Money Well Wasted

Located directly adjacent to the Rec Center is the Student Union building, housing a well-stocked bar and arcade, billiards and an open area with couches and coffee tables.

Money Well Wasted

Postby Shari » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:05 am

With her living situation taken care of for the time being Shari finds herself without anything in particular to do for the first in a long time. So while most people are in class she's wandering around campus, exploring. She's vaguely on the search for a clipboard, but she's mainly just checking out the Student Union building. Coming across the small section of Arcade cabinets tucked away in one corner just outside the pub she looks at them almost contemplatively. Her hands buried in her coat pockets she's considering the unthinkable. Spend some of her little cash on something that'd just be fun. It's a weird feeling to have the luxury of not having to worry about hanging on to every last cent or pence.

((open))
Shari

High Concept: Shapeshifting Stranger
Aspect: Shaping Yourself
Aspect: Philosophy of Form

Re: Money Well Wasted

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:13 pm

One of the machines Shari can see from where she stands is a brightly and well lit machine, playing club music at a volume just loud enough to grab the attention of passers by. The controls seem to be done with the feet instead of ones hands, arrows going on about eight different directions that were to be stepped on. On the screen were funky coloured letters that read-

"BOOGIE FACTORY!" A high pitched voice called out as if she were reading the screen. The curious specimen bouncing over to the machine and forcing her scary kitty backpack off her shoulder to take out her coin purse to see if she had enough coins.
Last edited by Emilie on Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:19 pm

"Now is that a factory that produces boogies or one where boogies produce... I dunno, rhythm I guess?" Shari chuckles at the animated pile of frill bouncing past her.
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:34 pm

"It is your nose!" Chisaki replied in a show of childish humour as she looked at the girl who spoke.

"I have four of the coins that say 50 on them.." She observes out loud. " Do you want to play too?"
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:39 pm

"Yes, boogers. Clever." she laughs. "Sure, how's it work?"
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:46 pm

"We choose a song to dance to, and then the game starts. It will scroll arrows up the screen and you have to hit the arrows in time to the beat. It will line up with another arrow at the top of the screen to help as a visual aid.

Keep dancing and you win! Most of these games give you three rounds as long as you can keep up with the rounds.

It is fun!" She exclaimed, her dead-eyes and empty smile showing off a high energy enthusiasm.
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:56 pm

"Sure, sounds simple enough!" she says, taking a look at the arrow mat thingie as she steps on the machine.
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:58 pm

Chisaki put in the coins. "You can choose the song. The machines are always different due to the design of the hardware, I am not even certain I have heard any of these ones."
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:12 pm

"You and me both." she says with a shrug, picking something listed under 'Easy' on the machine and the game kicks off along with the music kicking in.

For the first couple moments she's wearing a look of concentration, trying to follow the instructions and spending a lot of time awkwardly looking down at her feet to make sure she's doing it right. After a bit she glances over at Chisaki to see how the other girl is going about this whole thing.
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:28 pm

Chisaki was not looking down, but straight ahead at the screen. She didn't seem to be concentrating as hard but that was probably because she had done this before.

She timed her foot movement carefully to hit the buttons in question with her left or right foot depending on which side of the screen the arrow scrolled up. How accurate the timing of her steps elicited reactions from the machine such as 'good' 'great' or 'perfect!'. She seemed to be enjoying herself, humming a tune that didn't resemble the actual song at all.
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:04 pm

Shari tries to emulate her and keeps her eyes on the screen. She starts doing worse right away, but she does seem to be getting into the dancing aspect of it more. So while she's missing the correct arrows and timings, she does seem to get into the rhythm of the song at least. Her score is terrible, but she's grinning like an idiot anyway.
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:37 pm

Despite Shari's awful score, once the first song of the three has finished, Chisaki says - "Yay! You did fantastic! I did good too! Go team!"
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:01 pm

"About a quarter fantastic, according to the thingie." she chuckles, but that doesn't seem to bother her too much judging by how eagerly she takes up position for the next song coming up. She seems to be a quick learner (or maybe the song is a bit simpler in the moves it demands) and the seond round she manages to match what Chisaki is doing much more closely. Her score still isn't great, but that's probably because she seems to be more focused on the dancing than the 'hitting the correct arrows' part of it. Either way she bounces on the mat with a big grin on her face.
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:23 pm

"You will get better! Everything gets better with practice." Chisaki says at the beginning of the round

Her pace was more consistent being that she was used to the dynamics of this game. Next to Shari, Chisaki looked a bit like a marionette, partially due to her calculated and less 'dance' style, and partially because of her wardrobe.

"See!" She says, noticing Shari's score is higher this time. "Better already!"
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:35 pm

"Yeah, this dancing thing's actually pretty fun!" she laughs, slightly out of breath from bouncing around.
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:40 pm

"Yes!

I miss that about the institute sometimes. Seems there was less studying and more fun. Maybe that is because it was not university..." She muses, tilting her head to the side.
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:47 pm

"Well, no one's forcing you to study, right?" she asks in a tone that sounds like she's actually not entirely sure about that. Maybe the University did force them to study...
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:54 pm

"Well no, but if you do not attempt to try, they probably will not let you stay indefinitely. I mean, we are supposed to learn yes? That is why we are here. If we are not learning then we are taking some other persons spot to learn." Chisaki then engaged in a behavior she rarely did. For a split second, she frowned. "I think maybe people are more serious here."

But then she perked up. " Not me though!"
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:06 am

"What? You're not here to learn anything?" she chuckles.
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:24 am

"Nope!" She laughed. "Learning is for suckers.

Just kidding!" She added as if she had to point out she was joking.

"I am just doing basic studies right now, but eventually I will start on textile sciences. That is my goal.

Is there something you want to study? "
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:35 am

"Yyyeah, sure. Just haven't figured out what yet! Just kinda... coasting along right now. I dunno, I don't really have a plan, I guess? I just muddle on through!"
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:41 am

"There is nothing wrong with that. I think sometimes it takes a little time to figure out what to do as an adult." She says thoughtfully. She doesn't think on it for very long though.

"Ah! I am sorry! I am being rude. I have not introduced myself.

I am Chisaki Watanabe and I am eighteen!

What about you?" She asked expectantly.
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:52 am

"I'm Shari." she starts and when Chisaki looks at her expectantly she adds "I'm 19? Ish."
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:10 am

Chisaki makes a determined face, but what about Shari couldn't be sure.

"Someday..." She says apropos of nothing while staring off into space.

"Are you new?" She asked, snapping out of her away trance.
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:13 am

"Uh, yeah. Just got here, really. Are you okay? You kinda spaced out there for a moment."
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:15 am

"I am fine!" She replied, not really seeming to register a problem.

"How do you like it here so far?"
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:29 am

"Not going to lie, it's pretty sweet here. I've never been this... bored before." she chuckles.
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:38 am

"Oh! What are you used to?" Chisaki asked, always up for fun new adventures and curious what Shari's might be.
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:40 am

"Well, let's see... Oh! Last week I woke up to a rat trying to steal my breakfast, cause I was sleeping under an overpass near Hyde Park." she recounts cheerfully.
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:46 am

Chisaki gasped.

"I love rats! I like their little wormy tails." She said, inching her finger and staring at the movement.
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:51 am

"Yeah, the city equivalent like being nudged awake by a doe in a peaceful meadow. Except with more day old pizza that someone threw in the trash."
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:57 am

"Not too sure about that pizza..." Chisaki replied, as if somehow that was the worst bit.

"But that's OK! The cafeteria has plenty of fresh pizza for everyone.

Are you going to join the teams?"
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:02 am

At that Shari bursts out laughing. "Yeah, no, I'm gonna give that a pass on account of not wanting to get my head blown off. Or worse. It's cool people are doing that whole... save the world, protect the innocent thing, but I gotta make sure I look out for Number One first." she says, doing a twirly flourish with her hands before pointing back at herself.
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:12 am

Others might debate Shari on that point. Chisaki just tilted her head curiously and smiled blankly.

"Sometimes focusing on ourselves is what we need to do most." She agreed. "Self love is important, yes?"
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:16 am

"Yeah, I guess it is... Come on, you pick the last song, I wanna dance some more!" she says, pointing at the screen.
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:38 am

"Okay!" She said, flipping through some things until she noticed anartist she recognized.

"Missy 'Misdemeanor' Elliott!"

This song was mostly the same as the others in operation until a new arrow that looked like it had multiples dragging behind it showed up.

"Oh! That one is hold! You have to stand still on those buttons!" She explained hastily, and did exactly as she instructed Shari to show her what she meant.
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:46 am

Shari tries to keep up with the song, a look of concentration on her face. She's getting a sense of how to move from the rhythm but is coming up short until she stops for a moment, frown deepening as she concentrates for a moment and when she starts moving again her movement seems completely different, much more fluid and unrestraint, the cause of which soon becomes obvious when her joints seem to no longer be subject to their normal restrictive range of motions. She's still not super great at hitting the right arrows, but she suddenly seems to have figured out how to move more intuitively.
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:52 am

"Yes! Cheating is allowable!" She laughed, picking up on the fact that's not how people parts are to move.
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Postby Shari » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:58 am

"Much better!" she grins. "This whole dancing is starting to make sense. It's like you're letting your ears do the driving!"
Shari

Postby Chisaki Watanabe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:04 am

"I'm not the best dancer but I am very good at fast twitchy movements!" She admitted. "You are doing well though!"
Chisaki Watanabe
Student

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to XUB - Xavier Student Union Building