[Plot] Kids with Guns

The site of the recently restored Braddock Lighthouse. Aircraft hangars and other X-Men facilities, including a Cerebra unit and the Danger Room have been constructed around the foundations of the lighthouse.

Re: Kids with Guns

Postby Will Stanton » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:00 pm

Will's power could apparently not shift the hard-light platform, because, well, it wasn't "real". The clay was slowly creeping up the rest of his body, so presumably, whatever it was the science boffins had done was working.
Will Stanton
Student

High Concept: Pillsbury Clayboy
Aspect: Needs to be Useful/Used
Aspect: Out of Place, Out of Time
Aspect: Unique Worldview
Aspect: Big Ball of Trauma
Aspect: Open-Hearted

Postby Natalie Denisov » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:59 pm

More hardlight moves upward from the edges, turning the "wall" into more of a "shallow tray" as Guardian elevates it slightly off the floor. "Just in case," the modulated voice says from the armor.
Natalie Denisov
Student

High Concept: Ghost In The Machine
Aspect: More Comfortable With Things
Aspect: Quad-Core Mind
Aspect: Lighthouse Keeper
Aspect: Sufficiently Advanced Technology

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:28 pm

"It looks like his original powers are past fifty percent recovery."

Satisfied, Tosh moved back to the scanner.
Toshiro Narumi
Student

High Concept: Nascent Cardinal Guardian
Aspect: Adorkable Tech Genius
Aspect: Hero In The Blood
Aspect: Crowded Brain
Aspect: Werewolf Lover
Aspect: Guilty Conscience

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:38 pm

"Very good. His brain getting converted might be a critical junction but it's looking promising."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Will Stanton » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:23 pm

Will gave out a moan as the clay overtook his chest and head, his body losing form and definition as he sort of melted into a big ol' clay blob.

Tosh's scanner seemed to show everything going well, Will's readings steadily approaching his baseline ones.
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:12 pm

"Almooost theeere..." Tosh said expectantly. They were past the most likely point of failure but he was still afraid something could go wrong.
Toshiro Narumi
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:32 am

Will groaned, moving one hand to his head as he regained consciousness. "That...sucked. Unpleasantly so."
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:16 pm

"How are your powers doing? Back to normal?" he asked with more concern than clinical curiosity. He was never very good at scientific detachment.
Toshiro Narumi
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:43 pm

"Well, let's see here," Will said, reaching out and touching Tosh on the shoulder.

Nothing happened.

"Well, that's a good sign, at the very least."
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:44 pm

"Not so happy I was the test, but I am happy you seem to be back to your old self," he smiled.

"But to be sure, do something shifty."
Toshiro Narumi
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:27 pm

"What, like sign you up for a multi-level marketing scheme?"

But, to assuage Tosh's fears, Will ran through a few basic shifting exercises, just to show that the process had worked.
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:29 pm

Tosh gave him a thumbs-up, "We'll need to be on the lookout for side-effects, but this is very promising."
Toshiro Narumi
Student

Postby Will Stanton » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:37 pm

"So," Will said, turning to the Science Boffin Team.

"What the fuck was all this? How on earth did someone...I mean, to figure out how to do this, they must be lightyears ahead of us on our research of mutations, yeah? We're playing catch-up, if we're going to prevent this from happening to anyone else."
Will Stanton
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:39 pm

"Those unscrupulous enough will always be ahead simply on account of disregarding any potential damage done. And Conduit took a sledgehammer to something to observe the cracks. That will always be easier than fixing something."

"That said, if she has the resources she could do this again. Or worse."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Natalie Denisov » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:43 pm

"And worse along these technological lines would invariably involve the Citadel," Clarion chimes in.
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:33 pm

"Am I correct in assuming that that is a scenario we would want to avoid?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Kids with Guns

Postby Natalie Denisov » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:40 pm

“Let’s just say that they have countermeasures if a dimension gets out of hand or threatens the other dimensions. Those countermeasures might not fit a conventional definition of proportional response.”
Natalie Denisov
Student

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:22 pm

"Yeeeaaah, let's... try to avoid that totally un-gnarly fate," he said, not noticing the Bruce-like surferism.
Toshiro Narumi
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:21 pm

Ashlie quirks an eye at Tosh.

"Well, hopefully it won't come to that. In the meantime, we have a lot of data crunching to do if we want to adapt this method to help those we do not have a convenient 'Before' sample of. Let's reconvene here with everyone who needs help and is willing to take the risk of experimental treatment in 48 hours."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:46 pm

He stifled a yawn. "Well then, my first order of business is to take a much needed nap. I'm beat."
Toshiro Narumi
Student

Postby Drake Martin » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:19 pm

48 hours later...

Drake arrived a few minutes early, anxious to get himself put right, dressed in his school-issued training suit in preparation for whatever unexpected thing might happen.
Drake Martin
Student

High Concept: Dragonsouled
Aspect: Flyboy
Aspect: Genoshan Agent
Aspect: Bookwyrm

Postby Narrator » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:32 pm

Following shortly after Drake is an unfamiliar face, walking unsteadily and rigidly, every step careful and deliberate. Anything more than a passing glance makes it obvious that under her clothes, her entire body is that of a plain mannequin with just her head flesh and blood. Everything below her neck is a mass of thin tendrils that extent into the prosthetic body, operating it and constantly twitching and flailing against it's confines. She offers a nervous smile and with some effort manages to lift up the body's hand as a kind of wave.

Behind her Danny is awkwardly shuffling forward on her snake body, looking extremely grumpy.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:32 pm

"That's almost everyone. I believe Miss Crusek will be joining us as well, but in the meantime, let me give you a quick explanation." Ashlie says from where she's standing in front of a workbench with several vials and syringes on top, as well as a complicated model of a protein slowly rotating on the screen. "This is a model of Mutant Growth hormone, in short the molecule responsible for the manifestation of mutant powers. It comes in countless subtle variations, linked to the particulars of a given power. I won't bore you with the details, but the presence and shape of this protein is responsible for your powers."

"When you were hit by the energy beam, it warped existing powers and manifested new ones, rewiring your biology. We were able to undo the damage in Will Stanton because we had data on his original MGH available. That is not the case for you, unfortunately. I do believe we have come up with an approach, but it might be... tricky. From all the data available from your samples, Will's, the drug circulating in the streets and what little I could piece together from Lippincott's lab, we have determined a sort of 'neutral' MGH Prion. In theory this should strip the specific form of your mutation and give it a chance to re-manifest in a more natural way."

"Based on what we know this will be dependent on a number of factors. Mental state, your surroundings and even religious or philosophical believes. For those of you with pre-existing powers we believe it will help to focus on your former power, surround yourself with things that remind you of it and perhaps even recreate the circumstances of when the first manifested. For Miss DiScivolare and Miss Karelia I'm afraid this won't work, but I do believe it will alleviate some of your problems with controlling your powers at the very least. Being forcibly mutated like this I suspect it did not grant you the instinctual reflexes and muscle memory that usually come with mutations. You would still have to train those new instincts, but you would no longer have to try and steer a non-human body with reflexes meant for arms and legs."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Haley Crusek » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:39 pm

Haley stood rigid with her arms crossed over her chest. She looked like hell, her hair unwashed for... Probably quite some time and put into an extremely messy ponytail, and dark circles under her eyes.

"So there's a chance I could screw this up and wind up with different powers?"
Haley Crusek
Student

High Concept: Pint-sized Powerhouse
Aspect: Wannabe hero
Aspect: Shitty psychic
Aspect: Hothead
Aspect: Walmart-brand Tinkerbell

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:48 pm

"Possibly. Evidence is more and more pointing towards there being certain... striations to powers that run along lines of similarities dependent on factors we've yet to fully understand. For you telekinesis, ranged manipulation, destructive properties and raw power at the cost of control seem to be some of the touchstones, but truthfully we don't know for certain. It is unlikely it would deviate significantly but I can't promise it will return to exactly how it was either. I cannot stress enough how highly experimental this is."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Haley Crusek » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:56 pm

Haley's face fell. "Well...can't get much worse than randomly disintegrating things that I touch," she grumbled to herself softly.

"So do we...bring this stuff home, and wait until we're ready to re-create our powers and then take the stuff?"
Haley Crusek
Student

High Concept: Pint-sized Powerhouse
Aspect: Wannabe hero
Aspect: Shitty psychic
Aspect: Hothead
Aspect: Walmart-brand Tinkerbell

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:25 pm

"That is up to you, but I would recommend using the Danger Room or at least some kind of supervision. The counselor is on stand-bye if you feel you need to be more emotionally prepared as well. One thing we know for a fact is that music has an effect in mood, metaphorical and literal interpretation, but ultimately it's context. Imagine an energy of near limitless potential trying to find a shape, a way to purposefully affect the world and latching on to whatever it can find. And that seems to include unpredictable leaps of logic or interpretation that extent as far as fairy tales and make-belief if the amount of mythologically inspired mutations that exist are any indication. Or it might go for the painfully literal."

"Simply put, you should do what you feel is best for you."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Drake Martin » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:44 pm

"I'll just load a dragon's lair and crank up some Dragonforce. That should do it," Drake said.
Drake Martin
Student

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:03 am

"I'd recommend some personal touches as well. If not recreating the circumstances of your powers emerging, then at least a reminder or two," Tosh supplied from the sidelines.
Toshiro Narumi
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:36 pm

"Right, yes. I've earmarked you for priority Danger Room access for this. If you want I'll be present to supervise, as can be a counselor if you want."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Drake Martin » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:15 am

"I'll be fine. But I suppose an additional safety net in case it goes pear shaped won't hurt my pride."
Drake Martin
Student

Previous

Topic attributes:

Return to The Point