I2DT: I always feel like somebody's watching me

Previously the lodgings of the late Lady Braddock, the Dower House fell into disuse for a number of years, particularly after Braddock Manor passed to Brian himself. Since the arrival of the University, it has been renovated into an administrative building as well as faculty and staff housing on the second floor.

I2DT: I always feel like somebody's watching me

Postby Emilie » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:10 pm

Emilie arrived as soon as she could, being as her emails were only accessible via the library. She was more or less expecting this little chat once she took up the job position but this way if they kicked her out at least Vic couldn't act like she 'Hadn't tried to make a go if it'.

"Hey Big Boss, you wanted to see me?"
Emilie
Student

Re: I2DT: I always feel like somebody's watching me

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:22 pm

Ashlie is sitting at her desk, on top of which is what almost looks like a mechanical horseshoe crab, lieing on it's back with it's mechanical guts exposed. Tools and pieces are spread out meticulously next to it and a couple of cables trail from the thing to the computer sitting next to the desk. She looks up when Emilie steps into the room.

"Ah, Emilie, glad you could make it. Hopefully this shouldn't take long. I've noticed that we're missing a significant number of your records and a preliminary check with X-Corp didn't turn up anything either."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:22 pm

"Don't bother with a deeper investigation. They won't find me."
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:53 pm

"That's what I assumed. It comes up quite a bit, many mutants distance themselves from their past or fled from countries that don't keep records or refuse access to them. I like to think I'm fairly good at correlating data and there's no sign of you anywhere until you showed up here. X-Corp tries to assist with these things but we're required to file the appropriate paperwork for our students and employees. I understand privacy can be a concern and if you have legitimate reasons for obscuring your identity then we can work with you. Thursday is not a very inconspicuous fake name."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:59 pm

"Yea, but Smith sucks." She laughed. " I only need it hidden from the outside world. Not you. Well.... Probably Not you...."
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:12 am

"I understand that and our records are secure. If you're worried about your identity as a mutant there are ways to have your academic records be recognized by another university. What is your real name?" she asks while the little drone on her desk twitches to life, it's legs going through what seems to be some kind of test of their range of motions. Ashlie doesn't seem to pay it no mind, at least not on the surface.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:23 am

"Emilie is my real name. Just Emilie, some times with an ie, sometimes with a y. Once it was even Emma Lee.

But here, I don't have any alias' besides Thursday. In truth, I was never born. Not like other people were. I started like this."
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:45 am

"Very interesting. How long have you existed? Have you had a medical examination done? What's the earliest thing you can remember?" For some reason, Ashlie feels somewhat familiar with the concept of just suddenly blinking into existence fully formed.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:58 am

"I don't know." She answered to the first question. "Somewhere over 130 years I think, but after that the memories get too blurry and I can't keep track of time anymore... Sorry."

Emilie was definitely picking up on Ashlie's unusual level of interest, but it seemed to her indulging to headmistress' curiosity was a better idea than denying her answers, being as the authority figure held Emilie's fate in her hands. Well kind of. She could always start over again somewhere else...

"I've had people medically examine me but once it goes beyond that, things tend to go bad. Not for others, for me personally. I don't mind if you want Dr.McCoy to look at me for 'scientific reasons', but please, no psychological evaluations."

Emilie had to pause and furrow her brow at that last one.

"Uhhmm... Hmmm..."

She closes her eyes to try to see if she can recall better what her earliest memory was.

"Victor and I are at a dance at the Institute and another boy who has a crush on me forces himself in between us and deck's Victor without warning him he wanted to fight."

A smirk paints her face while her eyes are still closed.

"Then I kick him in the dick. heh heh heh heh."
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:30 am

"A thoroughly inappropriate reaction." she smirks faintly, not sounding like she's condemning Emilie's reaction in the slightest, despite her words.

"I don't care about putting you under a microscope, I'm merely curious whether you're human. I have no reason to doubt that you'd pass a physical exam though I must say that most humans don't appear this young after 130 years."

The little robot crab seems to finish it's initialization routine and the back of it's shell opens up on one side, flipping it onto it's legs. It kind of looks like a sleek roomba now except it's surface is entirely white and, after the panel it flipped itself over with closes again appears almost seamless. Sitting on the table like this it could very well be a fancy conference call machine if it wasn't for the array of sensors hidden underneath it's 'shell'.

"You said your earliest memory is at the Institute. The school hasn't existed for nearly that long."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:39 am

Emilie seemed pretty pleased with herself, but she could understand why Ashlie would say that even if the anecdote was amusing.

"Damage to the bathroom incurred during that leprechaun instance aside, If it's any consolation to you that I don't intend to beat the piss out of your student body, back then I didn't have the skill set or the patience for other people's bullshit that I do now. Nowadays if a student did that to me, I'd probably just crush their instep, and pin them into a corner and let one of you deal with them. I don't get paid for that malarkey."

Emilie watched the little crab thing doing it's 'thang' as she rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly. Once it was no longer doing anything of interest she realized she was going to have to give Ashlie some kind of an answer.

"The answer to both your observations is the same. Kind of.

I don't age and I know the institute because 'when' and 'where' are relative states of being for me. At least, that's definitive on the institute business, but the aging thing is speculated to be one of many side effects of my condition. "
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:05 am

"You don't have to answer me if you don't want to." she says, noticing how long it takes Emilie to come up with what is a pretty vague answer. "It's not time-travel, because then there would be a record of you at the Institute. There's a strange quantum echo." she says, glancing down at the probe as if to make sure it's functioning properly. "You said you were involved in at least one of the incidents last week, but that signature should have long decayed. No actual spatial distortions either..." The probe's back panels open up again and Ashlie double-checks some of the machinery inside.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:12 am

"It's not that I don't want to answer.

It's that the more I talk and freak you out the more likely I am to end up in a cell somewhere."

She admitted, knowing that's what they did with people they thought were too powerful and/or dangerous.

"Not just time.

Time and also space. I move in no one direction, nor, so far as I can remember, have I ever re-appeared in the same where later. It's because of the anchor. If he exists in one timeline in one where, he's not going to exist in a later one, unless he was very very old. "

Emilie furrowed her brow. " I've never met an old one. Weird."

Emilie looked at the robot again.

"Is that thing scanning me?" She asked, wondering why it was up and about again.
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:35 am

"Not you specifically, but you're in the room so it's getting readouts from you as well. But you arrived weeks ago, that should not show up on scans anymore. Dimensional spin adjusts to the local properties within a couple days. If you're connected to a person then the phenomenon might emanate from there. Some mutants have dimensional powers, it could be that you're being pulled between them. We have no record of someone like that being at the school though. I have hundreds of questions, but let me just reassure you that I will not lock anybody away in a cell based on their potential. It'd be rather hypocritical of me to do so."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:43 am

Emilie had never met an Ashlie and as such, couldn't entirely take her at her word that she meant what she said... But she had to trust the headmistress knew what she was doing and was not a liar. At least until she somehow proved otherwise.

"You can ask me as many questions as you'd like to, but I'll be frank... Sometimes I'm vague because I don't really know the answer myself. Not to be rude or anything, but if I was smart at stuff I wouldn't be doing this anymore, I'd have probably found a way out by now." She laughed, but this time it was obviously more out of awkwardness of having to admit to that.

"I not good book learnin'." She stated, trying to emphasis the point humourously through use of bad grammar. "You don't need a fancy machine to tell you that, you can just look up the few math papers I have bothered to return.

As such all that stuff you just said about dimensional spin kind of went in one ear and out the other but I trust you know what it is you are talking about."

"It's Freud." She stated, because that she did know as a fact. "I've done enough moving to know he is the only universal constant, which means that it has to be him.

Don't know why though. Plenty of theories but none of them are very science-y."
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:07 am

"Victor Freud. Chosen mutant name 'Slight'. Born in Ontario, Canada. Attended Xavier's Institute for Gifted Youngsters. Unidentified mechanism of mass displacement, retains access to standard mass focused into diminished frame, mechanism presumed to involve Pym Particles. High potential for circumventing physical laws and parameters, no records of achieving such." she says, clearly reading off of some file somehow.

"Theoretically he has access to a state that could account for any number of things. Approaching certain thresholds of mass over volume causes any number of theoretical effects, but that would not have gone unnoticed. Still, it's theoretically feasible that he could generate a causal singularity. Highly unlikely, though." she says, noticing the blank look on Emilie's face. "Sorry, these topics usually don't come up with a layperson. It's theoretically possible that he could get so small that he could collapse several different versions of himself into one across dimensions. Being close to such a phenomenon could account for all kinds of strange effects, including temporal displacement."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:12 am

Emilie noticed the oddness and stowed it away, but being as they were at a school for mutants 'technopathic' would be her first guess. Not Robo-Principal. Emilie furrowed her brow as even in layman's, this was a bit above her head.

"So a Vic somewhere made himself so incredibly small that it made all kinds of hims across multiple universes and it sucked me into this mess too?"
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:16 am

"More or less. It's possible but almost impossible to prove. There are no working mathematical models for something like that. Have you experimented with what causes you to shift elsewhere?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:19 am

"Yea, some.

Being outside of his vicinity is the most common reason. If I'm far away for long enough, I will change where's and when's.

Death of either individual will also bring it on." She murmured with the addition, not clarifying how she knew that.
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:57 am

"I wouldn't have expected distance to be a factor. It certainly seems to imply a causal connection." If Ashlie picks up on the potential undertones of Emilie's addendum she doesn't say anything.

"How long do these cycles last if they're not interrupted?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:59 am

"Completely varies. The last one was only three weeks, but before that it was thirteen years. No consistency there."
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:02 am

"Could you compile a list of these for me? With as much or little detail as you feel comfortable giving?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:03 am

"Yea, probably, Might take me a bit though. Further back it gets the harder it gets to remember certain things."
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:41 am

"Right. Of course." she says, almost sounding like she has to remind herself that someone might not have perfect recollection of 130 years. "Take as much time as you need."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:49 am

Emilie frowned then. " Now that yer done asking questions, there's some things I should tell you that you didn't ask about."
Emilie
Student

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:18 pm

"There's two things actually.

The first is really the more important of the two.

Being in close proximity to Freud means he tends to become fond of me. Not really an issue when he's an Institute student. I'm not interested and when I tell him I am basically an old woman, neither is he anymore." She chuckled.

"And it's not a problem when he's grown up because he can make his own life decisions."

She shifted awkwardly again.

"I've never met a college Freud. I don't know how this is going to play out.

But I wanted you to know that I've already taken steps to alleviate possible fall out damage to the school's reputation in the event it got out we were romantically involved. When I took the student job I deliberately chose the one with the least responsibility and authority over Freud as possible. In fact, he has more control over my own fate than in reverse.

No one respects the lunch lady, especially not the ones who have to answer to other lunch ladies."
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:48 pm

"The school is in a precarious balance as far as public opinion goes. We depend on being tolerated for social reasons as well as our more overarching mission of encouraging tolerance between humans and mutants. Scandals would, no doubt, be leveraged by those aiming to remove us from the city or even country. At the same time we do provide a certain service in protecting the general populace from harm. That's why we have the Team programs and why we generally tolerate behavior such as people sneaking out at night in costumes. Public relations is important, even if we don't make a big show of it." she says, shutting down the roomba-drone.

"That said, it's a college campus and the last thing I intend to do is to police romantic involvement between people. If you were a professor then we would have to have a talk about confidentiality at the very least. Instead I would encourage you to take some classes while I look into this."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:01 pm

Emilie nodded. "Understandable. Avoiding scandal is exactly what I was thinking. A student dating a dimension hopping semi-immortal teaching assistant might cause a stir.

But an eighteen year old mutant dating a dimension hopping semi-immortal dishwasher sounds like the kind of dumbass decision making such a young man in his position might possess, and not that noteworthy."

She laughed again but quieted up quickly.

"I guess that just leaves the second much less likely but far more dangerous problem. I was having an issue figuring out how to bring this up to you without exposing myself... But since that ain't an issue anymore....

Are you familiar with an entity that calls himself En Sabah Nur?"
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:05 pm

Ashlie completely freezes for a moment.

"Apocalypse."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:14 pm

Em nodded."Yea. There's a girl here that comes from some kind of commune that has like, prophecies and stuff that are related to him returning. Could be a bunch of hot air nonsense. Generally I prefer to keep students secrets to myself, but I had only just met her when she told me so she must not think it too clandestine. It feels like since I seem to be the only 'kid' on campus who knows what she is talking about, if I didn't tell you and it came to fruition, I'd be screwin' us all over."
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:19 pm

At that Ashlie looks almost a little relieved.

"There are always people who claim they have prophecies and warnings about things like that. Especially someone like En Sabah Nur who plays into that angle. I'll keep it in mind, but someone always claims the end of the world is upon us in some fashion. You had me worried there for a moment."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:22 pm

Emilie shrugged. " Well like I said, I mostly just felt like I should bring it up on the small possibility he hadn't landed in this dimension, we were going to all die horribly because I have a mind like a sieve."
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:30 pm

"He's clashed with the X-Men before, but that was decades ago. If you do think you're seeing signs of something you've come across before, please let me know."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:12 pm

"Unfortunately, in this case I have only ever seen aftermath of his arrival, I've never been present myself. But if anything at all comes up, him or otherwise, I will definitely let you know."
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:28 pm

"Thanks. I appreciate your honesty. I'll get started on setting up a papertrail for you. Do you have any particular preference about the names of your parents, where you were born or how old you are?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:10 pm

"Don't care about parents much, 'cept I'd prefer them dead. Gives me a good excuse not to talk about people that never were.

Make me Canadian, Torontan If you want. I know the city well enough to fake it.

And 20 years old would be good. Sometimes I come off as weird to people, but maybe if most of the student body thinks me older they'll just assume me to be going through some phase of pretentious shit-birdness that college kids go through.:
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:34 pm

"Dead parents are easier to manage, yes. I feel it's psychologically more helpful to find an identity that feels right, but I understand how you might feel that'd be tedious after a while. I'll send you the facts once I'm done 'recovering' your paperwork."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:39 pm

"Thanks." After a moment she asks. "Ey, where do I pick up my check?"
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:46 pm

"It should get send to your mailbox in the dormitories if no one handed it to you yet."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to Dower House and Administration