularly upon the pieces.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:21 am

"Dzis could turn into a very long night zen." Truth be told, Colette would probably have been satisfied with a hotdog - despite how she praised the artistry of cooking she wasn't particularly picky about what she ate.

The pink girl was a little surprised at the nature of the drink brought to her, thinking it to be some sort of milkshake at first. She took a sip while watching the careful ritual performed by Basil in the breaking of the bread and the spooning of the spreads. Which was fortunate, as she probably would have just dipped the bread straight into the sauces. Slender fingers reached out and plucked one of the mango-topped pieces and popped it into her mouth, the girl emitting a satisfied "mmm" as she savoured the textures and flavours.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:53 am

Basil's neurotic behavior actually wasn't the norm, but he didn't seem to mind when she took one. Sharing is caring.

"Glad you like it." He commented, picking up a piece and floating it mid air.

"I'm still not certain if this date is going to make you hate me forever, or if I'm going to cement the idea in your head that I am a genius for very lackluster reasons." He joked.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:55 pm

"Oh Basil, why would I ever hate you?" Colette seemed to have taken his joke a little more seriously than he had intended. "I mean, I have heard stories about how spicy Indian cuisine can be, but zat is hardly your fault. It will be a trial by fire, non? Seeing if I can handle eating in a normal restaurant like a big girl?"

She also seemed to think that he was making those little snacks for her to sample rather than for himself, snagging one of the tamarind jam'd pieces of bread and popping that in her mouth, where it disappeared with another satisfied little "mm". At least she'd been polite enough to become opaque, Basil didn't need to see that thick white beverage floating inside her head all night.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:21 pm

Basil kept his amusement at her thievery to himself, but only because his expressions were hidden by his invisibility. If he wanted more snicky snacks, he would handle that once these were gone.

"Actually I was speaking more on what is to come. With the amount of alcohol you can ingest before feeling it, I used reasonable deduction to conclude that capsaicin probably wouldn't be an issue." He laughed.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:53 am

"Captain whom?" Colette asked with wide curious eyes, cheek puffed out with bread.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:47 pm

"Capsaicin." He repeated gently in his story time voice that came naturally to him when explaining something.

"It's a chemical compound that's an irritant to mammals and what makes food taste spicy, as it messes with our mucous membranes. Specifically, our mouths, throats, noses, and eyes as they're all in relative position to each other when we eat it, though that isn't the only thing on our bodies it can mess with.

I'm blathering aren't I?" He realized after a moment. " Apologies, what I'm trying to say is I considered Indian before the last place but I didn't think it would impress you as you seem to be extremely resilient to ingested toxins in a way most aren't."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:58 am

"Zis food is toxic?" Colette considered it for a moment. "Well I... have no idea how zis will affect me. I am... excited to see zese results!"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:19 am

Basil laughed, and left that topic at that.

They did a bit of chatting of the normal 'getting to know you' variety. It occurred to Basil that a lot of their conversations had more to do with his dramatic nonsense than anything else, but he was eager to get to know Colette better. In the interim conversation Basil had admitted to liking majorly bands from the 80s of the British variety (though he didn't go into why) and showtunes, fruit flavoured sweets (especially gummies), and cats over dogs, except for corgis.

When the food came, the two had a plate of bright orange chicken pieces that looked grilled with onions and peppers, and another with something that looked like a yellow stew filled with shrimp. A bowl of Basmati rice was set out as well as two plates.

"Enjoy!" The waitress said, walking away.

Basil pointed, identifying the orange coloured chicken as Tandoori, and the other as Coconut Prawn Curry.

"The curry is the one you'll probably like better."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:03 am

Colette didn't have as much to share as Basil did, having led a more sheltered lifestyle. Her taste in music was all over the place from listening to old records and the radio, and later from music randomizers online. She was surprisingly well-read, she was a voracious reader as a child and her mother would borrow as many books from the local library as she could. Of course when it came to sweets she loved everything, but her favorites tended to be hard candies or ones made with real fruit or nuts. As for pets... dogs barked at the sight of her, and cats didn't much care for her as after a single pet they would go off to clean themselves. She did however have a fondness for birds, pigeons and ducks especially.

When the food arrived Colette stared at it curiously, watching Basil serve himself before she took up some rice, covering it in the vibrantly yellow shrimp curry and placing a bit of chicken to the side. She scooped up a forkful and, after steadying herself, took a bite.

The girl's eyes went wide, the fork protruding from her mouth. And she was silent.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:13 am

"Is that... bad?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 am

Colette's eyes practically sparkled. Oh no. It was going to be different Indian dishes for the next few months. She had discovered something new, and now she had to know EVERYTHING about it.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:13 am

Basil was silently 'staring' at his date not really sure if these were good or bad responses at first.

But once her face lit up, he laughed.

"Glad you like it. Was a bit concerned there for a moment."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:29 pm

"Zese flavours, zey do not so much compliment each ozer... as zey contrast. I have never eaten a dish quite like zis before."

If Colette found it too spicy she certainly didn't say anything about it, though she was drinking a lot of her yoghurt beverage; dairy was good at reducing the spiciness of peppers. She ate enthusiastically though not ravenously, having SOME manners. By the time she neared the end of her first serving her skin tone had shifted from pink to a dull yellowish orange.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:44 pm

Basil hadn't touched what he ordered for Colette, instead nibbling on his chicken in relative silence, until he noticed her turning turmeric.

"Guess black was the best choice." He joked. "Not sure how that dress would look in blue now."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:56 am

Colette tilted her head, looking down at her gloved hands. "Oh no, did I spill some?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:19 am

"No." He replied, sounding amused. "Immaculate as always. Though a bit more... tawny than I remember."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Colette blinked, a thing she learned more as a means of expressing confusion or listening rather than any actual need to do it. Her furrowed brow showed that she didn't understand what Basil was referring to, but a glance at her reflection in the window elicited a tiny "ulp" out of her.

"Oh, oh my! Zis usually only happens wiz very strong food dyes. Oh my, now I resemble a bumble bee!"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:35 pm

"Curry is known to stain." He states, trying not too sound too amused so he didn't seem as if he was poking fun at her.

"You look just as vibrate as always, don't let it ruin your meal.

Anyways, bumblebee colours are Hufflepuff colours, good colours to be."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:39 am

"Oh my, I should be careful zem. Were I to stain your cheek wiz different colours zroughout ze night, what might persons say?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:10 pm

Basil sat very still for a moment, seemingly looking at Colette. Colette could figuratively see the wheels turning in his mind on how to respond.

After a moment she could see them in a more literal sense. Basil was visible, looking at her with an expression of mixed emotions. Amused and flirty. But whatever appetite might have been peeking out of his expression was tamed for a public audience.

"Well considering the likelihood of their drunkenness, probably something like ' why is that rainbow floating.' "
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:03 pm

Colette's eyes sparkled a bit as the girl fought to contain her excitement. She didn't want to risk startling Basil and having him slip back into transparency again.

"Well, I zink zat is a razer fun goal for zis evening, do you not? So we should begin immediately." She leaned far over the table to plant a little peck perfectly upon his cheekbone, her good aim probably a little startling to him if he didn't know how good of a target he was making himself at that moment.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:59 pm

Even though his normal haircut was A-symmetrical, her date had somehow managed to get all of his curls slicked back against his head, making his face that much easier to kiss. Basil closed the eye on the side she went for and giggled a bit, but as he opened it again he did noticed his own, visible hand. He stared at it, flexing his fingers and examining them as he realized it was happening again.

But thankfully it didn't freak him out. His expression was a bittersweet smile, happy that it was happening again, but sad knowing it wasn't going to stay.

Then he squished it down inside his English decorum with a smarmy grin.

"That's cheating. Eat your curry. "
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:27 pm

"No, it is a reward, and encouragement." Colette corrected Basil before she continued eating her meal like a good girl.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:23 am

Basil's brow tilted up, the smirk remaining on his face. His fork began bobbing back and forth between this thumb and index finger, his visibility shedding light on one of his nervous ticks.

"Are you absolutely certain you want to encourage me?" Basil asked. "Sounds to me you might be writing checks you may not want to cash."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:33 pm

"Well, I hope zat you do not mind if I 'talk shop'... is zat ze term? Regardless...," Colette placed a gloved hand atop of Basil's other hand.

"A few weeks ago, you believed zat you would never be visible ever again. Not long ago, you believed zat you had done as a fluke what you have done tonight, and never would again. I have always believed in you Basil, and if showing my belief and offering some... positive reinforcement helps you to master yourself, zen I am happy to do so.

"But if zose events had never occurred, zey would not change how I feel about you. So, you have everyzing to gain, and nozing to lose."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:45 pm

Basil chuckled ruefully, feeling like perhaps he was being too subtle but realizing that being too overt so quickly might cause her to despise him.

He cleared his throat.

"Yes, of course. I'll keep that in mind."

And then Basil disappeared again, as he does. He noticed, but didn't say anything or make any commotion. Instead, he sighed and sat still for a moment in thought.

Then he checked his watch.

"We should finish up, our appointment is soon."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:30 pm

Perhaps he was being too subtle, or perhaps Colette knew exactly what he was alluding to. Who could say. She gave him a soft, reassuring smile as he faded from sight once more, her hand still upon his. "Oh, right. Dessert to go? Or perhaps some ice cream after?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:08 am

"I think you'll have your fill of sugar at the next place but if you don't I'll make certain you get yourself filled with something sweet by the end of the night. I can promise you that."

It almost sounded like flirting but if it was it didn't make a hell of a lot of sense.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:10 am

"Now zat is a stretch of an innuendo." Colette was busy polishing off her plate, further spicing her yellow hue.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:22 am

"I just meant I'd stop at Boots and get you a MARS bar if all else failed me." He laughed awkwardly.

Once the two of them finished their meals< Basil ushered them swiftly towards another establishment several blocks up the street.

The establishment he stopped outside of had no lit sign, only a name on a door that matched the business card Basil had sent her in his letter.

'Evans and Peel Detective Agency'.

"Did you come up with a story like you were advised to?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:24 am

"Oh yes. I work as a clerk at Marshall & Snelgrove, on ze corner of Vere street on Norz Oxford. My parents sent me to England because zey fear for my safety should ze Germans invade, I hope zat zey will be able to join me soon.

"And you?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:05 am

"My story is inconsequential and only a back up to yours incase they're not interested in letting us in.

Did you come up with some reason we're here, needing the services of a private eye? "
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:50 am

Colette tilted her head for a moment before she smiled. "Oh, someone has sent me a letter in an attempt to blackmail me, claiming zey have some... interesting photographs. And I would prefer zat zey never see the light of day."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:23 am

"Cheeky." He said, stopping to stare at her for a moment before his torso turned away and hit the buzzer with his thumb. The pair would hear a lock release, and Basil would open the door for Colette.

"After you my dear."

If Colette looked ahead of her, what was in front of her was a narrow staircase leading her down, she could not see what was at the other end due to the way it weaved around a corner.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:12 am

"Zank you, kind sir." Colette smiled softly, lifting the hem of her dress as she carefully descended the staircase, leading to parts unknown, looking more at the stairs than the decor to ensure she didn't take a tumble.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

PreviousNext

Topic attributes:

Return to London