[Activity] A Little Town Called Newport

It didn't happen... but it WOULD HAVE BEEN AWESOME

[Activity] A Little Town Called Newport

Postby Will Stanton » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:46 pm

Somewhere out there, there is an Otherworld. It's somewhere between the corner of your eye and just a slight left turn from reality, coexisting alongside our own. And, if you're in the right - or wrong - state of mind, you can catch it bleeding out into the world we live in, if the barrier is thin and the light is just right.

Newport is one of those towns. On the surface, it could be any North American city. A minor university, a thriving arts district and music nightlife, abandoned buildings on the edge of town, a thriving modern center, an old-worldy market of narrow windy cobblestone streets from when everything was first founded. But if you know where to look, there's magic in the air.

This is an idea for a little light urban fantasy AU -- one where some characters live slightly parallel to reality. Whereas XU has lots of big punchy things and action sequences, this is quieter and more character-focused, and just might be a fun way to play certain kinds of things that don't really fit on the main boards, which are set in a universe where some people fly and some people shoot laser beams from their eyes and that's all quite normal and OK.

I'm cribbing heavily from Charles De Lint's Newford series (as one might have gathered from the name), but also the lighter side of Neil Gaiman, a little more urban Alice Hoffman, the less-horrory bits of China Mieville, stuff like that

It's not Twilight or Dresden Files stuff, where there's, like, secret cabals of werewolves and vampires fighting ancient wars just outside of view, secretly running the world or something like that. Instead, it's a world where the fact that your computer never works might mean you've attracted a stray pixie; where the shop around the corner has both existed forever and wasn't there yesterday; where the leader of the local punk band either has faerie blood, sold their soul to the devil for talent, or quite frequently both. It's where the slums and old city where no one goes may be filled with goblins; where the thin woman sipping her tea may actually be the descendant of the Oak King, and so on and so forth.

Just seeing if there's any interest.
Will Stanton
Student

High Concept: Pillsbury Clayboy
Aspect: Needs to be Useful/Used
Aspect: Out of Place, Out of Time
Aspect: Unique Worldview
Aspect: Big Ball of Trauma
Aspect: Open-Hearted

Re: A Little Town Called Newport

Postby Leo Eskandari » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:04 am

I could see Diego as a deputy that's also a spirit medium. He would be in XU if ghosts were a thing.
Leo Eskandari

High Concept: Animal I Have Become
Aspect: Mad Science Victim
Aspect: I Kissed a Boy and I Liked It
Aspect: Soft on the Inside
Aspect: Predatory Instincts
Aspect: No Poker Face

Topic attributes:

Return to What If...