Yfel canne hnot rêada tôhwon scitte

Scenes taking place outside of London or Muir, but still on the Islands.

Yfel canne hnot rêada tôhwon scitte

Postby Victor Freud » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:29 am

With the battle won (for now) and left relatively unscathed, Victor had parted from the other students while they were tending to their wounds or doing... Fey court stuff he didn't understand. A small recess within the castle housed it's library, or at least the library he was permitted to use - being Fey they could have something the size of a cathedral tucked away in some hammerspace he didn't understand. Sat at a tiny worn table with a stack of weathered and aged volumes, he was working his way through them one by one as best he could under the candlelight. Of course they were written in old and middle English, or sometimes Latin, or sometimes some other scripts he could only imagine were the Fey language itself, so he was getting rather frustrated. The young man had to stop and cover his eyes with the palms of his hands, elbows resting on the dark wood of the desk.
Victor Freud
Student

High Concept: Face Turning Heel
Aspect: Title of Your Sex Tape / The Gadfly
Aspect: Shrinky Dink Shenanigans
Aspect: Always Second Best
Aspect: Underestimating Badassery
Aspect: Dressed for Success

Re: Yfel canne hnot rêada tôhwon scitte

Postby Narrator » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:46 am

A seemingly young man eventually approaches Vic after a considerable amount of time, finally realizing he wasn't finding what he was looking for and that Vic wasn't going to leave until he did.

Dark curly locks combed to one side of his head and pinned flat and over the top on the other, he looked over his pince nez at the 'intruder' in his space.

"May I help you?" Asked the obviously elven man who was entirely visible and vaguely familiar.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Victor Freud » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:26 am

Victor rubbed his face, his fingers pulling his cheek flesh downward as he looked up at the elven man. Is that haircut standard in every library?

"Right about now, I would greatly appreciate it." He stretched his arms above his head with a groan, trying to breathe some life back into his joints.

"I'm trying to find any reference to a being that I have a sneaking suspicion may be of the Fey realm. Do you have a sort of... census?"
Victor Freud
Student

Postby Narrator » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:35 am

The elf furrowed his brow and smirked in an expression that said something along the lines of 'oh cupcake, too precious for this world'.

"If this is too much for you, I doubt books of lineage are going to be any easier.

Whom might you be trying to locate?"
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Victor Freud » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:05 am

Victor took the snark like a champ, because really the man was right. He reached beneath his surcoat and felt around for a small leatherbound book, like a tiny sketchpad or something a detective in the 30s might carry with them. Vic flipped it open and turned a couple of pages before he found what he was looking for.

"Yeah, that's right... they called themselves Li Ban. Or rather, they said that's what their creator called them. Really tall, red-to-hay-blonde hair, speaks in riddles..., oh and appears in dreams."
Victor Freud
Student

Postby Narrator » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:28 am

"Hmmm." He thought to himself and tilted his head to the side, tapping his fingers on his collarbone as he thought.

"Come child." He finally states, leading him to a shelf full of books that seemed to be written in Gaelic... If Vic could even identify it of course.

He pulled a book off the shelf, then because shifting through the pages. Eventually he found what he was looking for and held it out to Victor.

But it was just as much nonsense to him as everything else in the library.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Victor Freud » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:44 am

Victor thought about politely pointing out that humans don't really like being referred to as children, but when he considered that this elf was helping him and how seldom he may deal with humans in the future he thought it best to forego such awkwardness. When presented with the pages of text he made the sort of expression one might find on a cat that had been presented with a plate of freshly-prepared blini.

"Yeah, sorry, I... have no idea what any of that means."
Victor Freud
Student

Postby Narrator » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:51 am

The librarian looked like Victor just pissed down his fancy velvet overrobe.

" It's Gaelic. What do human tutors teach you?

Nevermind." He stops himself, then begins to read what sounds like Clifnotes.

He may or may not have been getting sick of the mortals scitte already.

" It basically says that Li Ban was a mermaid who gave up her immortality for a human's love.

Foolish."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Victor Freud » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:35 am

"Well, not Gaelic, obviously." Victor listened to the librarian's explanation, but didn't find that it helped him much.

"Huh, so what is a mermaid doing appearing in a dream to tell me where to find a dimension-hopping girlfriend?"
Victor Freud
Student

Postby Narrator » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:46 am

"Not a clue." He relented back to Victor, studying over the book again.

"Perhaps....

How did you say you knew her?"
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Victor Freud » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:18 am

"Oh, well, just that. She appeared in a dream one night. She told me that... how did she put it?" Victor checked his notebook again. "Oh, basically she said that 'the one who was made for me' was coming. And that night I found a young woman who has known me over several of my lifetimes, even though I've never met her before. Because... dimensions. Or planes or realms or whatever is the term you use here."
Victor Freud
Student

Postby Narrator » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:42 pm

He shifted, now looking bored with this.

"Li Ban means the paragon of women." He sighed, shelving the book and apparently assuming Vic would put together what that meant in association to his problem.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Victor Freud » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:37 pm

Victor puzzled it over for a moment. "So, wait... this Li Ban that I saw, it wasn't an actual person or entity, but an idea? A concept?" He furrowed his brows. "Kinda hard to ask an intangible idea why someone keeps jumping to another dimension every time I die, or why it started in the first place."
Victor Freud
Student

Postby Narrator » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:47 pm

"No, that's not what I am saying at all." The librarian grumped.

"Listen and try to follow, alright?

Many fey live unusually long life spans compared to your kind. Some only die because of days like today. Some are reborn. Others still would seem immortal from a mortals perspective due to the passing of titles and not being identified under their birth names.

But Li Ban is not a title, and Li Ban died giving up her right to her extended life span.

And your Li Ban doesn't look anything like a mermaid, yes?"
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Victor Freud » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:27 pm

"Well no, she definitely had legs, she was tall as hell. So what you're saying is that my Li Ban is not THE Li Ban. So; either someone was inspired by her and decided to make a... persona for themselves using her name, or they chose her as a means of misdirection?"

Why did dream fey things have to be so hard on the head?
Victor Freud
Student

Postby Narrator » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:03 pm

"Yes. Someone is borrowing her name. They are most likely not deliberately trying to assume her identity, or they'd be trying harder to appear as her.

But something there pleased her enough to assume the moniker of what seems like a fairly mundane member of our society who was only notable for being so different from others of her species."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Victor Freud » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:55 am

Victor considered the reasons why someone might do this in relation to his own experience, and he didn't like what seemed to be the most likely ones. That he was being lied to or manipulated somehow by Emilie to make her sudden company easier to adapt to was a distasteful idea, even if the intentions were good. So he tried his best to think of other scenarios.

"... you've been most helpful sir. Thank you."
Victor Freud
Student

Postby Narrator » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:50 am

"Such is what I do." He replied.

"If there's nothing else, I shall retire my services."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Victor Freud » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:12 pm

"There is one last thing before you go." Victor reached under his Surcoat again, his eyes turned up as he felt around for something in what used to have been a jacket pocket. "Ah here we go."

Victor withdrew a chocolate bar done up in a yellow wrapper and offered it to the librarian. "Just a little token of thanks for all your help." His experience with the Fey in literature told him that everything came with a price, and he wanted to hedge his bets that he wouldn't lose his first-born or something.
Victor Freud
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:51 pm

He accepted it, and withdrew into the recesses of his den of books to go stalk alone again.

Victor would not see him again.
Narrator
Site Admin

Topic attributes:

Return to The British Isles