Do Such Things To Ease Your Pain

The Estate's meticulously kept gardens, including a hedgemaze that students have occasionally described as "sadistic" and a sizable rose garden. Benches in shaded spots are plentiful, and the gardens are popular to study in on pleasant days. The nearby stables are still maintained with a number of well-heeled equines.

Re: Do Such Things To Ease Your Pain

Postby Wanda Johansson » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:59 pm

Wanda frowns, taking in her surrounding. This was certainly not what she had expected, but she begins trying to make her way towards the tower.
Wanda Johansson

High Concept: Storm Druid
Aspect: Child of Earth
Aspect: A Butterfly Flaps Her Wings
Aspect: Putting Down Roots
Aspect: Wrapped In The Leash

Postby Miriam Bell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:13 am

It becomes obvious fast that this is nothing like the real world. Her footsteps make no sound and try as she might, she couldn't describe her immediate surroundings, despite the fact that there must be some kind of landscape surrounding the tower. Event he distance to the tower is more like in a dream. One moment she's slowly tracking her way towards it, the next she's approaching the alabaster stairs that lead up to a huge door made of dark, almost black wood, covered in bronze fittings and a heavy-looking knocker.
Miriam Bell
Student

High Concept: Sorrowful Telepath
Aspect: Powerful Enemies
Aspect: Structural Shadow

Postby Wanda Johansson » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:16 am

"I guess they way forward is clear," she says, walking up the steps. As she walks, in the nature of dream logic, her current outfit begins to wash into something entirely new. A loose gown of emerald green and royal blue begins to shimmer into being and Wanda automatically reaches down to lift it as she ascends the stairs, her feet now bare. She stops in front of the door, lifting the knocker to bang on the door. "Hello?"
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:06 pm

The knock echoes loudly and the large door swings open, into a wide corridor. The floor almost shimmers from the polished marble and gas-lights on the wall spring to flickering life. From somewhere deeper inside Wanda can hear a faint voice call out. It sounds like Miriam, but with a more sultry, almost harsh bend to it.

"Well hello there! It seems the mewling whelp has a visitor!"
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:16 pm

"Miriam has a visitor, if she's here, so you must be referring to the wrong person," she says, stepping through the door. As she does so, a crown of flowers appears in her hair.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:51 am

"Well, then you're here to see me." the voice echoes as Wanda makes her way down the corridor. Soon it opens into what almost seems like a ballroom with strips of curtains hanging down all over the room, creating a strangely swaying sea of fabric. Somewhere up near the ceiling a shadow glides among the strands, sending them swaying. "I'm the one who does all the heavy lifting around here anyway."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:56 am

"I highly doubt that," Wanda says, glaring at the shadow, "I know hot air when I see it."
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:08 am

"Of course you do!" the shadow laughs and then there's the sound of fabric being cut. Past the swaying strands of curtains Wanda can see some of the strands falling to the floor, gathering in a snaking pile before they suddenly begin to twitch. Coils of fabric pull themselves up, twisting themselves like a towel being wrung out to form limbs, tieing themselves together into some sort of cloth-spider. The thing leaps forward and lands in front of Wanda with a thud.

"But here I don't need to lie!" she proclaims, every sentence having an overly dramatic flair to it.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:11 am

"But you apparently feel the need for theatrics," Wanda says, crossing her arms. "Who are you?"
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:27 am

"I..." she starts before moving along the ceiling before beginning to maker her descent. Wrapping the curtain strands around her legs she begins to slide down, flipping upside down for a moment as she shoots Wanda a glance before flipping her leg free of the cloth and falling down, landing gracefully on top of the cloth spider. "...am Miriam Bell." she finishes, posing lasciviously. She does look like Miriam alright. Or like a version of Miriam anyway. Her makeup is heavier and she's wearing a pinstripe powersuit, although those usually don't have a corset built in or come with knee-high riding boots. Or a collar studded with pearls. Wrapped around her wrists are a strand of dark fabric each that disappear further into the room and towards the ceiling. "Like it or not."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:40 am

Wanda looks her over, "So then who is the 'mewling whelp' that you referred to earlier? Because obviously there's more than one person here." The way her body tensed, it was obvious she was prepared to do something, but whether it was fight or flight was unclear.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:49 am

"Oh she's upstairs. She doesn't come out much because she can't handle it. Isn't that right, Miriam?" she shouts over her shoulder, though there's no response.

"Pff! she dismisses the lack of response. "Tell me then, what are you doing here? Trying to pretend there's warmth and comfort in the world?" she asks, leaning over, one of the cloth-spider's 'legs' extending to give her something to lie on as she flicks a finger at the flowers in Wanda's hair. "Where's the real you?"
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:57 am

"You mean you don't recognize the real me?" Wanda reaches up to grab the hand flicking at her flowers, "I'm going to assume you mean my physical body, if that's what you're referring to, is right next to the real Miriam. Where it should be."
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:26 am

"No, silly. I mean the real you. The True Self!" Wanda takes 'Miriam's' hand and the other woman takes hold of her as well. At least for a moment. It feels like she's losing her grip but at the same time she's not as Miriam pulls her hand back and something comes with it. Another hand, followed by an arm, a shoulder, a whole nother person.

The Other Wanda is pulled onto the cloth-spider and turns around as she falls back into a comfortable position next to Miriam. She's wearing an angry smirk on her face that's half concealed by her hair falling over it, leaving only dark shadows. Her clothes are similar to Wanda's, flowing robes wrapped around her but much more see-through and leaving little to the imagination. On her head instead of a wreath of flowers is a crown of thorny brambles. "I'm the one responsible for everything around me. Not a fly that doesn't throw the air in disarray that I have to fix, lest it'll unleash hurricane." she says in the same stiltedly dramatic tone, although she still sounds like Wanda. "You should thank me, really. All this work and sacrifice just so I can feel better about myself and how important I truly am." she brags.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:30 am

Wanda actually looks horrified, but that rapidly turns into anger that she directs at 'Miriam'. "What have you done?!"
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:38 am

"What did I do?" she laughs. "This is the real you, free from all the restraints and lies we tell ourselves!" she says, running her hand over the other Wanda's shoulder.

"The one who'd rather leave the snow be and enjoy herself because she knows it's not that important. Because I don't have to delude myself." Wanda's counterpart adds as she leans back, sprawling herself across Miriam's lap.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:55 am

"This 'me' is a rövhål!" She says, planting her feet. The cloth strips that come into contact with her briefly turn into vines before returning to cloth as they drift out of contact. "She is the thing that Miriam *hates* about other people."
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:05 am

"One truth doesn't break the other." Miriam says as runs her hand through the other Wanda's hair.

"We followed Miriam because we were jealous. Because we didn't trust her."

"And you were right. I only changed my mind because I felt guilty. And not even towards you. What I really wanted to do was spend the weekend with somebody else. Several of them even." Miriam almost brags.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:14 am

Wanda takes a deep breath, "And being right doesn't make what I did any less wrong. I'm aware of that." She's obviously hurt by Miriam's admission, but the arms make that stubborn cross again and the scent of open fields and fresh rain blows through the room.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:49 am

"But maybe you would have liked to come along?" she purrs, leaning down to brush her lips against the other Wanda's in an almost-kiss. She doesn't seem to react to the scented breath of air, but after a couple moments the strands of cloth tied around her wrists goes taut and she's yanked into the air, suspended among the cloth strands as she seems to try and struggle against the pull drawing her somewhere towards the center of the ceiling.

"NO!" she screams. "You can't handle being in charge! I am a shadow! The true self!" She begins to convulse as her appearance grows more and more grotesque. A silver mask forms over her face in the style of a masquerade ball, her suit growing more exaggerated while the neckline plunges further until it's less cleavage and more side-boob. A she's kicking at the air her legs elongate into scissor blades, the handle cupping her hips as she slams herself down to the ground, bladed legs piercing into the polished marble floor.

The cloth-spider still carrying the other Wanda climbs into the cloth ribbons, Shadow Wanda still holding on to it, apparently not minding this at all.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:05 am

A gust of wind slams straight down into Shadow Wanda as Wand draws on her powers, "We are *not* finished!" The ground immediately around her feet tries to ripple into dirt, fighting briefly with Miriam's mindscape as something in Wanda asserts itself. She glowers at the 'new' creature, "It seems the illusions are failing now."
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:09 am

The gust of wind tears at Wanda's Shadow but she manages to hang on to the spider. It does keep them from climbing further away though.

"You're right! We're only just getting started." Miriam's Shadow sneers and she raises one foot and stomps it down, aimed right at Wanda. When did she get so huge anyway?
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:22 am

Wanda backpedals, barely getting out of the way of the giant leg. "You are aware that size isn't important? Because it doesn't matter how large you inflate your sense of importance, you'll always be in last place. You're not the whole of Miriam, no matter how much of a fool you make of yourself." And that's when Wanda puts her own foot down.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:32 am

The scissor-blade cracks the whole tile of marble with it's impact, revealing the dirt underneath and the bits of grass and greenery sprout from it as Wanda tries to force her own will on the mindscape.

"What does it matter how much more there is when I am the one in charge?" she gloats, though despite her words the bonds around her wrists are still there, even if they're slack right now.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:42 pm

Wanda raises her voice, "There seems to be someone else here who objects to your characterization of your importance. And if it takes a fresh morning rain or a rolling thunderstorm to wake her up, then I hope you're prepared for the weather." She steps forward, one foot making contact with some of the dirt and that scented breeze blows through again, bringing with it the sound of a bright spring rain.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Miriam's Shadow looks like she's about to say something when she's suddenly yanked off her feet by the bonds around her wrists. It's hard to keep track of her among the swaying bits of fabric but eventually she slams into the ceiling where the fabric binding her wind through a chandelier of some sort, disappearing upwards. Without any slack to them she's pulled against the gold and crystal fixtures, although she's still flailing, her leg cutting down bands of fabric around her that slowly sink to the ground and slither towards Wanda.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:37 pm

Wanda's so busy keeping an eye on Shadow Miriam against the chandelier and looking for where Shadow Wanda has disappeared to that she doesn't notice the strips slinking towards her. The rain pushes its way into the room, beginning to soak her as it moves forward.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Narrator » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:27 pm

Where the rain hits the strands of cloth they slowly turn into vines. Further in the room Wanda can spot Shadow Wanda on her strange mount climbing along, making their way to a large archway she can briefly glimpse in the distance. Before she can act on that though the cloth snakes are on her and begin to wrap themselves around her legs.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Wanda Johansson » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:41 pm

As the cloth snakes grab her, Wanda screams, mostly out of surprise. She bends down, trying to strip the things off her legs as she continues to push the rain further across the room.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:45 pm

The 'snakes' are deceptively strong, but they seem to be moving with little intelligent thought behind them, occasionally attacking each other as Wanda pulls the off her legs. Above her Miriam's Shadow is still struggling, trying to cut down more fabric.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:02 am

Since Shadow Miriam seems held, even if she's struggling, Wanda opts to chase Shadow Wanda. She starts sliding between the cloth, running towards the archway that Shadow Wanda and her mount are heading for, dragging the weather along behind herself.
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:11 am

The archway is lined by symbols and writing that Wanda has no time to really take in as she rushes after her Shadow. Through the huge doorway is a wide spiral staircase and way up ahead she can spot the spider-construct. Heading up the steps it soon seems like there's no end to them, just spiraling further and further up until it feels like she's just walking in place while the staircase rotates around her...

Just when she might consider giving up she comes to a landing with another doorway. This one leads into what seems like a cathedral at first glance. All around the room are stained glass windows. Many of them are broken, colorful. glass shards just hanging in the air, yet still somehow producing images of scenes that slowly move. All of them are showing people, some panicked, others catatonic, a couple angry ones with faces full of hate while others yet seem to be pleading. Their eyes seem to move around the room by the drifting movement of the floating glass, turning towards Wanda when she enters but soon moving back towards the center of the room.

There sits a large stone altar, crude and almost pagan-seeming in it's roughness. Lieing on it is the unmoving form of a young girl, maybe 8 or 9 years old and splayed across her is Miriam, quietly sobbing as she's clutching the girl.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:08 pm

Wanda slows down as she takes the scene in, but as soon as she sees Miriam, she rushes forward. "Miriam?"
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:48 pm

There's a jingle of glass as the windows turn their eyes on Wanda again, following her as she hurries through the room. Miriam lifts her head slightly at her name being called out, with an almost scared look on her face and when Wanda gets within a couple of feet of her she suddenly jumps up and hurries to the other side of the altar. "No!" she shouts out, torn between wanting to keep her distance from Wanda but not daring to move too far away from her sister. Now that she's closer Wanda can see that there's funeral shrouds draped over the girl's body that disappear into holes all around the edge of the altar, disappearing down to where they are hanging from the ceiling in countless strips of fabric.

"Go away! Don't touch her!" Miriam pleads.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:58 pm

"Miriam, it's me..." Wanda takes a couple of steps forward, leaving a trail of water on the floor where her gown dragged the ground. "What is this place?"
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:03 pm

"My mind..." she says meekly. "You're not supposed to be here. No one is supposed to be here." despite looking like normal, Miriam is talking like she's much younger. "You're supposed to talk to the other one."

When Wanda steps closer Miriam suddenly reaches out for her sister and pulls her off the altar and into her arms, trying to keep her away from Wanda, slowly backing away and pulling more of the black funeral shroud out from the altar.
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:09 pm

"The other one is indisposed at the moment," she says, trying to be soothing, "I'd much rather talk to you. What happened to your sister?"
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Miriam stops when Wanda does, although she is still kind of trying to wrap herself and her sister up in the cloth she's pulled out.

"She... died." she very carefully tells Wanda. "A man hit her with his car." she says, glancing at one of the stained glass images showing the face of a man distorted into an angry, almost lecherous grimace. "I called for help and people came running but they just stared and I yelled at them to do something but I didn't know what... I didn't know what to make them do to help..."
Miriam Bell
Student

Postby Wanda Johansson » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:10 pm

"And that's not your fault," Wanda says, holding out her hands. "And if anyone told you it was your fault, they're full of shit."
Wanda Johansson

Postby Miriam Bell » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:27 pm

"I know... But I could still see it in their minds. She thought it was Norma's fault. That she must have been playing in the street." she says, pointing at one of the windows.

"He thought it was funny that one of mum's clients ran over one of her 'bastard children'." she goes on, pointing at another.

"They were relieved it wasn't anybody they knew."

"They were annoyed they'd be late for work."

"They were fascinated by how much blood there was."

She stops for a moment and looks over at Wanda. "I didn't tell her..." she says, pointing at the floor underneath the altar "...when I put her in charge. I thought maybe it'd be easier then. But I think she knows better than anybody."
Miriam Bell
Student

PreviousNext

Topic attributes:

Return to The Gardens and Estate