Like Taffy

Renovated and named in memoriam of Alysande Stuart. Houses a modest swimming pool suitable for laps and diving, numerous exercise equipment, an indoor basketball court as well as a nearby soccer field.

Re: Like Taffy

Postby Will Stanton » Wed May 18, 2016 3:30 am

It would take a few minutes, but Will's mental defenses weren't particularly better, even after goodness knows how long it had been floating in space. A room filled with levers and knobs gave her a perfectly good view of the outside world from Taffy-Boy's perspective.

It was weird, seeing herself from this angle, but hey.
Will Stanton
Student

High Concept: Pillsbury Clayboy
Aspect: Needs to be Useful/Used
Aspect: Out of Place, Out of Time
Aspect: Unique Worldview
Aspect: Big Ball of Trauma
Aspect: Open-Hearted

Postby Miriam Bell » Thu May 19, 2016 2:34 pm

"Is that really what I look like?" she muses to herself, trying not to dwell on the sight and instead trying to figure out what the various buttons and switches do, starting by just flicking and turning them to see if anything about the outside view changes.
Miriam Bell
Student

High Concept: Sorrowful Telepath
Aspect: Powerful Enemies
Aspect: Structural Shadow

Postby Narrator » Thu May 19, 2016 11:47 pm

The buttons and switches were a variety of filters, and they seemed to do eight million different things, changing and altering the viewpoint in ways both subtle and grotesque.

Melpomene stifled a fake yawn behind Miriam.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Miriam Bell » Sun May 22, 2016 3:40 am

"For someone who is supposedly helping me you're being distinctly unhelpful." Miriam informs her new 'friend' as she tries to fudge together a filter that'll just blend in and not create anything distorted or bizarre.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Sun May 22, 2016 4:21 am

"If you want my advice, this is where you delegate. Call up someone who knows how this room operates, and make them do what you want."

Miriam would have some success, though it would be a frustratingly slow process.
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Sun May 22, 2016 8:28 pm

"Hmm..." Miriam looks around and tries to find the right mental process to bring to the fore that should be administrating these controls.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Sun May 22, 2016 9:03 pm

From the ground, a simulacrum of Will began to form, as Melpomene nodded approvingly. "Perfect. This will know how to work the machinery, so you just have to tell him what you need it to do."
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Mon May 23, 2016 10:26 pm

Miriam is forced to admit that's fairly clever. Using his own mental processes to create a more natural change.

"You, can you bring up the controls that filter his perception of people? I want to see the one he has for Sam."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Narrator » Mon May 23, 2016 10:41 pm

The Will looked at her a bit dopely, but went to the machines and started working.

The image on the screen gradually melded and shifted as Will's literal point of view altered, and screens next to it popped up loads and loads of information, scrolling by at a lightning pace.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue May 24, 2016 3:22 pm

"Whoa, slow this one down to a readable pace." she says, mentally reaching out for the information flying by to try and pick up on some of it.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Wed May 25, 2016 5:13 am

It seems "perception" has a number of meanings--there were hundreds upon hundreds of little lines, describing Sam, her personality, her favorite activities and...ahem, some physical attributes--in explicit and overly-complex detail, along with Will's precise opinions thereof.

"Pathetic, isn't it? She's left her thumbprint all over everything."
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed May 25, 2016 10:42 pm

"This is ridiculous. I don't need all of these mental connections. Just adjust his perception of me to register slightly different physical attributes." she instructs the dopey Will.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed May 25, 2016 11:31 pm

The Will nodded, adjusting dozens of levers in rapid succession--a blinding display of quick handwork.

The display on the screen changed, to make it look like Sam was standing there.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Miriam Bell » Thu May 26, 2016 3:27 am

"Okay that... that would probably cause some problems. Turn the hair black, get rid of the freckles, make the nose a little bigger and flatten out the cheekbones."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Thu May 26, 2016 3:44 am

Will nodded, and made Miriam's adjustments.

"And what do you hope to get out of this, darling?
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Fri May 27, 2016 1:23 am

"To keep him from just immediately associating me with you again. Now I can actually try and change the way he thinks about me without just getting colored by what he thinks of you." she says and casting her mind out to look for the place Will keeps his memories.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Fri May 27, 2016 9:39 pm

"Oh, best of luck with that. Funny, how you want to blame me all the time."

To find the memory-place, all Miriam really had to do was...follow her nose?

She traveled the "wrong way" through Will's head, avoiding the standard paths and hallways that would logically lead to her destination, and instead emerged through a wall into the middle of a vast bakery production floor. It smelled tasty in here, at the very least.
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Sun May 29, 2016 8:02 pm

"Are you really surprised by that after what you did to him? It's no wonder he started hating me the moment he remembered you." she mutters more to herself as she emerges into a... bakery? These metaphors were getting increasingly obtuse to follow. Begrudgingly she takes Melpomene's advice once more.

"Hey!" she shouts at the room in general. "Someone bring me his memories of me, starting with the most recent ones."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Mon May 30, 2016 5:32 am

"You think it's just me. I'm sure he loved what you did to Sam, didn't he? I mean, this entire place sprung out of Sam's seed; it's not surprising that she twisted him into think she's always right."

"One Miriam special, coming up!" one of the people behind the counter shouted, and the sound of rapid mixing and baking could be heard. A conveyor belt sent a couple sweet-looking desserts, on trays, down the aisle towards Miriam.
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Mon May 30, 2016 5:09 pm

"This is the worst metaphor for memories I've ever seen. How do I change them? Hey, one of you bring me the recipes for these!" she shouts at one of the Will's as she picks up one of the pastries and eyes it dubiously.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Mon May 30, 2016 6:41 pm

"It IS rather tiresome, isn't it? Playing along with this candy-inspired fantasyland.

You know how it all started, don't you? Sam built a gingerbread house. Everything spiraled from there. This place used to look quite different.
"

The workers were running around, digging out stacks and stacks of faded, stained papers that corresponded to the dishes Miriam was eying dubiously.
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Mon May 30, 2016 7:46 pm

"That sounds familiar... Is that why he's so obsessed with her?"
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Mon May 30, 2016 8:44 pm

"It can be hard to carve out the whys and wherefores in something as complex as a mind, darling, but everything in here has Sammy's fingerprint all over it--she either built or inspired it all.

Whatever Will was before it met Sam, that's long since dead and buried. Sam really made a perfect little worshiper out of it."
Will Stanton
Student

High Concept: Pillsbury Clayboy
Aspect: Needs to be Useful/Used
Aspect: Out of Place, Out of Time
Aspect: Unique Worldview
Aspect: Big Ball of Trauma
Aspect: Open-Hearted

Postby Miriam Bell » Mon May 30, 2016 9:09 pm

"No wonder he was happier before I opened up all of this. But then even that's something she made, isn't it?" she asks, looking at the growing pile of recipes being brought out.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Mon May 30, 2016 9:16 pm

"It is. She's the one who carved his brain in to three parts. She's the one who inspired this infernal metaphor. She's really done a number on him, hasn't she?

You're just playing along with her wishes when you try to work within this metaphor."
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Mon May 30, 2016 9:21 pm

"What do you mean? I'm working within the framework and metaphors of his mind. That's how it works..." she says, basically meaning that's what she was taught at Muir.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Tue May 31, 2016 12:27 am

"Oh, darling, they really HAVE crippled you, haven't they?

When you work within this framework, all you're really doing is being a cog in the machine. If you really want to circumvent all the various blocks and obstacles you may encounter, you'll want to set up your own little corner. You don't have to use
any of this."
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue May 31, 2016 12:38 am

"I'm not just going to break things down to replace them. I want to fix him, not do the same thing you and your Sam did!"
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Tue May 31, 2016 2:33 am

"Well, why not crate your OWN little chest, to keep your toys in when you're not using them?

It's clay, after all--it's MEANT to be molded."
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue May 31, 2016 2:37 am

"The field of clay kind of went away when everything exploded out of that box." she says, recalling the time when she'd done something kind of like that, although back then she'd just tried to rebuilt the ruins half-buried underneath the goo.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Tue May 31, 2016 2:50 am

"It never really goes anywhere. It's just buried underneath all this...this Märchen nonsense."

She headed for a wall, and with a wave of her hand, made a sudden opening to the outside, and the edge of the forest. That didn't make any sense, geographically, but hey, mindscapes!
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue May 31, 2016 3:07 am

"How's that... There's no regular mental connection." she mumbles to herself as she moves over to the opening, raising her hand to touch the edge as she examines it.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Tue May 31, 2016 3:10 am

"No, there isn't. See, Sammy has three distinct personalities in her head, and she apparently thought her little Willy should have the same.

She literally made him carve his psyche into three. Brain damage for fun and profit.
"
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue May 31, 2016 3:14 am

"That's insane! And he gives me crap for trying to prevent the same thing from happening to this Sam." Clearly agitated her shroud wraps itself tightly around Miriam and she flies through the opening into a different area of Will's mind.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Tue May 31, 2016 4:17 am

"He's really quite damaged, isn't he? Sam's chest didn't solve anything."

They arrived at a clearing in the middle of the woods--one Miriam didn't remember seeing, before. It had seemed the woods were entirely filled to the brim, but this...this was empty, and the soil ended up stopping short, revealing bare clay below. Where had it come from?
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue May 31, 2016 4:49 am

"How are you doing all of this? You're just an over-ambitious memory." Miriam says as she floats over to the bare spot and leans down to brush away some soil to see if there's more clay underneath.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Tue May 31, 2016 5:10 am

"Don't underestimate the power of memory, darling. Especially on someone as...impressionable as our current host. Like silly putty and newsprint, I suppose."

There was, indeed, some more clay underneath the dirt, but it got buried further and further if Miriam would try to explore more--under the factory, presumably, it would be very deep, indeed.
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue May 31, 2016 5:37 am

"More like a bad dream." she mutters, but she's distracted now, plunging her hand into the clay and pulling a chunk free that shifts and twists into various ill-defined shapes before turning into a dark brick of some sort that shimmers an otherworldly green.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Melpomene » Tue May 31, 2016 7:04 am

"One down, several hundred thousand to go," Melpomene quipped.

"See how easy it can be, though? You can build something much easier to understand. It might even help him organize his thoughts, yes?"

She idly picked up some clay herself--though, notably, it wasn't changing in her hands.
Melpomene

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue May 31, 2016 2:27 pm

"I really hope I'm not as insufferable as you." she briefly turns one of her masks towards Mel as she places the brick onto the clay. It slowly sinks into it and as it does seems to sprout. Large slabs forming from the clay to create a polished stone floor that grows out up to the edge of the forest, here and there the beginnings of a wall and columns rising up as well.
Miriam Bell
Student

PreviousNext

Topic attributes:

Return to Stuart Recreational Complex