[Plot] Community Development

Previously the lodgings of the late Lady Braddock, the Dower House fell into disuse for a number of years, particularly after Braddock Manor passed to Brian himself. Since the arrival of the University, it has been renovated into an administrative building as well as faculty and staff housing on the second floor.

[Plot] Community Development

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:32 pm

Ashlie is pacing through her apartment that is a lot less neat than it used to be. There are dishes drying in a rack, papers scattered on the coffee table and a basket of folded clothes. Granted, it's far from messy, but compared to the almost sterile look it had before it now looks like somebody actually lives here. Someone who is on the phone as she's arranging things on her tablet.

"Yes, local contractors are more than a little overwhelmed with the damages. Not to mention a lot could probably be salvaged with the right powers."

"You're right, the other reasoning is that this is an excellent opportunity to foster cooperation with the wider mutant community."

"Some of it is coming out of the University's funding, but a lot is coming from my personal funds."

"I see it more as an investment. I want to create a sustainable situation and I don't want anybody to feel like they have to buy in, be it with money or labor."

"Oh I'm not turning down volunteers but I'm aware we have a bit of an ivory tower reputation and I want there to be no mistake that we're offering opportunities, not exploitation."

"We have a small vehicle fleet. Only a couple of vans but it should be enough to shuttle between Lambeht and Maldon. I'm looking into alternate solutions for long-term projects."

"Oh no, please, I'm glad you asked." she laughs politely. "I would like to establish a trade-school program and a community garden for starters. We have resources here that could go a long way towards making Lambeth more self-sustaining."

"Aside from a list of interested people? A central location for a community center to help coordinate things. 2000 square feet or so would be sufficient and the same offer as for repairing the flood damage is on the table, of course."

"Fantastic, yes. I will email you the details and contracts so you can look them over. Have a splendid rest of your day." she says before hanging up and actually clenches one fist in celebration to her own surprise.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Re: Community Development

Postby Will Stanton » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:44 pm

Will, wearing a sweater and with a bluetooth earpiece jammed in one ear, stepped in from the front, more officey-part of Ashlie's apartment. "I take it that's a success then, headmistress?"
Will Stanton
Student

High Concept: Pillsbury Clayboy
Aspect: Needs to be Useful/Used
Aspect: Out of Place, Out of Time
Aspect: Unique Worldview
Aspect: Big Ball of Trauma
Aspect: Open-Hearted

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:49 pm

"Indeed! Assuming even just a handful of people in Lambeth are looking for contract work. And while they do it gives us a chance to draw up future plans. Have we had any resumes come in for the new ecology and urban farming position?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Will Stanton » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:35 am

Will tapped his earpiece, his eyes blurring for a moment, flashing blue and green alternatively.

"A few, but I'll be honest with you, none that have knocked my socks off just yet. A couple that might work, but no one worth pulling the job posting for just yet."
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:29 am

"Well, keep me informed. It does mention full accident coverage and hazard pay, yes? Maybe I need to up the offer..."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Will Stanton » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:27 am

"It does," Will confirmed, tapping his earpiece again to confirm. "And you're already offering above-average compensation for the position.

The stigma against working with a bunch of mutants is still strong. It simply may take some time before the right candidate is attracted to the position."
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:52 am

"I can hardly offer courses without a teacher, but maybe we can start the project itself. I just need to finish the blueprints and more crucial components for a hydroponics farm. And figure out transportation. And finish the funding applications for X-Corp. No, you can take care of that one. But I still need to look them over and sign them. I miss not having to sleep."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Will Stanton » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:00 am

Will paused for a moment. "You asked me to remind you that going without sleep can cause reduced coordination, decreased alertness and an increased risk of mistakes and accidents," he said. "And that you probably should not have more than six venti coffees in one sitting. Again."
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:24 am

"I did. But the good news is, the nanites have figured out how to filter excessive amounts of stimulants from my system. It doesn't help but it is technically better for me. And I will have you know that I managed a solid 4 hours of sleep last night. I'm working on reducing my responsibilities. Speaking of, I need to schedule a meeting with Miss Sherlock, I finished the books she left me. If you can fit that into my schedule?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Will Stanton » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:33 am

"Four hours. I shall contact Guinness so we can get that confirmed in time for the next record book update."

Will touched his earpiece again, his eyes flashing blue and green. "You have an opening two days from now before lunch that lines up with Jez's schedule. I'll send her an e-mail to confirm if that works for her, as well."
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:14 am

"I'm testing my theory that accelerated synapses lead to a reduced duration of subconscious processing. Results are inconclusive so far."

"And the fact that the next open slot that lines up is two days from now just illustrates my point for the need of more waking hours. I've spend barely any time in the workshop this month outside of class as it is and at a bare minimum I need to sort out the transportation issue between Lambeth and Maldon. Nobody wants to commute for over an hour."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Will Stanton » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:01 am

"In Europe, they think 100 miles is a long distance. In the United States, they think 100 years is a long time," Will quoted.

"They're both wrong, by the by."
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:20 pm

"Of course they are. It's all relative. Yet there's no denying the logistics of it. Employing and enrolling Lambeth residents as well as having students volunteer in the city would be a lot more enticing if it didn't come with a long commute. I need to make some time in my schedule to see if I can fix up one of Mr. West's old projects and cut that commute down to nothing."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Will Stanton » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:38 pm

"...Rob West?" Will said, tilting his head to one side. "Forgive me, but isn't his work usually...terribly unreliable?"
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:29 pm

"I believe the word you're looking for there is 'reckless'. But it worked and most importantly, it indiscriminately teleported everything within it's operative radius, which is exactly the kind of principle you'd need to build a teleportation gate one simply has to step through."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Will Stanton » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:39 pm

"I do hope that you're only adapting the principle, and not the technology itself. Historically, Robert West's inventions have reigned from inconsistent to actively harmful, depending on the maliciousness of the West in question. The interdimensional mix that Dr. Tomorrow set in motion is only exhibit 1A of this principle."
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:44 pm

"Do keep in mind that we restored the non-shapeshifting version of you by reverse-engineering a West invention. Their science is sound, even when the applications are not."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Will Stanton » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:50 pm

"I must admit, I find Conduit more trustworthy than Tomorrow. I hope you are intending to test any applications of this technology thoroughly."
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:11 pm

"I'm not going to subject the public to untested technology. That said, I might require a volunteer eventually..."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Will Stanton » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:18 pm

"I am sure I can provide subjects who would be absolutely thrilled at being subjected to dangerous, untested, and potentially disastrous technologies," Will deadpanned, tapping his earpiece again to make more notes.
Will Stanton
Student

Topic attributes:

Return to Dower House and Administration