[Relationship] "And that means comfort."

Though many students might prefer going to London, Maldon provides closer amenities for those without a car or unwilling to pay for a cab. Several pubs are available, though the Rose and Crown is notable for having been where Excalibur spent a good deal of their downtime. Also of note is the Plume Library, home to many rare books.

[Relationship] "And that means comfort."

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:09 am

Basil drove as always. He drove Colette into town to a little row of townhouses, pulling his vehicle into a carport under one of them.

Once they were stopped, he looked over at her with a weird sort of a look on his face, though Colette would know it as his anxiety.

"Soooo.... This is the place..." He replied as he unbuckled himself. "Shall we take a look inside?"
Basil Benson
Student

High Concept: Unwitting Heir to a Secret Legacy
Aspect: More Money Than Sense
Aspect: Ward of Unwanted Protectors
Aspect: Inconsistently Invisible
Aspect: Weirdness Magnet
Aspect: Covert Pervert

Re: "And that means comfort."

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:28 am

Colette was only too content to be driven, it meant that she was free to look in whatever direction she wished, taking in all of the shops and pubs they passed along the way. And it was another service he could provide for her. It wasn't until they pulled into the parking area that she too began to look a little nervous. This was a big step in their relationship, her first relationship. And even as devoted and sure as she felt, there would always be those nagging doubts that things couldn't be this good, this easy. She reached over and gave Basil's hand a little pat after he spoke.

"Well we've come all zis way, it would be a shame not to." Of course, once she was out of the vehicle she was staring up at the house.

"Is zis... is it ze first floor or ze second?" She asked.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

High Concept: Dreamer Despite the Odds
Aspect: Density Is Not a Formality
Aspect: Everything is Sexier In France
Aspect: Beware the Cute Ones
Aspect: Hair of Goo, Heart of Gold

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:38 am

"Ah! I suppose this would be considered the first floor?" He replied as they stared at the exterior awkwardly together.

"Anyways, it's the ground level. Through the little door there is a hallway and a water closet, another little door out to the back garden, and a stair case that takes us up to the first living area, and eventually second half, or the third floor. However you want to look at it."

He paused for a moment. "We can always go back to the school and pretend I didn't do this..." He offered.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:34 am

Colette looked a little confused. "Ze people on ze second and third floors would allow zis? Zat does not seem like it would offer much privacy."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:53 pm

Basil smirked, holding in a laugh that she'd likely find condescending.

<"Come Madame. Let Matou show you what he's found for you."> He added, opening the door for her.

He'd lead her up the stairs he'd mentioned previously, mostly because she'd said she didn't much care about the back garden or bathrooms.

What Basil had chosen was a cozy townhouse on Gate Street Mews, small enough not to be overwhelming and offensive to Colette's senses, but large enough they'd never have to move again if she didn't want to.

Just off High Street, the townhouse was within walking distance of 'the action', though Colette would either have to rely on the bus or Basil to make it back to the university grounds.

The first floor had a study, a kitchen with a breakfast bar, a dining area and a living room. The next floor up was three bedrooms and a full bathroom to be shared by the three. Each major room had a window that let light in from either the street or the back garden, thanks to the business of the layout. The floors were hardwood in a dark stain, not a touch of carpet in the place. The walls were all a very standard, paintable white.

It even had an electric fireplace, as cheesy as it might have seemed.

There was some tools left behind by someone who seemed to abandon a project midway.

"I've been having some things done around the place. Got the countertops changed out to marble, bit of soundproofing...

You should let me know how you want these rooms painted or if the flooring needs to come up before we move in."

He stated plainly, awaiting her reaction.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:17 am

Colette was quiet during the tour, being shown the various amenities and taking it all in. Until the third floor it didn't seem to get through to her that this wasn't a building that they would be sharing with other people. It was almost too much for her to take in. Most of her life she'd spent living in a loft about the size of just one of the floors, and now she was being told they would have all three. It was all just too perfect. She turned toward Basil with an expression that looked as though she were close to tears, before she threw herself at him in a strong (for her) embrace. He'd done well, it seems.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:59 am

Compared to what Basil was used to this place was quite small, though research suggested to him that it was about average size for a British family of middle-class status with multiple children. He didn't suspect that would ever happen, but he wanted to be prepared if it did. He didn't want anything to upend Colette save for an active choice on her own part.

Basil worked his arms up from around her embrace, and draped them around her.

"...... I'm not hearing colour suggestions." He quipped.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:25 am

Colette's almost-sobs broke into laughter, the girl pulling her head back with a smile. "Anyzing but pink. Ozerwise it will be your turn to be unable to see me."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:26 am

"I'll handle it, if you wish... But you must tell me if you do not approve.

Also, I'll be decorating the bathroom, the study, and the smallest bedroom to my tastes....

presuming that is alright of course! " He blurts out at the end.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:42 pm

"Mmm, perhaps a soft blue or green for ze bedroom? Somezing... calming. To be honest, I never zought I would have a place where I would be allowed to paint ze walls, I had never considered colours very much."

Colette smiled to Basil and gently stroked his cheek. "I am certain zat you will be amazing, Basil. And I would like it very much if your tastes were reflected as well. I would very much enjoy stepping into ze study and taking a step into your world. It would be very comforting."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:05 pm

"Oh it will be to me. But the darkness in the edges of my soul personified onto wallpaper sounds like something that would make you very uncomfortable." He joked.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:16 pm

“Oh nonsense. I shall simply be your candle in ze dark, and you will be my matou noire in ze flower garden.” She didn’t feel the need to point out that she’s seen inside of Basil’s head in room form before, since that was not a pleasant memory for him. And perhaps not her proudest moment either.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:56 pm

Basil smirked.

"Sure you want to go with that metaphor?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:18 am

Colette tilted her head slightly. "... is it because cats sometimes use ze flower garden as a litter box?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:29 am

Basil chuckled.

"I meant more that cats get into all sorts of trouble in the garden. You let them go and play and who knows when they're going to come back again, and in what sort of condition."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:46 am

"Well zat just makes it more exciting, does it not? I considered using a raven as my example, but zen I would be begging to be brought shiny zings." Which, Basil might know, wasn't Colette's thing. Still, she gave her lover a gentle squeeze, and thought hard about how to express what came next, in a way that Basil would accept most. She was still learning how to best show her appreciation without actually saying thank you.

"I am... beyond pleased wiz all of zis Basil. You have done exceptionally well. As you often do, but even more so wiz zis."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:02 pm

Basil froze for a moment, which might have been a sign she still hadn't hit the mark, but then he spoke again and the words he said next might explain his apprehension.

"If I did well, then I'll need you to sign some paperwork assigning the property rights to you."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:44 am

It was Colette's turn to look apprehensive. Basil had told her his history, and she had shared her concerns. And while she trusted him to look after himself and not get swindled by a pretty face, there was still that nagging sense of guilt that she was exploiting this wonderful young man. She reached out for Basil's hand, wanting to hold it as she spoke, taking a breath to steady herself - even if she didn't need to breathe, it somehow helped her calm herself. There didn't seem any reason to rehash her concerns about him looking after himself or spoiling her.

"This is a gift far, far greater than any I have every received before, and likely ever will, so please forgive me if I seem unappreciative, I had not expected zis." She managed a little laugh despite herself, looking down. "Zough really, should I have expected anyzing less from you? Ze man who never ceases to amaze me." She hesitated for a moment.

"I... would sign ze papers. I will. But... could we not boz be named upon zem?" She gave Basil's arm a pre-emptive squeeze, already anticipating a negative reaction. "You wish to care for me, to see to my needs, yes? Zis home, it will involve many matters zat I have no knowledge of. Repairs, taxes... if you are an owner as well, you will be able to deal wiz zese issues wizout ze red tape of contractors and bureaucrats needing to speak to ze property owner, yes?"

She opened her mouth to say something else, but then a thought occurred to her. "Basil, my matou, please forgive me but I must ask. Is zis to ensure zat what occurred wiz your Oxford apartment cannot happen again?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:09 am

"Yes." Basil replied honestly.

"If something were to happen to me and we co-owned the property, they could force quick liquidation and while you'd still be able to claim some of the funds of the sale, you'd be homeless in the interim time. I'm not going to allow that.

If something happens between us... if it doesn't work out, then I trust you to do the right thing. Even if you didn't, losing the apartment would be the least of my worries. But if some git blows up the library while I'm still inside, the situation would be much much worse on you."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:28 am

Somehow, this explanation made Colette feel more at ease, and her posture and reflection reflected this. Without any further argument she leaned in closer and placed a gentle kiss to his cheek, playing with his hair a bit with her fingers.

"In zat case, we have work to do, do we not?" Her concerns were being replaced by giddiness, her fairy tale really was coming true.
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:50 am

"Mmmhmm." He replied, sounding relieved. He expected more of a fight than that.

"I will build a home for you so cozy, you will never want to leave.

But you'll have to because they're not going to let you get away with satellite study from 8 kilometers away."

He seemed jovial, but then his attitude got serious again.

"It's Passover in a few days..."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:28 pm

In truth Colette wanted to argue about it, it was far too generous, too much too soon. And she would likely feel guilty over it for some time. But in the end the decision would have been the same regardless of time, and Basil was correct - no matter what happened between them or troubles befell him, he would always have a sanctuary here.

"Ah but if I never leave, zen I cannot be surprised as to what I come home to, no? A kettle already on, or popcorn made and movie ready to stream, or a smoking jacket wiz nozing underneaz." She teased, though her smile faded slowly as the conversation got more serious.

"Do you zink I would make zings too awkward were I to attend?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:06 am

"Other than the fact that you are still a gentile and will never not be?

No. Pesach is important, but it is not forbidden for gentiles to participate. "
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:13 pm

"Not forbidden, but perhaps not welcome." Colette mused aloud. "Basil, your relationship wiz your family is important to me. I know zat I may never be accepted by your grandmozer, but I will do what I can to minimize ze wedge I cause. If zis means keeping ze house a secret, or not attending, I will play my part wizout offense."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:49 pm

"My grandmother is old. Likely, only a decade or so left of her life. And who knows if she'll still be her for all of it?

But we have the rest of our lives ahead of us. I'm not spoiling that over the acceptance of a woman who's acceptance will be a moot point, no matter how integral she may have been to my upbringing.

I'm not going to force you to go. But I also don't want you to feel you can't come either."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:19 pm

"Well, zis is true. But as you said, if you do not zink zat she will be around for long, zat is not much time zat we must spend... playing pretend, to appease her. Ideally I would like to endear myself to her but as you know her better zan I, you know whezer or not zis is even possible."

Colette gently rubbed Basil's shoulders, doing her best to be reassuring. "I will not be offended if you would like to spend some time wiz your family but avoid ze drama zat my presence would bring. I have you for zree hundred and sixty-four days a year, I can spare you for an afternoon, no?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:34 pm

"You will never appease her, because I will not allow you to." Basil replied as politely as he could given the situation. "I will not allow you to be brushed aside for someone else's comfort.

You may be able to find yourself endeared to her, but it would be a fight and it's not a battle I would expect you to enter into.

Also, it's eight days." He commented on the 'afternoon' bit. "Lots of our holidays are multi-day affairs. I'm not abandoning you for things that there's no reason you are left out of other than an old woman's stubbornness."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:51 am

"You're not abandoning me. I still have my schooling to consider, I could... what is ze phrase, double double on my studies before ze end of ze school year? I am a big girl, I can look after myself for a week. We can video chat and text eachozer too..."

She tried to give Basil a reassuring smile. "I could just tell you not to go, or zat I am going wiz you. But I want what is best for boz of us, not just what is best for me. If I demand zat you remain here, you may be pleased at first, but ze guilt would gnaw at you. And I cannot begin to imagine how many phone calls you would get. How could we enjoy Passover togezer like zat? If I went wiz you, you would have to see and hear your grandmozer's disapproval of me, and feel obligated to speak up on my behalf. Zat would not make for an enjoyable holiday for eizer of us."

She fidgeted a bit, the subject not an easy one for her to discuss. "Basil, I do not want you to do anyzing that will cause a... rift between you and your family. I grew up wiz zis, it is not pleasant. As much as my mozer loves my father, and me, zere is a sadness wizin her zat is still zere, even after so many years. I do not wish for ze same to happen to you."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:18 am

Basil had that look of anxiety on his face that he often had, and sighed.

"You're not wrong that I would feel guilty... but I feel equally guilty leaving you here."
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:57 am

"Leaving me here... in ze brand new house zat you bought for me. Oh no, woe is me."
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:13 pm

"The house won't be finished by then. You will be alone in the dorms. "
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:45 pm

"Wiz ozer students, and my studies, and many zings to distract me." Colette tilted her head slightly.

"What would you have done had I decided to go home for ze summer, instead of taking summer classes?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:35 pm

"Taken summer classes myself." Replies the twenty year old who just finished his undergrad because he was boring.

"Bubbe didn't raise a lazy boy. "
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Colette Rosenhof » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:42 pm

"Mmm, my point exactly. If you can distract yourself wiz your studies in my absence, zen I can do ze same, no? It is only a week, zat is no time at all. Maybe if everyzing goes very well for you I can come for an afternoon or somezing, and test ze waters?

"Part of a healzy relationship is being able to spend some time apart, no?"
Colette Rosenhof
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:27 pm

"As you wish, Madame." He relented, a strang, bittersweet expression on his face.
Basil Benson
Student

Topic attributes:

Return to Downtown Maldon