DT1: A Distracted Shadow

Renovated and named in memoriam of Alysande Stuart. Houses a modest swimming pool suitable for laps and diving, numerous exercise equipment, an indoor basketball court as well as a nearby soccer field.

DT1: A Distracted Shadow

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:03 am

((open))

Onyx is in the gym, running through katas on the practice mat.

Sloppy.

She feels frustrated. All day long she has felt like she was a million miles away. She could barely concentrate on her training and was pretty much just moving on autopilot.

She was starting to wonder if being sent to the university was some sort of test. A temptation at having a "normal" life that would test her commitment to the cause.

Awful.

Onyx starts over on the kata and tries to empty her head of these thoughts, but she just ends up picking at them. Why was she here? What was she supposed to learn?

She thought about drinking with the team. Going shopping with Sam, Will, and Nailah. Going dancing. London.

She was starting to wonder if she would be able to leave when the time came.
Onyx
Student

Re: DT1: A Distracted Shadow

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:12 am

Nailah is yawning as she walks in with a cup of coffee in her hand. She watches Onyx for a little bit before she catches herself staring at the girl's fluid movement and she vigorously shakes her head to clear it, taking a sip of coffee to make it seem like she was just trying to wake herself up.

"Sorry I'm late... Didn't get much sleep last night." she says, dropping her gym bag nearby.
Nailah Weaver
Student

High Concept: Fledgling Hero
Aspect: Naive Sphinxling
Aspect: Shattered Precognition

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:15 am

Onyx looks up, a bit startled at first but she quickly composes herself.

"It is alright," Onyx says. "What happened? Did you have a lot of studying to do?"
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:21 am

"No, I just... weird dreams. Couldn't go back to sleep for ages." she rubs her eyes and sits down on top of her bag.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:33 am

"Strange dreams and insomnia can be signs of disturbances in your mental or emotional state," Onyx says. "Would you like to talk about them? It can sometimes help."
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:40 am

"I... uhm... I was just kinda fighting Dragonwing again but he was way bigger and then I was falling and yeah..." she kinda mumbles awkwardly.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:44 am

"It was a very intense experience," Onyx says. "I would be surprised if it did not cause you some fear and stress. You should not be embarrassed about that."

She sits down on the mat with her legs crossed.
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:50 am

"It wasn't that scary." she says out of a desire to not look like a wuss in front of Onyx. "I mean... it was but it wasn't that scary in the dream. It was just... in the dream you swooped in and caught me, but I dunno if it was really you? It was confusing..."
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:56 am

Onyx frowns, "If I was not me, who was I?"
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:01 am

"Sam..." she says a bit hesitantly, very intently studying the floor between her feet, flexing her foot absentmindedly and making the claws pop out and retract.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:12 am

For some reason she couldn't identify, Onyx felt a little bit annoyed with Sam.

"The two of you are very close. Perhaps you wish she was with you when you were fighting Dragonwing," Onyx suggests.
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:17 am

"I don't think so... I can't really think of anybody who I'd rather would have had on my side in that fight than you. I just... I dunno... I didn't like how that dream ended." she says a bit evasively.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:21 am

Onyx nods, "I do not know what your dream is about, but I promise that I will always be there if you need me, Nailah."
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:27 am

"Well yeah, we're crime fighting buddies, right? That's how it works. I'll do my best to always have your back too." she smiles, looking up at Onyx.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:30 am

"Of course. But you are also my friend," Onyx says. "The first one I have ever had."

Yes. A friend, Onyx thought. That is why it will be so hard to leave. I have never had a friend before.
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:40 am

"Oh. Yes, of course we're friends! I didn't mean that we're just teammates or anything. I just meant that I'll be with you through thick and thin too."
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:50 am

Onyx smiles. She starts to say something but stops. She glances around and then just says, "Emily."

"That..." Onyx pauses. This was hard. She was practically having to force herself past a wall of anxieties. "That is my name."
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:58 am

Nailah raises her eyebrows, not sure what Onyx is trying to say, but it seems important so she's listening. When she finally manages to get the words out Nailah let's out a small gasp, realizing what just happened.

"It's a beautiful name. I'm really glad you told me, Emily." she smiles. "I... I don't really have anything that important to share with you, but if there's anything you wanna know you just have to ask, okay?"
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:00 am

Onyx shakes her head, her cheeks bright red. "No, no. It is fine, ma'am. Just...do not tell anyone. Please."
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:03 am

"Of course! Your secret is safe with me, I won't tell a soul. And it's a standing offer."
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:06 am

Onyx nods. She feels a little bit better for some reason.

"What would you like to work on today?"
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:14 am

"Can we just work on some hand-to-hand techniques? I think I could use a little break from weapons and endurance and stuff that makes my body hate me."
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:16 am

"That would be fine," Onyx says. "We will start by teaching you how to punch."
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:21 am

"I know how to punch a little bit." she says, forcing herself to get up. "Thumbs outside the fist, twist your forearm into the punch and throw it from your shoulder!" she says, eager to show Onyx how much she knows. "And you aim for somewhere behind where you wanna punch." she adds, throwing a punch into the air to show Onyx what she means. It's not the best form ever but it's a solid start.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:26 am

"Excellent," Onyx says. "Throw a punch at me. Just like that."
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:29 am

Nailah throws a punch, aimed right at Onyx's head. She's learned during their first couple sessions that Onyx doesn't mess around and expects her not to either. She also fully expects to be walking right into a counter-attack and it probably shows in her body language that she's steeling herself for a jab of some sort.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:43 am

Onyx moves her hand quickly and stops the punch with her palm without moving from where she's standing.

"Your punch is missing half of its strength. Do you know why?" Onyx asks.
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:45 am

Nailah tries to kinda push her fist into Onyx' hand, amazed by how easily she's just holding her fist in place. "Hmm, no."
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:58 am

"You have the basics," Onyx says. "Now you need to learn two things. The first is to punch with your entire body."

Onyx steps around Nailah, making small corrections to her stance. "Every muscle from your feet to your fingers must move in perfect harmony. Knees. Legs. Stomach. Back. Think of how ever muscle is involved with throwing the punch."

"The second is timing. You must find the perfect time to throw the punch. You must align your entire body against your opponent..."

Onyx turns parallel to Nailah, in the same stance she just put her in.

"...and STRIKE!" Onyx cries out, her fist quickly snapping forward in a powerful punch.
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:07 am

Nailah noticeably tenses up as Onyx corrects her. Maybe we should have just done more knife-fighting. she wonders while her heart is inexplicably beating faster. You know it's going to be a strange day when the threat of getting stabbed seems less daunting than this. Still, she's at least trying to be as disciplined as Onyx, so she does her best to pay attention anyway and position herself right. She almost jumps a little when Onyx cries out and has to take a deep breath to center herself again before trying to imitate her friend, trying to line up her body in the spots that Onyx had indicated before throwing a punch, one foot braced against the floor, pushing into it as her back and shoulder push her arm forward. "Hah!" she more gasps than screams, but it's still a solid punch.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:18 am

"Good," Onyx says. "But you need to have more control over your breath."

Onyx puts her hand over Nailah's diaphragm, "All power and weakness comes from here. Take a deep breath."
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:24 am

Nailah takes a deep breath but it almost predictably catches in her throat. "Right... yeah. Just, like, breathing with my stomach, not my chest." she babbles. Damnit, this is all that stupid dream's fault, she had no problem tumbling around with Onyx before but now her face feels like it's about to catch on fire.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:30 am

"The breath flows to your limbs, hands, feet," Onyx says, matching Nailah's breath with a deep breath of her own. "It flows to the senses and mind."

She breathes out.

"Everything begins with the breath. Learn to control your breath and you can control your entire body."
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:41 am

"Right. Control my body." she says, taking another deep breath and trying to focus and clear her mind. How am I supposed to concentrate like this. I need to clear my head and get whatever this is out of my system! Before she has a chance to stop the process she turns around to face Onyx, almost reflexively following the steps the sudden flash of insight is laying out for her. Next step, lean forward and kiss her. This one she does catch but not before she places her hands on Onyx' shoulders. But then she panics and suddenly shoves the other girl away from her.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:48 am

A surprised Onyx is shoved over. She lands rather ungracefully on her butt.

"I am sorry," Onyx says., sounding confused. "Did I do something wrong, ma'am?"
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:53 am

Nailah looks absolutely mortified and kind of surprised herself. "I-I... no, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to... I... I should go!"
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:54 am

"But...we have not finished practice," Onyx says in a kind of confused and pathetic voice.
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:57 am

"I... just... finish without me. We'll... do this some other time maybe? I just remembered I have a bunch of homework and there's some laundry I should do and I should probably clean my dorm and there's class in a couple hours, so maybe I should prepare for those and... uhm... yeah..."
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Onyx » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:03 am

"Okay," Onyx says a bit sadly. "I...I will see you later then, ma'am."
Onyx
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:07 am

"Yeah I'll... see you later!" she says and kind of flees from the room, leaving behind her gym bag.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to Stuart Recreational Complex