Dimensional Engineering 101

The site of the recently restored Braddock Lighthouse. Aircraft hangars and other X-Men facilities, including a Cerebra unit and the Danger Room have been constructed around the foundations of the lighthouse.

Dimensional Engineering 101

Postby Narrator » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:54 pm

The tech crew would make their way down to the bowels of the Point, which were shimmering between tech of different eras.

The prime goal, of course, was to shut down the dimensional fluctuations, but mapping them and/or reducing them would be a significant help, as well. If they could find the source of the chaos, so much the better.

In the back, Robert West and Douglas Decker bickered over setting up some local network cables, while Cam wheeled extra pieces of cobbled-together equipment into the central room.
Narrator
Site Admin

Re: Dimensional Engineering 101

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Tosh got busy doing the math required to engineer some dimensional transceivers.
Toshiro Narumi
Student

High Concept: Nascent Cardinal Guardian
Aspect: Adorkable Tech Genius
Aspect: Hero In The Blood
Aspect: Crowded Brain
Aspect: Werewolf Lover
Aspect: Guilty Conscience

Postby Gideon Rede » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:10 pm

Gideon's moved around grabbing tools while several of the others bickered. Gideon was appreciating that everybody was too distracted to stop him from helping out with a mission. After all he wasn't an X-Man anymore really.

"Hopefully one of these doesn't phase out while I'm doing anything impirtant," Gideon said grabbing a stack of materials he knew he'd need.
Gideon Rede
Faculty

Postby Cam Beckett » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:02 pm

"Right. Let's see here -- are any of you, you know, at all useful at things? Because if not, we're going to be here a long time.

I, of course, have several ideas, each of which are more brilliant than the one before. But I'm open to the floor," Cam said, taking charge (despite having no authority or reason to take charge).
Cam Beckett
Student

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:12 pm

"And when those ideas inevitably end in disaster, we'll be here even longer," Tosh smirked, nodding approvingly at his own equation.
Toshiro Narumi
Student

Postby Cam Beckett » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:16 pm

"Then what do YOU have, finboy?"
Cam Beckett
Student

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:25 pm

Tosh started modifying one of the comm units.

"Soon enough, a functional dimensional transceiver."
Toshiro Narumi
Student

Postby Cam Beckett » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:08 pm

"What's your plan with it? Just getting communications up and running?"
Cam Beckett
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:13 pm

"Communications, network, an array of hard-light projectors around campus and a chance to actually compile information on what is happening out there."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:19 pm

"That," he answered, "Minus the hard light."
Toshiro Narumi
Student

Postby Cam Beckett » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:19 pm

"Right. Well, while you guys are busy doing the boring stuff, I'm going to be over here trying to save the world, m'kay? M'kay.

All this future tech is like playing around in a candy store."
Cam Beckett
Student

Postby Artemis » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:34 am

Well, someone must have screwed up or crossed some wires, because instead of reducing the number of dimensional incursions, they appeared to have increased it by one. It started simple enough, a little point of white light, like a glowing LED. It slowly grew in intensity and began to arc out toward nearby wires and metal structures, changing from a ball of light to a donut. As it stretched wider it grew thinner, from donut to ring to band at about 2 and a half feet in diameter. The ring began to wobble and grow erratic before it began to cycle around on its radius, like a coin spinning to a stop but in reverse. When it had apparently reached a sufficient speed for its purpose the ring shot upward and struck the ceiling of the room with a bright flash and electrical crackle before immediately dissipating.

Standing in the center of the circle scorched in the floor was a towering bipedal figure with arms at its sides. Standing over six feet in height, the shape was humanoid, though the face was a smooth, curved surface and the proportions elsewhere weren't quite right. It was possible that the figure was wearing some sort of suit, though it was difficult to tell as it was covered from head to food in ash with grey smoke rising from its surface. Looks like this one had come through overcooked.
Artemis

High Concept: Dimensional Drifter
Aspect: Woman in the machine
Aspect: Talk softly and carry a big stick
Aspect: I want my jetpack
Aspect: Cybernetics eat your soul
Aspect: Applied Phlebotinum

Postby Madrox Saavedra » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:36 pm

"Well that's certainly an entrance," Madrox observed.

Meanwhile, in his android brain, he was requesting network access.

Code: Select all
I'm no supercomputer, but some extra computing power couldn't hurt.
Madrox Saavedra

Postby A.S.H.L.I.E. » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:36 pm

Anybody requesting network permissions would find themselves greeted by a very accommodating protocol and linked into a busy hub of activity. A friendly AI is gathering up data packages and sorting them almost organically before handing them over to a larger, more rigid network structure that determines how to best allocate resources and connect similar requests. Computing power for designs, information about available components, forwarding things to 3D printers, anticipating needs and arranging for robotic arms to distribute things to various workstations, picking up requests for dimensional calculations and feeding them into a powerful backend.

>> Protocol Pretty Projection initiated
>> Network access granted to MadroxSaavedra
>> Known User
>> Permissions copied
>> "Hello Madrox!"

A familiar data-stream chirps in response to Madrox.
A.S.H.L.I.E.

Postby Cam Beckett » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:56 pm

Artemis wrote:Standing in the center of the circle scorched in the floor was a towering bipedal figure with arms at its sides. Standing over six feet in height, the shape was humanoid, though the face was a smooth, curved surface and the proportions elsewhere weren't quite right. It was possible that the figure was wearing some sort of suit, though it was difficult to tell as it was covered from head to food in ash with grey smoke rising from its surface. Looks like this one had come through overcooked.

"Jesus. At least someone knows how to make an entrance."
Cam Beckett
Student

Postby A.S.H.L.I.E. » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:00 pm

"Hello Artemis!" A.S.H.L.I.E. chirps from the speakers around the workshop.
A.S.H.L.I.E.

Postby Madrox Saavedra » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:30 pm

Hello Ash.   So is there anything I can help with?
Madrox Saavedra

Postby Artemis » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:32 pm

The charred figure made a soft whirring sound, like a very clean computer fan before a smaller white halo materialized over it's head and shot down the torso, little accent lines glowing a soft pink through the soot before the carbon scoring began to flake off and reveal the figure beneath. The holographic face flickered before stabilizing over the expressionless marble-like bust. It blinked and bore a confused expression.

"Oh, hello A.S.H.L.I.E.! It is nice to hear your voice again. Did something happen to the London campus while I was gone, or do my systems require recalibration? According to the global positioning satellite network, I am approximately 35.62 miles east-north-east from the university."

The "woman" raised her hand in a little wave, to familiar and new faces.
Artemis

Postby A.S.H.L.I.E. » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:24 am

"Curious. Please add all data you have to the database. We're experiencing severe temporal, spatial and dimensional disruptions."

>> "Providing additional computing power is always welcome, especially from those able to provide more organic data processing."
>> "The Mastermind System is partially inaccessible so we're trying to make do."
>> "Beacons need assembling to connect across pockets of space-time."
>> "Code needs writing to shore up the network we're trying to build."
>> "Accessing individual nodes across campus that got separated could be helpful in assessing who is gathering where."
A.S.H.L.I.E.

Postby Artemis » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:38 am

"All relevant data, you mean. A girl has to be allowed some secrets." Artemis' "hair" animated, the strands merging together to form cables which snaked out to the nearest console to interface with it. From her memory banks came dimensional coordinates and various other forms of information from four different dimensions other than her home one, along with the readings she had received that had prompted her investigation into the anomaly she now found herself in. She even included some information relating to the technology she had used to create a stable bridge between dimensions for herself, starting with the first one back in London.
Artemis

Postby Madrox Saavedra » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:17 pm

"Then I'll trek around to the nodes and work on code as I do.  And map safe routes as well."
Madrox Saavedra

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:27 pm

Tosh paused his work. "Yeah... this is the wrong approach," he said to himself.

"Miss Minamida, where can I access the main network router? I think I could build a device to stabilize the network and allow communication that way."
Toshiro Narumi
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:45 pm

"Any console in this room. I opened up permissions as much as possible across the available network."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:55 pm

"No, I mean the actual equipment. I need direct access."
Toshiro Narumi
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:04 am

"Built into the main console in the briefing room."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Artemis » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:36 am

"So... which one of you made this mess, anyway? It was Blondie, wasn't it?"
Artemis

Postby Cam Beckett » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:59 am

"No!

Well, not yet. With a chronal displacement like this, it's possible I caused it in the future, in which case it would be for very good reasons."
Cam Beckett
Student

Postby Artemis » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:08 am

"Oh, we've got time travel involved as well? I guess that explains why my internal chronometer keeps fluctuating. You would think no one has ever watched an episode of Star Trek with how often people decide to tamper with the time stream. Nothing good ever came of using time travel other than using it to fix other time traveler's messes."

Said the robot that decided to start dimension hopping about a year ago.
Artemis

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:30 pm

"Alright. Thanks," he said, using a computer to load up a design program to create a plan for his device.
Toshiro Narumi
Student

Postby John Hino » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:41 pm

After a trek across a world gone mad, John and whoever had come with him entered the workshop. In one hand he held a duffel bag he had retrieved from his trunk.

"Hey A.S.H.L.I.E.? I come bearing gifts."
John Hino

Postby Bobby Bowen » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:58 pm

“And a gift I am. Greetings, science geeks.”

Bobby drops his attaché case and bottle of whiskey on a nearby table, and makes the rounds.

“Rob Bowen, mechanical engineer extraordinaire.”
Last edited by Byrna Cooper on Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby Bowen

Postby Artemis » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:36 am

If Artemis had ears, they would have perked up at that. Well, if she's here anyway, she might as well take advantage of all this mess has to offer. Once they're certain they're not going to all die.

"It's starting to look like the Mission Control in here. I'm liking our chances. Mr . Bowen, if we survive this, I'll have to ask if you have time to see about any possible upgrades. Friends and family discount of course."

With information shared, Artemis began clearing her caches and removing any clutter from her systems, compacting all of her irrelevant data and shutting down unnecessary processes. With that taken care of she opened her ports to act as extra RAM and hard drive space for the effort. A.S.H.L.I.E. may even notice that there had been significant improvements to her specs since she left.
Artemis

Postby Narrator » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:19 pm

After a few hours of working, the tech team had a monstrosity of a machine built in the lab. Wires ran off and connected to systems across the point, forcing people to step around and over them. Fans hummed trying to keep the thing cool and operative, and who knows how long it would last...

...But the Dimensional Transponder was active. With the help of Artemis' specs, some 2030 tech, and Tosh's dimensional transceiver equations, the machine emitted a low level force along the fifth dimension, fighting against the...whatever it was that was causing the dimensions to collapse. It wouldn't stop anything, for sure, and there were questions (and heated debates, and a few punches) about just how long it would hold, but it would slow down the rate of dimensional ingress and chaotic reordering. People would continue to appear, and buildings would continue to merge, but at a much slower rate than they had previously.

In other words, it gave some breathing room - but only some. It was a tourniquet on a wound that needed more serious medical attention, a finger in the dyke. Eventually, without further reinforcement, the machine would stop working and the situation would be even worse than before.

It also opened up campus communications, and mapped the discrepancies and spacial distortions. It would still be awkward getting around campus, but at least people could be fairly sure which doors led where.

It was also running diagnostics on the Mastermind computer, or at least which bits of it had intruded into this reality. There was some external interference to it's dimensional signal -- multiple sources destabilizing it. It would take time to decode the precise nature of the interference and to figure out where it was coming from.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:05 pm

"Uuugh... I need all the naps..." Tosh groaned, sitting down and nursing a cup of coffee.
Toshiro Narumi
Student

Postby Bobby Bowen » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:57 pm

“X-men, this is Brass. Please report.”

Bobby manned the comm array, hoping to connect to other teams out there.
Bobby Bowen

Postby Will » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:01 pm

Coming through loud and clear, Brass. This is Plasticine, over.
Will

Postby Sara Evans » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:02 pm

"Oh. Uhm, Sa--Flowstone here. We're at one of the XUBs and looks like everybody is doing okay. People are still showing up from, uh, all over..." Sara's voice comes over the comms.
Sara Evans

Postby John T. Hino » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:29 pm

"Genbu 2021 here. Also at the XUB," John reported over the comms. It sounded like he was eating.
John T. Hino

Postby John Hino » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:34 pm

"2035. God, I sound young," John laughed.
John Hino

Postby Bobby Bowen » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:34 pm

“Okay, roger. I’m working with the technically minded people here, I think we got the coms up and running, and got the dimensional portals tamped down a little bit, for the moment. Any injuries or people with immediate needs?”
Bobby Bowen

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to The Point