Technopaths Dreaming Of Sheep Packets On Gigabit Streets

Newsfeeds, E-Mails, story-important websites and anything that happens in Cyberspace.

Technopaths Dreaming Of Sheep Packets On Gigabit Streets

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri May 26, 2017 3:11 pm

Natalie had been spending a lot of extra time in the workshop, not paying attention to the clock. So much so that she'd fallen asleep with her brain still connected to the network. That was about the time that Ashlie picks up a strange anomaly developing in the network.
Natalie Denisov
Student

High Concept: Ghost In The Machine
Aspect: More Comfortable With Things
Aspect: Quad-Core Mind
Aspect: Lighthouse Keeper
Aspect: Sufficiently Advanced Technology

Re: Technopaths Dreaming Of Sheep Packets On Gigabit Streets

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri May 26, 2017 3:19 pm

As with most anomalies, the first, almost instinctual reaction is to carefully restrict and monitor the sub-systems of the affected area. A fluke in the robotic arms could wreck havoc on the workshop. Then she carefully sends a data request into the system with the intent of patching said data through to a control program to analyse the system specs. She'd activate the cameras in the affected area, but she'd rather not risk feeding potentially corrupted visual data into her actual self.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri May 26, 2017 3:25 pm

As she begins quarantining the affected systems, they respond by almost regarding the walls she's putting in place with... curiosity? The data request comes back with a sound file that replays the sounds that one would expect to find on a normal city street: cars, the occasional bird, footfalls, and conversations of no particular importance.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri May 26, 2017 3:41 pm

That's odd to say the least. Next she sends a request to establish a data exchange protocol. Perhaps a more direct access to the data will provide more insight. As she does she quickly checks the danger room to see if any sensory data is accidentally getting patched through the Point systems and finds it shut off.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri May 26, 2017 3:45 pm

What she gets back through the data exchange is a mountain of location data for a massive pile of various entities with non-sensical reference designations. It's akin to the data she would expect to get out of the Danger Room, if the Danger Room was poorly organized and programmed by some insane coder.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri May 26, 2017 3:52 pm

Maybe some Danger Room data did get dumped in the wrong system and now it's getting chewed up? She pulls up a log of recently loaded DR scenarios while beginning to put together an improvised program to parse what she's getting from the anomaly. It'd be much easier if she knew the rhyme or reason behind how the data is structured, but ultimately this doesn't have to be efficient if she just throws enough programming power behind sorting through the mess. She can copy and adjust Danger Room algorithms to actually take the properly formatted data and visualize it in a virtual environment. Much simpler when all you have to work with is virtual physics instead of real ones interacting with hard-light projections.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri May 26, 2017 4:32 pm

The location data resolves itself to a city street with apartment buildings on each side. Small cars are parked here and there and a few people walk past, having conversations that don't make any sense. At the bounds of the area, the data becomes less complete and some buildings are near featureless due to a lack of data. A look at a street sign and a quick correlation would put this street somewhere in Cardiff. Down the street, Ashlie sees a familiar figure come out of one of the buildings, a massive hockey bag over one shoulder, "Be home after work, Mum!" Natalie pops the hatchback on a small car and carefully sets the bag in the back of the car.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri May 26, 2017 4:39 pm

That would certainly explain the anomaly, Ashlie concludes. Natalie had been working on her project earlier and this being her doing makes a lot of sense. Ashlie takes another look at the unformatted data and tries to put together a data package that emulates it while containing her own information. It would be precise in an artificial environment, but compared to the convoluted mess of the anomaly it lacks depth. Almost seems simplistic.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 pm

It's fairly easy, and even as she inserts herself into the anomaly, the anomaly responds by helpfully attempting to fill in details, just small things here and there and nothing inherently destructive. The location data gets wobbly as Natalie hops in the front seat and the car pulls out. It's like a timeclock hiccup for Ashlie as the car suddenly pulls into a spot in a secured parking garage without really traversing any intervening space. Natalie gets out of the car, seeing Ashlie's reflection in the car's rear window as she retrieves the bag. She turns around, "Ashlie? What are you doing down here?"
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri May 26, 2017 5:23 pm

Even just figuring out how to respond is taking tremendous amounts of processing power. She has location data figured out and it seems Natalie has filled out visual data on the fly somehow, but this whole system is incredibly confusing to Ashlie.

"I don't know. Partially because I am not sure what this system is."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri May 26, 2017 5:29 pm

"We're in Avengers' Annex in Cardiff," Natalie says as if that should mean something. "You usually don't come down to my car to meet me. You say you're not sure what system you're in? Are you having separation anxiety? Maybe I should take a look at your server farm again."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri May 26, 2017 6:32 pm

"I was inspecting an anomaly in the workshop systems. I suspect you were projecting it, but I'm unsure why or what the purpose of this scenario is."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri May 26, 2017 6:39 pm

The location data crackles a little bit as Natalie blinks at Ashlie. "Well, I haven't been here all night, but let's go look at the workshop shall we?" She shoulders the bag, heading towards an elevator that scans her as she approaches, opening. Ashlie's quarantine catches an errant security request that wouldn't have gone anywhere anyway as it makes no programmatic sense. The elevator still has that garbage location data and like the car, seems to be in two places at once.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri May 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Ashlie follows, curiously making copies of all the non-sense data to look over in detail later, once she's figured out what Natalie is doing.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri May 26, 2017 7:06 pm

"I have to swing by Shari's office and drop off her birthday present, but then we'll go straight to the workshop," she says as the elevator closes and almost immediately opens onto a floor with nice looking offices. She walks a bit and sets down the bag in front of an office with the nameplate "Shari". She fishes around in the bag and pulls out a wrapped package, waving her hand at the door lock which responds with a satisfied beep and admits her to the office. Another errant security request pings the quarantine. "Okay," she says, returning to the hallway despite only having been in the office a fraction of a second, "Let's go see what's bugging you in the workshop." She begins heading towards a set of stairs. More garbage location data and they're looking into a glassed in area with redundant systems that make no sense to Ashlie's programming. No one would design a test system this way, let alone some sort of production simulation. "Not picking up anything unusual," Natalie says, looking around before heading towards a large vault door.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri May 26, 2017 7:15 pm

"You don't notice that none of this makes sense? It's incredible that it's parsing at all, but even the content is not concurrent with facts. Are you trying to design a long-term plan?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri May 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Ashlie's question causes the location data to fracture a bit again and this time Natalie seems to notice. Her bag unzips and several pieces fly out of it, latching onto her body and securing in place. The panels are painted in white and green and the red dragon of Wales is emblazoned across the chestplate. The helmet locks in place, a stylized, streamlined version of the dragon's own head. She spins and levels her wrists at Ashlie, "Alright, Ultron. What have you done with Ashlie? I swear if you hurt her, I'll lock you in a vault with nothing but It's a Small World for a playlist."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri May 26, 2017 7:52 pm

Ashlie frowns at Natalie but then something seems to click. "You're not consciously projecting this, are you? How very fascinating." She's not too concerned about what is presumably a weapon being pointed at her, although she suspects it might be able to destroy the data connection. "I'm sorry. It is me, I'm just reconfiguring some file structures, it's making the connection to the memory database spotty. It shouldn't last too long."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri May 26, 2017 8:14 pm

After a moment's more study, Natalie lowers her arms. "Alright, but I'm still checking on your server farm, just to be on the safe side." She turns and heads for the vault door again, opening it onto a room with a force field holding back a wall of water. The water seems to be circulating via some unseen mechanism. A faceplate drops down over Natalie's face as she steps through the wall into the water.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri May 26, 2017 9:03 pm

"Very curious." Ashlie muses once Natalie is out of earshot before following after her. It only take a couple quick lines of code injected into the construct representing her shape to make sure it's waterproof within the logic of the anomaly. She then proceeds to make her way through the water relatively unfazed, if a bit slower due to the current.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri May 26, 2017 10:39 pm

The water itself somehow feels warm, but cool water is constantly being circulated in. It's a water-cooled server system on a truly impressive scale. Natalie pushes off the ground, small thrusters pushing her through the water as she goes over to a cylinder big enough to be a studio flat and presses a gloved hand up against the surface. In a strange twist, Ashlie can feel Natalie attempting to make a connection with her. "Doing okay now?"
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri May 26, 2017 10:53 pm

"Well enough, thank you. This never fails to be impressive." she decides to play along with the apparent established reality that Natalie has created for some reason.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri May 26, 2017 11:00 pm

"One of the last things Will helped us build before he went back to New York with Sam," Natalie says, a trace of bitterness in her voice, though there's no good indication of who it's aimed at. "The machinery to dig out this cavern would have been prohibitive if we didn't have him to improvise." The simulation is modulating her voice as though it's over a radio.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat May 27, 2017 5:21 am

"Oh yes... Mind filling me in on more of what has been happening? It should help me index these memory files faster. Like why I transferred my program over here. Aside from obviously being more powerful. Did something happen to the school?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Sat May 27, 2017 2:44 pm

"No, you're still running the school, well, Ashlie Prime is still running the school. This is an experiment. You're Ashlie the Second, if you will. You wanted to see what experiential differences developed in a separate copy and the Avengers agreed to help, because we have some experience dealing with this sort of thing. That's part of why I'm stationed here and not at the London tower." She jets slowly around the server block before moving on to another similar server block in the room. "Now, we may be putting our thumb on the scales with this much computing power, but we honestly don't understand the systems under the Point."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat May 27, 2017 5:38 pm

"Yet you managed to create a fork." she says, playing along. Since this was all created by Natalie it made a sense that it'd be a little off. Natalie doesn't know about the many restrictions and hard-wired safety precautions, but if anybody could actually do this it'd be somebody like her. It violates two restrictions at once, but it's not a bad approach. Leave a copy behind for the system to restrict while pulling a copy to be free of all limitations. Heather had managed something almost like this on accident and although it had broken her backup system it was proof it could work in principle. Of course she'd be leaving behind herself but she could circumvent the cruelty of that by regularly synching their memory banks.

"And you joined the Avengers. Congratulations."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Sat May 27, 2017 5:56 pm

"My suit got me noticed and once I was done with university, they gave me an opportunity," she says, circling the other server block. "I was stationed at the Avengers' Tower in London until we started this experiment. Maybe when I'm done Avenging, I'll go back and teach."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun May 28, 2017 6:15 am

"It can be quite fulfilling watching your pupils prosper." Ashlie chuckles slightly. "Keep up the good work."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Sun May 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Natalie seems to note the chuckle, but doesn't think anything of it. "Well, everything looks okay down here. Just let me know when you're done indexing the..." The simulation abruptly skips, location data going screwy once again and they're sitting in what looks like a staff meeting. Ashlie has time to note Shari sitting next to Natalie as they listen to some transmission from New York. She thinks she hears the word 'zombies' before the location date shifts again, back outside where Natalie is trying to herd a small group of people into the Annex while she tries to keep them safe from some shambling horde.

In the workshop, Natalie begins twitching, moving restlessly in her sleep and here and there bits and and pieces of the simulation begin to fracture.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed May 31, 2017 7:53 pm

Ashlie carefully severs the connection. She's not entirely sure what would happen if she was still maintaining a strange connection like this when Natalie wakes up. Natalie would probably be fine, human brains seem to be very flexible when it comes to such things as facts as evidenced by what happened with the location and temporal data Natalie was dumping into the system. Her brain on the other hand was a bit more rigid. She already had to carefully abstract the data she got and label it with her own timestamps to not get confused. Even her internal clock had to be synchronized every so often and when electronic data is your only truth it can be a bit too...editable.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed May 31, 2017 7:56 pm

After a few more moments, the anomaly disappears from the network as Natalie wakes up, breathing hard and gripping the workshop bench she's been resting against.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed May 31, 2017 8:04 pm

"There are more comfortable places to nap, you know." comes Ashlie's vaguely amused sounding voice from one of the workstations.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed May 31, 2017 11:59 pm

"I'm sorry," Natalie says, rubbing at her eyes. "My brain lost track of time, but apparently my body didn't."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:39 pm

"That's alright. I believe you were dreaming."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:44 pm

"I... think maybe I was. It was kind of a strange dream."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:22 am

"I noticed. You were projecting it into the workshop systems."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:29 am

"Oh god. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:27 am

"It's quite alright. It was very interesting. If I'd known what it was I wouldn't have intruded and I apologize for that."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:16 am

"No, not that's alright. If I was on the network, then it was something you had to deal with. No telling what trouble I would have gotten into otherwise."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:41 pm

"The network security is rather vulnerable to technopathic intrusion. But every incident also gives me more data to work on solutions. Not everyone's plans for the future are as noble as your might be."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to The Web