Northey Island - Wizard or Crazy Old Man?

Though many students might prefer going to London, Maldon provides closer amenities for those without a car or unwilling to pay for a cab. Several pubs are available, though the Rose and Crown is notable for having been where Excalibur spent a good deal of their downtime. Also of note is the Plume Library, home to many rare books.

Northey Island - Wizard or Crazy Old Man?

Postby Narrator » Tue May 02, 2017 2:03 pm

Northey Island is a fairly isolated spot. A marshy island in the Blackwater, the only ways out to it is a small causeway or a boat and the only living things normally there are a large number of waterfowl and the keeper. The causeway is currently blocked by some bored looking police officers sitting in their car, appearing to be mostly there to keep the curious from going out to the nature reserve and the crime scene.
Narrator
Site Admin

Re: Northey Island - Wizard or Crazy Old Man?

Postby Nailah Weaver » Tue May 02, 2017 7:05 pm

Of course, for Nailah and Haley causeways and police blockades are kind of negotiable, simple flying across the water of the bay. Under normal circumstances Nailah might have opted for a dramatic leap from the cliffs to take flight, but she's too upset for theatrics and just took to the air the moment she made it out of the dorms. Now she's trying to get a good look at the island before zeroing in on the crime scenes itself, making sure there's no police down there as she descends.
Nailah Weaver
Student

High Concept: Fledgling Hero
Aspect: Naive Sphinxling
Aspect: Shattered Precognition

Postby Narrator » Tue May 02, 2017 7:08 pm

No police are in immediate evidence, though the bright yellow crime scene tape makes where the body was found obvious. It looks like the investigators have already done their work, taken their samples, and moved the body back into town.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Haley Crusek » Wed May 03, 2017 1:03 am

"I can't believe he's gone," Haley remarked quietly as she landed, her focus no longer on telepathically broadcasting an aura of "nothing unnatural or unusual here" around them as they flew
Haley Crusek
Student

High Concept: Pint-sized Powerhouse
Aspect: Wannabe hero
Aspect: Shitty psychic
Aspect: Hothead
Aspect: Walmart-brand Tinkerbell

Postby Nailah Weaver » Wed May 03, 2017 2:03 am

"Me neither... Why did he have to run off on his own?" she sighs as she looks around. She figures the Police probably found all the obvious things, but it's possible they missed something and she let's her power steer her steps with the goal of finding something tat went unnoticed by the authorities.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed May 03, 2017 2:36 pm

The area was a mushy muddle, probably from the investigators doing their job and it was, you know, a marsh so that was just standard existence. Her power pulls her away from the crime scene though and towards the north edge of the island.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Nailah Weaver » Wed May 03, 2017 3:14 pm

"I think I got something." she informs Haley, though she has no idea what exactly she's doing or looking for. She just follows her powers north. If Haley is keeping her telepathic senses peeled she might catch a weird sensation of deja-vu from Nailah.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Haley Crusek » Wed May 03, 2017 5:15 pm

Haley was, in fact, keeping her telepathic senses pretty keyed up, trying to get a feel for anything left in the area, so she noticed the deja-vu from her partner.

"You...feel something familiar about this or something?" she asked, "not trying to spy, but it's like. Coming off you pretty strong.
Haley Crusek
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed May 03, 2017 5:19 pm

It's a short and somewhat messy walk to the north side of the island. The air is somewhat colder here, but peeking out just above the water is what looks to be the tip of a row boat's bow.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Nailah Weaver » Wed May 03, 2017 5:24 pm

"No, just... following my power, I guess." she says. "Look! You think that's how he got here in the first place?"
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Haley Crusek » Wed May 03, 2017 5:26 pm

Haley perked up as she noticed it, "Your power works pretty damn well, then! I bet it is. Should I try to lift it up out of the water some?"
Haley Crusek
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Wed May 03, 2017 5:28 pm

"Oh. Yeah, that's much better than getting our feet wet."
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Haley Crusek » Wed May 03, 2017 5:32 pm

Haley planted her feet on the firmest, driest ground she could find nearby and narrowed her eyes in focus, stretching out her hands in front of her to guide her TK to gingerly pull the boat out of the water and up onto the shore.
Haley Crusek
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed May 03, 2017 5:35 pm

It proved to be much easier than she was expecting as all she pulled up was the prow of the boat. It looked brand-spanking new except everything more than about a foot back was rotted away as if it had been in the water for a long time.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Haley Crusek » Wed May 03, 2017 5:38 pm

Haley stumbled back a bit at the unexpected ease of yanking the boat free, her foot sinking about a foot into a puddle. "....what the hell?"
Haley Crusek
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Wed May 03, 2017 5:43 pm

"Whoa, what the heck? What happened to this thing?"
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed May 03, 2017 5:46 pm

Closer examination shows that the damaged edge is pretty uniform almost uncannily so, but the wood along the edge is squishy and obviously rotten.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Haley Crusek » Thu May 04, 2017 3:15 am

Haley set the boat down, and extracted her foot from the muck, taking several steps forward before crouching next to it to examine it closely. '"Ain't never seen a thing like it...wonder if it's got any...memories stuck to it?"

She closed her eyes and focused her telepathy on the boat, trying to see if she could glean anything from it.
Haley Crusek
Student

Postby Narrator » Fri May 05, 2017 2:09 pm

She doesn't sense anything she'd associate with Youseff on the boat. The rotted edges are just a void. There is no impression on them at all, which is odd even in Haley's experience. She gets the impression that this boat has a twin, but she's not sure how she's getting that impression.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Haley Crusek » Fri May 05, 2017 5:30 pm

"...the hell?" Haley murmured, her eyes slowly opening.

"So...there's like, nothing on this boat. Nothing. Normally everything has at least some sort of like. Psychic residue left on it. But there's nothing. And this boat is also like...how do I....there's another one like it. Somewhere. I don't know where."
Haley Crusek
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Fri May 05, 2017 5:43 pm

"Somewhere on this island?" she asks, glancing around. "Maybe the Police found and took it?"
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Haley Crusek » Fri May 05, 2017 5:46 pm

"Can you do your...seer?...thing? Is that a good word for the deja vu thing you do? I'm trying to read this nerdy book Tosh gave me and it's really boring but there's this lady who can like. See the future."
Haley Crusek
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Fri May 05, 2017 7:40 pm

"I can try, but this other boat better not be halfway across the country, cause it'll just lead me to the train station then. I just get an idea about what to do next, not where it's taking me." she says, trying to focus on this boat's twin and wanting to find it.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Narrator » Fri May 05, 2017 7:49 pm

As she focuses on her powers, she catches sight of boats moored over at the other side of the Blackwater. And then she inexplicably gets hungry for pub food.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Nailah Weaver » Fri May 05, 2017 7:56 pm

"Looks like we're going to the pub?" she shrugs and points across the water to the harbor as she unfolds her wings.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Haley Crusek » Fri May 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Haley looked down at the leg of her jeans covered up to almost the knee in muck, "Well hopefully it's not a fancy pub."

She jumped into the air and started flying after her partner, again shielding them from prying eyes while in flight.
Haley Crusek
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Fri May 05, 2017 10:14 pm

"Those exist? I thought they're all... grungy and full of rowdy drunks." This is what happens when your main experience with pubs is beating up thugs in sleazy ones with your partner in crime-fighting.

The two head across the water and Nailah sets down at the harbor, apparently not particularly concerned about being stealthy. Her landing makes a bit of a scene but nobody actually approaches them. A couple people just stop and stare. Haley's effect not extending enough to cover up for intentionally making an entrance. Nailah heads for the 'Old Ship' and pushes open the door, briefly wondering if her power got confused about what kind of 'ship' they are looking for when she notices the name.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Narrator » Fri May 05, 2017 10:18 pm

As they enter, some of the patrons look up from their food, but for the most part they follow typical Brit and politely ignore them. Nailah's power tells her to take a table in the back corner and order some food.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Haley Crusek » Sat May 06, 2017 4:34 pm

Nailah's response gave Haley a moment's pause. "I mean...I...sure right?"

Haley saw the way her partner was looking to land and tried to ramp her powers into overdrive to mask their entrance but it clearly was beyond her abilities and she just smiled cheerfully at the stares. "Howdy ya'll! Remember, Red Bull gives you wings! Bye now!"

Yes. This was totally just viral marketing...

She dashed after Nailah and followed her into the pub, looking around. She leaned over, "so uh...what now?"
Haley Crusek
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun May 07, 2017 7:07 pm

"Food. What do you feel like?" she asks as she heads for one of the tables at the far wall.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Haley Crusek » Sun May 07, 2017 7:54 pm

Haley followed her partner with a shrug. "Well I mean we're in a pub near the water so I should probably get the fish and chips, right?"
Haley Crusek
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun May 07, 2017 9:59 pm

"Sounds good!" she says, waving down a waitress to take their order.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Narrator » Sun May 07, 2017 10:39 pm

The waitress takes their order. As she brings their food, they overhear a man telling his friend at the bar, "Yeah, the guy just bought the biggest boat I had access to. Paid cash for it too. Biggest commission I've had in ages."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Nailah Weaver » Sun May 07, 2017 11:21 pm

"Boom. There's our guy." she says after the waitress leaves. Taking a bite of fish she chews as she heads over tot he bar, carrying her plate.

"Hey. Sorry to butt in, but you recently sold a boat? To an old guy, about this tall." she says, holding up her hand as she describes Youseff as she sits down and puts her plate on the bar. She seems to have no problem just walking up to random, pretty rough seeming people in a pub. She generally seems to act pretty unfazed when she's following her power. If Haley is keeping an eye on it, that impression of deja-vu persists, occasionally giving off the impression there's a slightly larger mental echo overlaying Nailah.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Narrator » Sun May 07, 2017 11:34 pm

"What? No. Didn't sell to anyone like that. This was a younger..." He finally takes a good look at her, "What's it to you?"
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Haley Crusek » Mon May 08, 2017 12:15 am

Haley munched on her fish thoughtfully, watching the proceedings across the room with interest. She sat ready to jump in with her telepathy to try and calm the guy down if needed. More realistically she was probably ready to throw her weight around telekinetically.
Haley Crusek
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Mon May 08, 2017 12:39 am

Nailah rolls her eyes and sighs. "Dad told him he was gonna take care of it, but no... What kinda boat did the idiot buy? Was it some kinda dumb speedboat thing?"
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Narrator » Mon May 08, 2017 12:53 am

"It had a launch, but it was a bigger boat. Pleasure yacht sort of thing. Usually I special order the things, but someone had ordered one and then declined delivery when it arrived. I was afraid I was stuck with it, but guess it was my lucky day."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Nailah Weaver » Mon May 08, 2017 12:55 am

"Oh lord... What's the name of the boat?"
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Narrator » Mon May 08, 2017 2:28 pm

"Named it the Merriweather," the man says, obviously deciding there's no harm in sharing the information.
Narrator
Site Admin

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to Downtown Maldon