The Joy of Cooking

Up until recently maintained as a museum, the childhood home of the Braddock family has been pressed into service as classroom space for the University. Additionally, the increased demands have led to the main ballroom being converted into a cafeteria for University students on a meal plan. The old library has been bolstered with college textbooks.

The Joy of Cooking

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:19 am

There was a small overflow workroom just off the cafeteria which served two purposes.

The first was for large group gatherings outside of the norm: Extra sets of hands (namely the culinary students) would use it to help out anytime extra students or visitors were about that needed to be fed.

The second was that the culinary students could use it for practice and have access to all the things the cafeteria workers did without having to buy two sets of equipment, have food waste taken from two different sites on the premises, etc etc.

The culinary students had constant access to this room which had basic kitchen functions, though some things they would have to bring themselves such as handmixers.

It was however, more than enough to teach royalty to cook.

Basil helped Colette haul in anything she needed brought along, invisibly of course.
Basil Benson
Student

High Concept: Unwitting Heir to a Secret Legacy
Aspect: More Money Than Sense
Aspect: Ward of Unwanted Protectors
Aspect: Inconsistently Invisible
Aspect: Weirdness Magnet
Aspect: Covert Pervert

Re: The Joy of Cooking

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:25 am

Between what was normally kept in the cafeteria and the class, and the few ingredients Colette had asked Basil to bring, the young woman thought that she had enough for a first lesson at the very least. Baby steps. At that late in the evening the likelihood of someone walking in on them was relatively minor, less so than if they had decided to meet in the middle of the night as often students would sneak down for a snack in the pitch black

"Will you be staying during ze lesson, Basil?" The young woman asked as she began setting out upon one of the work surfaces the bowls and utensils she thought prudent.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

High Concept: Dreamer Despite the Odds
Aspect: Density Is Not a Formality
Aspect: Everything is Sexier In France
Aspect: Beware the Cute Ones
Aspect: Hair of Goo, Heart of Gold

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:07 am

"Yes. I thought it might be less awkward for her if she wasn't the only one who didn't know what the hell she was doing."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Katarina Karkov » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:57 am

Katarina poked her head in. "Hello?"
Katarina Karkov
Student

High Concept: Golden Girl
Aspect: Sheltered Upbringing
Aspect: Diplomatic Immunity
Aspect: Obliviously Privileged
Aspect: Real-Life Roleplayer
Aspect: Heart of...Well, You Get It

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:33 am

"Excellent. Do not worry Basil, cooking is easy! We will start wiz ze basics."

Katarina would catch Colette giving her student a little peck on the cheek before this bubbly pink mass raised a hand and waved to the newcomer. "Oh, good, ze class is all present!" With her colourful apron and lavalamp-like hair the girl was almost too much to take in at once. They let HER around food?

"Good evening Mademoiselle Karkov, I hope zat you will enjoy our time togezer. Do you have any questions before we begin our lesson?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Katarina Karkov » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:05 am

Katarina blinked, once, twice, three times.

"Are...you the dessert?" she blurted out.
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:24 pm

"Only for me." Basil countered with a quip, trying to sway Colette's potential embarrassment from upsetting to flattering.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:46 pm

Colette tittered at the conversation, covered her mouth with a vinyl-gloved hand. Frankly, being compared to a dessert was a compliment, considered the other things she could be compared to.

"Oh, you two!" She grinned, before making eyes at Basil. The good kind, trust her.

"I am not actually grading eizer of you, so it will do neizer of you any good to flirt wiz ze instructor." Well that wasn't entirely true.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:50 pm

Colette's comment elicited a reaction.

To Katarina's eyes it seemed as if the empty set of clothes magically filled themselves in between her blinks, and a very handsome young man was standing there instead of the strangest of mannequins. He was making a particularly spoony face at Colette, heavily lidded blue eyes partially obscured by an asymmetrical curtain of dark curls down the other side of his face.

He ran his fingers through his hair to push it out of his eyes, clearing his throat and ending his flirtatious behavior.

"I thought perhaps it might be more comfortable for you to learn with someone else, like a usual class.

But if it's awkward I have no problem leaving. Madame will have plenty of opportunity to teach me new things."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Katarina Karkov » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:38 am

Katarina jumped again at Basil's revelation, and then took a deep breath, trying to calm herself.

"No, I...

No! No, I didn't mean...

...It's all good. Everything is OK. Everything is fine, I am sure. We can...please help me learn."
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:53 am

Colette whispered something softly to Basil in French; if Katarina understood the language she might have picked up something about him following her instructions and a reward, but it was hard to make out. She gave the girl a reassuring smile, or attempted one at least; pink-toothed smiles took some getting used to.

"Well, if you are eager to learn, zen we should get started. Before we begin, I would like to gauge your cooking experience and aptitude." She gestured toward the work station that had various simple ingredients like a carton of eggs, some butter, and milk. There were also some tools; some bowls, whisks, spatulas, etc. "I would like for each of you to make for me some scrambled eggs."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:45 pm

"Oookaaaay." Basil replied. He stared at the objects in front of him for a moment, then got to work.

He knew what the various tools were used for but that was about it. He'd crack two eggs on the side of the bowl, not noticing the shell bits he'd left inside. He'd pour far too much milk in and dropped the butter directly into the mixture instead of using it on the pan to grease it.

As such his end result was a hot mess of eggs that were both burned and mushy at the same time, which he hadn't bothered to plate because it hadn't occurred to him.

He pointedly did not look at Katarina as to not make her nervous.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Katarina Karkov » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:52 am

Katarina's experience was equally...let's say "successful", though in an entirely different way.

The first task was opening the carton of eggs, which proved to be quite the challenge. Her first attempt involved trying to remove the eggs though the holes at the top of the carton; something which was notably less than successful. Eggs came to you pre-cooked on platters, not in boxes!

Having finally figured that out, she cracked the eggs into the bowl, knowing enough to keep the eggshells out. And then she cracked some more eggs. And some more. And then she added two sticks of butter and a sizeable splash of the milk, in completely the wrong proportions.

Rather than mix with the whisk, she simply took a spatula and tried mashing everything together, frowning as the ingredients failed to form any sort of cohesive whole. Why weren't they looking scrambled? They still seemed like individual things no matter how much she tried to smash them together.

Noticing Basil had applied heat to his eggs, Katarina carefully tried to move everything to a frying pan, but as she had mixed way too much together, this proved difficult, with Katarina just barely managing to go gold before she slopped some of the eggy mixture onto herself. Huffing, she turned the hat up as high as it could go, and stood there, staring at the pan.

This was not going well.
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:06 am

Colette tried her best to keep a fairly neutral smile through all of it, but eventually she had to step in and stop Katarina before she caught something on fire. Not that Basil had done terribly better.

"Alright, well, zis was... very informative. I see zat we will have to start from ze beginning." Colette found that she was more comfortable talking while she herself was cooking, and so she set to work. Setting aside the attempts of her "students" she began to heat some butter in a frying pan, cracking six eggs into a small pot and adding some butter.

"Some regard cooking as an art, zat ze ingredients are ze paints, ze plate your canvas, and your dish your masterpiece that took form zrough your emotion and imagination. Ozers regard it as a science, strictly following recipes. Ze truz is zat cooking is, like many zings, a combination of zese two. It is an art, as presentation had been shown time and again to make food taste better. It is chemistry, as all food is chemicals, and ze science of how chemicals change and interact when combined and heated." The entire time she spoke she was slowly stirring the eggs with a spatula in the pot over a burner, occasionally lifting the pot from the heat but constantly stirring.

"Traditional recipes are zose zat have been passed down from generation to generation, learned zrough repetition, changed by fortune, misfortune, and the introduction of new cultures. Zrough practice and trial and error, a mechanic learns zeir trade, and eventually is able to determine ze problem simply by listening. So is true of a cook and zeir sense of taste and smell." Some mini portobello mushrooms and tiny tomatoes still on the vine were placed in the frying pan and she went back to stirring her pot.

"I cannot teach eizer of you a complex recipe until we have first mastered ze basics, for ze same reason one cannot teach someone how to build a website if zey do not know how to use a computer, or how to build a home if zey do not know how to use a level. You must learn your tools and your ingredients, and how to use zem. <Basil, cut two slices of bread and place them in the toaster, medium setting.>" She spoke in French briefly, setting the pot aside while taking the time to cut up a little bit of chives. As the toast finished she mixed a tablespoon of creme fraiche into the eggs before setting each piece of toast onto a plate. The eggs were dished out evenly between the two, set atop the toast, where freshly cracked pepper and the chives were added. The tomatoes and mushrooms were plucked from the pan and set beside the eggs. Setting a fork on each plate she lifted them and offered them to the pair. The eggs were probably unlike any the two of them had seen before, not the chunky lumps one got at a restaurant but a yellow mass not unlike creamed corn.

"Zis may take more time zan eizer of you would wish. And if I may be honest, I am not very familiar wiz eizer traditional Symkarian or Jewish recipes. But if you two are willing to put in ze time and work to learn ze basics wiz me, zen I will do my best to teach you zese recipes. I do have ze benefit of having a couple of expert taste-testers, no?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Katarina Karkov » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Katarina looked on, her frown deepening as Colette's scrambled eggs came together. No one told her it would be this complex! This was a job for professionals, not some amateur, and that was just becoming more and more clear by the moment.

"And, uh, how long do you suppose it will take to learn the, 'basics'?"
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:25 am

Basil did exactly as he was told to do, and brought Colette the toast diligently. He seemed more than happy to, not unlike some of the help Katarina had encountered in the past.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:42 am

Colette gace Katarina a sympathetic smile. "Well, zat all depends on my students, does it not? But let is say for now zat... it will take more zan a week." Well that was technically true, just as it is technically true that a bucket is larger than a shot glass.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Katarina Karkov » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:55 am

Katarina sighed. "This is not going to work," she muttered to herself, sinking down into her chair. "I had no idea this was so complicated."
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:06 am

"You've a time limitation or just not that into cooking so much as eating?" He asked as he stabbed a few tomatoes onto a fork, clearly making obvious which he preferred himself.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:14 am

"Cooking can be simple, or complicated, depending on one's tastes and desires. One can make a grilled cheese sandwich with some white bread, some processed cheese slices, and some margarine." Of course Colette would never resort to something so simple... especially not margarine. That was banned.

"Yes Madame Karkov, tell me... why do you wish to learn to cook zese dishes?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Katarina Karkov » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:32 am

"There's, uh...

...I need to cook something for someone. I got myself in over my head, and told her I would cook something for her, and I haven't the faintest clue where to start."
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:14 am

"Have you considered... simply telling her ze truz?" Colette asked. "Or perhaps, being ze taste-tester to help your personal chef hone zeir skills to create a special meal for her?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:08 am

"Is the personal chef you?" Basil mused.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:05 am

Colette pouted her bottom lip in thought as she bobbed her head. "It is possible. I am certain zat my rates are very reasonable..." She broke out into a little grin. "If Madam Karkov would provide ze ingredients, I would enjoy ze practice. Being able to add Symkarian cuisine to my repertoire would be of benefit in the future, I am certain. And who better to give advice on what is 'off' but one who knows ze taste of zose dishes well?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Katarina Karkov » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:57 am

"I can't tell her the truth!," Katarina exclaimed. "That would raise too many other questions I can't answer! No, no, that wouldn't do at all. And she needs to think that I made it, like a normal person would have. Normal people don't have personal chefs!" she fretted.
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:36 am

Basil had thoughts about this idea, but he suppressed them.

As he did, he became empty clothes again.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:57 pm

"Madame Karkov, I zink you are overzinking zis. What kind of questions would admitting you do not know how to cook raise? I will let you in on a small secret." Colette leaned a little closer, as if she was going to whisper some top secret information.

"Perhaps maybe ten percent of ze people on zis campus are able to cook zemselves a meal zat does not come out of a freezer or a can. Zere are many persons in zeir forties and fifties who cannot even boil an egg. It is actually more normal to not be able to cook."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Katarina Karkov » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:39 am

Curse this web of lies! Now people knew that there were questions that Katarina wasn't eager to answer! She was going to have to get a book to write down who knew what and when and how.

"Well, I can't go back on it now. She's expecting me to cook, and I am in far too deep to back out at this point."
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:40 am

"Is this the sort of situation where you won't be asked to repeat a task if the outcome is favourable?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Katarina Karkov » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:24 pm

"I'm trying to quell one crisis at a time here."
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 pm

Basil continued anyways.

"I was thinking actually on how to make your lie more credible.

If Madame Rosenhof makes the food for you once, you can present it to the person in question. However, if you were learning in the meantime, if you're ever asked again to cook, you'll already have the means to make something for yourself.

Assuming all parties are willing."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Katarina Karkov » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:48 am

"Could we do that? Is there a way to...sneak the food in?"
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Colette shrugged. "Zat is alright wiz me, zough I prefer not to lie." She considered the sneaking part.

"Well, whom is it zat you are, ehm, 'cooking' for? Zere is a chance zat zey do not know me. If zat is ze case... or really even if it were not; if zey saw me wiz ze meal you could simply say zat you asked me to look after ze finishing touches while you attended to ozer matters.

"Unless of course you have a friend who can act as your go-between."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Katarina Karkov » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:04 pm

"It's Jez. Jezabelle Sherlock. I do not know if you know her, though she seems to get around quite a bit.

And I know someone who may serve as a go-between, if strictly necessary," she mused. "It is, of course, not as good as it appearing that I cook the food myself, but that seems to be impossible."
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:44 am

A strange thing happened then.

Basil appeared, but only to Colette.

To Katarina, he was just as invisible-in-body as usual.

He said nothing, but his brow was knitted and he tapped his finger absentmindedly to his collarbone.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:38 am

Colette of course had no idea that Basil was visible only to her, so her reaching out to so easily stroke a seemingly non-existent cheek was a little unnerving.

"I do not zink I have met zis Sherlock, perhaps I do not share classes wiz her. But she must be somezing special for you to go zrough so much trouble in order to impress her."

She removed the glove from one of her hands and placed it in Katarina's attempt, butter and egg and all that disappearing up her shirt sleeve. Waste-not want-not.

"Believe me Madame Karkov, were I able to teach you in a one week to cook just zese three dishes, I would devote ze entire one hundred and sixty-eight hours to doing so even if it meant going wizout food or sleep. While I prefer not to be dishonest, I zink zat zis is an acceptable compromise." She dipped into French there for a moment, for her remembering the names of numbers was a little trickier than words.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Katarina Karkov » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:43 am

Katarina blinked, both at Collette's weird mid-air hand gestures and her...unique method of disposing of the food.

"Y...She isn't, uh. That is to say..." she tried to interject.

"P..perhaps you know best."
Katarina Karkov
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:00 am

"Ms. Sherlock is definitely worth the effort, but I think she'd find it more admirable to know you tried and it didn't work out and that you just wanted to impress her and get her to like you, than to pretend you can do something you can't."

Basil replied in a very quiet voice.

He did not pull away from Colette, but to her would seem distracted by something.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:06 am

Colette nodded in agreement. Though she was a warrior for love, and if that meant having to lie a little, she would do it! Because love! She noticed Basil's change of mood.

"I would not ask you to assist in this, if it makes you uncomfortable."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:28 am

In motions unseen to Colette, Basil shook his head and waved it off.

"No, it's not that. We can discuss it later."
Basil Benson
Student

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to Braddock Manor