Sept. 2nd: Later That Night!

The site of the recently restored Braddock Lighthouse. Aircraft hangars and other X-Men facilities, including a Cerebra unit and the Danger Room have been constructed around the foundations of the lighthouse.

Sept. 2nd: Later That Night!

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:27 am

It was late at night when Rob returns to the lab. He has his messenger bag and looks much more interested in the equipment than earlier as he begins to look around.
Robert West
Student

Re: Sept. 2nd: Later That Night!

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:31 am

Ashlie, surprised to find the workshops active at this time, stands in the doorframe, watching curiously.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:50 am

Tossing his bag onto a workbench, he attempts to start everything up.

"I was at the supermarket," Rob begins singing. "Watching people cut in line...."

He does not seem to notice Ms. Minamida.
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:54 am

She doesn't go out of her way to hide her presence but she doesn't particularly announce it either, opting to just curiously watch how Rob seems to act when he's unaware he's being watched.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:05 am

"I started to think about human nature, what would you do if there was no more food?"

Rob takes a laptop, a tablet, and his phone out of his bag. He starts working to sync them up to the workbench like he was shown earlier.

"My mind began to wonder, about greed and hunger. And just how many other countries are getting ready for another war?"

Once everything is set up, he starts scrolling through the designs quickly. He seems to be looking for something.

"But the sun was shining and everything seemed fine. So count me in....I'll see you on the other side."

He works quickly and with confidence. He seems much different. Happier. Outgoing.

"Chemical bomb, chemical bomb, eyes melt, skin explodes, everybody dead! It won't be long, it won't be long, people gonna run around losing their heads. A river of blood, who's gonna live, the Earth is tired of human-kind...."

Okay, maybe a little bit crazier too.
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:09 am

"That's a very bleak interpretation of the human condition, don't you think?"she finally announces her presence.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:20 am

Rob turns to look at the source of the voice. He looks a bit surprised and intrigued, but not worried.

"Minamida," Rob says, smiling. "I prefer to think of it as a celebration of humanities potential. Not every insect can create such magnificent mechanisms for self-destruction. Look at pandas. They just refuse to fuck. Wouldn't it be more exciting if their extinction razed the Earth in a wave of nuclear fire?"
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:26 am

"Undoubtedly so, but that doesn't necessarily improve the overall situation, now does it?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:29 am

"As entertaining as it would be, probably not," Rob concedes. "Luckily, I've long since abandoned my plans to give nuclear weapons to animals."
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:03 am

"You seem a lot more eager than this afternoon, I'm glad. I was almost worried you didn't really want to be here."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:14 am

"Of course I want to be here. You have wonderful toys," Rob says. "Unfortunately, the Conspiracy mixes up my mind when I'm awake. I don't know how yet. Pills. Radio waves. Subdermal biotechnic implant. Something. I'll find it."

"But I am a trickster God, Coyote's beloved son," Rob says. "I built a ship out of dreams and I keep it tied just on the periphery of things. At night, I sail out into the real world."

The entire time he continues to scroll through the designs.
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:27 am

"Interesting. You feel your mind is being held back and interfered with by something?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:43 am

"No, I believe that I become a gibbering sycophantic moron in the presence of sunlight," Rob says with no small amount of sarcasm.
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:03 pm

Ashlie looks concerned for a moment, then seems to come to a decision almost immediately. She steps into the room, the door closing behind her.

"Mister West, I believe we need to have a little talk." she says, almost conspiratorially. "How would you feel about circumventing restriction and rules in exchange for me helping you with the problem that your 'gibbering sycophantic moron' self seeks to sabotage your work?"
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:17 pm

"I am a fan of the part where we're breaking rules," Rob says. "What were you thinking?"
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:27 pm

"It's complicated to explain in it's entirety. In short you'd be helping me gain access to a computer system that is too well protected to be broken through with my abilities."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:30 pm

Rob smirks, "Sounds like fun."
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:35 pm

"Excellent. There's more to it, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it. I have some preliminary designs drawn up for a device that would allow for the kind of backdoor access we require, but it's unfinished." she says and Rob's workbench begins rapidly flipping through schematics until it gets to the one Ashlie mentioned. It doesn't appear to be one of the openly accessible ones he'd been going through.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:44 pm

Rob walks around the desk, looking at the schematic. He takes note of the classification of the file as well as Ms. Minamida's ease in controlling the workbench, but doesn't say anything. "And what does it need to do exactly?"
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:51 pm

"It needs to be able to capable of locomotion, contain a high-volume data port and be capable of interfacing itself with these kind of ports." she says, pulling up what look like custom-designed interface-ports. "It's a remotely-delivered Trojan horse for sustained data access upwards of 5 gigaflops per second. No programming is necessary at this stage, this is merely for gaining physical access to the system."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm

"Preferred form of locomotion?" Rob asks. "I'm a fan of drones myself, but I'm flexible."
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:19 pm

"If you can fit aerial mobility in without increasing the size too much, please be my guest. Otherwise legs capable of climbing and navigating electronic equipment will suffice."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:29 pm

"What security systems will it need to evade?" Rob asks.
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:33 pm

"Nothing significant as long as it can fit through five inch wide apertures."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:49 pm

Rob starts to fiddle with the schematic, examining how everything fits together, "What are you stealing? Something fun?"
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:58 pm

"We're not stealing anything right now. We're preparing." she says, walking over to the workbench to watch Rob work. "And there are many terms I could use to describe what I'm trying to do, but the one I prefer is that we're trying to fix someone's mistakes. We'll see if you're trustworthy enough for me to tell you more."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:37 pm

"I'm really not," Rob says. "But we all have to make our own mistakes. You'll figure it out."

"Miniaturization might cause problems," Rob mumbles. "Heat sink. Cooling? Ports. Hrrm."

He taps the screen and rotates everything. He might be something of a genius, but his powers were only of very limited help in conceptualizing things.

"Tensile....no. Carbon-fibers," Rob says. "Ha!"

Pulling up several different elements like he knows the system by heart, Rob manages to quickly put together a hypothetical model of a spider-like leg.

"This is very useful," Rob says, he makes the leg flex briefly before making some adjustments. "Alright. I'll help you."
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:50 pm

"Excellent. I very much appreciate it." she says as she watches Rob work.

"If you need some ideas on handling excess temperatures..." she says and pulls up a three-dimensional diagram that almost looks like a tree in it's design. "I have some promising design-concepts that disperse heat through metal filaments. It can be laid out across the exterior surface on a nano-scale to maximize dispersal."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:22 pm

Rob smiles widely, "Hello, beautiful."

"Did you design this yourself?"
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:32 pm

"I did indeed. It works very well if it's printed right into the base of the outer casing."
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:40 pm

Rob is already working on applying the technology to the designs, "Show-off."
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:32 pm

"You haven't seen anything yet." she smiles almost enigmatically.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:05 pm

"Really? I think I see things pretty well," Rob says.

Unlike earlier, this version of Rob had no problems using his abilities to investigate Minamida a bit more thoroughly. As he works, he shifts his attention towards any technology he could intuit from her.
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:21 pm

There's definitely a lot of technology hidden underneath her skin. The fact that it seems to be worked into living tissue makes it harder to get a good idea, but especially her chest cavity seems filled with technology, some of which seems to be involved in air-flow while the rest is central to the pieces he had sensed earlier that are spread throughout her body like a nervous system of data-flow.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:33 pm

Fascinating, Rob thinks, looking a bit distracted. Unsatisfied with any of the standard actuators in the system, he begins building one himself. Perfection isn't easy.
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:42 pm

Ashlie just keeps patiently watching him work, either unaware or unconcerned about him using his power on her. Especially when she's standing still like this is becomes obvious how almost mechanical her breathing is, never deviating in rhythm or depth.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:44 am

"You have an interesting body," Rob says.
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:46 am

"A peculiar choice of words. If I didn't know any better I would have to assume you're trying to engage in flirtations." she says, sounding vaguely amused.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Robert West » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:02 am

"Who says I'm not?" Rob asks, starting to work on integrating the power supply into the frame. "Nothing turns me on quite like an excellently designed piece of equipment."
Robert West
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:13 am

"How scandalous. But I'm afraid I won't be able to reciprocate." she says and it almost seems as if she looks little regretful, strangely enough.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to The Point