Living on the Edge!

The site of the recently restored Braddock Lighthouse. Aircraft hangars and other X-Men facilities, including a Cerebra unit and the Danger Room have been constructed around the foundations of the lighthouse.

Re: Living on the Edge!

Postby Vinny Patterson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:29 am

"I don't know! It wasn't THERE a moment ago!" Vinny complained, swerving.

Across the open planes of eastern England, a mongol horde rode. Among their noble and majestic numbers was a Skoda minivan.

"What the hell! I thought England was a safe country!"
Vinny Patterson

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:31 am

"That's not native!" Basil blurted out, leaning over his shoulder to look out the windows around them.

"They're on every side of us!" Basil was trying not to panic as falling unconscious was not going to help either of them. He looked to the glove box quickly and opened it up to see if there was anything inside.
Basil Benson
Student

High Concept: Unwitting Heir to a Secret Legacy
Aspect: More Money Than Sense
Aspect: Ward of Unwanted Protectors
Aspect: Inconsistently Invisible
Aspect: Weirdness Magnet
Aspect: Covert Pervert

Postby Vinny Patterson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:29 am

There was a cell phone.

"Quick! Call Amy!"
Vinny Patterson

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:33 am

Basil did as he was instructed to, though he was uncertain how she was going to help. As he waited for it to ring he began peeling off his layers quickly.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Amy Myers » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:37 am

After a couple of tense rings Amy finally answers her phone.

"Hey Vinny! What's up?" she asks cheerfully.
Amy Myers

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:44 am

"Don't hang up we're in trouble! "Basil blurted out abruptly. "We went for a drive and mongols are chasing us some several kilometers south of the school! Send help, but not yourselves! Colette and you need to find somewhere safe!"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Amy Myers » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:49 am

"Basil? Wh--" she gets in before Basil interrupts her with what sounds like crazy-talk. "Mongols? What? Is Vinny there? What's going on?"
Amy Myers

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:52 am

"I-" Basil doesn't even try to explain further. "Yes, he is." "Would you like a go at explaining to your girlfriend in a manner she finds believable that we are going to die?" Basil asks Vinny, holding the phone out to him ready to take hold of the wheel if Vinny loses control.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Vinny Patterson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:16 am

"Amy! Hi! Mongols are attacking my van! You're also not my girlfriend!" Vinny said, half-panicked, half-thrilled as he swove the van through the unexpected traffic.

The fact the horses could keep up with the van was...well, disturbing to him.
Vinny Patterson

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:10 pm

The complete lack of tact caused Basil to winch physically. Normally Basil would admonish the other boy to let a girl down a bit easier, but this was not the time to parse out the finer points of social etiquette. Instead he was taking his shirt off, and kicking off his shoes.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Amy Myers » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:26 pm

Somewhere a couple kilometers away Amy is on the verge of panicking. Vinny doesn't sound like he's pulling her leg and she'd heard some people hurrieldy running around as if some sort of emergency was going on. Almost instinctively she's already running for the outside, in case she loses control, but as she's running she only gets more worried. Sure, Basil can turn invisible and Vinny intangible, but that's no guarantee they'll be alright. Especially if they crash that shitty van. By the time she reaches the front door of the dorm she's made up her mind.

"Hang on, okay? I'll... I'll try to get there fast!" she doesn't wait for a response before hanging up and cramming the phone in her pocket. Getting distracted would be bad. As she's running across the school's driveway she tries to focus on one thing and one thing only. Get to Vinny and Basil. No big deal. The sky is empty. She can do straight lines no problem. Anything after that is a problem for later. With those thoughts in mind she lets her power yank herself into the air. In a beam of light she goes racing across the sky towards the south, pushing herself to go as fast as she can as the wind whips around her face.
Amy Myers

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Basil was oblivious currently to the situation with Amy, but was already concocting a plan of his own.

" You need to keep this piece of shit running as long as possible Vinny. If we don't make it back onto campus, when it dies we'll have to make a mad dash into the woods where it's difficult to follow on horseback.

When that happens you'll need to make sure the van is broadside to the woods. Once the vehicle has stopped, do your trick and get yourself clear. Don't become tangible again until you've lost them.

Are you following all of this?"

As he spoke, Basil was unzipping his contact suit and routing around in his bag.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Vinny Patterson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:36 pm

"Right! Keep the car moving, broadside to the woods, run in a panic," Vinny said, swerving.

"What are you doing?!"
Vinny Patterson

Postby Amy Myers » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:53 pm

Amy tries to keep her eyes open against the wind, scanning the landscape ahead of her for any signs of Vinny's van. What she didn't anticipate was how easy it'd be to spot the huge Mongolian horde on horses. Making out the car from there was easy and she tries to will herself to slow down a little to keep pace with the car. Unfortunately this was about as far as she'd planned ahead and she isn't really sure where to go from here.

"Vinny! Basil!" she yells, maybe somewhat stupidly attracting the attention of the riders as well.
Amy Myers

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:09 pm

Basil was just about to answer Vinny, when he noticed Amy skimming along side of the van.

"God damn it Amy!" He exclaimed, shoving his phone inside his suit and quickly zipping up the collar. Basil followed that action by kicking open his door and holding out his arms(still visible only due to his contact suit) to try to catch her. These people, real mongols or fake, had yet to attack them. Basil did not expect their luck to hold out much longer however.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:14 pm

He was right! A couple arrows whizzed by Amy, slamming into the body of the van itself.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Amy Myers » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:23 pm

"Don't even start!" she shouts back at Basil, but grabs hold of his hand and let's him pull her inside, pulling her head between her shoulders when the arrows start to fly.
Amy Myers

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:19 pm

Perhaps unfortunate for Amy was that she now had to sit in Basil's lap. While he was in his spandex like suit. That also meant that Amy could feel his heart rate was elevated, but he seemed to be trying to steady it with some kind of mindful breathing tactic, something Vinny wouldn't have noticed from the seat across from him.

Basil didn't seem to think much on his rising panic or the fact Amy was at least temporarily ontop of him at the moment, instead trying to figure out how they were going to get Amy out of this mess now that she had decided to land herself into it.

"Amy, I was counting on Vinny's see-through state to scare the piss out of them and give me enough leeway to follow behind him. You're going to have to be between us if this van halts. DO NOT try to go above them or you will make yourself a target. Getting through them via whatever path Vinny's mutation may clear is safer. I promise I will be right behind you.

Do you understand?"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Amy Myers » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:29 pm

Amy apparently didn't really intend to stay seated, instead climbing over the seat and into the back of the car, probably introducing knees and feet to various parts of Basil, interspersed with her going "Sorry. Whoops. Watch it." until she finally manages to get in the back. "I dunno if getting out of the car is such a great idea, but I do think scaring them might work. Horses are pretty skittish!"

Basil probably wasn't going to be happy with what she does next though, which is to climb all the way to the back and unlatch the trunk, which swings upwards, revealing more horses and Mongols. She raises both her hands and the next moment a bright beam of light carves an erratic gouge into the ground behind them, making the riders immediately behind them scatter to the sides to avoid it.
Amy Myers

Postby Basil Benson » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:41 pm

"If this hoopty stalls we won't have the choice." Basil argues as Amy uses him like a jungle gym. Then he realized what was in her head.

"I was right. This is Asylum. And I am surrounded by lunatics." Basil states to no one but himself, staring off into space.

Not like anyone could tell.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Vinny Patterson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:24 am

The van sped up as they basically got an afterburner shooting out the back.

"Blue sparks!" Vinny shouted, apropos of nothing.

The Mongols behind the van DID in fact scatter, but now they were FLANKING it.
Vinny Patterson

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:36 am

"Superb. Now that they think we're a threat, they're going to force us to stop. Excellent. Good job team." While he was snarking everyone to keep his stress level down via making his discomfort a public fact, Basil's eyes were scanning about both inside and outside of the van towards anything that would save them, and decided one of the few things that might was his own passenger door. No sense is taking the pacifists way out at this point. If there was any likelihood of them being able to easily retreat and have the mongols ignore them, Amy had already popped the proverbial cork on that.

Squeezing his fist into a ball and going completely invisible, Basil waited patiently until one of the Mongols pulled up along side his window, and then smashed the door open forcefully, hoping to knock him off balance and maybe even shove off a few of his friends as well.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Vinny Patterson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:48 am

Mongols are excellent horsemen, known througout history for being very sturdy on their feet.

They were NOT known for being able to dodge INVISIBLE punches though, and Basil was able to knock one clear, sending a bit of a cascading pattern through the ranks.

"Good one!" Vinny called.
Vinny Patterson

Postby Amy Myers » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:01 am

"Yes, Mongols were known to negotiate with everyone!" Amy shouts back, not much less stressed than Basil, really. She climbs back into the back-seat and takes aim out of one of the windows instead, firing a beam parallel to the ground in front of a whole bunch of Mongols and their horses. Somewhere in the distance a tree explodes when the beam finally hits something.
Amy Myers

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:16 am

Basil heard the window smash inside the van door as he closed it. " Sorry!" He apologized. The door was only going to take a few more blows like that before it ripped off, so he decided to conserve it, in case somebody was actually stupid enough to get that close again.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Vinny Patterson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:11 am

"OK, this is great, but where should I drive to!" Vinny called.
Vinny Patterson

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:15 am

"Stick to the plan! Keep towards the Manor unless absolutely necessary! We're only going into the trees if we have to!"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Vinny Patterson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:19 am

"Man, I'm not sure how long this thing can go with people shooting it with arrows! That isn't in the owner's manual!"
Vinny Patterson

Postby Basil Benson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:26 am

"The closer we get back to the university the less length we have to run for it Vinny!"

"Think Basil. Think..Think..Think..."

"Amy! Stop shooting to scare them and focus on the ones with the bows! If we can get them to stop shooting at us we stand a better chance of not having to abandon the van!"

Basil looked out his window again, trying to see if that was all of them. He prayed to God it was not.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Amy Myers » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:19 am

Amy nods and tries to specifically take shots at anybody who is aiming a bow at the car, biting her lip in concentration as she tries to hold back enough to only slam them off their horse, sending them tumbling to the ground.
Amy Myers

Postby Narrator » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:08 am

Amy was scattering the ones in the rear. Huzzah!

But that meant the ones coming up the SIDE were regrouping. Anti Huzzah!

They charged, attempting to flank the van.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Basil Benson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:22 am

Basil watched and waited patiently for said flankers to get close. Very very very close. The kind of awkwardly close that would probably scare Vinny if he didn't know what was in Basil's head right now.

Vinny could literally see one of the mongols face to face before Basil struck. Snatching his arm out, he grabbed the Mongol's bow and attempted to yank it into the van with them.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Narrator » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:27 am

The mongol wasn't expecting that! Basil would have some difficulty navigating it into the van proper, but he could definitely acquire one (1) mongol longbow!

On the OTHER side, the mongols crashed into the van, denting the paneling and causing Vinny to swerve some.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Basil Benson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:29 am

"That's mine now. "

"Unless you've got a better idea, I think this might be the time to abandon ship!

We should take the passenger door with us! I can carry it if you can blast it free Amy! If you can, let me go first to get the damn thing!"
Last edited by Emilie on Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Vinny Patterson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:30 am

"I can't leave my baby!"
Vinny Patterson

Postby Basil Benson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:32 am

"If they keep that up they'll tip us and we'll die in this thing!"
Basil Benson
Student

Postby Vinny Patterson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:22 am

"I don't want to die in this thing, either!"
Vinny Patterson

Postby Amy Myers » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:06 pm

"We just have to make it back to the school! At least in here they can't really shoot us." she says, continuing to try and discourage Mongols from firing arrows at them by blasting them off their horses.
Amy Myers

Postby Narrator » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:59 pm

As if to un-prove Amy's point, an arrow flew through a window, shattering it, and whizzed past her head.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Basil Benson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:17 pm

Basil winced as the broken glass dusted his hair, this was getting too close for comfort.

"Sod this! I am done arguing! *I* can leave this situation as I please!" Basil cries out over the racket the Mongols are making around them, pointing out the fact if he wanted, he could jump free of all this undetected at any time. Granted, at this point he'd get trampled to death but still...

" You all need to decide if you want my assistance or not! Either make a better plan than mine right this minute, or we do mine!"
Last edited by Emilie on Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Basil Benson
Student

PreviousNext

Topic attributes:

Return to The Point