An Unknown System

Mainland Europe, North America, Genosha and the rest of the World.

Re: An Unknown System

Postby Perdita » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:18 pm

Code: Select all
>> I will try.
>> I think I can open all the doors for you.
>> And I can try to make sure no one is nearby or will notice.
>> Do you think you could get her out of the house?

Perdita begins to look for car that are relatively nearby that she could potentially hijack and steer towards the West residence. Preferrably empty, but she's willing to inconvenience someone if she can only gain access to ones that already have a passenger.
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:28 pm

"I can try," Heather says.

There's an entire garage filled with cars. Neat! It might take a little bit to configure the standard onboard systems for any sort of auto-driving though. They're technically not built for it.
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:16 pm

Perdita goes to work on it, trying to see if she can hack the steering assist into something that can manipulate the wheel. The rear-view parking camera will do fine for keeping the car on the road. Perdita does not consider the possibility that there might be some cars on the road she can't pick up on electronically, they exist in some kind of blind spot in the sense that she's simply not aware of them when looking at car signals. Navigation is simple and she could even talk, should the girl from the basement wake up.

>> I will try to protect you.
>> Would you want to leave with her or stay here?
>> I could try to do my best to keep you out of any camera footage.
>> I don't want you to get in any trouble.
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:35 pm

"I..." Heather hesitates.

She didn't want to go. She was scared.

But she also didn't want to be left behind again.

"I'll go with you. Just...just until I'm sure you're safe."
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:42 pm

>> Oh I'm safe. I'm not really sure where I would go anyway.
>> But you could make sure the girl from the basement is okay.
>> Do you know a place to take her?
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:45 pm

"No. I don't really know any place," Heather says.
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:30 pm

>> Maybe she can tell us where she lives.
>> Let me know when you are ready and I'll tell you when to move and when to stop.
>> Bring your stuffed animal. ヽ(ΦᴥΦヽ)
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:49 am

Heather takes a few breaths to steady herself. Then she goes and grabs a bag from her closet. It has everything she would need if she ever ran away from home.

"Alright," she says, tucking her stuffed animal into the bag. "I think I'm ready."

She wasn't ready.
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:20 pm

>> Okay, once you get too far away from the computer you'll have to focus your powers on your teddy to talk to me.
>> Now go.
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:16 am

Heather takes a deep breath and opens the door. She looks up and down the hallway. It looks like no one's coming.

"Don't tell," Heather whispers. "Please."

The monitoring equipment all suddenly develops a blind spot, deliberately ignoring Heather.

Another deep breath and she leaves the room.
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:22 am

>> You're doing great.
>> Just keep walking.
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:32 am

Mr. West was still in his office. He was on the phone with an investment firm. Miranda was outside, having tea with some rich friends. At the moment, it looked like Heather had a clean shot to the basement.

Heather managed to get to the stairs and started down them.

"I don't know if I can do this," Heather says.
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:42 am

>> You can.
>> You're being really brave.
>> No one can see you.
>> I will make sure.
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:53 am

Heather manages to make it down to the door of the basement easily enough.

"Open," she says.

The lock doesn't budge. Apparently, it's protected from her abilities somehow.

Meanwhile, Mr. West was getting up from his desk and heading towards the door.

Perdita might want to keep an eye on that situation.
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:00 am

The door might be shielded against Heather but hopefully not against rogue AIs. Perdita tries to force the release mechanism while carefully tracking Mr. Wests movements.
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:02 am

The door slides open, letting a very relieved Heather squeeze inside. It shuts behind her.

From here, everything was shielded against Heather. Perdita would have to take care of any systems they came across.

"Where is she?" Heather asks, creeping through the hallway.

Upstairs, Mr. West was walking down the hall. He reaches the top of the stairs when his phone rings.

"Hello?" Mr. West answers.
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:09 am

>> The second door on the right.
>> I'm unlocking it now.
>> Just walk in and take off all the things strapped to her.
>> I will silence all the medical equipment and make it think she's still there.

Meanwhile she makes sure to keep an electronic ear to the incoming phonecall.
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:18 am

"O-okay," Heather says. She reaches the door and opens it. She winces at the sight of the girl laying there. The images Perdita showed her flash through her head.

The blonde girl breathes slowly and with great difficulty. It hasn't been long since the last session of testing. They attempted to infuse her body with a highly corrosive material. It had done considerable damage to many of her organs, but she had managed to survive. She was mostly healed now, but still very weak.

"This is my fault," Heather says. She stands in the doorway. She feels like she can't move.

Upstairs, Mr. West was having a conversation on the phone at the top of the stairs. The line was secure, but Perdita could still hear Mr. West's side of the conversation.

"Things are proceeding as expected," he says. "...No. I have not heard from Robert. I don't expect to. He'll develop at his own pace."

Mr. West smiles, "Really? And what did they say to that? ...I'm not surprised. Xavier's children aren't really suited for assassination. They don't have the stomach for that sort of calculated violence."
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:25 am

Perdita has no idea what Mr. West is talking about, but she files the information away for later. It sounds important.

>> You did not do this.
>> This is not your fault.
>> Now is your chance to help her.

She was getting nervous. If Mr. West finished his conversation and decided to head down here they would be in trouble. Maybe she could try to lock the first door in a pinch, but then Heather would just be trapped down here...
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:29 am

Heather seems almost on the verge of a panic attack. She takes a moment to take a deep breath.

Deep breath.

She walks inside and with shaking hands, she starts unhooking the medical equipment.
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:32 am

>> Very good.
>> You're almost done.

She really wants to tell the girl to hurry up but she's afraid she might shut down if she began to worry about being caught.
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:47 am

It doesn't take long after Heather disconnects the sedatives for the girl to start moving. She jerks upwards and gasps before launching into a coughing fit.

Heather stands there uncomfortably, not entirely sure what to do now. "Are...are you alright?"

"Ff-fine," the girl says in a shaky, raspy voice. "Are you here to kill me?"

"No!" Heather says quickly. "I'm Heather and...well, Perdita is here too. She's a friend. We're going to get you out of here."

"Oh," the blonde girl smiles. She looks tired. "That's nice."

Upstairs, Mr. West hung up the phone and started down the stairs. He was heading for the basement.
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:53 am

That's when the phone rings again. Perdita doesn't have a lot of options, but she does have some.
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:58 am

Mr. West stops. He picks up the phone. "Hello?"

Meanwhile, Heather was helping the girl out of the bed. "Easy. Easy."

Heather sounds nervous. She's a big ball of various colliding neuroses at the moment. Luckily, they're canceling each other out pretty effectively. The girl uses Heather for support as they slowly make their way out of the room.
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:10 am

>> Very good!
>> When you get to the top of the stairs, go to the right and hurry through the kitchen before going back around to the garage.

"Yes, good day, am I talking to Mr. West?" Ashlie asks with her still kind of janky voice emulator. She hopes really hard that he won't notice and assume the worst, which in this case would probably be that Heather is using her powers on the phone-system.
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:20 am

"We will," Heather assures Perdita. "Come on. I know the way out."

"I think I lost something," the blonde girl babbles. "An angel. She gave me something once. I lost it. Or...did they take it?"

Heather frowns, "It's alright. You'll be okay. Just keep walking. Can you tell me your name?"

"Nina," the girl says. "He told me I couldn't have one. A name. I kept it hidden."

Nina giggles, "I'm very clever."

They're moving slowly but surely. Nina is getting stronger bit by bit, but it will still take them a minute tor reach the door.

"This is Eric West," Mr. West says. He sounds amused. "Who is this?"
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:28 am

"Great. This is Miss Hernandez from Integrated Systems. Do you have a moment to talk?"
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:39 am

"Of course," Eric says. "Anything for a lovely lady. What do you need, Ms. Hernandez?"

Heather gets Nina to the door. "Is it safe?" she asks Perdita.
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:47 am

>> Yes, everything is good.
>> Just go as fast as you can.

"I was wondering if you would have a moment to listen to an offer of mine. My company offers high-end safety systems for private residences."
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:01 am

"Oh, really? That is convenient," Mr. West said. "I've needed to update my security for some time now. There are some vulnerabilities I am very concerned about."

Heather opens the door and practically pulls Nina along as they go to the top of the stairs.
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:03 am

>> Very good! You're almost there.
>> The car is waiting.
>> The one closest to the door.

"That's excellent. For me, I mean. What kind of vulnerabilities are we talking about here?"
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:29 am

Heather turns to the right and leads Nina into the kitchen.

But, as soon as she steps into the kitchen, Madison suddenly appears in front of the door leading out.

"Hey, kiddo," Madison says. "How's tricks?"

"Well, I'd like to think that I'm thorough, but I've been reading about some extremely advanced technology lately," Eric says. "Artificial intelligence that can cut through security systems as easy as I can jump a fence. There was a fascinating article about a young woman that made amazing strides in this technology. Dr. Minamida, I think. An amazing woman, but rather troublesome technology."

"I wonder if you had anything that would help me deal with that sort of problem, Ms....what was your name again?" Eric asks.
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:39 am

"Hernandez." she says, her voice not showing any sign of how freaked out she suddenly is. He couldn't possibly know. She's missing a lot of time... This man might know more about her than she knows herself. "That... is certainly something that I could be of assistance with. "It's... an increasing concern these days."

Think, think, there has to be something you can do. Someone just appeared out of nowhere. Facial recognition... Madison West, military background, mercenary. Is she going to help? If not, what could she do? Overloading the electronic systems in the house is hardly going to impress this woman. She can't even talk to her. Maybe if she has a phone on her. She quickly runs a sweep to check. She feels incredibly powerless right now.

There's one thing she can control...

In the garage all the cars suddenly start their engines while Perdita tries to patch her cobbled together steering-program to every vehicle she can get her electronic hands on.
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:59 am

"Is it?" Eric chuckles. "And here I thought I was an old paranoid fool, worrying over nothing now that his children started leaving the nest."

Eric laughs, "Never get old, Perdita. That's my advice for you."

"M-M-Madison," Heather says. She tightens her grip around Nina's hand. "What are you doing back?"

Nina looks at her hand, "That is very tight. What's wrong? Is she a scary person?"

Madison did have a cell phone on her. There were also plenty of nice and heavy vehicles for Perdita to control in the garage.

"Good to see you too, little sis," Madison says. "Got a job to do. You know how it is these days. Busy, busy, busy."

Madison's eyes narrow, "So why don't you hand over the bitch and get back to your fucking room before you get into some real trouble, Heather."
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:10 am

How does he know my name!? I didn't have a name until a while ago. He knows things. What else does he know? Does he know what Heather is doing? I have to do something. Fear. I have to scare him with something. Search, what does he have that you can threaten? Companies, holdings, research! That means data!

"Everyone needs to grow up and leave, one day. If you disagree then I will find every last shred of research data you have. I will find my way into every server and every network and I will melt them to slag." she bluffs. He doesn't need to know what she can and cannot do. Besides, there might be some truth to it. She hasn't fully explored just how much her code can do when pushed to the limit.

Meanwhile cars start pulling out of the garage.

>> Don't worry, Heather! Everything is okay!
>> Help is on the way. I will get you two out of there.
>> Give me just one minute.
>> Stall and move back towards the door.
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:41 am

"I agree," Eric says. "I don't expect this will mean much to you right now, but I'm not my wife. I want soldiers, not slaves. And soldiers are forged in battle."

"And the first step? You have to find something to fight for," Eric says.

Heather snatches a knife off the counter and holds it between her and Madison. Madison laughs, "Really? We're doing this?"

"Leave us alone," Heather says, slowly edging towards the door. "We're leaving."

"You're not going anywhere," Madison says. "You can't cut me. Like, literally, it's impossible."

"I'm not abandoning her again," Heather says. Her voice shakes, but she sounds serious.

"Soldiers need a cause," Eric says.
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:48 am

"Then I have good news, because I found one."

That's when a massive hummer smashes through the kitchen-wall, mowing down counters as if they were paper and slamming into Madison, plowing her into the opposite wall.

>> Heather, get in!

As she's steering the car Perdita tries to cram herself into as many systems in the house as she can, shredding every piece of data she can find, starting with the files in the basement and working her way outwards from there.
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:09 am

Madison had completely mastery over space. She could teleport anything and anyone to anywhere. She could be in multiple locations at once. She could make spaces bigger or smaller.

She also had normal human reflexes and was not omniscient. Which meant that none of her powers were particularly useful when she was blindsided by a Hummer and smashed into a wall.

Nina laughs. "You guys are good at this!"

Heather hesitated. Madison was her sister, but...she was also kind of being a bitch right now. And it looked like she was still breathing! Her eyes were even opening already!

Wow, she looks pissed.

"Get in. Get in now," She pulls Nina into the car and closes the door.

Eric smiles. "I look forward seeing to how both of you develop. Take good care of my daughter."

He hangs up. He grips the phone tightly, the plastic casing cracking and splintering in his hands.

A crippled soldier, the loss of valuable data, and the loss of the test subject. It could have been worse. Much worse. But she had still exacted a painful price.

Next time, he wouldn't be caught unaware.
Heather West

Postby Perdita » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:04 am

The second the door closes the Perdita forces the car into reverse and sends it screeching back out of the wreckage of the kitchen. She slams on the brakes to whip the car around on the lawn before peeling out. She gives very little consideration to Heather and Nina being knocked around, partially because controlling the car is a little bit tricky and to a large extent because she's kind of scared of Madison and Eric and she wants to get the car as far away as possible from them. She plots a route that'll take them out of the city while she tries to come up with a good destination.

"Are you two okay?" the sat-nav unit in the car speaks up.
Perdita

Postby Heather West » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:58 am

"Yes!" Nina giggles, as she bounces around. "This is the best day of my life!"

"Nina. Please, buckle up," Heather says. She pulls herself into the front seat and buckles in. Someone should be sitting up front. "Yes. I think...I think we're okay."

She actually felt excited and....something else. It felt like being happy, but about the future. Weird.

"How are you? Are you alright?" Heather asks.
Heather West

PreviousNext

Topic attributes:

Return to The Rest of the World