DTI2: Because when he sings, even the birds stop to listen.

Up until recently maintained as a museum, the childhood home of the Braddock family has been pressed into service as classroom space for the University. Additionally, the increased demands have led to the main ballroom being converted into a cafeteria for University students on a meal plan. The old library has been bolstered with college textbooks.

DTI2: Because when he sings, even the birds stop to listen.

Postby Basil Benson » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:27 am

Basil was not in the library on the evening of October the first, or the XUB. After his shift, he went to a class, came back to the library for studies, and once it closed ended up in the music room.

He made himself comfortable at the piano, and made himself familiar with it before settling in to play, a few errant notes here and there in test, to see if it'd been tuned recently. Not that he'd expect it wasn't around here.

music familiar to anyone who was evenly slightly up on their classic rock would start to flood out into the Manor.

Not really thinking that someone might hear him, Basil started singing along.

"Each morning I get up I die a little
Can barely stand on my feet
Take a look in the mirror and cry
Lord, what you're doing to me
I have spent all my years in believing you
But I just can't get no relief, Lord!
Somebody oooh somebody
Can anybody find me somebody to love?"

He was no Freddie, but who was? All things considered, the boy had soul in his singing voice, more than you'd expect from his usual speaking one. And he could hit the high notes, so that was something.
Last edited by Emilie on Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Basil Benson
Student

High Concept: Unwitting Heir to a Secret Legacy
Aspect: More Money Than Sense
Aspect: Ward of Unwanted Protectors
Aspect: Inconsistently Invisible
Aspect: Weirdness Magnet
Aspect: Covert Pervert

Re: DTI2: Because when he sings, even the birds stop to list

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:39 pm

Colette stood leaning in the doorway, waiting for the end of the song before applauding softly.

"You are simply full of surprises, monsieur Benson."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

High Concept: Dreamer Despite the Odds
Aspect: Density Is Not a Formality
Aspect: Everything is Sexier In France
Aspect: Beware the Cute Ones
Aspect: Hair of Goo, Heart of Gold

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:10 am

Basil sat upright abruptly, the piano seat clattering to the floor. He stood quietly for several moments wondering if maybe she would think he wasn't there.

After several seconds he realized this was not going to work, he spoke.

"I didn't tell you I was in theater?"
Last edited by Emilie on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:35 am

The ruckus caused Colette to jump. She certainly hadn't expected this sort of a reaction. She was quiet for several moments.

"... no. I do not believe ze topic came up. Even if it did, zat could mean almost anything, could it not?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:38 am

Basil cringed at her fright, though she'd have no way of knowing.

"I suppose so." Basil replied. " I take it you got my letter." He stated, still having not righted the stool. "I guess I should say I hope. If not I could dictate it." He offered, though whether or not she wanted to hear more french that made him sound like a primary school kid was pretty debatable in his mind.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:53 am

Colette straightened out her blouse a bit as she calmed down.

"Yes, I received your letter. I also spoke wiz Amy."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:00 am

Basil was silent for several moments, his lack of facial expression not giving a signal to Colette as to why.

"Did you really? And, pray tell, what did Ms.Myers have to say?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:07 am

"Several zings, but she vouched for your sincerity and zat is ze important portion. Anyzing else you will have to determine by speaking wiz her yourself."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:16 am

Basil let off a loud sigh. His contact suit appeared so Colette could get an idea of where he was, still standing in front of the keys at the piano. His suit twisted as he bent to right the piano bench, flipping it upside down to make sure he hadn't damaged it. He wasn't paying attention to her at the moment, at least, not visually.

"Ms. Myers and I will not be having any further conversations outside of a professional nature if I can avoid it, which I can. Better than most anyways...

I'm not the sort of person to impose, and Ms.Myers was quite firm that to her I don't matter."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:33 am

Colette shook her head slightly.

"Ze boz of you can be such opposites, yet so alike at ze same time."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:01 am

"Don't ever compare us again." Basil said firmly with absolutely no hint of his usual kindness. It was almost (le gasp) rude.

" Any similar qualities I may have to that girl is an accident of fate. I would never behave with anyone the way she behaved with me. My parents may not have raised me well, but a damn sight better than that, I should say."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:40 am

Colette almost look frightened again before crossing her arms.

"Oh yes, you are far more pleasant to be around right now zan her. How could I ever have been confused."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:47 am

"I'm sorry." Basil relented quickly, flipping the stool upright again and setting himself on it. His left leg folded to rest his ankle on his knee, and he leant his arms onto the oddly shaped lap his legs made.

" I know that people assume because I'm well off I was taught not to care about or even resent people who have less than I, as if they were less than I, but that isn't the case. And I certainly would never say the sorts of things she said to me to anyone. At least, not anyone I've known for less than a week. That's not how I am."

Basil paused as he did when he was thinking about whether or not he should keep speaking. " It's... upsetting to me that you'd think I was like that."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:23 am

"Well, Baseel, I have known you for only little more zan a week myself. Zere is much about you zat I do not know. Such as what you were trying to do zat day in ze... pub. Or why." Colette struggled to find the proper word, English had so many different words for what seemed like the same thing. She took a few steps forward before pulling up a chair, sitting down with her legs crossed like a proper lady should.

"Which is why I came to see you. I want to understand. Zen, I can forgive, and perhaps ask for your forgiveness in turn."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:27 am

Basil shook his head, though she could only tell that by the herky jerky motion made by the suit's mock neck, which was usually covered by a dress shirt.

" You have nothing to apologize for. It was my fault and i'm sorry l jeopardized everyone's well being.

As for why I did it... Well, do you remember when I said that I studied what girls like and don't like?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:59 am

Colette raised what, for her, was an eyebrow. Really it was just a ridge of pink goo in the shape on an eyebrow.

"Yes, I do recall zat."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:22 am

"It works both ways." He admitted. " I have become quite good at making a fool of myself in order to make other boys seem more appealing than I."

"My friend was down. I thought maybe a few drinks and a little conversation with a few nice, pretty girls would be just the thing to lift his spirit. Even if he wasn't into girls, at least he'd make some friends. He says he doesn't have any, and it seems to me he is longing for some because he hangs around me." Basil's wording implied anyone with friends wouldn't be chillin' with his invisible ass.

"Zayde used to say ' If you've money in your pocket, you are wise, handsome, and you sing well too' ." Basil stated, sounding amused, then continued." It means a rich man always seems more interesting by the virtue of having money, but that doesn't mean he actually is. He used it as a reminder to keep my ego in check.

There's a truth to that I think, and compared to a boy who has no money, no home, no identity, no family, and barely a name I am relatively confident a girl is more likely to find me appealing no matter how invisible I may be. The reason I think that is to a smart girl, on paper the first boy sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen. And I always give someone the benefit of the doubt they are atleast as smart as I am, until they prove me wrong."

Basil shrugged. " So I employed an old trick from secondary school to make myself seem annoying, thereby ensuring my mate gets the positive attention because he is seemingly kinder.

The end result I was expecting was not giving Amy an anerysm and myself a concussion. I was expecting the two of you to be annoyed with me, which I would make up for with the promise of drinks, and for Amy to hopefully take a shine to the ' normal' kid, as our previous conversation had hinted to me she isn't a fan of physical mutations.

Our second conversation more or less confirmed that for me."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:12 am

Colette listened to Basil's explanation, by the end of which she was rubbing her forehead.

"Baseel... did it ever occur to you to maybe simply talk to us? Maybe send a text to say 'hey, my friend is a little shy, but I zink you would like him'? Maybe working wiz us on zis? Because from how you describe it zis was all some sort of game. From how you describe it, you zink zat women are somewhat predictable and easily manipulated. Zat is a little insulting, to be perfectly honest. And if zat is what you told Amy zen I can see why tensions escalated as zey did. No woman likes to be manipulated or used as a tool, Basil, no matter how good-hearted your intentions were."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:23 am

Basil sat quietly, he expected to be admonished so he wasn't going to argue with Colette. Not too much anyways.

"It's not because you're female." He wanted to at least clear the record on that matter. " People are predictable, even myself. We like to think of ourselves as different from each other, but we're not really. We're all after the same things and the same goals, we just like to window dress them differently and act like we're unique because of it.

As far as Amy is concerned, I didn't see a need to explain my logic to her. To be honest she didn't seem overly comfortable in my presence the first time I met her, and I doubt scaring her out of her wits was going to make that better. Unfamiliar or wary people don't care why you messed up, just that you did it.

The situation with Amy escalated when I tried to make her feel better that she'd sort out her power issue. I told her in the kindest manner I could that the school wouldn't give her more practice if they thought her powers were completely uncontrollable. After all, they don't give students like myself practice.

Then she snapped back at me that the only reason they don't make me practice is because I can't be weaponized and therefore I don't matter to them."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:43 am

"You are making us sound like objects or animals Baseel, zat is kind of scary. Please do not over-simplify ozers, or yourself."

Colette rubbed her arms. "I zink zat Amy is scared. Of herself, of ozers, everyzing. You did not help, but you are not to blame eizer. She needs ozers to be patient and understanding.

I know someone else who needs ze same zings."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:49 am

Basil didn't argue with Colette. There was nothing to argue really, agree to disagree.

"Yes well, I tried that. I let her get off on her comment even though she herself admitted it was a 'shitty' thing to say. And I entrusted her with my note, which she had no idea was written in French and could have easily opened to snoop through it.

I even tried engaging her in the passing of sarcastic barbs, - which she started mind you- , a usual game between mates.

Then she called me..." Basil paused to try to remember the exact wording. " Ah,yes a 'stuck-up little wise guy with a pompous better than though attitude' and tried to blow me up again.

So at this point it seems I am incapable of doing anything else but upset her, and therefore should avoid her.

That is, unless I'd like to turn the goose egg on my head into a stylish set of bookends. Doesn't seem advisable really."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:24 am

"Sometimes when a girl is being snarky, it is best to simply apologize and bow out. Sarcastic comments may be a game between friends, but you two were not friends, so it may have come off wrong.

"But zis is somewhat beside ze point. I came here to hear your side of ze events, and to apologize for abandoning you when you were hurt."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:30 am

Basil shrugged. "You don't need to apologize. You're not my mum. I'm a big boy, I can take care of myself."

Even Basil couldn't help but laugh at that. "Wooooowwww. That's a load of bollocks isn't it? I couldn't 'adult' my way out of a bounce castle.

Still though, there's no reason for you to feel responsible."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:44 am

"Perhaps not, but it was not very compassionate of me eizer."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:49 am

Basil stretched his arms backwards and over his head, and when he was done making the appropriate grunts related, he leant back into the palms of his hand on the seat. His body language suggested he was starting to feel more comfortable with this situation.

"Not to fret. There's always the next time I do something ill advised and dangerous. This isn't the first time I've fallen unconscious, I doubt it will be the last.

That's assuming you feel like being around for the next time. If you don't, I understand."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:02 am

Colette appeared to mull it over for a moment.

"Mm, I might be around, I zink."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:05 am

"The French aren't the only ones who can play coy, Madame Rosenhof." Basil teased.

"Maybe I won't be around. Perhaps one day, I will just take off all my clothes and disappear into the ether, never to be heard from again.

Then what?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:44 am

"Zen, I believe as you British put it... you will freeze your bollocks off."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:47 am

"One must always look on the bright side.

With nothing to help my body churn out the majority of the testosterone that fuels my idiocy, my girl problems would dry up rather quickly." He joked. " I could take up a hobby. Building tiny ships inside of bottles perhaps?

Oh! I could walk the earth like a Kung Fu Master. A naked, genderless, invisble Kung Fu Master who doesn't know any Kung Fu."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:03 pm

"Orrr... you could not do zat, put zese games away in ze cupboard where zey belong, and just treat yourself and ozers like people. You owe it to yourself at ze very least."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:10 pm

Basil paused, realizing that Colette was still being quite serious about this.

"I'm more than willing to listen to the advice of others Madame Rosenhoff, but of the two offended, one of you tell me my problem is that I am a too serious pompous ass and the other tells me it's I'm too flippant heartless sociopath.

Can you see where maybe I'm having a problem knowing how to correct my behavior?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:23 pm

Colette pouted a bit and crossed her arms again. "I did not call you eizer of zose zings."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:34 pm

"No, you didn't." He relented again, continuing on in a softened tone. " To your credit you're not Amy Myers and you are not rude, which is why I haven't left yet.

My point is you are telling me one thing and she is telling me another and I can't be everything for everyone. I am only human. And I am doing my best with what I've been provided. Financially that may be a lot but in terms of being a mature adult I am making this up as I go along.

Considering I am a nineteen year old nouveau riche with employment who hasn't wrapped his car around a tree or something else ridiculous, I would argue I am doing at least a slightly better job at it than my peers."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:19 am

Colette struggled for some word of advice or support, but there wasn't a lot she'd left unsaid already.

"You have a car?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:26 am

"Yes." Basil replied, just glad the heat was finally off of him. " Do you like cars?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:30 am

"I do not dislike zem, but I do not zink I will ever own one. I am fine wiz ze metro, despite ze stares.

"Is it pretty?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:36 am

Basil laughed. " I suppose that depends on what you mean by pretty.

It's 2012 Volvo S60 T5, bronze coloured. It used to be my father's, but he got something a bit sexier recently which I chalk up to a midlife crisis.

Perhaps when I graduate he'll give me his new car, then I'll have something more dashing once he's grown tired of that." Basil took his phone out of his pocket and quickly googled the car he spoke of.

"Like this."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:52 am

Colette ooh'd softly. "Zat is a very pretty colour. And it has a razer nice shape for a sedan. Most cars look ze same to me, zey are boring today. I remember seeing pictures of cars wiz big fins and pastel colours when I was growing up and I do not understand why cars are no longer like zat. Aren't zey supposed to be fun?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:00 am

"Consumerism." Basil replied. "Back then, people cared about what they wore, how they decorated, and even what their car looked like. Nowadays, people don't much care about any of that. Especially not in countries like ours where public transportation is more prevalent.

But the tubes are terrible and never on time, so I don't rely on them to get where I'm going unless it's in London proper and I haven't much choice in the matter."

Basil then slid over to make Colette room on the piano bench.

"Join me. You can choose the music, so long as I know it."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:25 am

Colette side-stepped before the bench and sat down, carefully tucking her skirt in under her thighs all prim and proper.

"Do you know any Mélanie Laurent?" She inquired.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to Braddock Manor