Do Such Things To Ease Your Pain

The Estate's meticulously kept gardens, including a hedgemaze that students have occasionally described as "sadistic" and a sizable rose garden. Benches in shaded spots are plentiful, and the gardens are popular to study in on pleasant days. The nearby stables are still maintained with a number of well-heeled equines.

Do Such Things To Ease Your Pain

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:49 pm

At the indicated time, a car pulled up the gate and gained admittance as 'being requested by Miss Bell.' The driver pulled up to the dorms and got out to wait patiently.
Narrator
Site Admin

Re: Do Such Things To Ease Your Pain

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:55 pm

After not too long of a wait Miriam steps out of the front doors and heads down the short flight of stairs. She's carrying what seems to be an overnight bag that she hands to the driver before climbing into the car.
Miriam Bell
Student

High Concept: Sorrowful Telepath
Aspect: Powerful Enemies
Aspect: Structural Shadow

Postby Wanda Johansson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:13 pm

The driver takes the bag and puts it in the trunk before climbing back behind the wheel and driving off.

A short ways away, Wanda watches with some concern as Miriam gets into the car. As the car heads out the gate and down the road, Wanda takes to the air, tailing the car from overhead.
Wanda Johansson

High Concept: Storm Druid
Aspect: Child of Earth
Aspect: A Butterfly Flaps Her Wings
Aspect: Putting Down Roots
Aspect: Wrapped In The Leash

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:42 pm

The car takes her all the way to Heathrow where Miriam gets out, gets her bag and heads into the Terminal. She doesn't seem to have noticed she's being followed and here, in the crowd it's probably even less likely she'll be able to pick Wanda's mind out.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:45 pm

Wanda probably looks somewhat frazzled from flying, but that just makes her look like every other traveler in the place. She maintains her distance for the moment, doing her best to keep an eye on Miriam.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:48 pm

Miriam stops to look at the list of departures, pulling out her cellphone, presumably to double-check her flight number and goes to check in. After printing out her ticket she makes her way over towards security, balling up the receipt for her flight up in her hand and dropping it in a recycling bin.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:59 pm

Wanda does her best to nonchalantly grab the receipt out of the recycle bin, uncrumpling it and looking at it. There's no way she can beat a plane to Scotland, not dressed in a normal outfit at the very least. She looks at the destination again, shoves the receipt in her pocket and goes to the counter to book a seat on a flight to Edinburgh.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:41 pm

The earliest flight is, well,the one Miriam is on and, looking at the seat booking screen it's not the largest plane in the world... Security is no problem, but approaching the gate she can see Miriam sitting right there, looking at something on her phone and sipping on a coffee.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Wanda Johansson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:55 pm

Wanda stops at a bookstand out of sight, finding a newspaper and buying a snack. Flying, the riding the winds kind, always made her super hungry.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:11 pm

Luckily for Wanda, Miriam is one of the first people to board the plane in one of the priority groups. Unfortunately for her when she eventually makes it down to the plane's door she catches a glimpse around the corner of Miriam sitting in an aisle seat in first class and the amount of people behind Wanda don't exactly leave her much room to back off.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:40 pm

Any stalling is only going to draw attention to herself, so Wanda just goes with the flow of the crowd. Just another person trying to get to their seat as fast as they could and get out of everyone else's way.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:41 am

Wanda slowly makes her way forward as the line of people shuffles forward, occasionally coming to a halt as someone up ahead stows their carry-on. Miriam's eyes are wandering down the line of people when suddenly her phone buzzes. She picks it up and she frowns slightly at whatever message, but more importantly she's distracted by her phone as Wanda slips past her.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:56 am

Wanda lets out a sigh of relief, feeling a little bad at the moment, but burying it as she finds her seat and prepares for take-off.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:48 am

The flight itself is fairly unremarkable and while it's a small plane the most Wanda sees of Miriam during the flight is the occasional back of her head showing past the headrest. Pretty soon the plane has landed and people are deboarding. Miriam is one of the first people off the plane, one of the benefits of flying first class, and by the time Wanda manages to make her way to the terminal Miriam's nowhere to be seen.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:12 pm

Wanda guesses that Miriam either got a car or had another car pick her up, so she begins heading for the nearest exit and the parking garages and car rental lots.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:23 pm

When she gets to the rental lot she can't spot Miriam anywhere, but after a couple of minutes she steps out of an elevator and looks around in search for her rental. In the crook of her arm she's carrying a bouquet of flowers that she must have bought in the airport upstairs. A car a couple yards down from where Wanda is let's out a startling Beep that echoes through the garage as Miriam unlocks it remotely to try and find the right one.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:27 pm

Wanda does her best to make herself scarce, which isn't easy when you're as tall as she is. Finally she settles for being behind one of the support pillars several cars down from where Miriam's car sits.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:01 pm

Miriam, with no reason to suspect she's being followed, gets in the car and drives off, heading out of the garage.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:32 pm

Wanda takes off to follow, trusting in people's propensity to not look up and the fact that it's Scotland and likely cloudy to keep her hidden.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:51 pm

Miriam's rental is pretty generic and easy to lose track of, but following her isn't particularly hard. A couple people notice Wanda, but as long as she sticks more or less above Miriam's car it's pretty much impossible for her to be noticed by the other woman. As Miriam comes out of the airport she seems to pull onto the highway, headed south...
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:59 pm

From her vantage point, Wanda looks ahead briefly, trying to figure out where Miriam may be heading.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:31 pm

It's really hard to tell, especially once she gets out of the city the landscape is very rural. She keeps driving for over an hour, first heading inland, then slowly moving towards the coast again until she reaches a city that, especially from the air, looks almost schizophrenic. Most of it's outskirts are still red brick, only occasionally dotted with more modern buildings, huge areas look like old industrial areas, many of which seem abandon now. In contrast the city center looks modern, arcing metal and glass buildings that seem to stand in defiance of the industrial remnants with it's smoke stacks and broken windows that surround it. Miriam's car pulls off the highway and into a neighborhood that looks like it's never really seen better days to begin with, past a city sign that reads 'Newcastle upon Tyne'. Run-down and boarded up shops flank the street in desperate need of repairs. Here, where squat houses stand in cramped rows, Miriam pulls her car onto the curb opposite of one of the few spots where there's a break in the claustrophobic line of houses, a small row of worn grass framing a small church.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:47 pm

Wanda sets down a ways down the street, feeling a bit like a heel as she steps out of easy sight.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:57 pm

Miriam gets out of the car with the flowers and heads up the two worn out steps into the yard of the church and walks down the narrow strip of grass, disappearing out of sight as she walks down the side of the church.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:41 pm

Wanda leans against a wall, the flying getting to her again. Why was she here? Well, whatever the reason had been, she needs to see it through now. She floats back up into the air, taking some cover behind some clouds as she moves to keep an eye on things.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Whether it's the wind or her silhouette coming briefly into view against the sky as she ascend, but before she can rise too high she suddenly feels Miriam's voice ring out in her head.

"Wanda?"
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:44 pm

"Shit." With a heavy mental sigh, she responds mentally, Yes.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:15 pm

"What are you doing here?"

Down on the ground Miriam has stopped on the narrow patch of grass, craning her neck to try and spot Wanda.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:27 pm

"Floating at an indecent height and trying to make sure you're okay." There's some truth to the statement or at least Wanda believes it's true in some measure, even if it isn't the whole truth.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:55 pm

"That's a pretty tall order. Especially here..." she adds after a moment's hesitation.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:04 pm

"What is this place?" Wanda started floating down, but she was taking her time.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:26 pm

For a little while there is silence. When Wanda comes a little closer it becomes more obvious why Miriam has clamped down on her thoughts. There's a deep frown on her face and she looks almost a little scared, the fingers of the hand clutching the flowers are white.

"Do you really want to know?" she asks, sounding bitter.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:31 pm

"Yes," Wanda says, not actually having touched the ground quite yet. "But there's nothing that compels you to tell me."
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:41 pm

Miriam looks at Wanda for a a long time, her eyes much more pained than the rest of her is trying to make her look until she finally just turns around and walks down the narrow path, not turning her head to see if Wanda is following her. The path leads around the back of the church and to a small graveyard. She stops in front of a small plaque in the ground, not even a proper headstone, and with shaking hands places the flowers down next to the almost overgrown inscription.

Norma Bell
30 Oct 1999 - 12 July 2007
...Not my will, but thine be done.
Luke 22:42

"I'm sorry it's been a while..." she says quietly, lips pressed into a thin line. "I thought I'd be better than mum, but I guess I must have gotten distracted."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:47 pm

Once Wanda sees the inscription, she hangs back far enough to give at least the appearance of respect, but close enough that she's still a felt presence.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:35 pm

Miriam's back is tense, like she's not really sure what to do with Wanda standing right behind her. Her fingernails are digging into the palms of her hands as she tries to accept the fact that this moment has been invaded... shared... opened to somebody else. Part of her wants to just slam the door shut on this, turn around and leave, but it wouldn't be right to turn her back on her sister like that. All the tension leaves her like cut strings on a marionette and she sinks down to the ground, sitting down on the grass.

"Sorry I missed your birthday..." she starts, tears welling up in her eyes. "I wish I at least had a good excuse, but... I think I was just afraid of telling you about the last year, because... I don't know how you'd feel about some of the things I've done. I tried to make some friends. I even tried 'making' Will into a friend but... that didn't work. Will's... well I think you'd like him but deep down he's scared of me. Or of someone like me. Or what I am. I don't know. And Sam is... she's got a sister too, you know. I keep arguing with her. Maybe I'm just jealous but if I see the worst of what I could be in Will then I think I see the best I could be in her. What could have been..." she says, voice cracking. As she's talking can feel a shift... Almost like a change in air pressure, but even more ephemeral. Miriam's mind is letting go of it's inhibitions and defenses and the wave of sadness is almost palpable as it presses down on Wanda.

"Instead here I am and I just... can't make that connection anymore. I miss you so much and I'm scared that you're the only one who ever understood me. It's just easier to push everyone away! Easier to disappoint them and run away to someone who can keep me from seeing into their hearts. At least then I can pretend that it's not my fault... That I haven't lost something irreplaceable..."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:50 pm

Wanda absorbs the sadness, which causes a predictable response from her powers. In fits and starts, it begins to rain. Except over Miriam. The clouds threaten to close in, but Wanda forces them away with a hand extended up to the sky. Wanda lets it rain on herself though, standing just outside the ring of sunlight around Miriam.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:03 pm

"I miss you... And I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry that I'm not doing a good job living life for the both of us... But today you've kept me from screwing up even worse and that's good for something, right?" she takes a deep breath and let's out a shuddering sigh as she tries to compose herself at least a little bit. "This is Wanda... God knows what she sees in me. I know I'm too scared to look. But she makes some pretty good cookies, even for people who don't really deserve them..."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:34 pm

"Nice to meet you," Wanda says, moving to kneel next to Miriam, still trying to hold the storm in place. "Your sister's a pretty special person." She rests a hand gently on Miriam's back.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:42 pm

Miriam can't help but let out a slight sob and there's a wave of uncertainty and fear that washes over Wanda along with it. There's no sense to it, just a vague almost existential dread that sharing this moment, this feeling, is going to break something ineffably important and leave her lost in the dark. She feels herself leaning into Wanda as tears run down her cheeks and the patch of light they are in suddenly seems to grow so much brighter until the rain around them seems like expanding darkness around them and the gut-wrenching feeling tears Wanda forward...

For a moment up is left and down is backwards before light begins to creep in and paints everything in an otherworldly green shine. Buildings take shape in front of her, forming a strange mix of architectures and time-periods that crash into each other almost organically. Rumbling and churning it twists itself into the sky, roman columns next to glass and steel. Bays and arcades, balconies and colonnades, arches and window-fronts. Parts extend out into nothing, twist upside-down or coil back into the tower that's rising in front of a pale moon as clouds part around it.
Miriam Bell
Student

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to The Gardens and Estate