"As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be."

Located on the River Thames, London has been a major settlement for two millennia. The low-income borough of Lambeth has been largely taken over by London's mutant population and is now known as Mutant Town.

"As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be."

Postby Basil Benson » Wed May 24, 2017 2:36 am

The Stolarz lived in Greenwich. Basil mentioned it only in passing and to someone like Colette it probably didn't mean a hell of a lot other than a long ride on the train in some of the busiest times of the year, which meant wall to wall passengers.

Basil was very attentive not to lose her in the crowds, though perhaps less great about making sure she didn't get squished, though to be fair she wasn't made of flesh and bone like him, he did his best.

Next stop, Greenwich station." said the automated voice.

"Almost there love."
Basil Benson
Student

High Concept: Unwitting Heir to a Secret Legacy
Aspect: More Money Than Sense
Aspect: Ward of Unwanted Protectors
Aspect: Inconsistently Invisible
Aspect: Weirdness Magnet
Aspect: Covert Pervert

Re: "As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be."

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun May 28, 2017 3:47 am

Colette kept herself bundled up in a long, oversized coat; even her hands were hidden in her sleeves, just her head and lower legs protruding. Being so covered up protected her in two ways; from the cold of the onsetting winter, and from the dust and grime that came with public transit. She clung to Basil's arm out of nervousness, though it wasn't due to the traveling conditions. She wanted to ask him if he was certain that this was a good idea, but after the third or fourth time she found him getting a little annoyed or concerned about her reluctance, so she simply nodded. So much could go wrong, she hoped she didn't embarrass herself in front of Basil's family.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

High Concept: Dreamer Despite the Odds
Aspect: Density Is Not a Formality
Aspect: Everything is Sexier In France
Aspect: Beware the Cute Ones
Aspect: Hair of Goo, Heart of Gold

Postby Basil Benson » Sun May 28, 2017 12:51 pm

Basil was quite the mother hen when he was in the mind of it, helping Colette keep mindful of everything in the tubes and stations whether she wanted it or not, talking her off the ledge every time she got cold feet, and just generally fussing about her in general.

Making it to Greenwich meant the end of it, at least for now. As they stepped out of the station, Colette would be greeted with sights much more cozy than she was used to seeing around London despite the fact they were still technically in it.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue May 30, 2017 1:53 am

Even in more quaint and less busy surroundings Colette was nervous, staying close to Basil. She had lived her life cooped up in a flat with her parents; while her time spent at school was helping her learn how to socialize and be comfortable in crowds, the student body was a bit different than the general public. Still, the surroundings reminded her more of home, with the quaint shops and restaurants with awnings.

"Ah, zis is much better. Ze tube, she is stuffy."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue May 30, 2017 2:11 am

Basil let her snuggle in for a moment as he looked around and regained his bearings.

"Ah! There he is." Basil motioned with his head, and held onto her hand as he walked towards an elderly gentleman folding up his newspaper and stating 'dddaaaahhhh!' in frustration.

The man was quite old, and while his hair was kept quite short, his beard was very long. He didn't seem to resemble Basil much, except for one thing: the eyes. Passed to Jessica, then to Basil it seemed and just as blue as the ones belonging to daughter and grandson.

"Bazel!" He exclaimed at the invisible man. Apparently French wasn't the only 'not British' accent that butchered Basil's name. The elderly man grabbed him into a frail old man hug for a moment, before he let go again to look at Colette. "And, aaaaahhh.... Don't tell me...

Colette yes? Colette Rosenhof?" He seemed friendly enough, smiling behind that mass of hair on his face.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue May 30, 2017 4:02 am

Colette's eyes lit up when she saw this well-weathered old man take Basil into his arms and give him an affectionate embrace. To her it was like something out of the old books she'd read as a child, it seemed almost unreal that a person could live to be so ancient; but she was barely more than a child herself, even forty seemed far into the future.

"Ah, yes monsieur." Colette smiled and timidly offered the man her gloved hand, the fabric white and extending under the cuff of her oversized coat. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Monsieur... Ah-meet?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue May 30, 2017 4:28 am

"Ah, yes! Amit Stolarz It is a pleasure to meet you. Basil said many nice things about you on the telephone.

Come Ms.Rosenhof." Says the old man. "We will go to my car."

"I'll drive." Basil offers.

"Nonsense! I can still drive. I drove here, did I not?"

"Probably, no one said it was advised though." Basil joked back.

"Daaaaaahh! Cheeky boy." Amit replied, though clearly this was a word he learned over however long he'd been living here.

A very short walk around the corner to a 'park car' and Amit popped 'the boot' of the car, letting Basil put their things in while he himself opened the door for Colette to climb into the back seat of a Volkswagen Golf.

Once they were all in the man started conversing again.

"What part of France are you from Ms.Rosenhof?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed May 31, 2017 11:25 pm

Colette traveled surprisingly light for her, though not having to take items such as a toothbrush, hairdryer, etc. helped her to get the most out of a single rolling suitcase. The lack of any bone structure made it relatively simple for the girl to climb into the back seat, the buckling of her seatbelt more for show than any real protection. Hearing Basil and his grandfather quip made her smile, it was another little glimpse into his life and character that perhaps not everyone got to experience.

"Are you at all familiar wiz ze Moselle region of France, Monsieur Stolarz?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed May 31, 2017 11:35 pm

"A little. I have heard of it." He replied, keeping his eyes on the road.

He wasn't that bad at driving for an old man. Slow maybe, but no one was getting run over."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:47 am

"Zen you may not be familiar wiz ze city of Metz, but zis is where I am from. It is near ze border wiz Germany and Luxembourg if zis is of any help. It is built upon ze banks of a river as well, so it is not too different from London in zat regard.

"Have you lived in London your entire life, Monsieur Stolarz?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:00 am

"No." He replied, somewhat abruptly.

"I was born in Warsaw. I came here when I was ten. Kindertransport."

At the word, Basil leaned in with the short version. "He's a refugee."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:10 am

"Oh! Oh, I am very sorry." Colette touched her fingers together as she tried to get over putting her foot in her mouth.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:16 am

"Do not be sorry child." He replied with a smile. "It has been over seventy years since then. It is a wound that has scarred over. It is just not a topic I usually bring up so early with people, yes?" He replies. Apparently the old man has fine enough hearing for being ancient.

"Your school brings you here, yes? Basil tells me you want to be a ... eeeehhh..." He asked, changing the topic but seeming to lose track of it for a moment.

"Confectioner Zayde."

"Yes! Like Willy Wonka?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:53 am

"Yes, I suppose zat it can be an awkward topic of conversation. Still, I have heard zat Warsaw is a city that has healed significantly in ze past twenty-six years, perhaps seeing zis healing in person might be..." She trailed off, realizing that she was overstepping and prying, never finishing her sentence. The change in subject matter was a welcome one.

"Ah, yes! Like Monsieur Wonka! Only not quite so dangerous for children. At least I hope not to be so."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:13 am

"In a Dahl story, you would be the sweet unfortunate soul accepted into a group full of misfits. Not the well meaning but crackpot adult." Basil mused.

" Would you stay here or would you go back to Paris to open your store?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:31 am

Colette gave Basil's arm a little shove before hugging it.

"Oh, imagine, opening a shop in Paris!" Her eyes practically sparkled. "My own La mère de Famille..." She shook her head. "No, I do not zink I could be so bold. But home in Metz? Perhaps. I should begin selling on ze campus first zough. Who knows, perhaps ze students would provide enough business zat a little store in Maldon would be possible."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:57 am

"I'd start small. Christmas is around the corner, and then Valentine's day, both holidays where people might buy candy to give to others."

"Sounds to me like you already have a business mind. I am sure things will go wonderful for you."

-----

As Basil had said, his grandfather at least was amiable enough. Leather interior probably helped with that though.

It'd only be a short ride to a humble house a bit away from the train station. It was an unassuming brick building that seemed large enough for a multi-child family, but was now only up kept by an elderly couple. The window was familiar to Colette, she'd looked into it before, in Basil's mind.

"I'll get the bags Zayde, you have done enough."

"Yes, I think so too." He joked. "I'm going to sit and rest my feet, you can lock it up when you are done." He states, throwing to the keys to Basil. "See you inside."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:42 am

"Zank you." Colette answered softly, a little touched at the confidence that both of these men had in her.

-----

The familiarity of the Stolarz household's exterior was one of the first things Colette noticed, but thought it best not to mention, especially not in front of Basil's grandfather. It would be a bit difficult to explain, and Basil himself might not appreciate being reminded of that particular event. So instead she helped Basil with the luggage before she'd follow him inside.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:26 am

"You've met the good cop. If you can pass inspection of bad cop then you're in the clear.

Don't even try to impress mother, it's not possible." Basil stated as he pulled out a piece of luggage.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:10 am

"Oh no, I totally forgot about you mozer. I do not zink she cares for me very much. We... did not part of ze best terms when last we met."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:36 am

Basil stopped and faced Colette for a moment, clearly thinking on something. "When did--?"

He paused again, then his collar went back."Ooooohhh! Right! Sorry. Those memories come back a bit... fuzzy sometimes...

Anyways, just don't even bother trying to get her to like you. Mother doesn't like anyone, herself included."

Basil took all the bags and lead the way in, even managing somehow to open the door for Colette with his hands full, though he let her go in first. She'd walk into a living area of a home. It was well kept, but somewhat dated like most homes belonging to the elderly. Two recliners (one of which Amit was already falling asleep in, but he did look at them lethargically and gave them a vague sleepy smile) and a small couch suggested they weren't hosting a lot of social events with other elderly people. Maybe some small family meetings like today at best.

The whole house smelled of baked goods.

"Bubbe! We're here!" Basil called out as he set the luggage just inside the door and shut it, dropping the keys in a nearby bowl.

"I'm in the kitchen krolik!" A voice replied. A voice with an American accent Colette had heard in films but may not know the exact origin of.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:05 am

Colette turned up her jacket collar, as though the neighbours didn't already have plenty to talk about with an invisible young man in the front yard. "Just smile and nod, yes? Zis is ze best way to avoid confrontations, no?" The girl really didn't want to be the catalyst for the inevitable holiday fight.

At least some of the nervousness melted away at the smell of baked goods, the scent able to soothe most troubled souls.Perhaps things would go much smoother than she expected. The girl removed her oversized coat and carefully hung it up, dressed in a form-fitting shoulderless white dress and white opera gloves, under a modest blue mini-jacket. She may or may not have gotten the holidays mixed up when choosing her outfit.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:03 am

Basil threw his coat up too and didn't miss a beat leading Colette through a dining area into the kitchen.

There, working on chopping some form of vegetable, was the spitting image of Jessica Benson's future, save her eyes weren't blue. The elderly woman in question was wearing a pair of heavy, chunky plastic rimmed glasses which threatened to fall off the end of her nose as she looked up, her face lighting up in recognition.

"Basil!" She exclaimed as she dried her hands and threw a towel on the kitchen counter, and went in for a kiss.

Also on the counter was a plate filled with what looked similar to jelly donuts.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:51 am

Colette politely waited to one side as Basil was showered with affection by his grandmother. It was a welcome sight to behold. With how depressed he had been on campus when they first met, and what he had told her of his family, it was nice to know that unconditional love was something he still received.

She was a good girl and kept her fingers clear of the dessert, despite them straying a few times.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:41 am

As Basil hugged his grandmother, he noticed Colette's internal struggle over the sweets on the counter and with his grandmother cradled in his arms he grabbed one with his free hand, shoving it in his mouth whole behind his grandmother's back and smearing jam and powdered sugar all over his face in the process. After a moment he became visible, just before pulling away from his grandmother's hold. His expression was very smug looking, as if he wanted to say ' I got to do the thing you wanted, ha ha'. He disappeared as suddenly as he had appeared, his grandmother did not notice. She broke the hug with him and turned to Colette.

"Now then, are you going to introduce me to this girl or you just going to make her stand here awkwardly in my kitchen all night while we eat without her because no one knows who she is?"

"Ah yes! Bubbe, this is Colette Madelaine Astrid Rosenhof.

Colette, this is my grandmother, Esther Stolarz."

"You can call me Estee dear. Most do."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:17 am

Colette gave Basil a mock-angry pout as his brazen and snarky little play. He was toying with her, and making no effort to hide it. Her, a guest! She was quick to put on a pleasant smile when his grandmother turned to face her hands clasped in front of herself.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Madame Estee." Colette was thankful for the nickname, Esther would have been a little bit of a tongue twister for her. "Zank you for welcoming me into your home. It is most kind of you."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:02 am

"Of course. Basil talks endlessly about you, so I couldn't say no when he asked if you could join us.

Where do you go to temple dear? " She asked, immediately launching into the grilling."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Colette smiled a little wider at the compliment, though that changed to a confused look as she turned to Basil for help, whispering softly to him as she leaned closer.

"Est-ce qu'elle me demande comment j'utilise les toilettes?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:03 pm

Basil suppressed a giggle and whispered back.

"Non, non. Ehhhhh.. Juif eglise?"

He tried, as the word for temple in French was just temple, meaning she probably wasn't familiar with the word at all.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:48 pm

Colette was familiar with the word, she just didn't realize the context of the question. Or she had misheard it as "tinkle".

"Oh! Oh, I..." She glanced to Basil for a moment before replying. "I am afraid zat growing up I did not attend... temple, nor public school for long. Due to..." She gestured to her general figure. "It is seldom zat I even leave ze grounds of ze university."

It wasn't a LIE per sea, but it did buy her some time.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:30 am

Even Colette could tell that Estee was immediately suspicious of this answer.

"Bubbe, do you have anything that needs doing around the house? I could help Zayde.

Colette is fairly handy in the kitchen as well." Basil replied, distracting the elderly woman from her topic of conversation.

"Hmmm." She thought. " Well, since you ask your grandfather has neglected the gutters this fall and now one of the drainpipes is backing up. I guess if you can get his lazy ass out of the chair, you might could help him with that.

Gives Ms.Rosenhof and I time to chat.
"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:47 am

Colette looked a little nervous at the prospect of being left alone with the older woman without Basil to "protect" her, but prepared herself all the same. "Oh yes, I would be more zan happy to help however I may in ze preparation."

The pink girl carefully removed her long gloves, her limbs now complete bare below the shoulder, which was unusual for her. She called out to Basil as she began washing her hands, the texture of which took on the lighter and denser bubblegum appearance. There was no need for her to use a drying cloth, the water seemed to be drawn into her like a chamois.

"Do be careful Basil. I do not wish for you to fall and harm yourself."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:04 am

"Don't worry, I'll be fine!" He exclaimed, and disappeared from the kitchen.

Esther's eyes fell skeptically on Colette. She dug around in the fridge and pulled out some vegetables. Leeks, Brussells Sprouts, Asparagus.

"Here, start on these." She stated, starting on another project.

"Where are you from exactly?" She followed up with.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:29 pm

"Zank you." Colette nodded as she started with the leeks, cutting them where the dark green turned to light and trimming them down before moving on to cut off the end and slice the stalk lengthwise. She was much more comfortable around baking and sweets but the girl knew how to handle her veggies at least.

"Are you familiar at all wiz ze city of Metz?" She had been tempted to say she was from Arkansas or something but she thought perhaps now was not the good time to joke. "It is not far from Brussels or Luxembourg, if zat is of any help."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:36 am

"I've never been there, but I've seen it on a map. Went around a lot of Europe before deciding on settling here.

What d'ya think of the UK?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:27 am

"It is a beautiful city, zough I do not know if zere is much to set it apart from most cities of its kind. You must have seen many beautiful places in your travels."

Colette thought for a moment on how to best phrase how she felt about being in England. "I have not seen much of zis country yet, but it is very... freeing, being able to be oneself. I do know zat ze food is quite lovely, and zat is ze benchmark by which a country is judged, is it not? I have yet to become accustomed to putting ze beans on ze toast however."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:33 am

"Beans on toast is disgusting." Esther replied in that American east coast accent Colette probably still hadn't pinned down.

"But I guess I didn't come here for the food, so it's not like I can complain too much."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:18 pm

"Well on zat we are in agreement." Colette said cheerfully, moving from the leeks onto the brussel sprouts where she was removing the outer leaves to expose the lighter ones beneath. She was cutting the little green bulbs in half with a small paring knife, scoring down the inside of the stalk before she spoke again.

"I came for schooling, zis you know, but I am curious as to why out of all ze places you have visited you decided on England. What made zis place so special?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:26 pm

"I was sick of the way women were treated in America. So I went looking for a place where we were treated better. This place has the highest English-speaking Jewish community, lots of refugees."

" Not that you'd know that." She replied, clearly aware of what Colette was hiding.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:11 pm

Colette let out a little sigh. "No, I would not. I suppose zis is going to be a problem, is it not? Oh I had been hoping it would not be."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to London