The Wonderful Thing About Wizards...

The site of the recently restored Braddock Lighthouse. Aircraft hangars and other X-Men facilities, including a Cerebra unit and the Danger Room have been constructed around the foundations of the lighthouse.

The Wonderful Thing About Wizards...

Postby Null » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:58 pm

Will knocked at the door of Sean's lab...uh...experimental room. Whatever it is you call a place where you do all sorts of Arcane Rituals.
Null

Re: The Wonderful Thing About Wizards...

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:49 pm

"One moment," Sean shouted and a few moments later he opened the door still wearing a set of loupes he'd been using for some experiment or another in his... arcane sanctum, lab, thing. "Hello."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:29 pm

"Hey there, Sean. All healed up from our hospital escapades?"
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:34 pm

A couple days of rest saw Sean more or less fully recovered. Magic really did work wonders at times.

"Ribs are sore, but otherwise everything is aces," Sean said taking off the loupes and opening the door a bit wider so Will could come in. "What brings you to my dark corner of the world?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:40 pm

"I can't just come in to check on the health of a friend?" Will asked, looking around the room at Sean's workspace. "Friendly visit and all that?"
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:10 pm

Sean started to say something, but instead just sighed.

"Tea?" Sean asked as he walked towards the center of the workshop which had a couple comfortable looking chairs surrounded by shelves with books. The rest of space looked like organized chaos. There were stacks of books with pages marked by post-its, notebooks both opened and closed, sketches, designs, and other loose leaf paper. The only exception was some work space set aside that was scrupulously clean with organized shelves full of labeled reagents and spell components.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:19 pm

"Thank you.

Uh, as long as it's tea from this realm and not some godforsaken Eldritch realm beyond comprehension. Unless you put, like, five sugars in that one."

Will casually flipped through one of the books for a moment.

"You're right, though. I do have other reasons for showing up -- I'm recruiting some help for a mission."
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:33 pm

"Sugar doesn't help that much with the hallucinations," Sean said before turning on the kettle and grabbing a tin of loose-leaf tea. "That's the Key of Solomon a good source if you can find one from before the 14th century. Later versions contain some odd errors and mistranslations. That one was enchanted at some point to help preserve it."

Sean poured the water into two mugs before grabbing sugar and milk from a small fridge.

"A mission?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:34 pm

"Mmhmm. Have you seen this?" Will said, handing over the flyer promoting the Will-versus-Will fight. "The headmistress thought it would be a good idea.

The other Will is building an army to go after me on this; one I'll need help countering. This is very important to me; I don't need to tell you how powerful names can be."
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:13 pm

Sean took the flyer from Will advertising the fight and looked it over while the tea steeped.

"Quite," Sean said, "And who would we be fighting?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:17 pm

"Lycanthropes, fae and the Tuatha Dé Danann."

Will paused.

"So, you know. A rank or two above the 'just punching people' aspect. I have a couple ploys in mind, but it's a tricky business. If you don't want to get physically involved, that's alright too, but I figured a magic man might have something he can do to give me a leg up."
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:43 pm

Sean nearly dropped the mugs when Will told him who the other army was. He placed the mugs on a table along with the sugar and milk.

"Well, that's bloody unfortunate," Sean said, "In fact that statement doesn't quite convey how bad this situation is. You're going to be fighting a goddess and her coterie one of whom also wields magic. It's just... bloody hell. You can't..."

Sean paused for a moment and rubbed his temples and sighed again.

"There are bindings, enchantments, maybe a few other rituals that could help perhaps. It all depends on how far you're willing to go to win this."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:49 pm

"I'm aware of just how deep I'm getting into this, Sean," Will sighed. "I'm the Champion of a Morrigan from another place and time, so I know quite intimately what one, at full power, is capable of doing. I'm just very, very glad it's a baby Morrigu on the other side and not the Phantom Queen in all her terror and glory."

"The wolves are...not my highest concern. They are, after all, animals. Instinctual. And instinct can be twisted and used against them. I'm also working on an angle to help put a dampening on any telepathic prowess they might bring to the table, as well as counteracting anything they might cook up in terms of a plan; I already have a precog on our side.

But magic? Magic and mythology? That's beyond my paygrade. And I need to win this. I can't let the...the terrible parts of me end up conquering all, can I? I'm willing to go mighty far to win this.

No one's going to get killed, or more than a bit shaken up -- this is in the Danger Room with ASHLIE supervising over all. But I'm willing to do what is necessary to knock our Great Queen down off her pedestal. After all, who here knows more about the mystical realms than our friendly neighborhood sorcerer?" he grinned.
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:08 pm

Sean was silent for a moment and sipped his tea. A part of him relished the challenge of fighting the Morrigan no matter how ridiculous it sounded, and going toe-to-toe with Vivienne had a certain appeal.

"If you're going to butter me up that much it's hard to say no," Sean said with a slight smile. "What exactly do you want me to do though? Fight Vivienne and Sam? There might be ways to try to bind or repel the Morrigan, I can maybe give you lot some enchanted gear to dampen magic, but do you have money to pay for it? Components are expensive especially components for spells like the ones I'd need for this fight."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:17 pm

Will paused for a moment, and then reached into his own chest.

A minute later, he came out with several stacks of bills. Not small ones, either.

"Courtesy of a coven of vampires that seem more interested in draining bank accounts than draining bodies of blood. If it's money you need, it's money I can get you."

Will sipped his own tea.

"I don't know exactly what it is I need from you. I never had the head for magic stuff, and the last magic user I had extended contact with tricked me into using my body as a vessel for her ka. Being made of clay has it's disadvantages at times," he smiled, wryly.

"If you think it's best for you to go head-to-head with Viv and Sam, then we can work with that. Hate to see you two-on-one, though."
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:33 pm

Sean looked suitably impressed by the large stacks of bills.

"I'll give you the change if there is any."

Sean sipped his tea again as he considered a draft of the plan.

"Find another mage, or somebody who can fight the Morrigan in close and maybe it won't be," Sean shrugged. "I plan on trying to make it so I don't have to fight both of them. Maybe using the Seal of Solomon or Bindings of Fenrir. It helps that we aren't trying to kill one another."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:37 pm

"Yes, no killing. I think that would probably disqualify us. Probably. ASHLIE has not been forthcoming with the rules.

So, what is this..."Binding of Fenrir"? Or, for that matter, the Seal of Solomon. I hope it isn't an actual seal you summon -- no patronuses, Harry Potter."
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:07 pm

"Both of them are binding spells," Sean said, "Binding spells that were made to work on powerful entities. The Christian bible and Norse mythos both have them being used to bind demons or the great wolf Fenrir. In books written by wizards they describe that Seal of Solomon could be used to bind powerful beings to a specific location or object. Solomon used it to seal demons or bind them to his service.

The Bindings of Fenrir refer to enchanted chains in North mythos which claims the dwarves forged it out of impossible things, but deeper investigations lead several different wizards and scholars to find that a certain sequence of dwarven runes inscribed into a chain was likely where the myth originated. Several wizards allegedly have used the spell to bind various creatures... temporarily depending on the sacrifice you give the spell. A greater sacrifice means a longer lasting binding. The god Tyr gave his hand, but I think a finger could bind the Morrigan for thirty or forty minutes provided Vivienne doesn't dismantle the spell.

Either spell might work, but the Seal of Solomon is a more aggressive binding more like a compulsion."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:14 pm

Will mused.

"I've...been sacrificed to the Morrigan before. Slow roasted over an open fire, anointed with alcohol and stuffed with herbs and spices. It was not an experience one wishes to happen twice.

It sounds like being more aggressive might be more up our alley, right? We have the advantage in that we know what they're bringing to the table, but they're not sure what we are coming up with. Maybe an aggressive, shock-and-awe thing might play in our favor?"
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:24 pm

"Alright," Sean said, "The spell would be the most potent if we have a feather, lock of her hair, or some kind of personal effect. If we can get it before the fight I can melt it into the metal I'll use to make the ring. Otherwise I'll make do and it'll involve a bit of... luck and a sacrifice of some kind. A finger, blood, that sort of thing."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:26 pm

"Something that belongs to her? I think I can swing that. It may be last minute, but I'll get you what you need."
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:35 pm

"Wonderful, that means this stack will go to purchasing the platinum and gemstones I need for that particular enchantment," Sean said taking roughly half the money and putting it to one side. "Make sure whatever it is you get from her we can replace because she wont be getting it back. The spell will devour it."

"The rest will be used to make rings for whoever else you bring. Maybe there'll be enough to make some wolfsbane or truesilver rings."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:51 pm

"If you have to skimp, skimp on the wolves. With any luck, they'll be too distracted to cause much of a fight."
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:09 am

Sean nods making some plans in his head for the next few days.

"I'm surprised the Headmistress is having this decided with a free for all," Sean said, "Even if you two are... indestructible."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:12 am

"Believe me, so am I. You'd think she'd come up with something a bit more...logical.

My guess? She's not interested in the fight. She's interested in the preparations. I offered to finish it right then and there, but she insisted we wait a week.

And he's just going to get dragged along, going with the flow. I'm the one being proactive. I'm betting that's what she wants to see, name or no name."
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:44 am

"Maybe she's hoping you'll reconsider?" Sean asked. "Or like you said she's interested in the preparations. Seeing his you two think or seeing if your other can be motivated to do things rather than be lead to them"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:49 am

"Maybe she's looking for someone to trust with a project. She bought us from the US military for some reason that's never become quite clear.

She works in mysterious ways, that one."
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:58 am

Will wrote:"Maybe she's looking for someone to trust with a project. She bought us from the US military for some reason that's never become quite clear.

She works in mysterious ways, that one."

"Quite," Sean said, "Wait... purchased from the what?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:45 am

"The US Military. As surplus.

I crash-landed in the Antarctic in the late '50s; hid out in a secret US government facility down there for years. They eventually found out."
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:43 pm

"That's... wait, when you said you crashed here and all that about the Morrigan," Sean said pieces clicking into place, not necessarily correctly, based on what Will had said earlier. "This school is a very strange place."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:37 pm

"Oh, you don't know the half of it. But you're getting there."
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:40 pm

"I'm starting to feel like knowing half of it will take a lifetime," Sean said dryly. "Which is quite a while in my case."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:10 pm

"Well, you've certainly got the research material to keep you busy for a while. Where do you get all this stuff?"
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:57 pm

"Antique dealers, libraries, occult and second hand bookstores, abandoned buildings, enchanted forests, and the odd estate sale" Sean said, "I met a practitioner was willing to part with books or let me borrow them in exchange for enchanted rings and other things I make in the workshop."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:13 pm

"Do you guys have, like, an email chain, or a series of owls flying from place to place to keep you guys up to date on all this stuff?"
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:16 pm

"We use email and cellphones," Sean said, "Familiars are considered a bit old fashioned."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:22 pm

Will looked around Sean's office.

"You don't say," he said, sipping his tea.
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:31 pm

There was very little in the way of tech in Sean's workshop other than the fridge, electric kettle, and a lone 3D printer off in a corner as far away as was possible from everything else..

"Magic fries technology," Sean said with a slight smile. "I've gone through quite a few phones and laptops over the years."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Null » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:38 pm

"Interesting choice, then, to have correspondence on something that's nigh-guaranteed to break when doing your stuff. Are all wizards this contradictory?"
Null

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:51 pm

"The wonderful thing about Wizards and magic is that we are full contradictions," Sean said wryly. "Or was that the worst thing..."
Sean Hall
Student

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to The Point