[Social] Alien Art ((open))

The Estate's meticulously kept gardens, including a hedgemaze that students have occasionally described as "sadistic" and a sizable rose garden. Benches in shaded spots are plentiful, and the gardens are popular to study in on pleasant days. The nearby stables are still maintained with a number of well-heeled equines.

[Social] Alien Art ((open))

Postby Shari » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:44 am

Shari is wandering across the Quad, carrying what can only be described as a large eight-sided die with the top half twisted into some kind of spiral, the whole thing set on top of a very thin circular almost boney disc. Oh and the whole thing is the angry red of flesh and muscle and moving ever so slightly.
Shari

High Concept: Shapeshifting Stranger
Aspect: Shaping Yourself
Aspect: Philosophy of Form

Re: Alien Art ((open))

Postby Narrator » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:55 pm

Elsewhere, crossing the quad, a man in a cape and a beret was also walking. Now, Shari had only just begun her research into the world of Art, but if there ever was an Art guy in the world, that dude was it.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:17 pm

If there's one thing that Skrulls inherently understand it's stereotypes, so she eagerly waves at the man before realizing her sculpture is slipping when she only holds it with one hand and quickly grabs a firm hold of it again and instead changes her walking direction to put her on a course towards him. Maybe this is the Art Professor. Do they have an art professor? Probably! It's not like Shari has memorized the faculty list.

"Hello!"
Shari

Postby Narrator » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:25 pm

"'Ello?" the man says, confused by the very strange student for a moment. Who comes up to a servant of the royal family anyw...

...what the hell was she carrying? That caught Jacques' attention, and he looked to phrase his reaction appropriately.

"...What the hell are you carrying?"
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:56 pm

"Art! I sculpted this myself! Well, with a little bit of help from my friend Will." she says, putting the sculpture down on the ground, which makes it shimmy/jiggle disconcertingly.
Shari

Postby Narrator » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:00 pm

Jacques reached into his pocket and pulled out a pair of spectacles, onto which were clipped a small magnifying loop.

"A sculptor, you say?" he said, looking fascinated. "I don't believe I've ever seen anything in this medium before."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:54 pm

"A Sculptrex." she corrects him as if that was a real word. "It's made from muscles and bone. Like I said, my friend helped me with it."
Shari

Postby Narrator » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:56 pm

"...Like, actual muscles and bone?" he said, wrinkling his nose up a little as he took a step back. "Some sort of...bodyworks-type exhibit?"
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:15 pm

Shari has no idea about Bodyworks as a thing, but the words sure sound right.

"Yeah! It's a completely new shape, never seen before in a living thing!"
Shari

Postby Narrator » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:34 pm

"...You don't mean to tell me this is alive," he said, taking a step back.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:48 pm

"Well yeah. I told you my friend helped me with it." she starts, though to her credit she does catch on to the man's reaction.

"He's a shapeshifter! It's totally fine."
Shari

Postby Narrator » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:01 pm

"Oh, so, he simply shifted to look like this, then? Well, that's....that's very good of him, I'm sure."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:37 pm

"What? No no no! I made the shape! He's just... holding it."
Shari

Postby Narrator » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:15 am

"Perhaps I'm not understanding how this, er, sculpting works. Is it some sort of...collaborative process?"
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:02 pm

"I guess! He turned into clay and I molded him and then he turned fleshy again. I guess kind of like that thing you do with plates and mugs in the oven, but with skin and bones."
Shari

Postby Narrator » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:46 am

"Young lady, this is not what we do with...'plates' and 'mugs'. If anything, this feels...unfinished."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:48 pm

"Unfinished? How's that? I made a shape and it's set into flesh and bone." Shari huffs. Who's this guy to question a Sculptrex's work.
Shari

Postby Narrator » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:34 pm

"Sculpting isn't about just creating shapes. This isn't anything; it's just a blob. A blob for which the, er, material is doing most of the work," Jacques said, dismissively. "You have not added much to it yourself. It doesn't mean anything; it doesn't do anything, it doesn't represent anything. It does not spark joy.

And as for being set in flesh and bone, that simply means it will perish, yes? It is not a pathway to immortality."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:42 pm

"It's making you upset. That's doing something. And it's not gonna perish because it's gonna turn back into a person at some point. If you're so great why don't you make a cool living shape? I bet I know way more about shaping living things than you." Shari huffs.
Shari

Postby Narrator » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:56 pm

"That isn't sculpture," Jacques said, dismissively. "That is, at best, biology. "
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:17 pm

"Biological sculpting." Shari insists and puffs her chest out, sprouting a thick collar of fur that looks more like the dusty hairs of a moth than regular fur, an effect that's only enhanced by her head changing and elongating slightly, sprouting two long antennae that sweep backwards. Unblinking eyes looking at Jacques.

"You think it doesn't take skill to turn skin into chitin and thread nerves that can smell sounds in the air?" she says, flicking one of her antennae like one might with hair.
Shari

Postby Narrator » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:45 pm

Jacques took two and a half steps back as Shari shifted -- who wouldn't? But he held his philosophical ground.

"I did not say it did not require skill.. Simply that it was not, and is not Art."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:03 pm

"Why? Cause it goes away? The constant means nothing without the ever-changing and vice versa."
Shari

Postby Narrator » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:26 pm

"Because it does not mean anything. It is not creativity expressed; it does not improve the world in which it is found. It is merely a matter of practicality. "
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:05 pm

"It means something to me. It means something to how people see me and interact with me. It means something for understanding them. This thing might not have a message." she says, patting her sculpture, "But it tells you something about the person who made it. You might think what it told you is bad and stupid, but it told you anyway. It told you that I think this is cool and good because it's pointless and weird and clumsy."
Shari

Postby Narrator » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:24 pm

"What it tells me about the person who made it is that they do not, as of yet, have even a portion of the skills required to express their intention in...this medium, at least," Jacques said, haughtily.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:58 pm

"Well obviously. This is my first work as a Sculptrex."
Shari

Postby Narrator » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:54 pm

Jacques sighed, rubbing his temples. "Does it even have a title?"
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:15 pm

"Oh. Hmm. It's called... Anew."
Shari

Postby Narrator » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:18 pm

"Well, I suppose my first sculptures were not fit for display, either," Jacques said, with a sigh. "But I will be honest, this needs....a great deal of work before it can be considered worth displaying or selling."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:39 pm

"I don't want to sell it! I just wanna show it off cause I'm proud of it and I bet Sl'gur't would approve because it's the first truly new thing in ages made by a Skr---ulptrex." she narrowly catches herself.
Shari

Postby Narrator » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:13 pm

"If you are proud of this now, imagine what yo could make when you had the slightest sense of what you were doing," Jacques said, a little haughtily.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:31 pm

"Hrm. Yes indeed. Who would you say are the greatest... say 5 artists of Earth?"
Shari

Postby Narrator » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:40 pm

"Ah, now that is an unanswerable question."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:51 pm

"What? You don't know who the 5 best artists are!?" Shari gasps so hard she shifts back into a human just to have the proper lungs and general biology to do so.
Shari

Postby Narrator » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:27 am

"That is highly subjective, and to even come close to providing an answer would require...well, more knowledge than you currently have," Jacques said, with an air of superiority.

"But, if I had to go for some names...Michelangelo. Donatello. Bernini. Rodin. Giacometti.. Studying the masters can only help one improve."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:28 am

"Yes! Exactly! Finally something we can agree on." she nods. "Wait..." she says, narrowing her eyes at Jacques. "Tapa'im eka skrullos hu'nuhuncha?" she rattles off in what's basically the equivalent of 'Skrull says what?"
Shari

Postby Narrator » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:27 am

"...I'm sorry?" Jacques said, hopelessly confused.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Shari » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:45 am

"Okay, good. Nevermind that. Studying the masters, I might just do that. But... there's no one that has done this kind of art before, right? You mentioned some kind of body works...."
Shari

Postby Narrator » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:50 am

"Plastinised, preserved and dissected bodies. Not exactly fine art, if you ask me, which you have."
Narrator
Site Admin

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to The Gardens and Estate