The Stitches In Time

Though many students might prefer going to London, Maldon provides closer amenities for those without a car or unwilling to pay for a cab. Several pubs are available, though the Rose and Crown is notable for having been where Excalibur spent a good deal of their downtime. Also of note is the Plume Library, home to many rare books.

Re: The Stitches In Time

Postby Samantha McManus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:13 pm

"Who's Youseff? All I know is Wanda's got people after her and for all I know she's helping them."
Samantha McManus
Student

High Concept: Waking Goddess
Aspect: Enraptured by Violence
Aspect: Made of Nightmares
Aspect: Not Crazy
Aspect: Driven by Wolves

Postby Narrator » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:23 pm

The woman's eyes narrow at Sam's comment, "You think I would help the sun go out?"
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Samantha McManus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:30 pm

"I think you haven't told us enough to get the benefit of the doubt."
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:37 pm

"He was an old man who was attacked by some goons. He said he was with a group called the Light and Life and... I think he might have been a wizard. The police found his body a couple days ago..."
Nailah Weaver
Student

High Concept: Fledgling Hero
Aspect: Naive Sphinxling
Aspect: Shattered Precognition

Postby Narrator » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:40 pm

"A great shame. There are precious few threads left in their tapestry. The can ill afford to lose the ones they have," the woman says, "And to answer the Morrigan's unspoken question, I was assigned to be the child of Earth's guardian, but another has forcibly assumed that role, so I cannot do more than watch at this point."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Samantha McManus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:29 pm

"...Miriam drove you off. And if you were like this to her, I can't blame her."

"Besides that, people who call me the Morrigan out of blue sky are rarely good news."
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Narrator » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:21 pm

"She assumed her new role well before she met me and if you prefer 'Samantha McManus', I can certainly use that. You can't blame me for using the eyes that the fates have given me."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Nailah Weaver » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:39 pm

"Wait so Youseff's murder has to do with Wanda? And blowing up the sun?" Nailah frowns and almost immediately the old woman could tell that up until now Nailah hadn't really been tapping into her power. The threads around her light up as she seems to brush her fingers over them like the shuttle on a loom, each one whispering in ethereal sing-song until she finds one that does in fact lead to the light remaining in the world. But while she somehow found it by the lone criteria of foiling Youseff's murderer's plans she seems blind to the thread itself or the path it takes from there. Unlike Nailah though, the old Weaver can see more of it. Like flashes all the steps are laid out in front of her.

A pharmacists handing Nailah a bag of relatively benign medicine. A handful of cotoneaster berries and a bushel of nightshade. Crush pills into cough syrup, heat, stir, cool off, add dried herbs, reduce, combine paste with berries, leave overnight. Go to the kitchen. Move a pot from one stove to another on the way in. Talk to Emilie. Wait for the pot that's now boiling over to distract her. Add the paste to the third bowl of salad she was prepping. Leave. Wanda's thread shrivels up into nothing.

And further down Nailah's own thread an older, bitter version of her is whispering instructions down through time. She knows what has to be done. What has to be the right thing. The thing she had to do and can't afford to question now. It's the answer to the question that was asked and the end justifies the means; a conclusion she was forced to draw when she followed those steps herself. A self-fulfilling destiny. All to simply delay the inevitable darkness she steered herself towards in Wanda's place...

But here and now Nailah has a cocky smirk on her face and all Sam can sense is the strange feeling of massive deja-vu rippling out from Nailah as the subconscious memories of an older Nailah settle on the blond sphinx.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Samantha McManus » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:20 pm

"...you're doing it again," Sam frowns at Nailah.
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:28 pm

The old woman frowns and snaps her fingers in front of Nailah's face, bringing her other hand up to meet her pinched fingers. "Arrogant child," she says with the air of someone used to scolding others, "You don't understand the pattern and you don't understand the path you're weaving." She draws her fingers apart, the glowing thread of fate visible to Nailah and even Sam can sense that there's something important there even if she can't see it. The path of choices plays out in front of Nailah, obviously augmented by the old weaver's own powers. "It isn't enough to set your foot on the road when you only know your destination."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Nailah Weaver » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:44 am

"Well yeah, I'm gonna stop..." she starts when the Weaver interrupts them by revealing to her the whole path. "I... but...no, that's..." she stammers once she realizes where it is going. "That's all wrong..."
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Samantha McManus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:55 am

"What are you doing to her?" Sam asks, her eyes narrowing and the flock starting to emerge from her mind.
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:15 am

"Stay your hand. I'm teaching her that playing with fate is a dangerous game and not all roads are as bright as they first appear. Even those who can see the whole tapestry, and there are only three of them, have to be careful if they don't want the whole thing to unravel."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Nailah Weaver » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:13 pm

"Okay so I just... gotta find a different one! One that works without anybody dieing!" She's not entirely sure what she's seeing, but she knows it relates to her power somehow and she reaches out to brush aside the thread full of murder and tragedy. She fumbles for a different one and the old woman can feel Nailah's power flare up again, skittering across possibilities, searching, listening, but it feels like things are slipping away underneath her fingers any time she tries to grab on to one. "There has to be one. They're just... hiding it!" she goes on, trying to ignore the building headache. There's nothing she can't do if she just wants it hard enough, damnit!
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Samantha McManus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:26 pm

"...you're hurting her," she frowns.
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:36 pm

The woman lowers her hands, "Pain can be an instructive teacher, but she's doing this to herself." The woman stands and puts a hand on Nailah's shoulder gently, almost in a motherly fashion. "Peace, child, the thread you need may not have entered the weave yet."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Nailah Weaver » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Without the woman actually showing her what she's doing Nailah's hands drop down and she just stares into space for a moment, her mind is back to racing through questions, trying to find the one that'll give her the answer she wants. Except even when she does find something that gives her that feeling of certainty and purpose about what to do she's now full of doubts as to what that course of action will actually lead to and she finally just stops.

"This is stupid..." she just mutters, sounding defeated.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:24 pm

"No, it's not stupid. You're just lacking in vision. You're only looking one move ahead, but many threads are far longer than one move and may weave in unexpected directions." She smiles at Nailah, "Not everyone can be the Norns, not even their descendants."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Nailah Weaver » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:29 pm

"What's that supposed to mean?" she asks, sounding confused. She's still not really sure what just happened or how this woman was able to give her a glimpse into how her power works, but her head is kind of swimming from it.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:49 pm

"When you understand what it means, I think you will be ready to move forward."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Samantha McManus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:13 pm

"So you're like... one of the fates. Or Norns. Or whatever."

"Or you're a mutant who can hum a few bars."
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:14 pm

"I'm not one of the great ones, but I am of their exceedingly long line. Though not all of the line are destined to be weavers."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Nailah Weaver » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:41 pm

"Is that what you did to my power? Weave?"
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:46 pm

"After a fashion, you can sense the threads that are there. I can see them for what they are. As soon as you had found your course of action, I could see the end that thread would lead you to and I decided to show you because it concerned someone who used to be my charge."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Samantha McManus » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:48 pm

"Wait... what was she going to do?"
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Nailah Weaver » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:15 pm

"Nothing. Something stupid." she says, immediately contradicting correcting herself.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:58 pm

"It's not important now. That thread has been discarded," the woman says.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Samantha McManus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:24 am

"...I'm really getting to hate magic, here."
Samantha McManus
Student

The Stitches In Time

Postby Narrator » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:25 am

"Hate the practitioner if you must, but not the art." She pauses, "Well, not most of the art anyway."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Samantha McManus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:38 pm

"I hate it because it's something I know nothing about, but seems to know everything about me."
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Narrator » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:09 pm

"Then learn. That is something you do at that university of yours is it not?"
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Nailah Weaver » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:11 pm

"I don't think they offer a course on Magic." Nailah 'helpfully' points out.
Nailah Weaver
Student

Postby Samantha McManus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:25 pm

"All we've got is a guy who looks like Harry Potter with a beard who stares at the library like something's going to happen."
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Narrator » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:01 pm

The woman rolls her eyes and then she moves her hands through the air, running her hand across threads, feeling the weave. "Many opportunities exist," she says, obviously distracted, "But not all of them will lead you to the light."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Samantha McManus » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:21 pm

"Look, I don't think any of us asked for this. We're just finding out that what you don't know can bloody well hurt you."
Samantha McManus
Student

Postby Narrator » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:16 pm

"No one said you asked for it. And what you don't know has always been able to hurt you. It's part of growing up."
Narrator
Site Admin

Previous

Topic attributes:

Return to Downtown Maldon