[Plot] We Wear Masks to Hide our Feelings

Mainland Europe, North America, Genosha and the rest of the World.

[Plot] We Wear Masks to Hide our Feelings

Postby Katarina Karkov » Tue May 25, 2021 7:13 pm

The Symkarian Grand Ballroom was accurately named. It was a ballroom, in Symkaria, and it certainly was grand, especially when it was in use for a royal affair like it was tonight.

A string quartet was playing incidental music as people gradually filed into the ballroom, all wearing elaborate dresses and fancy, ornate masks -- a nod to their returned princess, who was still wearing her Latverian half-mask to protect her face. The music was interrupted every so often as a new royal entered the ball room -- the Machovas and Zakovs in full military uniforms; the Svozilovs and Martinas in elegant gowns; western suits for the Bartos and Richters, stylized armor for the Sebkovas and Tomans, each of them met with a royal fanfare and custom pieces of music as they entered. A true collection of some of the most important people in Symkaria. And they were followed by the wealthy and privileged few who could rub shoulders with people of this magnitude; all of them looking to see and be seen, and see if they can't get that final spot in the upper echelon of the country.

The royals were seated around a large round table, the 12th empty chair standing out in it's, uh, emptiness. That was where Prince Alex would have been seated, had he not been exposed and removed from power. As was tradition, a plate was still set and food still provided, but it would go untouched. The royal table was at the very forefront of the hall, impossible to miss in it's prominence. The royals greeted each other formally -- some frostier than others, but there was an air of decor and respect that was brought to bare here; a game that they all knew they were playing.

Easier to miss was the table to the side, again sat with 12 chairs, where Jez was led to. This table filled up with retainers and assistants of the royal family, one from each house. It seems that Katarina had arranged a place of honor for Jez; none of her other handmaidens got such a prime seat. The atmosphere at this table, at least, was somewhat more relaxed -- a fraternity of people working very exclusive jobs; one that Jezebelle was apparently being inducted into. She may be relieved to see she wasn't the only woman in something other than a flowing gown, Symkarian fashion leaning ever so slightly towards the militaristic and uniform. Her Machovian and Zakovian counterparts, especially, were wearing very similar jodhpur and jacket combos in the colors of their respective houses; considering their princesses were ceremonial heads of the infantry and cavalry, perhaps that made sense. Not that there weren't fancy dresses and elaborate gowns aplenty; just that there was some variety.

The waiters and staff were also masked, as were the unmistakable security poised around the room. Even the musicians were masked, helping create the fanciful atmosphere. And also hiding people's identities.
Katarina Karkov
Student

High Concept: Golden Girl
Aspect: Sheltered Upbringing
Aspect: Diplomatic Immunity
Aspect: Obliviously Privileged
Aspect: Real-Life Roleplayer
Aspect: Heart of...Well, You Get It

Re: We Wear Masks to Hide our Feelings

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Mon May 31, 2021 2:54 am

Jezabelle's attire had been, in many ways, a compromise. Having no rank in Symkaria's military, or that of any other nation for that matter, it was not fitting for her to dress in a uniform of that sort. At the same time she was not at all used to flowing ball gowns, and something slinky would have been out of place and inappropriate. As both she and Katarina had been taken by how she looked in one of the princess' older Equestrian outfits, they had taken that look and ran with it so far as would be appropriate in such a venue. The shadbelly coat was in the Karkov family colours, accented by large buttons that the girl was fairly certain to be actual gold, the ruffled stock tie and tight feminine cut giving the outfit an almost Victorian appearance. With her hair up in a tight bun under a flamboyant (or ostentatious) hat it made for quite the look. Perhaps most striking was the young woman's choice of masks, as unlike the others worn it did nothing to cover her eyes. Perhaps to make it easier for her to wear her glasses without having to hold onto a mask on a stick all night, or maybe for other reasons, Jezabelle had opted for one shaped like the lower portion of a woman's face and painted in gold.

The seating arrangement did not escape Jezabelle's notice. By outside appearances she was really moving up in Symkarian society. Part of her felt a little unworthy of it, after all the princess' handmaidens had served her dutifully for years and acted as her friends. But in a room with so many egos and statuses being paraded around on display, one had to act the part, and so Jez did her best to act like she belonged there. And for some she was a most agreeable conversation partner as she focused mostly on listening and only interjected when it was necessary. If there was one thing that people of status liked to do it was to talk about themselves, and Jezabelle's silent attention must have endeared her to a few at the table. And it gave her something to do as she patiently waited for Katarina's arrival. The princess would be in high demand by all that evening, but the little Genoshan-American would always be available should she need an "out", even if it meant using some "rude foreigner" tactics.
Two's company, she's a...
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

High Concept: Soapbox Sadie with a Secret
Aspect: Painfully Situational Sociability
Aspect: Good is Not Soft
Aspect: Master Multitasker
Aspect: Gamer Chick
Aspect: Tumblr

Postby Narrator » Mon May 31, 2021 3:33 am

After a while, Jez would find that the conversation at her table was...not quite what she was expecting?

Oh, certainly, there were formalities in place, and several of the people at her table were not exactly the kind of people she would have chosen to hang out with (the Svozilov major domo, David, could find something to nitpick about everything here in the Karkov ballroom; Lepold, the Bartost boy, was introverted enough that Jez had barely heard a peep from him all night; Josef of House Toman had harassed the waiters multiple times already, and they were still on starter courses), but quite a few of the people chosen to sit at her table were...friendly?

Perhaps not 'down to Earth', per se; being in the orbit of royalty does tend to separate one from the masses. But there was a lot more 'shop talk' here -- a small fraternity of people who knew what it was like working for and with princes and princesses. And as people who knew the members of royalty as human beings, rather than posters on a wall or statues in a courtyard. So, while Radovan of House Richter went on and on, telling a story about how Prince Lubor had nearly slept through a semi-final heat at a track meet in Prague and he had had to sneak the prince down the fire escape to avoid the press, the others laughing and egging him on, things felt more comfortable than perhaps she had first thought.

At the same time, however, she could definitely feel the eyes of several of her tablemates not straying far from her, the new girl at the table. Johanna of House Machova and Nina of House Zakov were sat on either side of her, both dressed in contrasting colors of the Symkarian armed forces. It perhaps didn't help that Katarina had warned Jez, in her whirlwind explanation of Symkarian dynamics, that those two houses were historically at odds with one another. Nor might it have helped that they were both a good six inches taller than Jez, looming on either side. But, though she was being eyed up and mentally weighed by them, the two remained nothing if not polite -- asking about what it was like attending a mutant school, how she was liking the palace, how she had come to meet Katarina, and so on and so forth.

"I am a bit envious of Princess Karkov," Johanna was saying. "Slipping away in silence isn't a move in Princess Valerie's playbook. She's always much more...forward about her intentions. And yet, none of us knew Princess Katarina was even out of the country until news broke that she had been rescued."

"Oh, yes," Nina continued. "I'm sure if Princess Valarie had tried to leave, we all would have heard about it from the flyers and news broadcasts and the sudden insistence that a London education was the finest in the world, all previous statements to the contrary aside. How nice it must be to work for someone that flexible; I'm afraid Princess Hana is far more boringly consistent in her actions."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:53 am

Jez was somewhat relieved to find herself in slightly more humble company, even if she was still the odd one out, but she did her best to act naturally. Though normally it would have been more normal for her to be checking her phone on occasion, or leaning with her elbows on the table. She shared her stories only when prompted; when it came to Katarina she often used the excuse that she had only been serving the princess for a few months and simply hadn't had many interesting stories to share. As far as the school was concerned she was polite and tried not to sugar-coat things, too much. She played it off as just extra classes in addition to the regular curriculum; the royals had their horse riding end etiquette lessons, the students at the university had power training and self-defense. It was all about learning how to properly utilize one's birthright, in that way the two were very similar.

"Well, Princess Karkov is full of surprises I think. Almost no one at school knew she was a princess until the prince came." Well, her mastery of the language wasn't THAT good, there were a lot more 'ehms' and 'uhhs' and incorrect syntax involved, but she was able to get her general point across. Sitting between Nina and Johanna she didn't look terribly out of place, but it was obvious that her coat bore no military flair - no epaulettes or Fourrageres or sashes. And the difference in stature didn't help in emphasizing how little she looked like a force to be reckoned with.

"Now now, just because some inspire the people with their graceful grandeur, and some try to be welcoming with their humility and warmth, doesn't mean either method is without merit. A little contrast and... competition is good, yes? And I know Symkarians like to compete, even after all these weeks I still have the bruises to prove it."
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:34 am

"Well, we Symkarians tend to be made of sterner stuff," Johanna laughed. "But you seem to have come out of it alright, and in the good graces of your Princess."

"Indeed," Nina continued. "Rumor has it that no one in your party escaped the past few weeks unbruised and unbattered."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:49 am

"I did what had to be done. Were the situation reversed, Ka... her highness would have done the same for me."

She glanced over at Nina. "Not many rumours reach me it seems. What is being said about us?"
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:45 pm

"Just that the Crown Princess had a knight in shining armor arrive to rescue her. One that bested the local yokels and rode off into the sunset," Nina said, choosing her words comfortably. "But not before it was...arranged, that our next meeting would be in disguise.."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:43 am

Jezabelle was suddenly very still, and any aura of relaxation that had been radiating from her had quickly evaporated.

"... Our next meeting? I'm sorry, but I think you have me at a disadvantage. Have we met before?"
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Nika Novak » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:44 am

One of the waiters passing the table almost stumbles at that comment but manages to somehow keep her plate of champagne glasses upright. She's wearing the same style of uniform as all the other waiters (skirts for the women, pants for the men) and they're all wearing identical masks but this one seem a little less comfortable in the get-up.
Nika Novak

High Concept: Committed Bodyguard
Aspect: Secret Romantic
Aspect: Symkarian Pride
Aspect: Rigid Rules

Postby Narrator » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:52 am

Jezabelle Sherlock wrote:Jezabelle was suddenly very still, and any aura of relaxation that had been radiating from her had quickly evaporated.

"... Our next meeting? I'm sorry, but I think you have me at a disadvantage. Have we met before?"

"Nina has never been good at saying things straight," Johanna said. "She means we heard that the crown princess was hurt, and has been forced to wear a mask to hide that fact."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Masked Socialite » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:57 am

Nika Novak wrote:One of the waiters passing the table almost stumbles at that comment but manages to somehow keep her plate of champagne glasses upright. She's wearing the same style of uniform as all the other waiters (skirts for the women, pants for the men) and they're all wearing identical masks but this one seem a little less comfortable in the get-up.

“Waiter? A glass of wine please. White and dry.”
A hand shot up two tables over, a bit further into the crowd.
Masked Socialite

Postby Nika Novak » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:03 am

It takes the waiter a moment to actually feel like she's being spoken to, casting a glance at Jez' table before moving over to the masked socialite.

"<Right away.>" she says, sounding distracted.
Nika Novak

Postby Masked Socialite » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:28 am

Nika Novak wrote:"<Right away.>" she says, sounding distracted.

”Thank you.”

She took a sip, smiled, and turned back to Nika.

”I see the American is busy ingratiating herself with the other aides. They work quickly.”
Masked Socialite

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:36 am

Jez blinked once or twice before she let out a laugh that went from nervous to relieved in tone, the girl putting a hand to her chest. "Oh, I am sorry! I... am still learning the tongue. Between the last few weeks and the year I've had at school, I totally believed that you were revealing yourself to be an agent from House Sablinova. Or Skrulls. Or Doombots." The girl suddenly felt very awkward and reached for her glass of wine, lifting her mask just enough to take a big draft of it with a little gasp afterward, using booze to help slow her anxious babbling. "I apologize if there are any insult. It... has been an eventful year."
Last edited by Jezabelle Sherlock on Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Nika Novak » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:04 am

Masked Socialite wrote:”I see the American is busy ingratiating herself with the other aides. They work quickly.”

"<I wouldn't know anything about that, Miss.>" she says in a tone that suggests she knows a lot about that and isn't a fan.
Nika Novak

Postby Masked Socialite » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:39 am

Nika Novak wrote:"<I wouldn't know anything about that, Miss.>" she says in a tone that suggests she knows a lot about that and isn't a fan.

”Oh please, you can’t cover up with that tone! She doesn’t belong. Everyone in this ballroom knows it!” the lady replied, smiling and sipping her wine.
Masked Socialite

Postby Narrator » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:35 am

Jezabelle Sherlock wrote:Jez blinked once or twice before she let out a laugh that went from nervous to relieved in tone, the girl putting a hand to her chest. "Oh, I am sorry! I... am still learning the tongue. Between the last few weeks and the year I've had at school, I totally believed that you were revealing yourself to be an agent from House Sablinova. Or Skrulls. Or Doombots." The girl suddenly felt very awkward and reached for her glass of wine, lifting her mask just enough to take a big draft of it with a little gasp afterward, using booze to help slow her anxious babbling. "I apologize if there are any insult. It... has been an eventful year."

The two girls next to her also laughed -- an honest laugh, not mocking her. Nina pointed across the room to a different table. "No worries about House Sablinova. You can see the remnants of them in the corner there; no doubt waiting to corner the Crown Princess and plead ignorance and for forgiveness." And, indeed, a couple wearing something that could best be described as Revolutionary French Cosplay waited impatiently for Katarina to arrive.

"As for Doombots, I would not be in the least surprised," Johanna added. "Though Doom never acknowledges any that are found here as coming from Latveria, of course. I believe he would find invading that way to be...

Tacky." she said, after considering.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Nika Novak » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:34 pm

Masked Socialite wrote:”Oh please, you can’t cover up with that tone! She doesn’t belong. Everyone in this ballroom knows it!” the lady replied, smiling and sipping her wine.

"<Her Royal Highness thinks she does and who am I to disagree. But she rescued the Crown Princess, no one here should stoop to voicing any public dissent.>" Strong words for a waitress.
Nika Novak

Postby Masked Socialite » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:42 pm

Nika Novak wrote:"<Her Royal Highness thinks she does and who am I to disagree. But she rescued the Crown Princess, no one here should stoop to voicing any public dissent.>" Strong words for a waitress.

“What public dissent, my dear? I don’t see a soapbox or microphone. But still, your point is taken. You never know who might be wearing a fine pair of jackboots under their lovely formals.”
Masked Socialite

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:40 am

Narrator wrote:The two girls next to her also laughed -- an honest laugh, not mocking her. Nina pointed across the room to a different table. "No worries about House Sablinova. You can see the remnants of them in the corner there; no doubt waiting to corner the Crown Princess and plead ignorance and for forgiveness." And, indeed, a couple wearing something that could best be described as Revolutionary French Cosplay waited impatiently for Katarina to arrive.

"As for Doombots, I would not be in the least surprised," Johanna added. "Though Doom never acknowledges any that are found here as coming from Latveria, of course. I believe he would find invading that way to be...

Tacky." she said, after considering.

Jezabelle felt a little relieved and leaned forward, resting her chin on one hand to help keep the sudden rush if wine from going to her head. "I feel a bit sorry for them. Which I think means I'm probably not cut out for this type of work."

The girl snorted a bit at the tacky comment. "Where else would they be coming from? Are there bootlegs being made in Hong Kong?"
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Narrator » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:15 am

"That feeling? The imposter syndrome? Never really goes away," Nina laughed. "But it requires a certain...delicate touch to be the confidant of royalty. Believe me, if we weren't satisfying our ladies, then we would find ourselves replaced soon enough. If you are still here, that proves you are...'cut out for this', as you say."

"Doom tends to blame Richards as his catch all. Honestly, it's rather pathetic," Johanna added.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Nika Novak » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:25 pm

Masked Socialite wrote:“What public dissent, my dear? I don’t see a soapbox or microphone. But still, your point is taken. You never know who might be wearing a fine pair of jackboots under their lovely formals.”

"<Ka--The Princess is entitled to her choices, nothing authoritarian about that.>" Pretty insightful for a waitress. And clearly torn between loyalty and her own opinion.
Nika Novak

Postby Katarina Karkov » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:58 pm

And it was just about that time when the music stopped, and restarted with the Symkarian Royal Theme, heralding the arrival of the Crown Princess herself.

The cold steel of the mask was set off by her golden countenance, catching the light as she slowly walked through the room. Her dress, compared to the fancy clothes most of the rest of the room was wearing, was relatively simple; white with golden highlights, the steel of the belt matching her mask. She walked -- no, glided -- through the room, for when the Crown Princess shows up, everyone stops to watch.
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Masked Socialite » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:40 pm

“Breathtaking. Simply breathtaking.”
Masked Socialite

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:41 am

Jezabelle opened her mouth for some quip or comment but was brought to silence instead when the music changed and Katarina appeared. That girl really did know how to make an entrance. She'd have removed her hat out of respect had it not taken a good fifteen minutes to properly secure it with hatpins and other methods.
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Katarina Karkov » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:57 am

"And now we see how much of the country's taxes go to gold polish," Johanna joked -- good naturedly, but still.

The Latverian mask was causing a bit of a stir, especially for Princess Erika Sebkova, whose house bordered Latveria. She was among the last of the gathered royalty to rise to their feet to welcome Katarina; not doing a particularly strong job of trying to hide her disdain for the look. Many of the side tables sprung out in gossip.

Prince Francois Toman, the newest of the members of the inner royal families, kissed Katarina's outstretched hand as he led her to her seat, gesturing with an overly demonstrative bow and wave of his hand. Much like Jez, Katarina was sat between the members from Machova and Zakov, the two militaristic princesses sliding over to ensure Katarina had enough room to sit down in her gown.

The rest of the assembled royal members greeted Katarina in their own ways, inquiring about her kidnapping, expressing their sympathies -- some awkwardly and formally, others heartfelt. Princess Lilith barely could hide her laughter that the Golden Girl was now marred, and Prince Boris began yet another one of his long-winded speeches about the importance of security, and how this would never happen at house Rypal, with Prince Lubor nodding along the whole time. On the other hand, Prince Richard leaned over and whispered something in Katarina's ear, causing her to smile and thank him as she sat.

Katarina flashed a bit of a pained look in Jez's direction; this wasn't precisely her idea of a good time, but duties as they must.
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:28 am

"To be honest, I'm not sure she's even the biggest piece of gold in this room alone." Jez quipped as she looked up at all of the minutely detailed decoration lining the walls and ceilings.

Jezabelle did her best to pay attention to all that was going on, but it really did seem to blur together for her. Pomp and spectacle. She remembered a bit from a video she'd watched online about how royalty used to hold huge banquets where dishes were paraded out before the king and who would sample a tiny portion of each that interested them, and then the remainder was sold to the eager attendees who had come to watch him eat. She hoped that this wouldn't be that kind of a soiree.

The girl couldn't really give a smile in return to Katarina, after all her lower face was covered. But she could make a little heart with her hands, if briefly, to try and keep her spirits up.
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Narrator » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:07 pm

The next course also may have blurred together for Jez, as plates were brought in and whisked away, as dinner preceded dance. A wonderful seafood course, filled with fresh salmon, delicious cod, and plentiful red herring.

During the dinner, occasionally someone from Jez's table would be summoned over to the main table, to have some sort of whispered conversation with the Prince or Princess they reported to -- something that Jez, the disguised Nika, and the mysterious Masked Socialite might be paying attention to for various different reasons.

Princess Erika -- the one whose lands bordered Latveria -- had called her man over shortly after Katarina had sat down, and had whispered something while gesturing in the general direction of her face -- perhaps referencing Katarina's mask?

Princess Lilith -- the socialite who had made a quip about Katarina's appearance -- had called her woman over a bit later; after a bit of a heated conversation with some of the other members of royalty. Her assistant had vanished for a few minutes and come back with a compact to help touch up some miniscule imperfection in her makeup.

Prince Richard -- the student-- had called over his man, who had slipped him a small blue pill, which he immediately took.

Prince Francois -- the newest member of the council -- had had a quickly whispered conversation with his man as well, as the two compared their watches.

Princess Valarie -- the cavalrywoman -- had been eying Jez strangely for a while, before calling Johanna over for a small conversation. The two whispered to each other for a few moments, and both left the table for about five minutes before they returned.

During that time, Princess Hana -- the infantrywoman -- had called over Nina, and had slipped her something under the table, their hands lingering together for a fraction longer than expected before Nina returned.

Any and all of this could be considered normal in normal circumstances. Katarina did not look particularly pleased, as she hadn't throughout the dinner, but that might be because she just wanted to be literally anywhere else on Earth than the palace right now. And, of course, Nika knew that someone, or someones, at the table were plotting against her former charge, leading everything to be cast in a more sinister light.

Still no sign of the king yet, which was unusual in and of itself. Some of the less discrete security around the room could be seen occasionally walking to each other, and listening in to something on their earpieces.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:06 am

Jezabelle was actually pretty decent at taking in and processing a lot of information at once, and focusing - she normally did this with 10 or 12 eyes, so just having to do so with two was relatively easy. It was probably more paranoia and nerves that caused her to do so on this occasion. Katarina was within her own castle and surrounded by not only the palace guards but also numerous royal figures and prominent citizens. Security would have been tight at the best of times, but after what the princess had so recently been through the screening process was no doubt extremely thorough. She really had nothing to worry about, for someone to try something would be akin to suicide.

So why then was she so ill at ease? Yes, to attack the Princess now would be a suicide mission, but suicide bombers were a thing that did exist. She was definitely beginning to feel anxious, which did not aide her digestion in the slightest - and seafood was already a little dicey with her. She subtly gestured to Josef and leaned across the table to softly pose a question to him.

"Is it normal for the King to be late to his own function? Or is this one of those things where the proper time is the moment he arrives, regardless of schedule?" She asked, presuming that this had been the reason that he and the Prince had been checking their watches. That or they were equally as impatient with the rate at which their glasses were being refilled.
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:47 am

Jezabelle Sherlock wrote:She subtly gestured to Josef and leaned across the table to softly pose a question to him.

"Is it normal for the King to be late to his own function? Or is this one of those things where the proper time is the moment he arrives, regardless of schedule?" She asked, presuming that this had been the reason that he and the Prince had been checking their watches. That or they were equally as impatient with the rate at which their glasses were being refilled.

Josef scoffed a little. "Ze Karkovs, they have never been exactly been the most punctual of ze families," he said, turning his nose upwards slightly. "I hope you keep your princess on a shorter leash, or she will truly be ze end of us all," he said, dismissively. "And ze King will arrive when ze King sees fit for him to arrive, I am sure. No doubt he is preparing some sort of grand entrance to remind us all of where our place is."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Nika Novak » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:41 pm

Masked Socialite wrote:“Breathtaking. Simply breathtaking.”

"<She truly is. If... you'll excuse me.>" Nika says, alluding to her waiting duties but really just wanting to keep moving through the crowd and keep an eye on the two tables of Royals and servants in particular. Not that she'd expect an attack to come from that direction but those responsible might give something away if they're anticipating an attack. And she's loathe to admit it to herself, but informing Jez would be advantageous. And so she makes her way over to the servant table and leans over to refill Jez' glass, whispering as she does.

"I'm afraid the goose liver is not on the menu, but one of the houses is still out hunting."
Nika Novak

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:18 am

Narrator wrote:Josef scoffed a little. "Ze Karkovs, they have never been exactly been the most punctual of ze families," he said, turning his nose upwards slightly. "I hope you keep your princess on a shorter leash, or she will truly be ze end of us all," he said, dismissively. "And ze King will arrive when ze King sees fit for him to arrive, I am sure. No doubt he is preparing some sort of grand entrance to remind us all of where our place is."

Jez bit her tongue. There were so many good quips she could have made regarding that leash comment, but most might in some way harm Katarina's reputation of purity, so she decided against them. "I'll take that under advisement. Thank you."

Nika Novak wrote:"I'm afraid the goose liver is not on the menu, but one of the houses is still out hunting."

Jez's poker face was pretty good it seemed, because she managed to get away with just raising an eyebrow and tilting her head up to look at where that familiar voice was coming from. It couldn't be, could it?

"Oh, in that case perhaps I should talk to the chef, to make sure that their substitution still follows my allergy guidelines." Jezabelle looked to the others at the table and offered a soft excusal of herself, pushed her chair back, stood, and turned for the kitchen. She also remained seated and scooted her seat back into place. During most functions at the palace she had kept the use of her powers to a minimum to avoid garnering any more attention than she was already getting - but now she dare not risk taking her eyes off of any of these people. And maybe giving them something to focus on there would take the focus off of her as she walked toward the doorway through which the help and servants entered and left.
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Nika Novak » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:43 pm

Nika finishes going around the table, refilling drinks and taking some orders, making sure she's not obviously following Jez but going to the kitchen because she has to anyway. Clandestine things may not suit her but she's smart enough for this much subterfuge. Stepping out through the servant entrance she looks around for Jez so they can step aside into a side-corridor a bit out of the way.
Nika Novak

Postby Masked Socialite » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:28 pm

The Socialite takes a sip of her white wine, looking quite pleasant as she reapplies a touch of light perfume, and gazes occasionally at the Crown Princess.
Masked Socialite

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:55 am

Nika would find Jez near the service door, seemingly on her phone for some important call, before turning and walking into one of the small side corridors, supposedly for more privacy. When Nika followed she was met with hushed questions from the girl.

"When were you released? Katarina didn't mention that you had been exonerated. And you say that she's still in danger?" She was tempted to hug the woman but... no, they didn't have that kind of a relationship.
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Nika Novak » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:22 am

"I released myself when I heard her life was still in danger. I am... technically a wanted enemy of the state now. One or more of the Royal Houses are going to try something. Tonight almost certainly."
Nika Novak

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:37 am

Jez seemed more concerned with Katarina's safety than Nika being on the run. One was a matter of life and death after all. "Oh my, that's horrible! Which one is it?"
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Nika Novak » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:50 am

"If I knew or had anything substantial I would have informed somebody instead of coming here. You have more of an in now, but I'll be here to... back you two up." she says and Jez could swear she's avoiding looking directly at Jez, but the mask makes it a bit hard to tell. Either way that couldn't have been easy for her to say like that.
Nika Novak

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:56 pm

"You do not have any suspicions or leads? Geeze, then we can barely stand at the ready at all. How can we hope to prevent it when we don't even have any idea of who intends to do it, or how?" She fidgeted a bit in her chair back at the table but was otherwise silent and observant. Very observant.

"I should tell Katarina at once, slip her a note or something. In the meantime you know more about these people and their agendas than I do, maybe some of this will mean something to you." She looked around before she noticed the little notebook in the serving station with the extra wine glasses and linen napkins. Likely meant for times when there were requests that were too precise and important to trust the wait staff to commit to memory. She grabbed it and began to scribble a little note as she told Nika of all she'd observed, and her personal impressions of each.
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Narrator » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:58 pm

As the two talked in the back, they would notice some movement happening around them. A few more security guards in tuxedos were headed towards the main floor, alongside the dessert courses. A sign of the impending arrival of the king? Or something bigger?
Narrator
Site Admin

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to The Rest of the World