Gifts of the Fae

Scenes taking place outside of London or Muir, but still on the Islands.

Gifts of the Fae

Postby Bainrigh Mab » Mon May 06, 2024 5:10 pm

She'd kept a distant eye on Kat stumbling her way through the woods and back home and gave her a couple of days to get used to her new powers. She could tell it wasn't exactly what the girl had hoped for, but she's still figuring out how to guide this process. The Sparks are volatile and unpredictable sometimes, especially the more of their power she brings forth. And she hadn't yet fully understood her part or what she even wanted aside from introducing herself to a version of her little sister. But she sees more clearly now.

So, one night, she approaches the McManus' house once more. Wreathed in the shadows and holding a squirming bundle she sends a moth as large as two palms of her hands to flutter again Kat's window.
Bainrigh Mab

Re: Gifts of the Fae

Postby Kathleen McManus » Mon May 06, 2024 6:43 pm

Kat muzzily stirs. It's been a rough few days, and she had a few close calls with her parents. On some level she knows they'd be understanding, but she's not sure she knows what's going on with her new powers yet.

She wearily goes to the window to see what the commotion is, the outside light catching a glint of tapetum in her eyes.

Then, she frowns.

"...I can't keep doing this."
Kathleen McManus

Postby Bainrigh Mab » Mon May 06, 2024 6:50 pm

The moth finally settles on the window, wings splayed, and taps it's first pair of legs against the glass like it's knocking.
Bainrigh Mab

Postby Kathleen McManus » Mon May 06, 2024 7:12 pm

Kat isn't sure it even matters, given who she thinks this is, but she opens the window.

"Look, I can't." She whispers.
Kathleen McManus

Postby Bainrigh Mab » Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

The moth flutter and in the movement of it's wings a voice sounds.

"Not if you're afraid, no..." The voice sounds disappointed. "I can help. I brought someone who very much wants to meet you and maybe he can too."
Bainrigh Mab

Postby Kathleen McManus » Mon May 06, 2024 7:28 pm

"I'm still... well, what you did out in the woods wasn't cool."
Kathleen McManus

Postby Bainrigh Mab » Mon May 06, 2024 7:39 pm

"You said you want to be 'bad ass'." the voice says and she must have picked that phrasing from her mind. "That takes courage. You can't be brave without being scared."

A pause. Then, "But I apologize. I haven't talked to others much. My court is empty and gone. I tried to give you what you wanted too swiftly and too strongly. I can help."
Bainrigh Mab

Postby Kathleen McManus » Mon May 06, 2024 7:49 pm

"Did I... did I make you angry or something? It seemed like we were really..."
Kathleen McManus

Postby Bainrigh Mab » Mon May 06, 2024 7:57 pm

"Never! You need not fear my wrath. Should not." she says. Kathleen doesn't need to know that's more aspirational than a solid fact.

"But I come bearing a gift in apology regardless. I do think you will like it."
Bainrigh Mab

Postby Kathleen McManus » Mon May 06, 2024 8:25 pm

"Are you... out in the yard? Or...?"

She peers about with eyes a little keener than they should be.
Kathleen McManus

Postby Bainrigh Mab » Mon May 06, 2024 8:46 pm

She steps out from the nearby treeline, her draping wings adding a kind of moving cloak to her silhouette.

"I won't take you elsewhere, promise."
Bainrigh Mab

Postby Kathleen McManus » Tue May 07, 2024 2:06 pm

Kat climbs out her window, slowly making her way across the yard.

"So you're wearing that again, now?"
Kathleen McManus

Postby Bainrigh Mab » Tue May 07, 2024 2:28 pm

"The story I told you wasn't a lie. It's who I've decided to to be. Who I am. Queen Mab of the Fae, bringing forth innermost dreams." she says and sits down on the ground, legs in a lose lotus position to cradle the squirming bundle. Kat can probably feel something from within the blanket. Impressions of tooth and fur, twitching ears. "I'm still learning how, but I hope this will help." She unwraps the blanket and elicits a growling yip before depositing a ball of fur on the ground. It swiftly rights itself into a shaggy puppy that lets out a questioning whine. No, not a whine, a howl. And her glittering eyes soon pick out details. Black and grey fur, a snout that while smooshed by adolescence is still a bit too sharp and pronounced for a dog, inquisitive yellow-green eyes.

The wolf pup tils it's head and sniffs in Kat's general direction.
Bainrigh Mab

Postby Kathleen McManus » Tue May 07, 2024 3:22 pm

"You can be... pretty much anything you want, I guess. Like her."

She peers at the bundle, first with interest, then with amazement.

"A puppy? No wait, that's... where did you even get him?"
Kathleen McManus

Postby Bainrigh Mab » Tue May 07, 2024 3:45 pm

"From far south. I flew until I heard a lonesome howling. Poachers took his pack from him." she says and pats the wolf's back. "Go ahead. Try to take on some of his shapes so he'll know your smell alongside that of a wolf."
Bainrigh Mab

Postby Kathleen McManus » Tue May 07, 2024 5:53 pm

"Aw buddy, you really need someone, don't you?"

She closes her eyes, and when they open again they mirror the wolf's, her hair shot through with grey and fur fringing her jawline. She reaches out a hand bearing dark pads and fuzz bristling her knuckles.

"Don't worry, I'll take care of you."
Kathleen McManus

Postby Bainrigh Mab » Tue May 07, 2024 6:11 pm

Mab smiles as the wolf pup carefully sniffs Kat's fingers, then yips and starts excitedly running around her, running away a couple steps only to dash back and lick her fingers or rise on his hindlegs to bop her with his paws. And while he's maybe two or three months old, his back already reaches Kat's knee in height. Easily the largest puppy she's ever seen and his barks are quite a bit gravelly, if still a bit high-pitched.

"I thought you might like to."
Bainrigh Mab

Postby Kathleen McManus » Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

"Have to figure out if I need to hide him from Mum," she sighs. "Guess there's a lot of things I'm hiding from Mum now."
Kathleen McManus

Postby Bainrigh Mab » Thu May 09, 2024 8:22 pm

"I can cast a glamour so they will think him an ordinary dog. Sometimes we keep secrets to protect people or because we're waiting for the right time. For instance, there is something I would ask you to help me with but I don't wish to worry you with more than you can handle and there is time."
Bainrigh Mab

Postby Kathleen McManus » Fri May 10, 2024 1:53 pm

"I do appreciate that you're... like, trying to people with me."
Kathleen McManus

Postby Bainrigh Mab » Fri May 10, 2024 2:01 pm

"I haven't been people for a while." she admits. "I think I'm happier that way."
Bainrigh Mab

Postby Kathleen McManus » Mon May 13, 2024 4:10 pm

"I know it's just... I understand it's an effort, aye?"
Kathleen McManus

Postby Bainrigh Mab » Mon May 13, 2024 4:52 pm

"Not too much of one at least. Especially if it means I get to talk to you. I missed you. Or... a version of you."
Bainrigh Mab

Postby Kathleen McManus » Wed May 15, 2024 8:38 pm

"I know I'm probably not exactly like her but... well, I know Sam needs me around sometimes too. It's okay."
Kathleen McManus

Postby Bainrigh Mab » Thu May 16, 2024 1:16 am

"I don't just need you around, I would ask for your help. You know what it's like to dream of the powers to show how special you know you can be. I want to bring others this gift. Find those who would join me in rebuilding my court."
Bainrigh Mab

Topic attributes:

Return to The British Isles