[Social] This Sucks Ash

The site of the recently restored Braddock Lighthouse. Aircraft hangars and other X-Men facilities, including a Cerebra unit and the Danger Room have been constructed around the foundations of the lighthouse.

[Social] This Sucks Ash

Postby Drake Martin » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:25 pm

The stone-coated and sooty-clothed Drake watched In as a tiny bird of fire flitted about before him. With a sudden flash it exploded back into a Cerberus.

"Damnit! Stay tiny!" he fumed, stomping the ground and sending up and puff of ash. He was keeping the fiery "pet" a manageable size for longer each time, but he was getting frustrated by being relegated to the Danger Room and infirmary until he can either control it or turn it off.

In response, the hellhound blazed brighter.

(open)
Drake Martin
Student

High Concept: Dragonsouled
Aspect: Flyboy
Aspect: Genoshan Agent
Aspect: Bookwyrm

Re: This Sucks Ash

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:59 pm

"Try to stay calm." Ashlie's voice comes over the intercom. "Heightened emotional states strongly correlate with lessened control and stronger manifestations of powers. It will take some time to get used to different powers than what you're used to. Try to remember the first time you used your wings. New muscles need new muscle memories."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Drake Martin » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:29 pm

Breathe in. Breathe out.

"I don't plan on remaining this way. I just can't stand being cooped up."
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:21 am

"We're looking into what happened and X-Corp is monitoring a number of people affected for signs of their powers fading, but until we can reconstruct enough of Conduit's machine to actually determine what she did to you there isn't a lot we can do. Your genetic profile is stable. Epigenetics are still being analyzed, but there's a chance that this is not going to revert on it's own."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Drake Martin » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:23 pm

"A dragon is who I am. Not whatever this is," he said bitterly.

"If I can't be that, if I can't fly, I don't know who I am."
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:21 pm

"I understand your plight, I do, but there is a good chance what is keeping you from a larger amount of control, what is keeping you in here for safety reasons, is exactly that disdain. It happens to many mutants when their powers first manifest. You can't control what you're unwilling to engage with."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Drake Martin » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:40 pm

"Then what do I do? I may have managed it during the fight, but my powers were so much a part of who I am that I don't know how to accept this."
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:08 pm

"We do have a counselor on staff, but in the short term, how did you manage during the fight? Adrenaline and stress play a part in it, but it might help to put yourself in that mindset to get a better feel for how to flex your new proverbial muscles."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Drake Martin » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:16 pm

"I reminded myself I'm still the same on the inside. But that doesn't seem to be working now."
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:15 pm

"It's a sensible place to start. Identity is a difficult subject at times even for regular people. And it's not impossible that we'll be able to reverse this, right now focus on reigning it in, not anything too elaborate. Try not to force it, find a natural resting point. Once you don't have to be cooped up in here you'll feel better too." Plus they would eventually need the room for Tereza and Vivienne, but Drake doesn't need that kind of pressure right now.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Drake Martin » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:42 pm

"The biggest problem is that the natural resting point seems to be big flaming hellhound."
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:00 pm

"Okay, perhaps a point requiring some effort instead. Just try to slowly move there instead of forcefully trying to wrench it into shape."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Drake Martin » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:19 pm

Drake calmed himself and focused on slowly molding the fire like clay. Gradually it began to shrink as he carved bits away and morph into something more preferable. But the changes stalled as his impatience got the better of him.

"Come ooon... be a dragon already," he complained in the way only teenagers can.
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:56 pm

"It will get there. Worry about specifics later, let it take a small form you don't have to force so much."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Drake Martin » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:18 pm

At the risk of stealing a cosmic being's shtick, Drake let it settle into its Greek groove and take the form of a small phoenix. It flapped over and settled on his shoulder. Somehow it didn't set anything he was wearing on fire.

"I guess that'll do," he said, "Well, it's a start anyway."
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:43 pm

"Well done. You'll get the hang of it and we have plenty of resources for learning better control, don't hesitate to ask if you could use the help."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Drake Martin » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:18 pm

"Thanks," he responded, smiling slightly. Well, maybe. It was hard to tell with his rocky exterior.

"How long should I wait before I can leave?"
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:33 pm

"Give it twenty minutes and if it stays under control you're okay to take off."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty