To Russia, With Hate

Mainland Europe, North America, Genosha and the rest of the World.

To Russia, With Hate

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Getting the Blackbird out and about had been easier than Tereza thought it would be. It was almost as if X-23 had known what she was up to and had cleared the road a bit. She double-checked her shapeshifting outfit and then pulled on cold weather gear, bundling her strange hair into a ponytail and from there up into a knit hat. She sets the Blackbird down in an out-of-the-way place that she hopes will keep it properly hidden. As she walks down the ramp to disembark, she pauses to fight off some bad memories that come rushing back. Her eyes flick to yellow for a moment and she takes a deep breath. Then her eyes turn normal again and she begins walking in the direction of Zelenogorsk.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

High Concept: Winter Wolf
Aspect: Chip Off The Old Ice Block
Aspect: Escaped Asset
Aspect: Servant Alpha
Aspect: Partner To The Fey

Re: To Russia, With Hate

Postby Narrator » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:05 pm

A couple years ago, when Tereza had enjoyed the hospitality of this place, the city had been closed, access restricted to those with appropriate permits. With the mutant 'school' shut down who knows if those restrictions are still in place. Approaching one of the entrances into the city it seems like the gates are still very much in place, but tearing them down probably wouldn't be high on the list of priorities. Either way, trying to get through that way would almsot certainly have somebody notice her, even if she might not get stopped.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:08 pm

Once Tereza sees the gates, she diverts away from them, looking for a better way into town. Going in some other way is going to mean ducking guards and possibly dogs, depending on how militant the Russians feel, but she feels like she can do that. She feels like she can do anything.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:23 pm

It doesn't seem as stringent as when she was here last, but maybe that's just a matter of perception. Then she was younger and less experienced, being lead on their escape by somebody else. Now she's in charge of things. Or at least herself. And her senses are sharper, she can smell the few patrols before they can spot her and to their dogs she doesn't register as their target anymore. Nobody trains guard dogs to react to the smell of other dogs or wolves. She's just better than them in every aspect, more alert, deadlier and the wolf at her side is part of her without having been domesticated and cowed. It takes little effort to slip past the patrols and vault over the fence to get into the city proper.

Her sense of superiority falters a little when she gets to the grounds of her former home. It too seems smaller now somehow, but it still reminds her of a different time. Of course now it's windows are empty and weeds are growing in the courtyard. Most of the windows are intact. This is not the kind of city that has people throw rocks into abandoned buildings or drunks taking up residence inside. There's an odd smell to the place, but maybe it has always been there and she only notices now.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:28 pm

She cases the structures for a long while or that's what she tells herself she's doing. It's certainly not because she's reluctant to set foot on the grounds now that she's actually here. After what feels like forever to her, she approaches the building, skirting around the outside to see if the hole in the wall that the Brotherhood made is still there. It's been years so they may have patched it, but all that means is that she has to go over another wall.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:35 pm

The hole has indeed been patched, although boarded up might be the better word to describe it. Climbing it is pretty simple, even with the memories this place brings back.

Yelling... People getting shoved around to get them to move. People panicking. Alerts going off.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:42 pm

The ice knife is in Tereza's hand almost before she realizes what she's doing. In this place, it's an automatic reaction, but she flicks the knife away in disgust to bury itself in a convenient drift of snow. No one pushes me around now. No one. As her feet touch the courtyard, the urge to run slaps her across the face. That flicker of yellow irises again and she pushes forward, moving across the courtyard to the main building.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:01 pm

The main doors are closed, which probably isn't too surprising. They had often been when Tereza had been here last. It hadn't always been like that, but during the last couple months of her stay, things had gotten even stricter...
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Tereza approaches the doors, giving them a cursory look for any sort of alarm mechanism. There had been one back in the day, but it was to keep people in, not keep them out. She rests her hand against the crack between doors and ice floods into the crack to force the latches open so she can slip inside.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:16 pm

No alarm rings out, the only sound the crack of the wood splintering slightly echoing in the empty entrance. There's a slight layer of dust on the floor, enough that she can tell no one has been here for quite a while.

Flashes of moments of levity. Kids running through the entrance hall, playing some kind of game. Grim adults watching, but tolerating it. Later, older kids, being hurried through to get to the dining hall. Less leeway, they can handle being treated more like adults, like the soldiers they're meant to become. She remembers the drills out int he courtyard and she remembers them stopping one day, without any reason given. Rumors spread, some ringing of freedom, others of new drills, students getting selected for special programs and not being seen again. She'd never found out just what happened before the Brotherhood freed them...

Two doors lead to the side from the entrance hall, one to each wing. Boys and girls. Ahead the stairs leading up to the administration and the rooms and offices of those in control. Off to the side, slightly hidden but still obvious enough, metal doors leading into the basement. She'd never been down there, always having been told it was merely the boiler and utilities down there.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:20 pm

She loiters in the entrance for a moment, assessing the possibilities. Then a sudden urge overwhelms her and she heads into the girl's wing to find her old room. It's right where she left it and she takes a deep breath as she pushes the door to it open to look at it again.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:12 pm

It's empty. Just another abandoned room with only a bed without a mattress left. Nobody else who came here would even recognize the significance of this room...

"They said I got selected! That it's going to make me even stronger. You just wait and I'll kick your butt, Reza!" the slightly younger girl brags, standing in the door to Tereza's room. The rematch never happened. The next day she hadn't seen Anna and the night after that had been when the sirens had blared over the sounds of fighting and the mental presence of three women brushing over everyone's minds, trying to calm them with promises of freedom.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Tereza blinks and shakes her head, trying to wash the memories away. Anna. As close to a little sister as Tereza has ever had. Tereza didn't like to think about it. She preferred to move on with life. But then again, she never thought she'd be back here. She clenches a fist, ice forming the likeness of a shaggy pelt and claws over her hand. Mission. Have to focus on the mission. With a great deal of effort, she wrenches herself away from the doorway and heads back to the foyer. She eyes the basement door for a moment and then turns to go up to the admin offices. Research first, then she could really do some digging.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Business Mandy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:56 pm

Most of the offices are empty. The Russian authorities had the luxury of taking their time cleaning everything up after the attack. Here and there a couple loose pieces of paper, bits of files on students, delivery notices about food and supplies. In one of rooms she finds an upturned desk, pushed against the wall. A couple drawers are pulled out and scattered around the room, but wedged between desk and wall she manages to pry out a nameplate that must have sat on the desk at some point. 'Director Gregory Petrov' It's not a name she remembers, but then again they were intentionally kept away from the higher ups.

As she's kneeling in front of the desk a very perceptive person might note that while the desk is missing 5 drawers, six of them are lieing around the room. And it's that last one that slowly rises, wooden texture flowing away as the wood seems to grow fresher, greener, finally fading into pink skin as the shape of a woman, complete with business-suit quietly takes shape. It's in that split-second that Tereza's nose picks up on the odd scent again,s tronger, before it fades into that of a person! But before she has a chance to act, the woman has stepped up behind her and pulled some kind of injector from somewhere and as Tereza whirls around she feels it pressed against her shoulder, injecting something with a strange hiss and her eyelids... begin to.... grow...... heavy..........

The woman, steps back, eyeing Tereza almost curiously as she sinks into unconsciousness.
Business Mandy

Postby Business Mandy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:12 pm

When Tereza regains consciousness the first thing she notices is that she's in some kind of pod. The front of it is glass or at least some kind of transparent substance and she can see a tiled room outside. Flickering fluorescent bulbs are dimly illuminating it, clearly old and almost impressive that they're still working. Her nose tells her that she's still in the same building, judging by the lack of windows probably the basement. There are cabinets lining the walls, most of them empty, some holding empty containers for what must have been chemicals. Old stainless steel tables are scattered throughout the room and in the middle what can only be an operation table of some sort. Unlike the pod she's in all those things at least seem identifiable and familiar. The thing she's in is not. It's made from familiar materials, but even from inside Tereza can tell it's design is odd. Futuristic almost, kind of organic in it's lines even. Oval, almost like an elongated egg. Vaguely reminiscent of Cerebra's capsule but of a more alien design.

Through the glass (or maybe plastic? It's hard to tell for sure) she can see the far door opening and the woman stepping into the room, carrying a large suitcase. She pulls up one of the rolling tables and places her suitcase on it before pushing it over to the pod Tereza is in. The woman looks amazingly smug right now.

"You know... they called me an idiot when I suggested to leave a proximity alarm behind. No one's gonna bother. It's abandoned anyway. But here we are, caught a fly with it's hand in the empty honeypot." She does not seem to be aware of the fact that the saying, while technically getting it's message across, doesn't really make any sense.
Business Mandy

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Tereza works hard to rein her wolf in as it realizes just how confined they are. We will make her pay, she reassures the wolf, which quiets her for the moment. "I might still call you an idiot, but not for that reason," she says cryptically, "So what are we doing here?" She glances at the suitcase.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Business Mandy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:45 pm

Instead of answering her question, the woman just goes off on a tangent.

"Why bringing the stray back into the flock, of course. I know who you are, 227B. Your mother got away before we ever had a chance to work on her. Your sister? Model student. First time this process actually worked on one of your kind. Unfortunately, by that point you'd long flown the hoop."
Business Mandy

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:48 pm

"What process would that be? The cloning?" She tries to form some ice along her spine, trying to keep it out of sight for the moment. She could let the wolf loose, but she's not ready to play the furry ace up her sleeve just yet.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Business Mandy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:08 pm

Something about her power is responding very sluggishly. It doesn't help that the interior of the pod is fairly dry and moisture to turn into ice is hard to come by, but something of the stuff the woman injected her with must have done something to suppress her power. She can feel it, but it's distant and weak.

"And have even more of running around? You have a defiant streak one point seven kilometers wide. No thank you. The Imprinting Ritual is to fix that. Of course I have to work with this old clunky thing, so results may be... of varying quality, but I tell you what, I'll let you chose which one of these is gonna replace your current, hard to work with personality." she says and opens the suitcase. Inside are several cylinders full of some kind of liquid or gel. "We got a... Russian Major memory matrix? That's not bad. Very reliable guy. Loves following orders. Well, he did before he got mulched. Now he mostly enjoys sitting in a suitcase. Oh wait, you guys got a thing about genders, yeah? Then I got a soldier here, decorated hero, spinal paralysis from when her squad was blown up so you'll be extra grateful you can walk."
Business Mandy

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:04 pm

"I think I'll stick with me. I've just recently gotten this personality broken in and I'd hate to have to start all over with a new one." Okay. So no power. Hopefully Ashlie's wrong about the other thing being a mutant power. Still, she had to wait for the opportune moment. "So I'd wager you're not human then?"
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Business Mandy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:27 pm

"Hah! Nice try, but I'm not falling for that one! You think I'm gonna tell you everything just cause your memories are gonna get dumped on, but I'm not as dumb as some of the others."

Something beeps, presumably some kind of communicator based on the fact that somebody else's voice rings out. "Shra Nurh dar'lok kraah?"

The woman facepalms and stands like that for a couple seconds. "Really? Really!? While I'm out and about? Over the communicator?"

"What, someone actually there? Is the squirrel that tripped the alarm listening in?" In English the voice sounds familiar. The man who choked Sam and got stabbed for his trouble.

"See what I mean? Swear to Sl'gur't... Anyway! If you wanna be difficult that's your call, but this really works better when you're cooperating. Taking on someone's memory matrix is kinda rough already And when your body's so... inflexible..." she trails off as she pulls the second cylinder out of the suitcase and walks over to the side of the pod where Tereza can't really see what she's doing.
Business Mandy

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 pm

"Good to know. Tell your friend I'm going to tear him apart the next time I see him." And that's the moment Tereza's looking for. She lets the wolf loose, giving herself to it fully because the wolf's a survivor and right now that's what she needs. Her eyes wash to yellow and she let's the change take her, forcing her body against the front of the pod in the process.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Business Mandy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:41 pm

Whatever cocktail is disabling her ice-powers, it seems to have little to no effect on her shifting. As her body is wrenching itself into it's new form the pod begins to rapidly fill with what seems to be a mixture of water and the goop in the cylinder. Where it touches her it creates an odd sensation, like feint electrical zaps like static electricity. The pod is about one thirds full when she slams herself into the window and... it doesn't budge. It doesn't even have the decency to crack! Meanwhile the liquid continues to rise...

The woman outside seems startled by the change, having taken a step back and regarding her struggle carefully. "You really ought to inform me of any pre-existing medical conditions like that. This is going to be a mess..." she frowns.
Business Mandy

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:49 pm

Her claws try to dig into the inner wall of the pod, scraping and scratching as she looks for a seam. Out. Need to get out.

Calm. Look for your way. Panic gets us nowhere.

Even as she continues to claw, the werewolf continues glancing around the pod, looking for something she missed earlier.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:57 pm

The metal isn't seamless, but while it's welded together there's not really any place to wedge her claws in. But more pressingly, images and scenes begin flashing through her mind. Skipping around a playground that is mostly concrete and metal jungle-gyms and swings. Back pressed against the hot desert sand, fingers clutching an AK47. Push-ups in some barracks, other soldiers next to her doing the same, someone making a dirty joke to take their minds off their burning arms. Hugging her mom good-bye and slinging a duffelbag over her shoulder while walking towards a waiting bus. Smoke and fire everywhere, searing pain in her back somewhere, yelling. Standing tall in front of a desk and saluting her superior for the first time after signing up for the military. It's all jumbled, out of order, thoughts and memories that aren't hers flashing before her eyes before the tank swims into focus again for a moment...
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:00 am

Without anything else to work with, the werewolf resorts to slamming into the window even as the pod tries to overwrite her memory. She knows it's probably a losing battle, but she kill herself trying before she just lets it happen.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:09 am

She rams her shoulder into the window and once against it doesn't budge. But while the memories are quickly sapping her conscious mind of strength, the wolf side of things doesn't really need that. Soon the whole pod is filled with liquid and, as she rams herself into the front, manages to get her knees against the back-wall. Suddenly there's leverage and the pod begins to groan as werewolf-muscles works against metal and reinforced glass. At first it's just a small creak that Tereza's mind barely registers, but first one, then two bolts spring free somewhere and suddenly the door of the pod bursts outward under a squall of liquid, spilling the flailing werewolf onto the floor.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:22 am

The werewolf scrambles to all fours, wanting to be out of the nasty fluid. She snorts, expelling the liquid from her nose and looking around for the woman whose fault this is.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Business Mandy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:26 am

"Oh this is not good..." the woman says as she slowly backs away, hands blindly grasping behind her to grab the suitcase with the remaining containers.
Business Mandy

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:32 am

No playing with this one. This one tried to hurt us. This one has to die. The werewolf lunges for her in almost complete silence. No growling, no menacing, no threats. This woman is now her prey.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Business Mandy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:45 am

As fragile as the woman looks she really stands no chance against the mountain of muscle and fur leaping at her. But as Tereza flies through the air the woman's shape twists and reshapes itself. Pink skin is replaced by mottled grey, her head sinking between her shoulders as thick armor plates grow on her arms and back. She brings her hands up in front of her and throws her own weight against Tereza, knocking her off to the side and sending her crashing into an empty metal table.
Business Mandy

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:50 am

Tereza get to her feet and grabs the table, swinging it at the shifted creature with all her strength.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Business Mandy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:56 am

The blow sends the creature tumbling back and into the wall. After a moment of getting it's bearing it uses the wall to push itself off and launch itself at Tereza head-on.
Business Mandy

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:04 am

Tereza takes the blow and there's the brief crunch of bone as something gives way under the creature's strength. Her claws grab at the bony plates, trying to find purchase at the edge of a plate with her claws so that she can try to rip the plate off the creature.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Business Mandy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:12 am

The thing clearly has at least some experience fighting, but it did not expect that, especially not after hearing a bone crack. It tries to punch at Tereza as she goes to work but soon stops in favor of letting out a wailing scream as the armored-plate comes away under a spray of green blood. Pulling the injured arm away it throws a series of punches at Tereza's head with it's healthy arm, trying to drive her onto the ground.
Business Mandy

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:18 am

The repeated blows knock her down, but she keeps trying to rise and after a bit it becomes obvious that she's regenerating. One clawed hand lashes out, trying to grab the creature's head to slam it into the floor near her.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Business Mandy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:22 am

Unlike Tereza, the armored... whatever-it-is, does not seem to be recovering as well, judging by the bloody gash left behind on it's arm and Tereza manages to grab a hold of it's head. The tiles on the floor crack under the impact and after the second impact the fight seems to go out of the creature and it slumps to the floor.
Business Mandy

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:33 am

Tereza moves away, eyes still on the creature as she gives her wounds time to mend. She's starting to get hungry, so hungry, but there's nothing to eat here because whatever that is is most certainly *not food*.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Postby Business Mandy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:37 am

After a bit the creature seems to come to with a groan, rolling over on it's back, holding it's head.

"God I hate you assholes..." she moans and it's not entirely clear who she's referring to.
Business Mandy

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:58 am

WHAM! Tereza quickly hits her with the table. Don't like you either.

Should kill her.

Hold on... I have a better idea.

The werewolf looks around and then shrugs, grabbing the creature by the head and begins dragging it and the suitcase back upstairs.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to The Rest of the World