"The energy of the mind is the essence of life"

Previously the lodgings of the late Lady Braddock, the Dower House fell into disuse for a number of years, particularly after Braddock Manor passed to Brian himself. Since the arrival of the University, it has been renovated into an administrative building as well as faculty and staff housing on the second floor.

"The energy of the mind is the essence of life"

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Basil had set a meeting with Melissa as Samantha had suggested, and even showed up despite the sheer terror he felt at letting someone else in his skull.

Sam and Haley were novices. They likely didn't uncover anything too embarrassing because they didn't know where to look for them or perhaps even didn't understand what they were seeing exactly (he knew this was the case with Haley, who had not made the connection between the female entourage that roamed his mind scape and his own sexuality.)

It would not be the same this time. The woman would be skilled and know Basil for exactly what he was. And that thought scared the piss out of him.

The only thing that kept him focused was the thought of how disappointed Colette would be if he didn't follow through.

And so the semi-invisible boy knocked and waited, fidgeting with his vest.
Basil Benson
Student

High Concept: Unwitting Heir to a Secret Legacy
Aspect: More Money Than Sense
Aspect: Ward of Unwanted Protectors
Aspect: Inconsistently Invisible
Aspect: Weirdness Magnet
Aspect: Covert Pervert

Re: "The energy of the mind is the essence of life"

Postby Melissa Terrance » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:48 pm

After a pause, the door opened and Melissa smiles at him. "Come in, Mister Benson. Would you mind if I called you Basil?" She steps out of the way to allow him into the office.
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:15 pm

"Yes, of course Professor Terrance." Basil replied stepping into the room. Being relatively observant, it didn't take him long to determine why Sam said that Melissa wouldn't mind his invisibility, though he had yet to determine Melissa could see him in a completely different manner.

Basil sat, and tested the chair a bit.

"Your office is nice." He commented, his head on a swivel as he looked about curiously, his expression somewhat nervous since he didn't think he needed to hide it.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:24 pm

"Thank you," she says, sitting in her chair, "I try to make sure it's comfortable and as relaxing as a professor's office can be. How can I help you?"
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:40 pm

"Ah.

Well, Samantha McManus recommended I come and see you. She thinks I might be telepathic. That is to say, my invisibility is somehow something mental. She thinks that you could help me turn it off if it is."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:44 pm

"An interesting theory," she says with a nod, making a note on some paper. It's obvious she's pressing harder into the paper than most people would. "Your file says you've been largely unable to control your invisibility since it manifested. Does that still seem to be the case?"
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:55 pm

"Mostly yes, though lately I've actually been appearing whereas up until a little over a month ago, I never had. It seems provoked by certain emotional responses now, but that's hardly better than before."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:01 pm

"Powers of all sorts often respond to emotions. I take it Miss McManus has reason to believe that your power has a telepathic component. Did she explain her theory?"
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:09 pm

"She says I give off a telepathic signal when I am visible. I don't feel anything though. Should I?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:15 pm

"Not necessarily," Melissa says, "Powers can have a number of expressions and not everything that looks like telepathy *is* telepathy necessarily, though many people give off some sort of thought component to their abilities that a telepath may pick up on." She seems to consider for a moment as she makes some more notes, "I can certainly take a look at your mind and see if I can find the marks of telepathy. That might give us some clue as to what's going on. But I'll only do it if you're comfortable with it."
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:21 pm

Basil finally noticed what was off about the scene in front of him, and tilted his head curiously at Melissa's notes on the desk.

"I suppose. I mean, I don't know what else to do at this point. It's nice to know others can see me again, but 'kind of' isn't quite what I'd hoped for.

And around here, being sometimes visible when you can't control it seems like more of a health detriment than being always invisible."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:34 pm

The notes, at a quick glance, just seem to be tidbits of what Basil has said or possibly her assessment of the situation. She puts the pad down on the desk and comes around towards the second chair. As she does so, the empty chair rotates towards Basil's chair apparently of its own accord. She takes a seat and motions for him to turn his chair as well, "This shouldn't hurt in any way. I'm just going to be taking a look for the moment. Anything I see or find stays between the two of us unless you give me permission to tell someone or I believe it constitutes a danger to you or someone else, so your secrets are safe with me. Just relax." In an odd gesture, she rubs her thumbs against the pads of her first two fingers for a bit before reaching towards the sides of Basil's head.
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:10 pm

Basil frowns, still not aware he's being seen.

"Alright." He replies, rotating his own chair towards Melissa's, he doesn't resist any when she goes to touch him.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:07 pm

That mean's there's probably a bit of surprise when she touches his temples, but she starts sinking into his mind, observing as she descends. As her telepathy takes over, her avatar takes on an interesting form.
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:38 pm

Like Samantha the last time, Melissa has no issue finding a suitable entry point to Basil's mind: an unlocked rod iron gate.

The steampunkish city that Basil was becoming more and more familiar with as 'what inside his brain looked like' splayed out before her. Here, she might get a better idea of how the sighted saw Basil, as invisible people in all forms of anachronistic regalia moved about their business around her.

Melissa would get the feeling she was being watched, though none of the see-through figures seemed to notice her.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:44 pm

She strides forward, glimpses of the tattoos on her avatar's skin occasionally appearing through the splits in her robe. She takes note of the see-through people, but since they haven't acknowledged her, she ignores them for the moment. Instead, she concentrates on that watched feeling and starts hunting it down.
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:58 pm

This might have been Basil's domain, but Melissa was more skilled than he. It didn't take her long to find the source of the feeling, a hooded figure sitting on a roof ledge, staring at her.

Inside his hood was no face, much like the invisible people in the streets.

He didn't seem hostile, but also not overly friendly considering he was staring at her in silence.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:15 pm

She regards the figure for a long moment, before addressing him, "Might I ask your purpose here?"
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:42 pm

The figure stood, then dropped from the roof, catching himself to dangle on the gutter of the building in just a mild display of showing off.

"I am the Burglar, I live here.

You're another visitor." The figure seemed to have an idea of what was going on which might be considered unusual for a regular person.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:43 pm

"Do you get many visitors?" If she was impressed by the showing off, her avatar didn't show it.
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:54 pm

"Hmmmm..." He replied, spinning himself to dangle upside down from the guttering like a bat as he thought of how to answer.

"I don't really know. I didn't start taking a head count until the Morrigan had to come in and sew me back together again. That time it was three.

Then the Morrigan again, by herself. And now you.

I suppose whoever tore me would make five visits in the last several months. Seems like a lot to me, considering...."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:56 pm

"That is quite a few. You say someone tore you?"
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:18 am

"Yes, into two bits. Don't know who, or when, or why. That's why I'm here now. I think. I wasn't this... The Burglar paused. - "- present before that."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:23 am

"Interesting." She peers closer at the Burglar, trying to assess the quality of the repair and see if there was anything else to be done. "Do you know what purpose you serve?"
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:53 am

Studying him, it was a pretty decent job, for a novice. Basil probably wouldn't be scarred for life, but the effects of the incident still took a toll that only removing the memory of it entirely would fix.

"Yes." He replied. "I am he, and he I. In the other place." The entity knew whom he was representative of very clearly.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:57 am

"So, as watchful as you are, you must see everything going on around here. Other than the visitors, has anything unusual happened lately?"
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:00 am

"Not that I have noticed. Should there have been?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:07 am

"It is a possibility. Your physical being has become visible on occasion and he has asked me to look into the cause or causes of this new development." She looks around, "Everyone here seems to be in a state of invisibility though."
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:13 am

"Yes, I was aware you were coming. That's why I let you in. Not so sure about you." He replied, still staring at her from his reverse perch. "Guess we don't have many options though." He relented, dropping down from his spot to finally meet her.

The other invisible beings parted into a path as if they did it intentionally, but none of them paid him any mind as they did so.

"You don't want to disturb them. Or the books in the library.

Basically you probably don't want to touch anything unless you want to be stuck in some sob story the entire time you're here."
He laughed ruefully.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:17 am

"Please, give me a little more credit than that," she says with a half-smile. "Some outside of this place know me as Seer. You may call me that if you wish."
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:21 am

"I shall.

Tell me then Seer, what were you sent to find? I haven't seen anything unusual, but that doesn't mean whatever you are looking for isn't here."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:23 am

"The Morrigan thinks that the physical being's invisibile condition may be linked in some way to telepathy. I've come to look for signs that may indicate he is, in some capacity, a telepath."
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:26 am

"What makes her think that?" He asks curiously.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:24 pm

"I'm not entirely sure yet. I haven't had the chance to speak with her personally, but my own observations would seem to indicate some potential at least." She moves closer to the Burglar, "Perhaps we might find some more answers in the library you mentioned?"
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:24 pm

"Alright." He replied. The Burglar wastes no time in leading her there, moving up, over, and around buildings and other cityscape that was in his way, past the statue of The Defaced Woman. He stopped short of entering the building to make certain he had not lost The Seer. He just kind of assumed after The Morrigan's appearing act that she could keep up.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:42 pm

She hadn't had any difficulties keeping up with him, though she had stopped for a moment to regard the defaced statue with a thoughtful expression before hurrying on after the Burglar.
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:09 pm

As the two entered the library, The Seer would be greeted with rows upon rows of books. It wasn't exactly endless, but it definite put the campus library to shame, doubling it's size and likely to grow with its owner.

"The vast collective knowledge of Basil Oliver Benson both conscious and sub.

Now we just need to find where what you want to know is stored."
He replied, as if the task wasn't at all daunting.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:48 am

"You don't happen to know the last time he was visible, do you?"
Melissa Terrance

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:03 am

"Yes." He replied, and began leading again. This particular memory wasn't overly important to Basil personally, so it'd already been put away as a long term memory. That's where he lead her, into a very vast section labeled as such. He wasn't nearly as fast this time, apparently having good enough manners not to run in a library.

Eventually he stopped and took a book off the shelf. The book was locked, but The Burglar had the key. Infact, he had a whole slew of keys it seemed, all gold, all kept on the same large ring of them.

The ring also had several instruments which appeared to be lockpicking tools.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Melissa Terrance » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:14 am

She watches with some interest as he retrieves the book, studying the key ring and it's associated instruments to try and get a sense of them.
Melissa Terrance

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to Dower House and Administration