Let's Go Steal Ourselves An AI

The site of the recently restored Braddock Lighthouse. Aircraft hangars and other X-Men facilities, including a Cerebra unit and the Danger Room have been constructed around the foundations of the lighthouse.

Re: Let's Go Steal Ourselves An AI

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:26 pm

"Glad you're happy," Natalie says, half-smiling. "Mind putting the rest of me back together? I'd rather not have to take the arms away from you to do that."
Natalie Denisov
Student

High Concept: Ghost In The Machine
Aspect: More Comfortable With Things
Aspect: Quad-Core Mind
Aspect: Lighthouse Keeper
Aspect: Sufficiently Advanced Technology

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:39 pm

"Already on it."

Behind her the whir of the rest of the arms kicks in again as they assemble her... well, now Natalie's body again. As they do the workstations around the room power on, one showing Natalie's work on her suit, another diagrams of Natalie's body, a third seems to be some kind of quadruped drone with a number of sections highlighted, specifically the processing core and uplink module. A fourth one is showing a more detailed schematics and wireframe modeling of Natalie's skull.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:44 pm

"I see you've been busy," she says, getting up to look at the schematics. The work on her sort had the most details on the arms and legs, though there was concepts for the whole body. Some rough preliminary calculations had been done on what the torso would need to do, but most of them were predicated on their being a flesh-and-blood human inside it. "If we want to dump me off into my suit, we'll need to put a skeletal structure in it. Without a body, the movement won't work properly without some serious recoding."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:02 pm

"Not so much busy as simply gathering what's already available. Transferring your mind out of this body is what has the most uncertainties and will require the most effort by far. I'm not sure I want to pursue that as the first option, although to some extent that's obviously up to you. But your suit's schematics are still relevant for other reasons. I won't lie, I gave you access to some of my internal workings in order to see if you could improve on them under the requirements of having to make room to accommodate a person. Miniaturizations and optimizations I could apply myself. I'm smart, but I do have to admit I lack a certain creativity and ability to think outside existing boundaries, unlike you and Tosh."

"More pressingly, I do have a University to run and while I can handle a lot of administrative tasks like this I require a recognizable body sooner rather than later and regardless of the circumstances, I cannot actively condone a student impersonating me for as long as it'd take to find a safe way to transfer you elsewhere. Nevermind the fact that we just actively broke the access node required for me to boot into this unit."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:11 pm

"That could be repaired," she points out, "but point taken. If I could start reformatting some of the internal storage in this unit, I could probably make it last a bit longer before things get drastic, but I've been trying to be as minimally damaging to the internal framework as possible. So what looks like our best first option? Building you a second body or building me a receptacle?"
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:19 pm

"Building me a new body has much fewer uncertainties associated with it. I'm not even sure where to start designing an optimized architecture for human thought patterns. Do what you need to do to make yourself comfortable."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Natalie taps her chin in thought. A totally unnecessary gesture, but it's a sign of how instinctive her control is. "How much fabrication can we manage? Because I would think one of the other priorities should be to get me to stop looking like you as well. Even if we build you a new body, that will need to happen."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:39 pm

"Quite a bit, but the bottle-neck is going to be circuitry, all the smaller components. They're time-consuming to print. Fortunately I don't think adjusting the facial structure is going to be too complicated. All the sensors are embedded int he skin and there's structural pieces placed on top of the synthetic muscles that produce most of the shape. We can't do much about the skeletal structure but adjusting the rest won't require much material. It's more of a design challenge, really."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:47 pm

"Design challenge? In fitting the skin to the new facial structure? Or something else? We have a ready model of my face. Extrapolating my features to be proportional to your height and overall facial shape shouldn't be terribly difficult though it'll probably require some aesthetic tweaking. I don't feel a grand need to give myself a make-over."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:04 pm

"You still have to accommodate for the underlieing structure and figure out how to best integrate it to produce the desired result. But mostly I meant as opposed to a manufacturing one. Regardless of the specific shape of the pieces that's something that shouldn't take longer than a couple hours to produce once you have the design specifications."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:17 pm

While they were talking, a background process spawns off to begin analyzing the storage in the body and collect data on file compression and formatting, looking for ways to find new gains that could extend the life and usability of the space. "Okay," she says, a document appearing shared to both herself and Ashlie, taking the form of a checklist.
Code: Select all
1. New body for Ashlie
2. Rework memory formatting for Natalie
3. Rework facial structure and appearance for Natalie
4. Begin work on human-computer neuro-interface

"I know some of these circuits are highly specialized, but could we accelerate the process on a temporary basis by taking ready-made parts from our supplies and using them until the custom-made pieces can be properly printed? It wouldn't be pretty, but as long as we consider them prototype, it might allow us to hit the ground running."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:34 pm

"I've already started the process to build the larger framework, since none of the rest should require pieces of that size and won't interfere with anything else. I recommend focusing on points 2 and 3 for now since they'll be relatively quick to complete. I already have a spare processing core and uplink module that simply needs to be removed from the exploration drone it's in, which will speed the process up significantly while we adapt some of your limb designs."

"It's really quite a shame that Conduit is so deranged. Her intuitive understanding of the Danger Room's hard-light emitters would allow for some incredibly adaptive drone designs."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:04 pm

"Would Heather help? She's Conduit's counterpart in this dimension is she not?" As an afterthought, she adds, "I took the liberty of peeking at old mission files."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:42 pm

"She is, but her capabilities are less developed. I've intentionally kept her from being immersed too much in all of this technology to help her avoid a similar fate. She literally talks to machines, so there's a severe risk of her not developing a healthy social behavior if left to focus on that. You're at a similar risk, but you're older and more capable of making your own decisions in that regard. The last thing we need is two or even three Conduits."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:46 pm

"Our powers are... not really compatible. If anything, she's more directly powerful than I am. Once she has control of something, I can't take control of it away from her. I tried when I first found her in the Point. I was just lucky she didn't think me in a cell was a threat until I'd had time to worm my way into the system through your connection."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 pm

"Which is clever in it's own way, but also lead to this. Point is, Heather has been treated and groomed as a potential weapon all her life. The fact that she's so carefree about it only proves how easy it would be for her to slip into worse things without feeling bad about it. It doesn't take a genius to see why Conduit is the way she is. She's replaced the need for social interaction and basic empathy with machines. She still craves it on some level but she's so immersed in her power that the only way she can conceive to reach out is to literally place people within the machine and force them to act out things she no doubt picked up from other artificial and electronic replacements for human interaction. Cable television. Machines and technology have saturated her and they would saturate Heather as well if she's not given room to develop outside of it."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:36 pm

"Fair enough," Natalie says as her secondary process begins coughing up the data on the memory formatting into a different view. "I think with some rewriting I can alter the storage to better handle my memories. It won't be a huge gain, but it will be *a* gain."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:16 pm

"Anything helps. It might be helpful to design an algorithm to sort memories and discard unnecessary information, find a balance between normal human memory and photographic clarity for the sake of long-term viability. Maybe buffer the discarded details and push them into an external backup so they're not completely lost?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:33 pm

"That's worth a shot. I'll need to figure out the triggers for what gets committed to memory and write a process to manage that. I'll want to set up a proper storage location before I get started on this. Would you assign me some space on the highest speed storage you can spare? The write needs to be high speed. Read access can be somewhat lower priority."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:48 pm

"Sure. I'll hook it into the school network, so you can access it whenever you need it."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:53 pm

"I'd appreciate it," she says. "Can you extrapolate the basics of what structure we'd need to change in the face of this body to get closer to my own? Not looking for a final product, just a basic idea. I'm kind of preoccupied trying to rework the body storage."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:20 pm

"Sure, but you should really work on that yourself. It'll be your face for the foreseeable future." she says as the diagram of Ashlie's 'skull' disassembles, the outer pieces pulling away and making the various segments more obvious. Next to it a smaller image shows an extrapolation of the end-result as a couple isolated pieces are highlighted as the most easily modifiable ones. They start reshaping themselves in an oddly oscillating manner. Bit by bit parts are locked in as Ashlie progressively works her way through them as the extrapolation slowly changes. Cheekbones de-emphasized, cheeks filled in, jawline more rounded, eye-lids adjusted and brow moved. It's far from perfect, Ashlie has some fairly distinct and sharp facial features that these changes don't entirely manage to hide, but it's closer to Natalie than her.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:35 pm

"I intend to work on it, but you're probably better at getting the basics of the structure in place than I am. I'll obviously need to make adjustments. I'm still working on multi-tasking in this body. We have quite a few difficult tasks to tackle and time is of the essence, so I'm making use of the resources available. Is that a problem?" In the body and on a nearby machine, Natalie's brain was busy writing a program to reformat the body's memory into an unorthodox format that seemed to maintain some semblance of photographic clarity yet relied on extrapolating some bits of information in order to achieve better compression. There's no way that information wouldn't be lost in the compression, but there seemed to be some sort of acceptability level built into it.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:42 pm

"I'm not sure that's accurate, but I can certainly prepare the canvass, so to speak. Case in point, your approach to the memory compression is fascinating. Human data processing, especially visual input, is uniquely efficient yet faulty at the same time, it's very interesting to see how you're approaching it."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:15 pm

"Memory is imperfect on it's face. While it would be tempting to remember every detail, I don't personally have a photographic memory, so I can't even begin to imagine what shortcuts a brain would take to make that possible. For now, the best way is a compression format that attempts to divine the unimportant details and compress those with acceptable loss rates. It gains on space at the cost of data and some of the data lost might be important, but those details can go to the secondary storage. That's why the writes need to be fast. It's a lot of information."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:32 pm

"It's much more efficient than how my code is forced to comb through visual data. At some point I might have to look into how you did this."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:43 pm

"You're welcome to the code when I'm done," she says, sharing the location where she's been saving her work. After several hours of work, she finally pauses. "It's so much easier to work when your body doesn't get tired of sitting," she comments, "I think I'm ready to attempt a partial reformat to see how well this works."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:49 am

"I wouldn't know the difference, but it certainly allows you to get a lot of work done. In case you haven't yet, creating small toolbox programs for task is very helpful. Especially for maintenance work." she says, basically describing her own version of muscle memory. As they'd been working in silence one of the workstations has filled up with various designs for Ashlie's new body, slowly taking shape around the central core and basic skeleton.

"Go ahead then. Testing it on more trivial memories first?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:39 pm

"Picking trivial memories is difficult," Natalie says with a shrug, "But I think I have a few that will work." She pulls up the memories and starts running them through the process. The compression is good. Without Natalie's processing code, they become largely illegible to a cursory scan from Ashlie, but Natalie's power reaches out to access the newly formatted memories. "Okay, so far so good. Those seem to be suitably intact. At the very least they're within acceptable parameters."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:12 pm

"Excellent. They don't parse for me, so that's good. Storing your memories in an easily readable format would not be very secure."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:27 pm

"The formatting's probably crackable, but actual full-on encryption would cause delays in ready access," she says, giving the memories one last glance before she starts pushing other memories through the process. "This could take a bit. Some of these memories are extensive."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:46 pm

After several hours of processing, during which Natalie does little else except monitor the process, she gives a sigh. "Okay, that's done. Looks like I managed to recover between 5% and 10% of this body's storage space as a rough estimate. Not a lot, but it's a little extra time. Want me to get started on adjusting the face or is there something else I need to look into?"
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:48 pm

"No, I think that should be your main--" she interrupts herself and is quiet for a couple seconds.

"There's been a complication. I just received a phone-call from the Maldon Police Department, requesting my presence. Apparently some students caused an altercation last night..."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:51 pm

"That's... not going to be possible unless we can switch places," Natalie says, frowning.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:54 pm

"Yes, I'm rather indisposed right now. I tried to convince them of it, but apparently there's a lack of paperwork and identification involved that they insist needs solving."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:00 pm

"I can go in your place. As long as you can feed me the necessary information, I can get the situation handled. The modulator can still mimic your voice."
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:33 pm

"I'll compile what documentation I have."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty