Bits and Pieces(open)

The Estate's meticulously kept gardens, including a hedgemaze that students have occasionally described as "sadistic" and a sizable rose garden. Benches in shaded spots are plentiful, and the gardens are popular to study in on pleasant days. The nearby stables are still maintained with a number of well-heeled equines.

Bits and Pieces(open)

Postby Eric Noir » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:07 pm

Eric zipped through the garden, scanning the ground. Someone may have thought him a dragonfly if not paying attention. He was looking for bits and pieces left behind by other students. Generally people tended to drop things that of late he had found useful. The Garden wasn't exactly his favorite place. Too many insects. Even if it were a butterfly, at his size seeing them up close was less pleasant an experience. As such he avoided the flower beds and tried sticking to the paths trodden by students.

"Ah-ha!" he said, as he spotted the glint of plastic. He whizzed down and landed by a bench. A abandoned pen lay beneath it, likely dropped by someone who had sat there. He pulled it out and examined it. It was a retractable ballpoint, a nice find. Since he had accepted his smaller size, he had began making his own stuff from scratch since nearly everything was too big for him. He had to craft his own writing utensils, clothes and furniture if he wanted anything of the sort. He was looking into carving, metalworking, mechanics and other such fields to better his skills. At his size, even scraps could have a potential use for him and a mechanical pen had parts he could salvage. He lifted the pen onto his shoulder and flew up to the top of the bench, looking out over the path for anything else of potential use.
Eric Noir

Re: Bits and Pieces(open)

Postby Emilie » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:30 pm

Math was *the worst*, but a test was coming up and Emilie had to cram at least enough so that she didn't seem to be ignoring the subject completely. Sighing, she set the book on the bench next to her. That's when she spotted the tiny man out on an adventure.

"Hey Tom Thumb, what's shakin' ?" She asked, her voice a bit lower than usual.
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:51 am

The woman hadn't noticed him at first, but when she did she addressed him. He couldn't say being called 'Tom Thumb' thrilled him, but at least she hadn't called him a fairy. "It's Eric actually," he said in a bit of annoyance, signifying his sensitivity about his height. "And I'm doing as well as can be expected."
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:54 am

Emilie smirked, tilting her head sideways a bit.

"New in town Eric?"
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:16 am

"Yeah," said Eric, putting the tip of the pen on the bench and balancing it like a beam. Reflexively his wings fluttered a little, their iridescence glinting in the light.
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:12 pm

"Emilie." She replied, still using a softer voice to keep from blowing out his ear drums.

"Whacha got there?"
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:14 pm

Eric wasn't sure if the woman was being condescending, the question seemed like one someone would as a child, and her soft tone made it seem like she was trying to handle one. "A pen. Duh." he said, a bit annoyed, "Do you need glasses or something?"
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:08 pm

"Nope. Just makin' conversation." Emilie stated, arching a brow with a bemused smirk.

"But I can leave ya alone if that's whacha want." She stated, shrugging. She wasn't much for verbal abuse, but unlike others, had too little 'give a fuck' to try to force other people to be respectful.
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:48 pm

Eric gave a bit of a sigh, feeling a bit foolish, "Sorry, I just get a lot of guff for my size," he said sincerely, "Not your fault, and I shouldn't take it out on you." It was difficult him being a guy and looking basically like a fairy, and he tended to get easily riled because of it.
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:04 am

"The closest thing I have to a friend is a boy who shrinks, and is naturally short. So i can't say I know how you feel, but I have an idea that it'd be rough.

You don't gotta worry about me pickin' on other mutants, least of all because they're small.

Flyin' prolly makes up for it though right? Everyone I have met with wings say it's tight." She says, trying to distract him.
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:08 am

"Most fliers probably don't have to worry about birds mistaken them for a meal," said Eric. He placed the pen down and took a seat, "Of course it's a lot easier to get into a movie free, and a candy bar will last a month or two." he added so not to seem completely negative about the whole thing.
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:08 am

"Bet you save a mint on toiletries too." She mused, obviously trying to lighten the mood.

"Have you gone into Maldon yet?"
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:30 am

"Eh, not yet," said Eric, "Still getting reactions from the people here. If mutants can't handle me I'm not going to try my luck with the locals." Of course he may go later in a seek and retrieve capacity, when he would be avoiding being seen. He bet he could find some things to borrow he couldn't find around the mansion.
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:55 pm

"They're pretty chill. Being British countryfolk, even of they found a person strange, generally they'd just avoid that person. Harassment requires effort." She laughed.
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:45 pm

"I'd rather get settled in first." he said honestly, "I'm still getting my room in order," He pulled the pen over to him and began unscrewing the tip cap. He didn't feel like sitting still, so he was examining the pen parts to see how good they were. After taking off the cap he pulled out the ink reservoir and the spring, and tested it between his hands to see how much it gave.
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:04 pm

"Need help? I can hold something so it doesn't fall into the grass and you gotta dig it out again. "
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:15 pm

Eric thought about it for a moment, he didn't like people thinking he wasn't able to handle things on his own, but he supposed Emilie wasn't trying to be condescending or anything, so he handed over the pen cap and the ink reservoir before sliding the plunger and catch from the remaining end. The plunger she could see as a switch for something. His 'dorm room' was made to his size, but the shelf had other compartments for other things, including a place to charge his iPhone, but he thought maybe he could build something that would allow him to slide it in into his room. At his size it was as good as a wide screen TV that doubled as a computer. Ideally he thought a spring loaded sliding compartment would work, but he would need to find the right parts to build it.
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:03 pm

"So, you tinker? " She asked, her cupped hand now rested on the bench with the little bits and bobbles he had discarded into it well within his reach.
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:14 pm

"Oh, god don't make a Tinkerbell reference," said Eric with much distain, "I build what I need because it's the only way I can get things, less about tinkering, more trying to live as normal a life as I can." He put the smaller pieces down before focusing on the clip on the pen, pulling it off the end of the case. The metal piece looked like a coat hanger hook once removed. He could probably find some use for it.
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:05 pm

"Wasn't going to." She added, sounding a bit exasperated.

"Have you considered asking Doc McCoy if he could shrink some shut for you?"
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:30 am

"He's already done a job getting me a room, anything else I want to be able to make myself," said Eric. He didn't want to be dependent on others to take care of him, else he would be bound to a caretaker like some sort of invalid.
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:46 am

Emilie furrowed her brow for a moment, before deciding to speak up.

"You know asking for help isn't a sign of weakness, right?

We all need help sometimes."
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:52 am

"I never said it was," said Eric a matter of factly, "but there is a difference between help and full dependence. The world isn't designed with me in mind, unless I want to stay here forever, I need to learn to take care of myself." It was less a matter of pride and more being realistic.
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:02 am

"There's nothing wrong with staying here forever either. Some people have to." She replied with a tone that was neither sympathetic nor accusatory.
Last edited by Emilie on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:15 am

"If it's all the same to you, I'd rather not." said Eric, equally unaccusatory. "My life, my choice." he added. He wasn't looking for sympathy, or someone to tell him things would be okay, he had already been through the whole grief thing, now he just wanted to move on with his life.
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:18 am

Emilie shrugged, looking at the pieces of the disassembled pen in her hand curiously.

"S'cool. You don't wanna be a part of the ohana club, I certainly ain't gonna be the one to twist yer arm on it."
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:14 am

"It's not to say I won't try to enjoy myself while I'm here," clarified Eric, "I just don't plan on being here forever." He thought this would be true of anyone who didn't plan on going into teaching. It was a school after all, what was the point he of learning if you never left it? "Anyway, I should be able to use these for some stuff," he said, sliding the parts back into the pen. "If you feel like doing me a favor, if you happen to find anything laying around, I would be grateful if you'd hang onto it for me."
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:15 am

"Sure, just as long as the trinkets and baubles ain't mine." She left, making a reference to the piles of crap currently hooked all over her 'utility' belt.
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:55 pm

"The School has some propane torches, if I can get a can, some screws, and some fireproof plaster, I should be able to put together a forge." said Eric, "Then I can start working with metal." It seemed something essential, he would need to be able to mold metals somehow. He would also need to make some weapons for himself, more for self defense then anything else. Many things liked to look at him as lunch, and having something would make him feel a bit better then going at it bear handed.
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:08 pm

"Just make sure you keep it in the metal shop. Big Boss is pretty forgiving of accidents based on powers but she might not turn a blind eye to the dorms going up in flames because you were making yourself a short sword. " She laughed.
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:27 pm

"I can work with that." Said Eric,"probably better to work in there anyway since all the materials will be there." He doubted the school would miss the small amounts of metal working resources he would use.
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:46 am

"Bet you could get a lot of good tips from the other machineheads in the shop too."
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:49 am

Eric flitted down to the pen parts and quickly put the pen back together, placing it to the side for now. "I'll have to do that, hopefully they take me seriously." He had his doubts that he would, but hopefully he could convince someone that he was capable enough to try. "So what's your story?" He asked, getting around to wondering what Emilie was doing at the institute. Obviously she was a mutant, but he assumed she was also studying something.
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:03 am

"Me? Little bit loser drifter, little bit hooker with a heart of gold. It's not very original and not all that interesting, because the universe doesn't like new variables." She laughed.
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:58 pm

"Says the girl talking to a five inch... sprite." replied Eric, hesitant to use the word 'fairy' . Sprite wasn't much better to be honest.
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:31 pm

"The fact there's even a word for what you are proves my point, neh? Nothing new under the sun."
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:16 am

"Fairies don't actually exist," retorted Eric, trying to make his point. "Imagination is limitless, when something out of imagination becomes reality, it's new." Just because there was a word for fairies didn't mean he wasn't something new, in fact many mutants he had seen here would count as 'new'.
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:22 am

"I think pretty much most of the student body who fought fae folk would disagree with you on that first point." She smirked. "I myself helped bag one of them holed up in the bathroom's water works."
Emilie
Student

Postby Eric Noir » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:02 am

Eric had heard of this, but he was still skeptical of it. Having not experienced it himself, for all he knew it was something else that people just associated with fairies, but was actually something else entirely. "I'm skeptical of that claim. I'm not a fairy, but look like one, so something looking like something else doesn't mean it is something else. But it doesn't really matter, there are plenty of weird things going on besides me. Anyway, what are you studying is what I was asking."
Eric Noir

Postby Emilie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:10 am

"Yea no. There was an intra-dimensional tear, which for some reason seem to be popping up like rabbits lately. They came flooding out of it.

Honestly, for a dude who just told me that the human imagination is limitless therefore life is, you'd think you'd be more open to the idea." She replied, smirking again.
Emilie
Student

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to The Gardens and Estate