Room 107: Memory is the diary we all carry about with us

Built on the Braddock Estate not far from the Manor, these were constructed for the university's benefit to help house the student population.

Re: Room 107: Memory is the diary we all carry about with us

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:54 am

Basil furrowed his brow stubbornly.

"That's different."
Basil Benson
Student

High Concept: Unwitting Heir to a Secret Legacy
Aspect: More Money Than Sense
Aspect: Ward of Unwanted Protectors
Aspect: Inconsistently Invisible
Aspect: Weirdness Magnet
Aspect: Covert Pervert

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:45 pm

Colette shifted to lay more beside Basil than on top of him.

"How so? In what way is me wishing to take care of you any different zan you taking care of me? Do you zink I am... incapable of doing it well?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

High Concept: Dreamer Despite the Odds
Aspect: Density Is Not a Formality
Aspect: Everything is Sexier In France
Aspect: Beware the Cute Ones
Aspect: Hair of Goo, Heart of Gold

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:33 am

"No! Of course not!"

Basil frowned in concern, shuffling about a bit to sit up, wincing when he regrets using his hands to do it. Once he is upright his eyes fall on her again.

"Listen Colette...

Men in my family were raised to be men, not boys. We don't expect women to take care of us like we're children. In fact, it's something of a mark of shame to not be able to take care of yourself. All four of my uncles and my mother were raised to be self sufficient, including cooking and cleaning, which admittedly my mother was shit at.

But the point is my job is to take care of myself and potentially you if you need it, so you don't have to spend your resources on anything but your higher purpose."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:00 am

Colette listened and nodded softly, waiting for Basil to finish.

"Zat... is such a load of shit."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:09 am

Basil fought off a scowl, arching a perfect brow at her.

"Would you care to elaborate on your insult to my family or are we just going with 'shit'?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:19 am

"Ze idea zat not allowing ozers to help you makes you less of a burden on ozers is just ridiculous. How am I supposed to be able to concentrate on my classes when I know zat you cannot properly take care of yourself? Can you even open ze pill bottle yourself? You would razer do wizout it and endure ze pain and prolong your recovery zan man up and admit zat you could use some help?" Colette rolled off of the bed and stood up, brushing off her skirt.

"Because I know you Basil, I am going to assume zat you do not realize zat your attitude is bordering on misogynistic." Well that was a word the young man probably would never have used to describe himself, which probably hit all the harder. "Because you are a man, you are able to do your work and look after me, but as a woman I am incapable of doing ze same? I am only capable of doing one zing at a time, ozerwise boz tasks suffer? Zat may not be what you intend wiz your talk of a higher purpose, but zat is what you are implying all ze same.

"Real men are not afraid to ask for help, Basil."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:35 am

"What?! No!"

Actual anger was seeping into his voice now.

"My grandmother left her country and moved here because she was sick of being told she needed to shut up and that she needed to be in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant due to her gender. She was going to make damn sure none of her boys acted like that.

She left the specifics of raising me to my mother but the core value remains in the family: Men need to take care of themselves because it's not a woman's job to do it, it's their own. Women have more important shit to do than cater to grown ass men as if they were children simply because they have a Y chromosome!"

He took a moment to breathe, so he didn't raise his voice all the way up to yelling.

"It has nothing to do with your capability to handle it. I'm sure you're more than capable of handling both and more still. You're probably more capable than I am because most women are more capable than men.

It has everything to do with the fact you shouldn't have to because you're not responsible for a man-baby's own incompetency.

And if thinking women shouldn't have to clean up the mistakes of immature idiots or make up for their inadequacies is misogynistic then I guess you're just going to have to think that of me."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:11 am

"Basil, what in ze hells are you on about?

"Because your grandmozer was expected to look after men, zat means zat it is demeaning to my character to assist you, and zat you are not permitted to be assisted? Yes I agree zat it is important zat a man knows how to take care of himself and not expect a woman to tend to his every need but what you are suggesting goes against ze very principles of family. Friendship. Community! Zis whole school was founded on ze idea not only of giving ze students a safe haven but for us to all come togezer and assist each ozer.

"I do not know why you keep referring to yourself as incompetent or as a child. I was squished by a boulder. Had I any ozer mutation zan zis, I would be dead. Should I be sitting here berating myself of how stupid or clumsy I am as well? Ze only zing I did to contribute was some piece of ze... program's writing, zat it would make sense for an alien to be able to build a raygun from wacky devices. So really, I did nozing, and I should be dead.

"So you will excuse me if I will not feel sorry for myself for how I reacted in a high-stress situation zat neizer of us had properly trained for, and you will excuse me for not accepting zat YOU have some warped moral code zat does not allow you to accept help from someone who loves you because you feel zat you are some kind of burden to zem."

Colette huffed softly and stared at Basil for a moment.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:34 am

Basil didn't respond. He sat quietly, though not in resignation. His brow was still furrowed defiantly, which meant he was definitely thinking something but whatever it was he wasn't sharing.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:28 am

Colette pretended as though she didn't notice, leaning closer to Basil with her arm outstretched.

"Now, open your mouz."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:35 am

It took him a moment to realize she meant for him to open up for medication. He did as he was told, sticking his tongue out for medicine.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:39 am

Colette put the pills on Basil's tongue and then got his glass of water from the bedside table, holding it out for him to drink from once he'd swallowed.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:44 am

Basil took the drink he 2as being offered without argument, and stared hard at the gelatinous woman, before settling back down and turning his back on her.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:18 am

If Basil was expecting his glare to intimidate or upset Colette her expression would have left him wanting, the woman staring at him much the same way as the nurse that had been treating him. She placed the glass of water by his bedside table and left his bedside, settling in the chair on his side of the room and digging through her bag for her tablet. With her feet up on the foot of his bed she reclined in the chair, reading some text for class or something.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:40 am

Basil then proceeded to use the only trick he was 100% certain he knew how to implement. Throwing his own covers over his head to seemingly pout about things, he simultaneously scrapped the painkiller out from under his tongue onto the bed, and shoved it under the pillow.

From her angle it simply looked like he was adjusting his pillow gloomily as he slipped the painkiller under it.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:41 am

Colette was of course totally oblivious. And as she was focusing on her course work she didn't notice that anything was amiss.

But the funny thing about painkillers is that if you don't take them, they don't numb the pain.

So if Basil was willing to suffer for the sake of some twisted form of chivalry, then she truly was a modern-day Dulcinea del Toboso, and just as unknowing of it all as she was.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:15 pm

If Basil were pitched the analogy, he would claim to definitely be feeling the 'unrequited love' associated to the Dulcinea/Quixote dynamic. He could probably go into many a poem or song that closely mimicked his feelings on the subject.

But since no one was actually asking him on that one, said feelings only served to keep his pout game strong. Colette didn't know it yet because he'd never amped up the signal on this particular behavior so hard in her presence, but he was reminding himself mentally that he could do this for days if he had to.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue May 01, 2018 1:30 am

After a few hours Colette shifted in her chair for the last time, slipping out of it. She glanced at Basil to check on him and, thinking he was sleeping, decided this was a good opportunity to slip away and get something to eat in the cafeteria. She very quietly moved past his bed, letting herself out and closing the door behind her.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue May 01, 2018 1:35 am

Basil gave Colette a good lead, then climbed out of bed to go check on Haley since she hadn't been having a good day.

His phone was left behind on the desk, locked.
Basil Benson
Student

Previous

Topic attributes:

Return to Xavier's University Dorms