"As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be."

Located on the River Thames, London has been a major settlement for two millennia. The low-income borough of Lambeth has been largely taken over by London's mutant population and is now known as Mutant Town.

Re: "As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be."

Postby Basil Benson » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:30 pm

"It's not a problem if you're just in it for fun. But if you expect it to last, you're mistaken.

Basil can't marry you. You know that, right?" She states, her brow furrowed as if she was asking in concern for the gelatinous girl and not for her grandson.
Basil Benson
Student

High Concept: Unwitting Heir to a Secret Legacy
Aspect: More Money Than Sense
Aspect: Ward of Unwanted Protectors
Aspect: Inconsistently Invisible
Aspect: Weirdness Magnet
Aspect: Covert Pervert

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:35 pm

"Zat... is looking razer far ahead Madam. Basil and I have on less zan a handful of dates. It is a little early for you to... worry."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

High Concept: Dreamer Despite the Odds
Aspect: Density Is Not a Formality
Aspect: Everything is Sexier In France
Aspect: Beware the Cute Ones
Aspect: Hair of Goo, Heart of Gold

Postby Basil Benson » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:46 pm

Esther sighs, pushing up her heavy plastic framed glasses. She doesn't seem mad, perhaps just a little exasperated with youth in general.

"He's getting older. He may still be learning the ropes but he's not a boy anymore, as much as it pains me to recognize that. According to our ways he stopped being a boy six years ago. And in British terms, he stopped being a boy last year when he gained the last of his adult rights.

My point is, there's going to come a time when he has to stop following in his gentile fathers footsteps and stop playing with women. There will come a time when he will have to do what's required of him. And he can't do that with you." Esther replies, assuming no one has told Colette this already.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:36 am

"Basil... is not playing wiz me. He has gone zrough great pains to make zis clear to me." Colette spoke slowly but politely as she handled the sprouts. "I do not see why I could not remain a part of his life in ze future, if zat is what he wishes."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:43 am

"Because this isn't about what Basil wants, but Basil's responsibility."

Esther says back, drying her hands from washing them so she can start another task. She wasn't looking at Colette as she moved about.

"Even though you're not one of us, I'm sure you can understand that. All adults have responsibilities."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:47 am

Colette furrowed her brow. "I... I am afraid I do not understand. What responsibility is it zat Basil must uphold?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:09 am

With a clatter, Esther removed a baking pan. She then looked Colette in the eye, and began to explain in a very calm tone what she meant.

"When a Jewish woman marries and has children with a gentile man, it's generally frowned upon but it's not forbidden. This is because any children that a Jewish woman has, in the eyes of the synagogue, are also Jewish. But if a Jewish man takes a gentile wife, any children they have will not be Jewish.

Basil was born to a Jewish woman, which means he's one of us. But if Basil marries you, my great grandchildren won't be Jewish because he can't have Jewish children. Only Jewish women can.

Furthermore, a Jewish man is to know this and if he takes a gentile wife he is not fulfilling his responsibility as a Jewish man to his people and he will be removed from the community, since he cannot actively engage in the breaking of the laws of the community and be a member of it at the same time.

I'm not allowing him to shrug off his responsibilities to his people, so you and him aren't going to work out."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:25 am

Colette listened with a stupefied expression on her face. She knew that grandmothers were obsessed with getting grandchildren and great-grandchildren, but this was a bit more extreme than she had ever experienced.

"But... I could simply convert.My fazer did zis when marrying my mozer. Not zat zey were married in a church...."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:37 am

"That'd be true if we were Reform.

We're Orthodox, so that doesn't solve the problem."

Like her daughter, Esther too it seemed had a need to exert control over Basil. But her's was much more subtle and carefully crafted. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:46 am

Colette thought about this for a moment before she shrugged her shoulders. "Oh, well if zere would be no benefit for me to convert to Judaism, zen I suppose zat Basil would have to convert to Roman Catholicism instead. We will just have to wait and see what ze future holds."

Colette began bending the asparagus shoots until the woody parts snapped off, humming sweetly as she did so.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:04 am

Esther scoffed. "Yes, I suppose we will at that."

---

Esther worked in relative silence for some time, the only further comments she made to Colette were all polite instructions on how she could further help with the meal.

When it seemed they were just about done with prep work, the door opened and a familiar voice called out.

" Mom! I'm here!" The patterned click of high heels made it's way towards the kitchen, and the glamorous woman who birthed her invisible boyfriend was now staring at Colette. After a moment's recognition, she smirked.

"Wow, what has it been? Two, three months?

Not a record, but I'm surprised you've lasted this long. Hell, I'm surprised you've lasted this long in the kitchen with my mother. I run screaming after a night in this kitchen."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:56 am

Colette flashed Basil's mother a pink-toothed smile, putting her customer service practice to good use.

"Hello Madam! Oh, you do your mozer a disservice by saying such zings. We have been having a lovely time togezer, have we not?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:53 am

"Oh yea. Barrell a'monkeys."

"Well, you do both have that domestic thing going for you I suppose." She stated, dropping a bag on the counter.

"I brought sweets."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:37 am

"Well, a nice meal makes ozers happy, so I enjoy doing my part to make zem happy."

Colette's pink eyes sparkled at the mention of sweets. "Ooh, are zey suf... sufgeen..." Colette scrunched up her face a bit in her attempts to pronounce the word "sufganiyot", which she managed with some terrible butchering due to her accent. The girl had been doing her homework it seemed.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:55 am

Esther laughed. "No child. That would require Jessica to go out of her way to go to a Jewish establishment and equal herself to the slovenly masses, neither of which are things she has done in years, save the occasional holiday visit.

And she definitely does not cook."

"Wasn't it your job to teach me how to cook?" Jessica counterargued before Esther had finished, dropping what appeared to be a box of candies from someplace fancy.

"You didn't want to, so I didn't force you to learn. I don't know if you realize this but forcing girls to learn things that are stereotypically their 'role' is kind of everything that my type doesn't stand for."

She motioned with a knife to the plate of 'jelly donut' like objects under the glass on a serving tray, which she had moved out of their way during their work.

"That is sufganiyot. Feel free to take one, you've earned it.

Just try to keep the boys from ruining their dinner on them. Apricot is Basil's favourite.

Oh, and put the knife you used in the blue bin in the sink."
Colette would notice two plastic bins in opposite sides of the sink, one in each basin.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:38 am

"Oh, I will not tell zem if you do not." Colette was content to keep the treats a secret, placing her knife in the sink as she was told before claiming her reward, popping the pastry into her mouth and closing her eyes with a satisfied look on her face. Sweets were a good way of keeping the girl quiet, at least for a moment.

"Mmm, formidable." She said softly, before letting herself be brought back to the world around her. "I had been hoping to try and make zese myself during my visit. Perhaps if we do undertake size endeavour we will use butter instead of margarine?"

Of course it wasn't until she'd made the suggestion that Colette realized that it could be interpreted as a criticism of a grandmother's cooking in her own kitchen.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:50 am

Esther scoffed. She wasn't insulted at all, but that was probably because Esther already knew Colette was an uninformed Gentile.

"Perhaps if you're still here tomorrow I will show you how. We'll make it a dairy dinner day. Basil could use some fattening up anyways. Boy's not big enough for my liking."

"Perhaps she prefers him skinny mother. No one's angling for love handles on their boyfriend."

"You'd be the expert." Esther commented back casually to Jessica.

"Why don't you go and tell the boys the food will be done soon. They should come inside and wash up if they're not already done."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:55 am

"Of course, I will tell zem at once. Please, pardon me." Colette carefully folded a tea towel and gently placed it on the counter before she retrieved her long gloves, carrying them out of the kitchen as she made her way toward the backyard. Between there and the kitchen she had to stop and steady herself. She wasn't stupid, she'd caught every little hint, every little insult or insinuation directed at her. And it had been so difficult to pretend not to notice, not to say anything in return. Colette loved spending time in a kitchen but here it was like being in a pit surrounded by vipers who when not hissing at her would strike at each other.

Her shoulders relaxed, the girl effortlessly slipping her hands back into the gloves, the fingers filling up like she were inflating them. Now that she was properly dressed again she made her way into the backyard in search of Basil and his grandfather.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:42 am

Colette would find Basil and Amit having a grand old time, chuckling about something between themselves. Unfortunately whatever it was they were talking about was hidden to Colette, as they seemed to be talking in something akin to German mixed with a bunch of other sounds that might as well have been Shari's home world language for all the good it did Colette to listen to it.

Basil was at the top of a ladder, with Amit holding a bucket under him. Both men were wearing coveralls to keep their nice things clean, and it was probably the most pedestrian Colette had ever and potentially will ever see Basil in his life. They didn't seem to notice her approach as they chattered away.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:21 am

Colette watched the two of them for a moment. It really was a sight to behold, Basil being dressed... well, like a mechanic or something. Certainly not a trade she'd peg him for. Men with his means wound up being executives or managing banks, or if they really enjoyed being hands-on in their work they crewed sailboats for a living. So of course it looked a little ridiculous to her, though she kept that to herself.

"Baseel, Monsieur Ahmeet. Madame Stolarz wishes you to come inside and clean up before we eat."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:44 am

"Ah! Food! Excellent! " Amit proclaimed in English. "We can do the rest of this tomorrow Krolik."

Basil didn't seemed thrilled with that concept but none the less he jumped down from the ladder, turning to look at Colette with muck on his face.

"Alright then." Basil smiled at Colette as Amit went ahead of them.

"Everything going alright so far?" He asked, knowing Colette was worried about her mutation upsetting people.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:14 am

"Oh yes, everyzing is... progressing. I even found somezing zat your mozer and grandmozer agree upon. It is zat zey do not care for my presence here."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:25 pm

Amit didn't seem to be paying attention. Key word being seem.

"Awww, lookit that. Bringing the family together already." He joked in his sardonic fashion.

"She's just testing you love. Stay resilient."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:37 pm

"Well, I did not cry. Is zat ze test?" Colette asked. "Because I do not know if I will pass if zis continues."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:34 pm

"Do you want to go?" Basil asked in a concerned tone. "We can go."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:46 pm

Colette took a deep breath, despite not needing to.

"No. I can do zis. If I want you to be a part of my life and myself a part of yours, zen I must learn to deal wiz and accept what zat entails."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:16 am

"Okay. Let's go back in then."

Basil would follow her in, and disappear to get washed up. He would leave her to her own devices in the living room, hoping to give her more time to decompress before going back into the fray.

When he returned, he was wearing a Yarmulke that almost matched the one that had been on his grandfather all day.

"Ready?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:29 am

In the living room Colette did what most people do when left alone in the living room of a home they've never been in before. She slowly made her way around the perimeter, taking the time to examine the photographs and bobbles on the tables and mantle. She tried to guess the significance and context of seemingly unimportant objects, whether they were just decoration or if they were mementos and if so what memories they might connote. She carefully placed a framed photograph back upon a small side table once Basil had joined her again and smiled at him.

"Oh, you look so handsome." She cooed, stepping toward him and reaching her slender hands up to delicately reposition his little hat. She half-suspected he would have a sense of Deja vu when he entered the dining room as she believed that his grandmother would probably say and do as she just had.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:46 pm

There were tons of pictures of a younger Basil in the living room, as well as other children. One photo had no less that 15 younger people in it, Basil included, indicating the other siblings not Jessica got pretty busy.

There was a single photo of Jessica and a young man in shades, a hat, and designer stubble that wasn't in any of the other photographs.

"How can you tell love?" Asked the currently invisible man.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:48 am

"Ze same way I could tell zat it was not on straight. Because I know you. And when I close my eyes, I can see your face plain as day." Colette stood on her toes to give Basil's cheek a light peck.

"Zough on occasions like zis I wish you were a telepaz instead." She quipped.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:14 am

"Well, you could just say what you're thinking. " He observed playfully, then added on a more serious note-

"Sam and Dr. Terrance think I am, but I don't know why.

Do they make them in a non-mind reading variety?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:34 pm

"Oh, I do not zink zat would be a good idea. It is bad enough zat I do not know many of ze... customs of ze household. It would be best not to make my ignorance more obvious zan it already is."

She thought about Basil's question for a moment. "Well, zere are empazs, but zat has to do wiz feelings. Some sort of mental illusionist makes some sense... when playing a card trick, why pick zeir card when you can just make zem zink you picked their card?" She tapped her chin lightly in thought. "Zough perhaps we are all a little telepazic. I have heard stories about people just having a feeling zat somezing was wrong, and finding out zat someone else was in jeopardy."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:10 am

"I doubt that is what they mean." Basil observes.

Before there is more thought on the subject, they were called after by Esther. Basil took Colette's hand and lead her into the kitchen where the rest of the family had been waiting on them, a menorah set out in the dining room table unlit, to be placed in the window.

Upon entering the dining room, Basil's chatter fell silent and Colette would immediately fell the reverence in the room for what was about to follow.

His grandfather now moving to start lighting, the others start some sort of song that she cannot understand, but Colette would be vaguely familiar with this part of everything from Basil's revealed memories.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:46 pm

As bubbly and chatty as Colette could be even she knew when to be silent. And that was what she was hoping would get her through the night; if she didn't speak unless spoken to there was less chance of her messing up what was obviously a very important night for a very traditional family. So she sat and kept her head down, unable to remember the words but at least able to mutter the tune.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Colette's presence was mostly ignored without her active involvement, but no one seemed to be acting like she was unwelcome right at the moment.

Colette could tell Basil was 'going through the motions', though his lack of comfort seemed obvious only to her.

Once the Menorah was lit and in the window, Amit exclaimed -

"Let's eat!" Clapping his hands together and rubbing them greedily.

Dinner turned out to be brisket and oven roasted vegetables and probably nothing that would either offend nor excite Colette in the fashion that it wasn't carb or sugar based.

The two older women didn't exactly load their plates, though Esther fussed about it when Basil likewise didn't put much on his own plate and he ended up with more on there than what Colette would normally see him eat.

Once everyone was served, they ate in silence for several moments, until Amit looked up and noticed the awkwardness. He cleared his throat and took a sip of his drink, then spoke.

"Madam Rosenhof, tell us. What are your interests besides confections?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:12 am

Colette may have been a sugar fiend but that didn't mean she didn't appreciate more savory or traditional fare. She was actually a little worried she'd taken too much compared to everyone else, though seeing Basil being forced an extra serving helped to drive away that feeling. Her complexion was that opaque bubblegum colour that Basil was well used to by now but was new for the rest of the family.

"Hmm? Well, I enjoy cooking in general. I used to prepare meals for my parents, since I had ze time and zey were boz working. Zere is somezing very... comforting and satisfying about cooking for ozers, no? Ozer zan zis? Nozing too interesting I am afraid. Reading and watching movies mostly. Did you know zat many libraries allow you to stream movies from your home as long as you have a library card? It is quite convenient."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:08 am

She got a few odd looks from the women when her body colour changed, but no one said anything.

Amit had never really cooked, and the one responsible for that task in the house didn't respond. He wasn't sure how to reply until he heard the word 'library'.

"Ah! That must be how you met our krolik, yes? The library that he works at."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:57 pm

"Actually we first met each ozer in ze campus pub not long after I first arrived upon ze campus. But ze library is where we continued to bump into each ozer most often. Until we began seeing each ozer on purpose, zat is."

Colette hesitated for a moment. She was compelled to describe what a gentleman Basil had been when they first met, or how seriously he took his studies, but she didn't want to embarrass him. She she took the opportunity to shift the conversation elsewhere, if just for a moment.

"And you, monsieur Ah-meet, where did you and madame Esther first meet?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:28 am

"She yelled at me on the underground because she thought I was giving up my seat for her because she was a woman.

She did not see the pregnant lady who shuffled onto the train behind her.

It was love at first sight."

Esther made that scoffing sound again. "Sentimental old fool." She chided, but was smirking anyways
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:47 am

Colette could picture the scene in her mind, one that brought a smile to her face.

"Zat is so sweet."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

PreviousNext

Topic attributes:

Return to London