On the ramparts

Scenes taking place outside of London or Muir, but still on the Islands.

On the ramparts

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:54 am

Sean had been given a room and he'd used spare moments to bandage his hand, but soon he'd felt the urge to wander. He had no place in particular to go and soon found himself staring out over the ramparts at the castle grounds.

((Open))
Sean Hall
Student

Re: On the ramparts

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:01 pm

He doesn't hear the approach, but he can certainly sense the power as the Green Knight stops to stand beside him, looking at the castle grounds as well. He doesn't say anything, letting the silence between them hang in the air.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:41 pm

"Has anybody ever told you that it's odd how quiet you can be?" Sean asked.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:43 pm

"I have been told that once or twice, yes," he responds, "A by-product of knowing how one fits in the world, I suppose. How about you? How do you fit?"
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:14 pm

"Do you find many mortals can answer that question?" Sean asked rhetorically as he pondered the Green Knight. "I'm not sure that I do fit, which maybe is the lot of wizards, aye? Or perhaps that is how I fit. I am the wizard, the one who spouts cryptic arcane knowledge, tampers with unnatural forces, and lives in a hidden tower exploring realms beyond our own."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:25 pm

"A dangerous vocation to take up, that of 'wizard'. They don't frequently live to ripe old ages."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:34 pm

"I've never considered anything else. Not since I first saw the weave of magic and pulled at its strings," Sean said, "Not dying peacefully in my sleep seems like a small price to pay."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:43 pm

"Magic is seductive. Death is but one outcome. You can end up locked in a tomb, sealed in a cave, imprisoned in a rock, shut in an invisible tower, or melded into a tree. It's quite hazardous."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:52 pm

"Or not read the fine print and end up enslaved by an entity making empty promises," Sean said. "In between though there is seemingly infinite knowledge about the universe and power that can be wielded to protect others or guide them."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:57 pm

"Knowledge is power as you mortals are fond of saying... and we both know power can be dangerous." He glances at Sean's bandaged hand.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:10 pm

"Power requires sacrifice," Sean said flexing his hand. "And This... This was a small sacrifice to save someone."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:14 pm

"And what about the life you stole to save another? What say did they have in the sacrifice?"
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:19 pm

"Have you never killed to save another?" Sean asked. "What is the life of animals, a swarm of insects, a horse, or the grass and trees to save someone?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:29 pm

"I've certainly killed and others have killed on my behalf to save others. But those who died were the ones threatening others, not innocent bystanders."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:36 pm

"It's not as if I grabbed one of the Fey out of the stands and killed them or one of your knights," Sean said. "It was animals and summoned creatures."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:42 pm

"All life is connected, no life should be taken lightly. You'd do well to study the druids. You might learn something."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:53 pm

"Magic is rather rare on the other side of the veil. I have only met one experienced practitioner," Sean shrugged. "So unless you have a book or know where I can find a druid."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:59 pm

"Druids, as a general rule, don't write books. And I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you could find them. The journey is a part of the process." He looks back out over the castle grounds.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:03 pm

"One day somebody will say something bloody steaightforward," Sean said grumpily. "And I wont believe them."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:15 pm

"And it will probably lead to your doom, but look on the bright side until then, aye?"
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:24 pm

"Oh, aye," Sean said, "The bright side right now is seeing this realm for the first time and standing next to people who were in stories I read as a child. Oh, and whatever dwarven brew is going to be poured later."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:27 pm

"I helped the Lady create this space to keep her safe and provide sanctuary for the outcasts. I'm not sure what she intends to do now, but her squabbles with the Grey Lords are not actually my fight."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:32 pm

"So what now then?" Sean asked.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:36 pm

"For me? Or for them?" He gestures at the people working in the grounds.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:42 pm

"Both," Sean said watching the people working.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:50 pm

"For me, I make sure the Lady is secure, then I return to the Green Chapel with the Pendragon spirits until they're needed again. For them, that is for them to determine. The fey don't take change well or easily and I have a feeling a lot is about to change for them."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:59 pm

"Has something changed?" Sean asked. "The Grey Lords were perhaps embarrassed by their defeat and the Red Lord retreated, but it feels like we won an opening skirmish in what could be a long war."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:05 pm

"The Lady of the Lake is among the most powerful of the fey. Or she was prior to her daughter's birth. Now that her daughter has returned her mother's power, she is once again preeminent. In accord, the Lords could bring an army here, but they will most likely fall to in-fighting and finger-pointing, and that's not counting that we captured some of them. They won't be able to attain unity for some time, if ever, and they've made more than a few enemies on the other side of the Veil that will work against them and keep them in disarray. No, you mortals put your hands on the lever and shoved. Now you will get to watch the world move."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:29 pm

"And things will change for the better with the Lady of the Lake in control?" Sean asked feeling a bit better hearing that the Grey Lords weren't about to immediately rise back up.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:31 pm

"She's certainly a more reasonable individual than the Grey Lords, as far as fey go. And she's actually somewhat fond of humanity, even if this is the first time she's seen it directly in centuries."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:38 pm

"Being reasonable seems like a rather large step forward from what little I've heard and read about the Grey Lords," Sean said, "What of the outcasts? Will they remain under her protection now that her power has been returned?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:41 pm

"Most of them were unjustly or cruelly exiled and she won't turn them away. Even if they're too far gone to save, she'll... be merciful. If nothing else, she's more than capable of sending them back across the Veil to recover." Down in the courtyard, a glowing doorway appears. A small troop of figures in iridescent armor march out of the doorway which shuts behind them.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:54 pm

"Mercy..." Sean said before his train of thought was derailed by the arrival of the figures in the courtyard. "Is it not odd for people wearing armor to simply step through into your courtyard?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:57 pm

"Not when they're these people," the Green Knight says. The figures keep perfect order as one steps away from the group, turning and shouting orders in some language that Sean doesn't know. "The Lady must have called for them. They're no friend of the Grey Lords. One of their order was at the battle if memory serves."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:06 pm

"Gemmalara perhaps? The armor looks rather similar at least," Sean said continuing to watch the contingent in the courtyard. "One of the Grey Lords said she was a member of the Rainbow Guard during the standoff."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:10 pm

"Inhabitants of the Rainbow Wood on the other side of the Veil. Not fond of the Grey Lords."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:23 pm

"I'm starting to wonder how they stayed in power at all given the number of groups who dislike them," Sean said, "What did they do to the inhabitants of the Rainbow Wood?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:27 pm

"Ignored them, belittled them, sent them on dangerous quests that they could not refuse which got several of them killed. Never underestimate the power of old bargains to keep things in place long after their suitability has passed."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:45 pm

"The Fey keep their word,," Sean said, "So now that the Grey Lords have been toppled they seek a new bargain I imagine."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:59 pm

"Potentially. Old oaths now broken and all. A minion of the Grey Lords damaged a member of the Guard executing her sworn duty after all."
Narrator
Site Admin

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to The British Isles