Ye Olde Cab Faire

Up until recently maintained as a museum, the childhood home of the Braddock family has been pressed into service as classroom space for the University. Additionally, the increased demands have led to the main ballroom being converted into a cafeteria for University students on a meal plan. The old library has been bolstered with college textbooks.

Ye Olde Cab Faire

Postby Katarina Karkov » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:07 pm

An Uber pulled up to the gates of Xaviers University on New Year's Day, and out came royalty.

Well, to be more accurate, out came a red-headed girl, trying (and failing) to drag a suitcase out of the backseat of a car, but you know. Regally.

She harumphed for a moment as the driver got out to help. "It just...seems to be stuck, is all. Do be careful," she said, with a slight Slavic accent.

((open))
Katarina Karkov
Student

High Concept: Golden Girl
Aspect: Sheltered Upbringing
Aspect: Diplomatic Immunity
Aspect: Obliviously Privileged
Aspect: Real-Life Roleplayer
Aspect: Heart of...Well, You Get It

Re: Ye Olde Cab Faire

Postby Nika Novak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:41 pm

Not even an hour on British soil and she'd already messed up. In the time it had taken her to locate their pre-arranged transport, Katarina had somehow managed to find a ride and slipped away. Nika could only hope she was actually on her way to Maldon, because as it turns out cabs parked at the airport do not, in fact, take off in a wild chase when someone jumps in the back and shouts at them to follow that Uber. Instead they yell colorful insults at you in a thick accent.

So instead she had to drive by herself in a rented (and properly vetted) armored car. Civilian of course and one might question the usefulness of bulletproof windshields when the person to be protected could turn bulletproof herself, but this was a matter of principle! Besides, it would buy precious reaction time if something were to happen. But now the large black van was reduced to chasing after Katarina as Nika awkwardly navigates it through left-side traffic and out of the city with an hour-long ride ahead of her to steam over this and make numerous unanswered phone-calls to Katarina's phone...

((still open))
Nika Novak

High Concept: Committed Bodyguard
Aspect: Secret Romantic
Aspect: Symkarian Pride
Aspect: Rigid Rules

Postby Katarina Karkov » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:54 pm

Katarina managed to get the suitcase out and started marching up the long walk to the campus proper.

She paused for a moment at the gates out of habit, checking each side of the entryway for people lying in wait, but eventually was satisfied that no one was gong to immediately jump her, and strode forward with purpose and passion.

A new place! Finally, away from intrigue and...and etiquette lessons and diplomacy. Where they serve hot dogs and go shopping and don't have twelve people looking over your shoulder everywhere you go. Yes, this was going to be Katarina Karkov's year, she knew it.
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Nika Novak » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:08 pm

It's only a couple minutes after Katarina arrives that a black SUV comes to a screeching stop at the gates. Nika jumps out and makes it a couple steps towards the gate before she spins around, stomps back to the car and pulls a large olive-green duffel bag out of the back-seat. Shouldering it she jogs through the gates, eyes scanning the area until she spots Katarina in the distance across the driveway. Shifting the weight of the bag on her shoulder she hurries her steps as she tries to catch up to her. She's a little out of breath, less from exhaustion and more from being the exasperation of having to chase after her to begin with.

"Your Highness..." she starts, stopping a couple feet away from Katarina and letting her duffel bag slide off her shoulder and thud to the ground as an excuse to take a steadying breath. "You really shouldn't... forge ahead like this." she says diplomatically. It's not really her place to question Katarina, but also this was really reckless and stupid in her opinion, so she tries to couch her complaint as much as possible.
Nika Novak

Postby Katarina Karkov » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:14 pm

Katarina rolled her eyes, but obediently waited for Nika to catch up.

"How many times have we been over this? We've vetted this campus extensively. You've done it yourself! You've spoken to the headmistress something on the order of 50 times to make sure 'everything is taken care of'. It is a college campus, not a war zone. You can relax just a tiny bit of a bit."
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:23 pm

Aiden was crossing the campus towards the gate watching the evolving situation out front with some interest. The campus had been so quiet during the break, and even excursions to the city had left him feeling somewhat.... bored. Perhaps somewhere in a more self-aware part of his mind there was also an inkling of loneliness, but he certainly wasn't about to admit that to himself. He changed his path to walk towards the new arrivals. Aiden wore long wool coat complete with a Genoshan military crest on the right collar and his family's crest on the left.
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Nika Novak » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:29 pm

"Yes, but it'd be simpler to put my mind at ease if Your Highness wouldn't decide to catch a ride in a stranger's car." she grouches just a little bit. Her main concern is, of course, Katarina's safety, but she also wants to do a good job, which is really hard when Katarina seems like she actively doesn't want her to. When she notices somebody else approaching she suddenly becomes very aware of herself and she stands up a little straighter, smoothing out her coat and adjusting her hat a little.
Nika Novak

Postby Katarina Karkov » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:47 pm

"It's a car service, Nika, people pay to ride with them without subjecting them to a 15-point background check," Katarina said with a huff. "Just...remember that this is a school for normal people, where people live normal lives."

She caught sight of Aiden walking by. "<Nika, did you call ahead? Was this your idea?"> she asked in Symkarian.
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Nika Novak » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:57 pm

'Sounds more like an excellent way to tell a kidnapper where exactly to pick you up.' she thinks to herself.

"<I would never be that petty, Your Highness. And if I was I would have informed you about it.>"
Nika Novak

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:14 pm

Aiden spoke several languages, but Symkarian was not one of them, so he couldn't understand what was being said by the two new arrivals. He also didn't recognize the insignias on Nika's uniform, which to him meant the two were important though it was unclear how or why.

"Returning or new students?" Aiden asked politely as he came closer to the two.
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Katarina Karkov » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:30 pm

"We are just arriving for the first time, m'lord. I am enrolling for the Winter session," she said, formally, with a half head-nod bow.
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:41 pm

Few people at Xaviers (or Maldon or London, really) were quite so formal so there was a momentary pause before years of etiquette training kicked in.

"Welcome to Xaviers, m'ladies," Aiden said returning Katarina's gesture with a slight bow. "Praetor Mitchell of Genosha at your service should you require it."
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Katarina Karkov » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:51 pm

"I thank you, Praetor; and Symkaria smiles upon your offer," she said, repeating rote statements for the nth time.

"What brings you here, so far from home?"
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Nika Novak » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:02 pm

This is a more comfortable situation for Nika. Even if it mostly means politely standing in the background. Aiden seems like he might be royalty as well, but she's not entirely sure, especially when he introduces himself as a Praetor.

"Nika Novak." she starts, about to add 'Symkarian Royal Guard' but she has enough social awareness to notice that Katarina explicitly did not introduce herself and giving Aiden her rank would almost certainly betray Katarina's stature. As proud as she is about her accomplishments, she's not about to sabotage Katarina just to stroke her self-esteem.
Nika Novak

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:18 pm

Aiden noted Nika's lack of title, but noded in her direction after her introduction. He then bowed more deeply towards Katarina to acknowledge her appreciation of the offer his offer. The formality was stifling, the military had required significantly less bowing and strained language.

"I am a student here. That and the chance to Appreciate time to explore places beyond Genosha and the battlefield.... m'lady " Aiden said nearly forgetting the honorific. "Would you do me the favor of giving me your name, m'lady?"
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Katarina Karkov » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:32 pm

"My name?" Katarina said, blinking. She...wasn't recognized. That was...not a thing that happened. Like, ever.

"Yes, right, my name, of course, how rude of me. My name. The name that I have. The one that is mine. The name, that is. My name.

I'm Prin...Katarina. Katarina Karkov. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

The break in the "this is how conversations go" formula had snapped her out of the practiced formality, and she swam around trying to find it again.
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:43 pm

Aiden arced an eyebrow at Katarina... losing her way conversationally. He also noted the lack of title, but had a feeling that Katarina was perhaps not being entirely honest. However, he saw the moment as a way to escape the endless formality and decided to take it.

"The pleasure is mine of course, Katarina," Aiden said with a slight smile. "My name is Aiden if you'd prefer an alternative to Praetor. Did you perhaps need help with your bags?"
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Katarina Karkov » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:17 pm

"Oh, I'm sure Nika can manage, though if you'd like to show us where we should go to get started -- or to help us find our way around campus -- that would be, by us, very much appreciated," she laughed, nervously.
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Nika Novak » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:23 pm

"Aiden does seem more trustworthy than a stranger with a car." Nika says, somehow managing to still sound polite as she shoulders her own bag again and reaches for Katarina's suitcase.
Nika Novak

Postby Katarina Karkov » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:37 pm

"You'll forgive her. The concept of exchanging money for services seems to be new to her. That bit of knowledge might come in usefulness soon," she said, casting a side-eyed glance at Nika.
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:46 pm

The slight rankled Aiden somewhat, but he managed to keep the anger off his face by hiding it behind a smile.

"It's good to have a suspicious bodyguard, so there's nothing to be forgiven," Aiden said beginning to lead the way towards an administrative building, "The nobility of Symarkia doesn't exchange money for services rendered?"
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Katarina Karkov » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:52 pm

"Of course we do!," she said, putting one hand to her chest. "Naturally. We are a very modern country.

It was a...a joke. She did not appreciate my choice of transportation to arrive. Were it up to her, I'm sure we would have arrived by horse-drawn chariot. Or in a tank.

...A horse-drawn tank."
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Nika Novak » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:04 am

"I arranged for a perfectly safe and discreetcar. Her Royal Highness opted to instead call an Uber." As snarky as she's being, she does manage to make Katarina's title still sound respectful. It is after all her prerogative to choose her mode of transport. Unfortunately.

"Are these our accommodations?" she asks as they approach the building.
Nika Novak

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:38 am

Aiden noted the title though was uncertain whether it was correct or not given the snarkiness.

"Wil the school be expecting a delivery of bullet proof glass then?" Aiden asked with a smile. "And yes these are the dorms. Unless you don't know your room assignment in which case we need to stop at a different building."
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Katarina Karkov » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:02 am

"And is this where everyone can be found? It is the...party area?" she asked, the unfamiliar words not quite fitting her.
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Nika Novak » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:08 am

"I have our room numbers. And I have no reason to question the head-mistress' reassurance that the campus is safe. Everyone here is a mutant, right?"
Nika Novak

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:34 am

"There's a bar on campus in what's called the XUB," Aiden said, "That's the closest thing to a party area unless you want to head into Maldon or take a longer trip to London."

Aiden then looked at Nika as he opened the door to the dorms.

"The campus is safe other than the occasional power incident and the only non-mutant is somebody who claims to be a wizard or sorcerer or something of the sort."
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Katarina Karkov » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:46 am

"Is he?" Katarina asked, fascinated.
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:01 pm

"Possibly," Aiden shrugged. "I've seen him carving odd symbols into trees..."

Aiden paused for a moment.

"Then again he might just be another mutant denying their gift."
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Nika Novak » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:21 pm

"I hope so. Some things should not be dabbled with."
Nika Novak

Postby Katarina Karkov » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:25 pm

"And what is your... 'gift'?"
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:36 pm

"I think you'd agree all tools have their uses," Aiden said to Nika before looking at Katarina. "I augment my physical capabilities. Making myself faster, stronger, and near invulnerable for a period of time. What are yours?"
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Nika Novak » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:24 pm

Nika makes a vaguely disagreeing noise but doesn't go into it further.

"I turn things into projectiles." she says, setting down the bag and suitcase to lean down and pick up a small piece of gravel. She balances it on the tip of her finger and the next moment it shoots off into the sky at an angle. Instead of arcing eventually as one might expect it just keeps going straight until it disappears from sight.
Nika Novak

Postby Katarina Karkov » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:47 pm

"It will come back down, eventually," Katarina laughed. "You should see what she does to people who get in her way."

"Mine is a little more...flashy, I suppose, though not as immediately useful," she said.

She closed her eyes and focused. A sheen of gold quickly spread over her, heading outwards from her core and reaching the top of her head and her fingertips last.
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:07 am

"A part of me is quite curious to see her abilities applied, perhaps in this danger room I've heard so much about," Aiden smiled. "That is quite fetching. Is at as durable as it appears?"
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Nika Novak » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:37 am

For a moment Nika looks actually please at the topic of conversation, but it doesn't last very long and her expression immediately hardens again.

"That's really none of your or anybody's business." she says, taking a half-step to position herself just a bit between Aiden and Katarina before asking, "I sincerely hope you don't have any ill intentions towards Her Royal Highness."
Nika Novak

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:00 am

"Does an invitation for drinks later count as ill intentions?" Aiden asked nonplussed. "I'm here on a diplomatic mission from Genosha not a military one."
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Nika Novak » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:05 am

"That... is up to her." Nika concedes begrudgingly. "But for the future please don't ask about the durability of the Crown-Princess."
Nika Novak

Postby Katarina Karkov » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:32 am

Katarina rolled her eyes at Nika. "It's a friendly question, Nika. You do not have to be so tense.

I think she worries that I'm durable enough to get myself into trouble," she explained. "Which means yes, of course I'd love to have some drinks."
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Nika Novak » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:45 am

"You've yet to prove me wrong on that, your Highness." the polite, neutral expression never leaving her face despite the obvious tone of jest in her voice.
Nika Novak

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to Braddock Manor