A Darkened Basement

Though many students might prefer going to London, Maldon provides closer amenities for those without a car or unwilling to pay for a cab. Several pubs are available, though the Rose and Crown is notable for having been where Excalibur spent a good deal of their downtime. Also of note is the Plume Library, home to many rare books.

A Darkened Basement

Postby Narrator » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:17 pm

He descended the stairs into the basement. The rest of the house was a shell, burned out by something in its past. What is was, he didn't particularly care, it suited his purposes. No one would be looking here for him, at least no one of the Life & Light. There was a sound on the stairs as the flunky, his name didn't matter, followed him. "Is there anything you require, Master?"

He pondered just how many things he 'required' for his ascent to his rightful place, but that was not what the flunky was asking. He outlined some wishes for the flunky to fulfill in order of importance. The flunky bobbed, "I'll get to work as soon as possible. What should we do about the weaver?"

Ah, the weaver. The individual who had given him the spark of life necessary to navigate out of the nameless hell, even if she wasn't aware that that was what she had done. He would deal with her in time, perhaps properly 'thank' her for her assistance. Still, the last time he'd moved too soon, he'd been imprisoned. So he made his wishes clear to the flunky. "I see. But..." An upraised hand and the flunky's eyes turned completely black and he began to choke. The hand remained upraised a moment longer before lowering it. The flunky collapsed to the floor and gasped for air as his eyes returned to normal. "Understood, Master. We will watch and wait. I'll go enact your will."

The flunky rushed up the stairs and out of his presence. He looked around the basement and pondered the simple life there. The life that was slowly dying as he set down his own roots. He would deal with it all, in time, but careful and measured was what was required. Haste would make waste and he'd already wasted more than enough time in his prison. The board was almost set and then he would start making his moves.
Narrator
Site Admin

Re: A Darkened Basement

Postby Narrator » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:12 pm

*** Sometime later ***

The creature bowing and scraping behind him smelled of death and the kill. This suited him just fine, of course, he couldn't be too choosy when it came to servants. His scent was well-associated with the purpose for which he was intended. He said something to the creature, choosing his words precisely and carefully.

"Of course, exalted one," the thing growled, keeping its eyes lowered, "I can commence the hunt immediately."

He scratched his chin, pondering whether to respond in the affirmative. The pieces were spread out before him on the metaphysical chess board. One piece moved wrong could set him back for quite some time. If he moved this rook for their knight, was he weakening their position or his? The moves processed in his head, feints and counters of a game older than history.

Finally, satisfied, he spoke to the creature again. "I will do as you will. My hunt will not fail." With a graceful, quick motion, the creature stood and ascended the stairs of the basement, passing out of sight. In his mind, the rook began to move.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Narrator » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:14 pm

The entity was unhappy. Strictly speaking, he was rarely happy, so maybe it was more appropriate to say he was 'displeased'. He had summoned the rook back to answer for this failure. He didn't even bother to look at her as she knelt. He let her suffer in his presence, feeding on her growing nervousness. Finally, he spoke to her, his displeasure grating on her ears before he stopped and turned to look expectantly at her.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Isolde Schwarz » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:40 pm

She grits her teeth, choking back what she'd like to say.

"I have not failed. The hunt continues. I choose the form of the hunt. That is how it has always been."
Isolde Schwarz

High Concept: Broken Fairy Tale
Aspect: Older Than She Looks
Aspect: Steeped in Blood
Aspect: Ledger Wiped Clean
Aspect: Guardian of the Child

Postby Narrator » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:43 pm

The entity frowned at her and responded curtly. His hands folded behind his back and he started pacing as he lectured her.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Isolde Schwarz » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:52 pm

"It was not fruitless. I have one among them now. I can feel it in her. She will... bloom."
Isolde Schwarz

Postby Narrator » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:58 pm

The entity considered that, a second rook of indeterminate color appearing on the board. His displeasure abated somewhat as he spoke again.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Isolde Schwarz » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:03 pm

"She is vulnerable, and she wants so very badly. She is already falling."
Isolde Schwarz

Postby Narrator » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:29 pm

The entity seemed to consider that and it soothed his displeasure. He said something and then nodded in satisfaction.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Isolde Schwarz » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:08 pm

"I do as I have always done, exalted one."
Isolde Schwarz

Postby Narrator » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:15 pm

The entity regarded her for a long moment and then made a dismissive gesture, turning his back to her again.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Isolde Schwarz » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:18 pm

Gritting her teeth again, she rises and makes her way out.
Isolde Schwarz

Postby Narrator » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:15 am

*** Same Place, Another Time ***

The woman in a business suit picked her way down the stairs into the darkened basement, looking with apparent distaste at the surroundings, "You deserve better. Why are you not some place more reasonable?"

The entity considered that question for a long moment. Few would have had the impertinence to ask it, but this woman did and that was part of what made her a valuable asset . He responded with a question of his own.

"You know why. Agreements are long-standing and the terms of contracts are not undone lightly."

A sound that might have approximated a chuckle escaped the entity and the woman crossed her arms with a frown as the entity asked another question.

"The terms of that contract are now null and void. They specified boundaries or 'operating parameters' as some of the humans like to call them these days. Those have been violated, so I am now free to do as I will."

The entity regarded her for a long moment. He trusted her less than Isolde, which was saying something, but he wasn't in a position to turn down an ally. He made a statement.

"There's precious little profit in such a move for me, but out of respect, I will put some of my resources at your disposal. What did you have in mind?"

The entity outlined his thoughts on the matter.

"I can certainly do that. Who knows, it might be a something I can use in the long run, presuming your long term plan comes to fruition."

The entity became stern.

"Please. You are not the first being I've dealt with. I have been burned, sometimes literally, by enough contracts to hedge my bets. You know this much. You may be content to put all yours eggs in a single basket, but I am not. Standard terms plus hazard and I declare the termination clauses."

He could burn her just for her insolence, but then she would cease to be useful. He nodded and she smiled.

"Excellent."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Narrator » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:08 pm

*** Same Place, Yet Another Time ***

His pieces were moving into position. True, the weaver had temporarily slipped his tightening net by leaving, but she would return and the time for the rituals was fast approaching.

The man behind him clears his throat. He has one hand in the pocket of his expensive suit with a casual, disarming stance that disguises his dangerous nature. Not dangerous to the being, of course, but dangerous all the same. "I've put several new assets into play and they are currently insinuating themselves into the town."

The being nods and responds with a question.

"They'll be careful. Unlike your hound, they understand the value of discretion."

The being says something else, something that makes the man frown.

"My people are superior to any mutt off the street, even the German. No offense, but you get what you pay for. We'll make contact with the weaver and prep her for the Meeting."

The being gives a thoughtful pause followed by a request.

"I can certainly assign some here to you. They'll need appropriate hiding places, of course."

The being nods in agreement.

"They'll be here tomorrow night."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Narrator » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:19 pm

*** Same Bat Channel, Different Bat Time ***

The man in the business suit snarls at the woman in the business suit, "My man was close to achieving his objective before you interfered."

The woman sniffs, "I warned you, Michael. You leeches were on very short leashes on my territory and your 'man' stuck his nose so deep into the shit that he's lucky he made it out alive, or as alive as he ever is. And you've had worse setbacks than this. Your inability to perform is not my fault."

The man takes a step forward, his fingernails lengthening as he does so. A quick gesture from the entity and he freezes in place. The woman starts to smirk, but a question from the entity wipes it from her face. "Our agreement was not exclusive and pursuing side work is not prohibited. If you have a problem with that, we can call the contract done."

The entity frowns and asks another question.

"You know quite well where the Grey Lords would come down on this plan of yours. They may be aloof assholes, but they have a certain fondness for the continued semi-normal existence of the mortal world. Your plan only benefits the Unseelie and the Grey Lords would move to oppose you. With the daughter's chains loosened, they'll be too distracted by the state of their plaything to step in until it is too late. So my side job benefits your plan. That wasn't a bill of ownership you signed, so don't presume to lecture me on what I may and may not do."

Suddenly, the man in the business suit unfroze, backhanding the woman into the wall. The woman pulled herself out of the dent and wiped away the trickle of blood at the corner of her mouth. "I should burn you for that, Michael. Freeze your bones and leave you for the sun."

"No one will greet the sun when this is done. The guardian is of no concern and the weaver will soon be ready. Just make sure you hold up your end of the bargain."

"I always pay attention to my contracts, Michael, or the distinct lack thereof. We *will* settle this." She turns and walks purposefully up the stairs and out of sight.

"Shall I have my people watch her?"

The entity shook its head, scratching it's chin in thought. It says something else to Michael.

"I'll let my granddaughter know."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Narrator » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:09 pm

*** Later ***

"You failed," the woman said to the Entity, "I'm calling the cancellation terms of our contract. I'm out."

The Entity said something angrily to the woman as it felt the contract between them unravel.

The woman frowns deeply, "You want to accuse me of that openly? I'll make sure that no one with even a shred of power goes near you ever again. Do it and you can just feed on wind and your own prayers for the next few millennia."

The Entity flicked a hand at her, but the woman seemed prepared for it, raising one hand in a warding gesture as a bright runic circle glowed on the palm of her hand. "You're the only one who hasn't learned anything from this experience." She continued to hold her hand up as she backed towards the stairs. "Working with Michael was your first mistake, by the way. He always had too much to gain from this," she gloated as she backed up the stairs and out of sight.
Narrator
Site Admin

Topic attributes:

Return to Downtown Maldon