Close to the Edge, Down by the River

Though many students might prefer going to London, Maldon provides closer amenities for those without a car or unwilling to pay for a cab. Several pubs are available, though the Rose and Crown is notable for having been where Excalibur spent a good deal of their downtime. Also of note is the Plume Library, home to many rare books.

Re: Close to the Edge, Down by the River

Postby Ryn » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:53 pm

"I was told this is fashion. Able. Fashionable." she says, uncertain. She shouldn't care what anybody thinks, especially not about her clothes. And yet she's concerned about a mortal's judgement. A very specific mortal, but still. It makes her feel exposed in a way she never has before. More than if she was wearing nothing really. She did not expect it to be this hard to... wear clothes. It's really very stupid.
Ryn

Postby Katarina Kane » Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:02 pm

"No, it's just...well, you never seemed interested in that. Before," Katarina, said, awkwardly.

"Is fashion more...commonplace, here?" she asked Tosh and Ashlie, attempting to keep her composure. "Perhaps it is another...affect of being outside of one's own universe."
Katarina Kane

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:21 pm

"Hard to say without a comparison, but I wouldn't say so? As with everything, some people care about it more than others." Ashlie shrugs slightly.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Ryn » Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:25 pm

Ryn knew this was a bad idea. It's making Katarina act odd and being uncomfortable means she's on the verge of being angry. Angry at her clothes in this case.

"I'll take it off." she decides and moves to do exactly that, ripping the small jacket off her back and tossing it. Will's only saved from landing in the muck by Ashlie reaching out to catch it. Meanwhile Ryn seems prepared to strip out of the rest of her clothes right then and there.
Ryn

Postby Katarina Kane » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:47 pm

"Ryn, stop," Katarina said, her voice echoing with reverb. "It's fine. You're fine. It's just...surprising, is all. I've never seen you care about your appearance..."

Other than you glasses, she thought, but you don't point out someone's weaknesses in front of other people!

"Did something happen to your suit?"
Katarina Kane

Postby Ryn » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:01 pm

Ryn freezes, the top two buttons of her blouse undone.

"It was waterlogged, dirty and torn." she points out. "And I don't." But you do. Unfortunately, the fearless Deva finds herself incapable of saying so out loud. Words seem the only thing that ever get caught in her throat.
Ryn

Postby Katarina Kane » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:13 pm

"Well, there's nothing wrong with wanting a set of clean clothes," Katarina said, gesturing to her still soaked and beer-stained outfit. "And we make do where things must."

Katarina took the jacket from Ashlie, and draped it over Ryn's shoulders. "It does suit you, after all. I'll have to look for better people to mug, next time."
Katarina Kane

Postby Ryn » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:34 pm

A tiny smile creeps onto Ryn's lips as a sudden warm comes over her at that; and not because of the added layer of clothing. She gets it just a tiny bit, even if it's her opinion that Katarina looks good regardless of the clothes she's wearing. Still, maybe she wears 'fashion' for that different kind of warmth. Not that she understands what reaction should be elicited from her to provide it, but one step at a time. Easier to stick to the plain truth for now.

"Okay. But you don't need fashion to look good."
Ryn

Postby Katarina Kane » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:53 pm

"I know about three dozen fashion magazine editors who would disagree with you," Katarina laughed. "They'd probably argue you need to discard your wardrobe every six weeks, if they could somehow convince you to do it."
Katarina Kane

Postby Ryn » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:31 pm

"Then they are fools." she nods solemnly.

"Was the machine helpful with the passage?" she wonders, unclear on whether or not she means Ashlie or her detectors.
Ryn

Postby Katarina Kane » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:18 am

"Yes and no. We learned things, but that didn't lead to an immediate solution. The team here doesn't think it's a good idea to point their tech at something they don't understand. We're going to have to go back and see if we can't seal it up from our end -- regroup in 48 hours if nothing in the storeroom can figure this out."
Katarina Kane

Postby Ryn » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:49 am

Ryn nods.

"I can guard our side while you look for a solution."
Ryn

Postby Katarina Kane » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:04 am

"I'm not going to leave you standing outside for two days, Ryn," Katarina laughed. "We can just tape it off and go home."
Katarina Kane

Postby Ryn » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:52 am

"I really don't mind. But okay." Acting more human seems to make Katarina happy and even Ryn recognizes that sitting by the sea for two full days is, well, not. And unlike when they set off this morning, things are less awkward, so maybe being near her isn't something to try and avoid anymore?
Ryn

Postby Katarina Kane » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:21 am

"Besides, you have to at least tell me what happened so I can write in the report. Oops, I mean so you can write it in your report," Katarina teased.
Katarina Kane

Postby Ryn » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:05 pm

Ryn looks sullen, straying dangerously close to a pout. "You don't have to write my pape-- Reports." Normally the implication would be that Ryn would do it herself, but Katarina gets the distinct impression that Ryn would just continue to invite any potential consequences. She'd rather draw ire to herself than burden Katarina. She might also feel just the tiniest bit of guilt about Katarina picking up her slack, even if it's slack she considers stupid and pointless.
Ryn

Postby Katarina Kane » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:46 pm

"Someone's got to keep you out of trouble," Katarina smirked.
Katarina Kane

Postby Ryn » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:39 pm

"Impossible." A grin breaks through the dour expression. "Ready to return home?"
Ryn

Postby Katarina Kane » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:07 pm

"Absolutely. And here's hoping we won't need to go back to the future," Katarina nodded.
Katarina Kane

Postby Ryn » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:16 am

Ryn nods. "Oh." She turns and looks at Ashlie. "Return this to the Morrigan and her retinue. Tell them... their help was appreciated." Then she does actually strip out of her clothes, though thankfully she seems to be wearing a tanktop and shorts underneath made of the same smooth black fabric Katarina has seen her wear before. She bunches up the clothes and hands them to the living machine.
Ryn

Postby Will Stanton » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:03 am

"What a weird pair," the sentient jacket said to the robot as the two refugees from the '80s departed.
Will Stanton
Student

High Concept: Pillsbury Clayboy
Aspect: Needs to be Useful/Used
Aspect: Out of Place, Out of Time
Aspect: Unique Worldview
Aspect: Big Ball of Trauma
Aspect: Open-Hearted

Previous

Topic attributes:

Return to Downtown Maldon