Chelmsford - Lets make another deal

Scenes taking place outside of London or Muir, but still on the Islands.

Re: Chelmsford - Lets make another deal

Postby Sean Hall » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:12 pm

"My apologies," Sean said, "Did you look into the ley lines getting charged at all?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:31 pm

"I have. As with most things, there could be any number of explanations and finding the right one is a matter of trial and error that I haven't had time for. I presume you have a theory?"
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:27 pm

"My theory would be somebody is either trying to open a rift and bring something through," Sean said, "Or just trying to destabilize the ley line network, but I'm not sure what the benefit of that would be. It boggles the mind really because tapping a ley line could... explosively kill a practitioner."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:08 pm

"At a nexus, it certainly could and quite easily. The lines themselves are occasionally safer, though there's usually enough ambient energy surrounding a ley line to make it a worthwhile place for any practitioner to settle."
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:14 am

"Might ask for a copy of that map. Probably be safer to tap one of the lines a bit... further away from the lighthouse," Sean said, "Are the ley lines the reason why you settled here?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:33 pm

"I have a certain connection to the area and the ley lines certainly don't hurt matters. I assume you came to hide at the university in Maldon?"
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:55 pm

"I came originally because the lighthouse had sprung a leak, but that is why I stayed, yes," Sean said, "Don't need to hide in dusty basements or take weekends in the countryside to practice anymore. And I can study the lighthouse."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:05 pm

"It is certainly a wonder," she says, reaching across the table towards his hand, "May I?"
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:30 pm

"Certainly," Sean said before extending his hand so that Erica could take it.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:38 pm

She took his hand gently, pulling it closer to inspect the rings on it. Her hands were soft and she idly ran her thumb across his fingers as she analyzed the rings.
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:49 pm

Sean tensed not exactly prepared for this kind of contact with Erica. As she idly ran her thumb across his fingers a blush crept up his neck as he tried to get rid of the thought about how soft her hands were.

Two of the rings were silver and the third was gold. One ring contained a shield enchantment useful for dealing with physical attacks, the second contained a minor invisibility spell, and the gold ring contained an odd overlaid enchantment that was part drop of sunlight, part essence of darkness.The first two enchantments were held using a mix of mercury and powdered synthetic diamonds as the primary components, the gold ring used a combination of powdered obsidian and sunstone again mixed with mercury. There was still quite a bit of craftsmanship involved with them and these rings were in fact Sean's best work containing potent enchantments in small items, which was why he'd worn them to this meeting. There was room for improvement with the enchantments themselves. As is they'd last maybe a decade.

Sean's magic signature radiated from the rings themselves. A blinding light, but beneath that the deep dark unknown.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:54 pm

Erica smiles at him as she looks back up to his face, "Very nice work. What would you ask for the notes on these?" She doesn't let go of his hand or quit squeezing it gently.
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:44 pm

"
Erica Carlisle wrote:Erica smiles at him as she looks back up to his face, "Very nice work. What would you ask for the notes on these?" She doesn't let go of his hand or quit squeezing it gently.

"That depends," Sean said trying to keep himself from getting distracted. "How much more do you know about the ley lines getting charged and do you have a book about the writer of the Darkhold and his family?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Erica drops his hand likes she's been burned, "And why would you want to know about the writer of... that thing?"
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:38 pm

Sean was a little shocked at the intensity of Erica's reaction as she had been involved with a being planning the end of the world according to Isolde.

"I was told my knowledge was lacking in some important areas," Sean said, "Areas that could leave me vulnerable to a descent into madness, death, and destruction. The usual apocalyptic things, so I'm trying to do what any reasonable person should when they don't know something, learning and preparing."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:48 pm

"I said I don't deal in souls and I don't. The..." It seems to take her a moment to say the word, "... Darkhold is a different matter entirely. That thing damns every soul that lays hands on it, even the ones who have done so with good intentions. It's worse than saying 'thank you' to a fey."
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Sean looked at Erica feeling disappointment warring with those that caused the blush earlier.

"Even more reason to know everything about it's writer and their family then," Sean said, "I thought knowledge was the weapon of the practitioner and this seems like an area where you need all of the weapons you can have."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:08 pm

"I think it's safe to say that the people who built the atomic bomb dearly wish the world would forget their invention existed. Now imagine instead that those people not only celebrate the knowledge of their invention, but want more and more people to have them and use them. And then every person who has the knowledge is overwhelmed with the desire to use it. The end result is the dissolution of the world. Complete and utter nothingness. That is the ultimate end that many of the creators of the Darkhold seek."
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Erica Carlisle wrote:"I think it's safe to say that the people who built the atomic bomb dearly wish the world would forget their invention existed. Now imagine instead that those people not only celebrate the knowledge of their invention, but want more and more people to have them and use them. And then every person who has the knowledge is overwhelmed with the desire to use it. The end result is the dissolution of the world. Complete and utter nothingness. That is the ultimate end that many of the creators of the Darkhold seek."

"And now we use the same technology to power our homes," Sean said, "People decide how knowledge is used. The art has been used for good while others have used it to try to rule the world and still others just to see the slate wiped clean by the storm so the world can be remade in their image."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:45 pm

"Magic is the technology, the Darkhold is the bomb. But I suppose the young must always find out for themselves." She sighs, "In exchange for your notes on your rings, I'm willing to give you access to my library for at least 7 visits, to be arranged at times of my convenience and provided you swear to maintain the secrecy of its location and method of access on pain of immediate magical retribution. If I find you working magic in my non-existent library or you attempt to remove any of the books, our deal is off and you forfeit any remaining visits. You can, of course, negotiate further visits should you find something else that I am interested in."
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:50 pm

"Seems only fair we be allowed to make mistakes," Sean said, "That deal sounds reasonable enough. I assume there will be some physical contract with all the niceties."

Sean paused for a moment.

"I am constantly working on my craft, so there will be more such things if you're interested. You can see the work space if you're interested in my other wares."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:54 pm

Erica nods, "We can adjourn to my office for the paperwork. I prefer not to conjure it in front of the staff."
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:07 pm

"Some things can't be explained away with the 'mutant powers' excuse I suppose," Sean smiled. "Lead the way."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:20 pm

She stands, leading the way up through the VIP area and past the guard to her office. With the door closed behind them, she stretches her hands across the desk and a piece of paper appears, the words of their agreement scrawling across them as she repeats the terms. "Everything in order?" She offers the contract for him to peruse.
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:58 pm

Sean looks at the contract if only to make sure everything at least appears to be in order before signing it. Try to avoid a participating party sneaking in a soul claim clause.

"Good to be sure, aye?" Sean asked rhetorically as he looked at the contract.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:04 pm

Nothing seemed out of place. "Some agreements become unenforceable if both parties don't freely agree to the terms. Coercion in contract matters is bad. That's a free lesson."
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:20 pm

"Appreciated," Sean says with a smile as he signs the contract. "Hopefully this will be the beginning of a... fruitful exchange, aye?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:21 pm

"One can hope," she says, signing it herself and rolling up the contract.
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:29 pm

"Oh, before we get into the finer points of accessing the library," Sean said, "I'm curious what is your theory about the ley lines?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:18 pm

"I think these things go in cycles and we are heading towards the Solstice. Night is at it's strongest then, but it's about to begin losing ground to the Day. Such turning points always tend to excite the ley lines."
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:55 am

"Probably will bring out all sorts to perform rituals of one kind or another," Sean said, "Taking advantage of the lines being so excited."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:55 am

"Some might, if they feel like taking the risk," she says with a shrug.
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:37 pm

"Any of those types been in to talk to you?" Sean asked. "Hate it when the only memo you get about the world ending is the sky turning strange colors."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:39 pm

"You should subscribe to the newsletter. It makes for fascinating reading material."
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:55 pm

"Should have known the doomsday cults would have a newsletter," Sean joked. "Imagine the monthly cost would be paid in something grisly."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:03 pm

"Actually, they're quite reasonable," she jokes back, "They only start asking for grisly things if you want to pay by the month."
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:59 pm

"Sure we worship a multi-headed creature from the abyss that devours all life, but if you pay for the year you'll get two months free," Sean smiled. "Suppose it's easier to coordinate doomsday rituals if you schedule them in advance with other cults."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:01 pm

"Once saw two doomsday cults attempt their rituals at the same time. The fireworks were spectacular. And obviously neither worked properly. Now I think they use Meetups and Google Calendars."
Erica Carlisle

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:30 pm

"No more crows or imps carrying messages long distances then? Seems like a shame really," Sean said.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Erica Carlisle » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:36 pm

"Crows are only reliable messengers if you're on good terms with their goddess," she says with a chuckle, "Some things are still best done the old way, but a practitioner who doesn't adapt deserves what they get."
Erica Carlisle

PreviousNext

Topic attributes:

Return to The British Isles