Sept 5th : Some Time in the Workshop

The site of the recently restored Braddock Lighthouse. Aircraft hangars and other X-Men facilities, including a Cerebra unit and the Danger Room have been constructed around the foundations of the lighthouse.

Sept 5th : Some Time in the Workshop

Postby Nash Riley » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:40 am

Nash had the basic plans of the project he was working on brought up on the tables holographic display. The plans needed a few addition details to be dealt with before he would be ready to actually start building the device. He was working on those details right now.

((open))
Nash Riley
Student

Re: Sept 5th : Some Time in the Workshop

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:34 pm

"Good afternoon, Mister Riley. I'm glad to see all three of you so eager." Ashlie says as she walks into the room, carrying what looks like an assortment of miniature sensors and actuators that she places on one of the workbenches.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:36 pm

“I'm not sure who wouldn't be, having access to all this equipment and materials.” Nash replied as he made a few more adjustments to the part he was working on.

“Is that for one of your projects?” He said now taking a closer look at what Ashlie had brought in.
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:50 pm

"I was going to do some maintenance work, but I can come back later if need be."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:08 am

"Maintenance on what?" Nash said while trying to figure out just where these parts would likely go.
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:12 am

"I have some cybernetic implants that occasionally need work."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:35 am

"Oh, I could go instead, there are still a few things I haven't completely worked out on my project anyway."

Nash then tries to determine just where these parts could go if they were cybernetic implants. He doesn't scan Ms. Minamida with his power, though he does use it on the parts she put on the workbench.
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:44 am

"No, don't worry, there's no need to leave." she says. The parts are pretty small, mostly made up of various metals and plastics. A lot of them have a titanium coating, probably for reasons of bio-compatibility. There are some fiber-optic cables and some of the pieces are faintly curved, as if they're meant to fit a small sphere.

She sits down at one of the workbenches and picks up a small pen-like tool, aiming at her eye and tapping it's back to activate a barely visible beam of light. She stops blinking while she adjust something on the tool by twisting a section on the back while a hard-light screen starts displaying rows of numbers.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:58 am

Nash watched her for just a bit before the question of whether he should really be just standing there watching this popped into his head.

He then tried to get back working on his project.
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:09 am

"You don't have to be embarrassed about being curious." she points out, her eyeball twitching left, right, up and down before she turns off the tool, placing it down on the bench. She blinks her eye a couple times before looking over at the readout.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:34 am

He turns back to be facing her.

“How long have you had the cybernetic eyes?”
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:43 am

"These are about a year old now. I've had to replace some parts every couple months but they've gotten more reliable since then thanks to an improvement in the parts used. They're fairly modular to make replacements easier. Are you squeamish?" she checks, seemingly out of nowhere.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:51 am

“Not particularly. You're going to take one out aren't you?”
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:58 am

"Yes. Some people are not very fond of that." she says and spreads her eye-socket as if she was taking out a contact lens. Instead a faint electronic whir can be heard, followed by a faint click that slightly pushes the metallic eye-ball forward. She grabs it with her free hand and pulls it out, carefully placing it on the workbench.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:16 am

Nash didn't flinch, but he did make a slight face during the parts of it.

“They showed us some pretty nasty stuff when I went through first aid training back at the Institute. I was far more squeamish before that.”
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:46 am

"I'm sure that was quite the eye opener." she says, almost sounding intentionally dry while she picks up a small tool to make some adjustments to the spherical device.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:53 am

“Why did you get cybernetic eyes to start with?” Nash asked.

“If you don't mind.” followed shortly later.
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:59 am

"They allow for seeing much more details than regular human eyes. In a way it's an attempt at a pale imitation of what comes naturally to you. Perceiving more details about things."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:09 am

Nash wasn't sure what to say. A pale imitation of his powers. She replaced her own eyes to get something like that.

Nash has always found his powers to be extremely useful, he doesn't deny that. He is so used to having them that he wouldn't trade them for anything else either. Still, part of him envies those with more the physical or flashy powers. Because of this he has trouble getting used to the idea that someone else would really want his powers, at least this aspect of them.
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:26 am

"They also provide an easy way to visualize data if need be, but the normal human range of perception is very narrow, so I mostly felt like I shouldn't be beholden to that." she goes on.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:44 am

He then snapped out of it.

“So you replaced otherwise working normal eyes for cybernetic eyes to get their better abilities?”
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:45 am

"You think that's strange?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:53 am

"I wouldn't do it myself, but understand other people might look at it differently."
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:06 am

"No pun intended?" she chuckles, finishing whatever fine-tuning she's doing and holding up the artificial eyeball to look into it's iris with her other eye.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:22 pm

“I only realized the pun right after I said it.” He grinned.

“I should probably get back to work on my project if I want to get it done anytime soon.”
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:25 pm

"I won't keep you from your work any longer then."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:55 pm

“It would also help if a quit adding stuff to it or modifying the design.” He laughed.
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:00 pm

"What are you trying to build?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:48 pm

“The original idea I had back at the Institute was for a wearable mini-computer on my arm. I made an attempt back then, but I had less to work with, and less of an idea what I was doing. It didn't turn out very well.”
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:57 pm

"Certainly doable. Especially if you would be willing to construct some of the miniaturized components yourself."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:15 am

“Needing smaller components was the big problem with my first attempt. Right now it is trying to make it do too much at once."

"I think I need to start off simpler but make it modular, so I can add stuff on or swap stuff out later.”
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:22 am

"That's a good idea. If you put effort into designing a proper base you'll be able to improve on it as you go along."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:07 am

Nash pulls out a few components from his original plan and sets them over to the side and starts working on them.

“The connectors will definitely have to be made custom, maybe a few other things too, but this should work.”
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:26 am

"Do you have any particular plans for what you want it to be able to do when you're done?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:14 am

“I had a few different ideas, one is for it to receive and process signals from things like a tracking device, bug, or drone.”
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:42 am

"That's an excellent idea. The biggest issue with that is going to be the screen. If you're up for a challenge you could try incorporating a holographic emitter instead to free up space for other things."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:13 am

“I was actually, planning on just that. I looked at other things like flexible displays, but couldn't get them to be like I wanted.”
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:26 am

"The blueprints for the workstations should be a good starting point, though they weren't designed with space-constraints in mind."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Nash Riley » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:35 am

“Yes, I'm probably going to have to do a few things differently to make it work.”
Nash Riley
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:53 am

"If you run into any problems, let me know. I'll gladly help you, but try to work it out for yourself first."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Topic attributes:

Return to The Point