[Plot] Nothing to See Here

The Estate's meticulously kept gardens, including a hedgemaze that students have occasionally described as "sadistic" and a sizable rose garden. Benches in shaded spots are plentiful, and the gardens are popular to study in on pleasant days. The nearby stables are still maintained with a number of well-heeled equines.

[Plot] Nothing to See Here

Postby Drake Martin » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:43 pm

Drake was excited. Not for being up at three in the morning, because screw that, but for the most important assignment he'd had since being sent to XU. They trusted him enough, no... relied on him enough to make a decision that could affect the future of his country. He felt important in ways more justifiable than his usual exaggerated narcissism.

He showed up at the designated spot in the small patch of woods on campus, his human self dressed unassumingly so as not to draw unwanted attention. Leaning against a tree, he popped a cinnamon candy into his mouth to ease his nerves and waited.
Drake Martin
Student

High Concept: Dragonsouled
Aspect: Flyboy
Aspect: Genoshan Agent
Aspect: Bookwyrm

Re: Nothing to See Here

Postby Xander Bathory » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:23 am

Drake very nearly missed the man walking up to him, so silently he walked through the forest. The leaves barely were disturbed under his feet as he travelled; the darkness of his black cape blended with the darkness of the forest. But notice him he did, even though he was coming up from behind -- Drake couldn't be misled that easily.

The man leaned up against the other side of the tree Drake was leaning against, and looked out at the night sky.

"Enjoying a walk in the crisp night breeze?" he asked, giving half of the countersign to identify him to Drake. He was hiding an Eastern European accent, and fairly well, too.
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:52 am

"Best cure for insomnia, I find."
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:08 am

"More effective than a glass of warm milk.

You are Spitfire then, no? Younger than I would have thought," the man said, staring off into the night sky.
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:26 pm

"Well, this is a university. Who better to blend in than a fellow student?"

"I hope you aren't insulted they sent you to meet with a junior agent. If it's any consolation, I've been trained by the best."
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:58 pm

"Not at all. I understand Genosha values other things over age and experience, as is their right."
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:33 pm

"So what is this intriguing offer? And from whom?"

Don't say Doom. Please don't say Doom.
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:53 pm

"I represent...an interested party," the man said, casually. "In the current chaos in the Balkans. A party who would like to take advantage of the situation to the benefit of both our nations."
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:12 am

Ah shit, it might actually be Doom.

"And what nation would yours be? If I'm to make any kind of judgment about the sincerity and worth of this offer, I first need to know who we'd be aiding."

And if I might be betraying anyone.
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:24 am

"I represent the Count of the Seven Cities, and my master would prefer not to see Victor von Doom double the size of his kingdom and further press against our borders. At least, not without carving a piece of the pie for our own efforts."
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:07 am

"What's good for Doom is bad for everyone else," he replied, "What is it your master proposes?"
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:51 am

"Symkaria, standing alone, is sure to fall. It has been a weak nation for 50 years; a tightly wound bundle of promises waiting to fall apart. Weak leadership and weaker internal control have led it to the brink of tearing itself in twain, in trine, into it's 12 constituent parts. It's legacy will come to an end, leaving it ripe for the picking from other, crueller regimes.

As you well know, Symkaria is a haven for mutantkind in Eastern Europe. For 50 years; homo superior has been able to live and work freely within it's borders. I am sure Genosha would be disheartened to see that legacy erased. And while Doom says that mutants are welcome in his nation, I dare you to walk around and find one openly using their powers there.

As you may well not know, southern Symkaria also has been a home to our brothers and sisters. Living quietly, peacefully, but secretly, in the dark, in the night, in the shadows. Our people have been quite badly slandered over the years, and it pains my Master deeply to see them reduced to such a state.

We do not intend to let such a situation continue. With the treasonous actions of three of the Symkarian Council of Twelve, a quarter of Symkaria is falling into anarchy. Anarchy on our borders. Anarchy we do not intend to allow.

And yet, we require...aid, in order to act appropriately. There is so much one can do in the night, and yet so much that one can do in the day, as well. I am sure Genosha would appreciate a friendly, allied state, in the center of Europe, so your people are no longer shunted off onto an island in the middle of nowhere, forgotten about, ignorable. Instead, Genosha could rise, part of an alliance that would lead it to being a true world power; one who other nations would have to pay attention to. A nation with the influence needed to squelch these regrettable Anti-Mutant laws popping up across the globe like cancers.

My Master intends to have control of the rogue Symkarian provinces. If Genosha were to aid us, they too would have control, and allow their mutant brethren to thrive on the continent."
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:46 pm

Fuuuck. Vampires. Not sure that's better. But if it will keep Symkaria together...

"I'll admit that making a deal with your kind makes me uneasy, but I won't let seeing too many horror movies inhibit my duty to Genosha and mutantkind."

"What is it your master needs us to do?"
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:19 pm

"Uneasy, is it?" Xander said, a frown slipping into his voice.
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:35 pm

"Worry not, I see my ignorant preconceptions for what they are. The invention of fiction writers. It won't affect my report to my superiors."

He hoped this vampire couldn't read minds because he was totally creeped out over the idea of helping vampires expand their feeding ground. He really wanted to believe, though, that vampires weren't the monsters everyone thinks they are. If mostly because he was looking for a way not to feel like he was screwing over Jez's girlfriend.
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:12 pm

"Well, see that it does not. We have been hounded enough through history, as I am sure your...superiors can sympathize with.

There are a number of options we have for taking the provinces in question. The least elegant solution would be simply to take them in the power vacuum; between the Acolytes and my Master's children of the night, I imagine resistance would be minimal; Symkaria having it's own problems to deal with. Indeed, they may benefit from our help, and ask us to assist them in throwing out their little internal rebellion. Better to turn to us than to Doom, would you not agree?

Alternatively, we could simply be given the duchys from the King; vacating the current royal families and giving them to people of a more...proud bloodline. I hear tell that the Crown Princess is fond of Genoshans, so perhaps she could convince her father to install one on a throne, giving the other two to my Master's chosen ones. As a thank you for our aid in ending the struggles in their lands.

Or, of course, we could, if you forgive the expression, go for the jugular. If the Crown Princess is going to be the next ruler of Symkaria, she will need a strong consort by her side. If she could be...persuaded..."
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:03 pm

"I'll run the options past them. I personally prefer the more elegant democratic solution. Requested aid has better optics by far. But the ultimate decision isn't mine."

"How quickly do you need an answer? I understand time is short."
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:07 pm

"Act with all appropriate speed and caution. We have waited a long time for an opportunity such as this; we can wait a short while longer.

I shall be available any night which you need me. You can contact us through our superiors."
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:24 pm

"I'm at liberty to make a few judgement calls in the spirit of efficient action. It should be 48 hours, tops. Should we meet here next time?"
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:38 pm

"I shall be waiting," the man said, with a large, dramatic bow.
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:51 pm

Two nights later...

Drake was back at the tree with an answer.
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:12 pm

The strange man was there, as well.

"Prompt, as always. A pleasure."
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:30 pm

"I've been given the go ahead to gain the princess' trust enough to convince her to sway her father to consider our aid. If I cannot accomplish this with sufficient haste, we can revisit more direct measures. Is this acceptable?"

He just hoped he wouldn't be burned at the university if he got as far as breaking his cover to make the offer and failed to seal the deal.
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:39 pm

"I see," the man said, with a nod. "I believe that to be wise -- a direct intervention can be so messy. Soft power is the way of the 21st century.

Do you have a plan to sway the Princess?"
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:00 pm

"Her first impressions of me weren't good. But at the time she was wary of her presence here being revealed, which no doubt contributed to her suspicion of people approaching her. Also, I have since become friends with her 'handmaiden,' which gives me a foot in the door. I believe I can use that relationship to improve the princess' opinion of me enough to hear me out."
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:40 pm

"Yes, her attachment to the girl is a potential weak point. A wise strategy."
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:08 pm

I'm just trying not to be a bastard with this.

"How long do I have to keep up my end?"
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:19 am

"I'm afraid I don't follow. If all goes well, this will be a long lasting cooperation between our peoples. If you can seal the deal, that is."
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:36 am

"I wasn't chosen for my mutation. You just worry about what comes next."
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:35 am

"If the Princess is amenable, that shall be the easy part. But it's best coming from friends, and not foes."
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:04 pm

"Forgive my impertinence... but she will likely need some guarantee that your people won't feed on her unwilling countrymen," he said delicately.
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:37 pm

"And what sort of...'guarantee' were you thinking of?"
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:43 pm

"I don't know how your people handle treaties, but something like that when the time comes."
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:54 pm

"We'll avoid signing it in blood under the light of the full moon," Xander deadpanned.
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:13 am

"I'll take your joke as a 'that can be arranged,'" he replied.
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:16 am

"Have no fear, we'll do our part. You just need to get the Symkarians to see they have no other choice."
Xander Bathory

Postby Drake Martin » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:56 pm

He yawned.

"Well, I'm going to need some beauty rest if I'm gonna get this done. I am very much not a creature of the night."
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Xander Bathory » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:58 pm

"Well, I suppose no one is perfect. Good evening, Sir. We will be seeing you soon."
Xander Bathory

Topic attributes:

Return to The Gardens and Estate