Brothers in Arms

The Estate's meticulously kept gardens, including a hedgemaze that students have occasionally described as "sadistic" and a sizable rose garden. Benches in shaded spots are plentiful, and the gardens are popular to study in on pleasant days. The nearby stables are still maintained with a number of well-heeled equines.

Brothers in Arms

Postby Narrator » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:05 pm

The quad was undergoing a bit of a transformation.

A bandstand was in the process of being constructed, with bleachers set up in front of a large podium, draped in purple and red. Cables and cords ran from the nearby administration building to a row of cameras and microphones, providing power to what looked to be quite the big event.

A banner was being raised behind the podium, with the Brotherhood Party's logo -- two hands shaking, one of then quote-unquote-normal and the other with some lines radiating out of it, presumably indicating 'power' or something -- prominently displayed.

An outdoor rally in the middle of winter? This would normally be a terrible idea -- but not for the Brotherhood Party! Where at a normal rally setup, you'd see a bunch of techs in jackets and cell phones going around talking, this setup was a bit different. A couple of flame-throwing mutants were sweeping the quad, melting the snow and creating a warm atmosphere. One tech with a headset and a pair of wings was flying overhead, pointing out where things needed to be set up and moved. At the sound board, one tech touched the mixing station as his eyes began to glow, with mike feedback dropping off to near-zero. Apparently, they hired plenty of highly-visable mutants to help staff the event.

A blue-skinned mutant with a tail was busy handing out flyers to everyone passing by. "Come see the Brotherhood Party's kick-off rally! There will be refreshments and a Q&A. Come see the rally! We'd love for you all to come and see the rally!"

((open))
Narrator
Site Admin

Re: Brothers in Arms

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Aiden took a flyer from the blue-skinned mutant and walked a bit closer to the rally a little curious about anything calling itself a Brotherhood Party rally.
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Shane Marsh » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:19 pm

Shane stopped to gawk at the activity with a sour look. "The bloody hell is this shite? We're hosting rallies for We're Most Definitely Not A Supremacist Party now?"
Shane Marsh
Student

High Concept: Grumpy Green Man
Aspect: Rich Kid
Aspect: Daddy Issues
Aspect: Faux Bad Boy

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:39 pm

"Typical," Aiden commented to nobody in particular at Shane's... vocal opinion, which was somewhat more in line with his expectations for the other students at XU.
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Narrator » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:44 pm

"Oh, this isn't about supremecy," the blue-skinned mutant said, coming closer. "This is about equality and equal opportunity. This is about giving a voice to the voiceless," he nodded.

The back of the flyer had applications to join the party or be subscribed to the newsletter, as well as numbers and e-mail addresses for more information --and a request for funding, naturally.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shane Marsh » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:18 pm

"Then maybe don't name yourselves after The Brotherhood, yeah? People might get the wrong idea. But what would I know, I'm a pessimist."
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:33 pm

"Siding with your own oppressor is an interesting stance," Aiden said looking at Shane. "The X-Men have saved the world dozens of times and still registration acts pass in countries across the world. It is as if they do not care how good a model citizen you are."
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Narrator » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:48 pm

"And you! You just saved the prime minster the other day, right? That was an example of heroism -- and already, the media is spinning it as mutants breaking the peace yet again. Without a voice, we get painted with whatever brush they want."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shane Marsh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:11 am

"Siding with my own... why? Because I think organizations that target people for oppression or violence because of their genetic makeup are all horrible? I don't give a bleedin' shite about anyone's us versus them bullshit," he said to Aiden.

"And I didn't do that for humans or mutants. I did it so there'd be one less excuse for the two 'sides' to go at each other's throats. I certainly didn't do it so another politician can use me as a talking point," he told the blue mutant, "One was plenty."
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:29 am

"You sound like a pundit chiding mutants for blocking highways or protesting," Aiden said, "Like any attempt at mutant equality that makes humans uneasy is a step too far. Like the US and the Black Panthers during the Civil rights movement was armed rebellion waiting to Lynch suburban whites."
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Shane Marsh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:15 am

"You're forgetting one important thing... The Brotherhood these idiots are namedropping actually bloody murdered people. Huge difference!"
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:21 am

"The humans have perpetrated genocide against mutants overtly and subtly since our appearance," Aiden scoffed. "The erasure of our kind is perhaps weighted more heavily than the deaths of a few."
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Shane Marsh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:41 am

"Murder is murder. Whether the person who commits it has mutant powers doesn't matter one damn bit."
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:53 am

"When one is systematically eliminating or oppressing you for being a mutant maybe you should do less handwringing over whether one death is the same as another," Aiden said.
Last edited by Sean Hall on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Narrator » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:33 am

"Besides, we're not affiliated with the Brotherhood of Mutants. We're a legitimate political party, looking to inspire peaceful change in society.

Mr. Dashwood wanted to meet you," he said to Shane. "But I'm sure he'd understand if you'd prefer not to share the limelight."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shane Marsh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:10 pm

"As long as he doesn't spout the same mutant exceptionalism bollocks as this tosser, I think I could manage that," he told the activist.
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:23 pm

"I'm sure mutants outside Genosha will be promoted to second class citizens from third after another fifty or sixty years following a failed philosophy that we need to prove ourselves to the humans," Aiden said disdainfully.
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:15 am

A demonstration revolving around the rights of mutants? Of course Jezabelle was going to be there. But the girl lacked the enthusiasm and energy she normally displayed at such functions. Instead of half a dozen of her running around and attempting to assist in the preparations there was just the one, bundled up in her long wool coat and colourful scarf, her long hair hidden under a knit cap. Instead she was reading over the pamphlet with a look of concern upon her face.
Two's company, she's a...
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

High Concept: Soapbox Sadie with a Secret
Aspect: Painfully Situational Sociability
Aspect: Good is Not Soft
Aspect: Master Multitasker
Aspect: Gamer Chick
Aspect: Tumblr

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:06 am

In Jez's company was Basil Benson, scanning his unseen eyes over the same style of pamphlet Jez had been looking over. Overall, he was treating it as he had treated the few times he'd been handed a Watchtower magazine.

"Well," He stated upon completion. "One has to assume they're a bit misguided with this name choice, but Headmistress wouldn't let them on campus if they were a threat, ey?"
Basil Benson
Student

High Concept: Unwitting Heir to a Secret Legacy
Aspect: More Money Than Sense
Aspect: Ward of Unwanted Protectors
Aspect: Inconsistently Invisible
Aspect: Weirdness Magnet
Aspect: Covert Pervert

Postby Narrator » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:59 am

"I'm sure mutants outside Genosha will be promoted to second class citizens from third after another fifty or sixty years following a failed philosophy that we need to prove ourselves to the humans," Aiden said disdainfully.

"I think you both will be pleasantly surprised by him, and he's open to any and all questions you may have."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shane Marsh » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:42 pm

"At least he hopefully won't regurgitate the Genoshan textbook at me," he answered, unable to stop poking at someone who sets off his arrogant-prick-dar.
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:08 pm

Basil Benson wrote:In Jez's company was Basil Benson, scanning his unseen eyes over the same style of pamphlet Jez had been looking over. Overall, he was treating it as he had treated the few times he'd been handed a Watchtower magazine.

"Well," He stated upon completion. "One has to assume they're a bit misguided with this name choice, but Headmistress wouldn't let them on campus if they were a threat, ey?"

"I'm not so sure about that, at least in the long run. They wouldn't be the first group that started out with noble goals only to be twisted into a cruel mockery of itself, and the first signs of rot are visible already. To me they don't seem all too eager to remove that rot before it spreads."

Jez looked up toward Basil, for all the good it did her. "This is bad, Basil. I just don't think people realize just how bad this is capable of being."
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:33 pm

Shane Marsh wrote:"At least he hopefully won't regurgitate the Genoshan textbook at me," he answered, unable to stop poking at someone who sets off his arrogant-prick-dar.

"At least they appear to teach critical thinking on Genosha," Aiden said, "More than I can say with you spouting the tired 'All Lives Matter' argument."

Aiden turned back to the party member.

"I look forward to hearing what they have to say."
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:40 pm

As a rule, Basil didn't really go for anyone with too strong of political beliefs, being how those sorts of people had worked out in relation to his family's history. Which is why he knew very little about politics in general. In his mind, it was the best way to stay away from indoctrination, as flawed as that probably seemed.

"Then the follow up question is if these blokes are as vile as you say they are, how did they get on campus in the first place?" Basil asked. Having not grown up in a society putting It's main priority on freedom of speech, the concept that a whole organization dangerous idiots had the right to it was lost on him.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Shane Marsh » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:05 pm

"You sound bloody exactly like my bigoted anti-mutant dad. The atrocities you seem to blame all humans for all began with attitudes like his and yours. Don't kid yourself into thinking mutants are immune to that. Because psychologically? Mutants are human too."
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:37 pm

Shane Marsh wrote:"You sound bloody exactly like my bigoted anti-mutant dad. The atrocities you seem to blame all humans for all began with attitudes like his and yours. Don't kid yourself into thinking mutants are immune to that. Because psychologically? Mutants are human too."

"Yes, and if everybody were colorblind there would be no racism," Aiden said, "That argument was tired when it was applied to racism and is still equally so when applied to the oppression of mutants by humans. That you choose to have only a surface level understanding of the issue matters only in that it shows your education wanting."
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Shane Marsh » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:38 pm

"Please. If everybody were colorblind, the zealots and deluded politicians of the world would just find new ways to push the rest of us into the meat grinder while jerking themselves off in the mirror."
Shane Marsh
Student

Postby Aiden Mitchell » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:02 pm

"Anarchy would be a far worse solution," Aiden said. "Order at least allows for a system that can be leveraged to create change."
Aiden Mitchell

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:57 pm

Basil Benson wrote:"Then the follow up question is if these blokes are as vile as you say they are, how did they get on campus in the first place?" Basil asked. Having not grown up in a society putting It's main priority on freedom of speech, the concept that a whole organization dangerous idiots had the right to it was lost on him.

"I don't think they're vile." Jez sought to explain herself better. "But I think they've allowed some very dangerous thinking to taint an otherwise noble goal. A few bad apples and all that."
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:10 pm

"The question remains. " Basil replied, trying not to chide. " If they are a bad influence or under the influence of bad people... why are they here? Doesn't the school make a point of being proactive about not involving themselves with unsavories?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:59 am

"I don't know. Maybe they won't be, maybe I'm just over-reacting. But I can't just ignore this and hope for the best."
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:04 am

His collar tilted as he looked to Jez.

"Well... What should we do next? Eavesdrop on conversations for information? Grill someone to extract information?

Oh! Flirt with people for information!"

Basil seemed unexpectedly excited by espionage, considering how much he hated the thought that everyone else suspected him of spying on them.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Jez let out a little snort as she stifled her laughter. "Well I don't think the headmistress would appreciate us interrogating anyone. I'm awful at flirting and you're not allowed to, Mr. former-eligible bachelor. So I think eavesdropping is the way to go."

"Don't worry, you don't have to be subtle or anything, you can always do what I do. Just find the most pretentious-looking person and stand near 'em; they'll be looking for any excuse to talk about themselves and how great their cause is."
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Narrator » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:39 pm

The ushers were beginning to urge people to head towards the podium. They seemed to be looking for and selecting people with visible mutations to stand behind the lectern, where the camera could conveniently pick them up. They were passing out some signs and placards as well, with some slogans and symbols written on them: Mutatis Mutandis and Children of the Atom, in the same purple and red color scheme as the various placards and signs.

A number of locals from the town had begun gathering on campus, too -- looking particularly dubiously at all this...to-do. It was not going to be the most receptive audience in the world, most likely.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:38 pm

Basil got an idea.

"Jezabelle-" He whispers."Would being in the group on camera help you at all?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:33 am

"Hmm?" Jez had to think about that for a moment. "Well, I don't suppose it'd hurt."
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:15 pm

"They seem to be picking the most obvious ones of us.
Five of you and one invisible me might be enough to qualify, but all five of you would have to be clumped together to be obvious."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:43 pm

"I suppose that could work." Jez said absent-mindedly.
"You know that's not the real reason he suggested it though." A different Jez remarked.
"It's not? What other reason is there?"
"Oh! I know I know!" A third Jez was bouncing with her hand held up in the air.
"Yes?"
"It's because he wants to be surrounded by women, like when he drops notes at a swanky bar." Jez explained.
"Oh, well I suppose we could give it a shot, so long as his girlfriend doesn't get jealous."

In just a minute Basil was surrounded by about half a dozen Jez's who were discussing the matter with each other and talking about him rather than to him. Because sometimes they liked to be brats.
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:19 am

Basil had no issues with 'acting silly' around his friends, especially if those friends were females and less likely to give him flack about 'preserving his manhood'. As such, his response to the vague mention of Colette again was met with -" If she likes it then she oughtta put a ring on it."

The lyrics were slightly wrong but the following choreography that he did with it was dead on as he danced his way up to take a sign he hoped wasn't too offensive.
Last edited by Basil Benson on Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Jezabelle Sherlock » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:21 am

The Jez's played their part by taking a cue from Beauty and the Beast, the girls following and tittering over this smartly-dressed and extremely British young man as the Bimbettes did over Gaston.
Jezabelle Sherlock
Student

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to The Gardens and Estate