[Avalon] Overview

It didn't happen... but it WOULD HAVE BEEN AWESOME

[Avalon] Overview

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:45 pm

Another thought exercise from me. I don't know why I like pseudo-apocalypses. I may have a problem. <_<

The return of Excalibur to the world awakened forces that normal mortal minds found difficult to comprehend. The change was slow at first: a reappearance of the fey here, a sighting of a ghostly knight there. Most people thought them the tales of late night drunks or hallucinating drug addicts. So no one was prepared when the crown forests exploded, spreading greenery across the whole of the island.

The resurgence of magic quickly spread, ripping up and replacing modern technology with its own brand of strangeness. Some technology survived somewhat intact, seemingly entwined with magic at it's core, such as the crystal computer at the lighthouse at the old Braddock mansion. Other technology was replaced by what came to be termed its "esoteric equivalent". While this presented mild consternation for your average army that now had bows and crossbows instead of MP-5s, it caused a much greater concern at air force bases that now had to feed flights of tame, but cantankerous, dragons.

Returned from Avalon, the Lady of the Lake appeared to everyone on the island, her face hovering over every substantial body of water. "Now that I and my kin have returned, we want you to know that you are not defenseless against the worst of our kind. Among you there are those who have been given a great gift. The blades of old that have been held away from this world have been returned to new wielders. Once those are found, the Round Table may be built anew and those with the will to be heroes will have their seat there."

As her address finished, the Houses of Parliament shimmered and glowed, transforming into a large castle with a clock above the moathouse. Everyone inside at the time magically appeared outside the building. Attempts to reenter proved to be impossible as the doors refused passage for all who tried.

Life began to move on. Some people claimed to have one of the swords that the Lady of the Lake had spoken of, but all were proven false by their inability to enter the 'Big Ben Castle' as it came to be called. Rumors persist that the Lady of the Lake was just toying with the mortals as her kind tend to do. Others say that the blade wielders do exist and that we do our best to stay hidden, because the day that the Round Table is needed has not yet come. Whatever the reason, the days are drawing close when we will have no choice to reveal ourselves and then the Round Table will be filled again. Even now I can feel the pull of that place, calling to me through the sword...

- Tereza Rozanov, Wielder of Frostbringer

Characters don't have to be one of the sword wielders, but are welcome to be. That's why I purposely left the number and nature of the swords themselves nebulous. In general, magic is the order of the day and for some reason, modern technology largely ceased to function. So it was an apocalypse of sorts, but a fairly tame one. Some characters may have had their abilities or appearance altered as a result of the magical resurgence. For those that have figured out the rules of magic, it is possible to replicate some of the old (like using magic to talk at a distance between two bowls of water).
Tereza Rozanov
Student

High Concept: Winter Wolf
Aspect: Chip Off The Old Ice Block
Aspect: Escaped Asset
Aspect: Servant Alpha
Aspect: Partner To The Fey

Re: [Avalon] Overview

Postby Tereza Rozanov » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:46 pm

Frostbringer belonged to Morgan Le Fay and the witch still rankles at having lost the blade. A cold fog rolls off the blade whenever it's drawn. The fey claim that Frostbringer has a darkened soul from its long association with Le Fay and the dark fey and it will only allow itself to be wielded by a kindred spirit. Frostbringer grants its wielder domain over the elements favored by the Winter Court. Previous wielders have frozen rivers and lakes, killed crops with frost, and chilled their opponents to the bone with a single strike. In the hands of Tereza, already a cryokinetic by mutation, Frostbringer has found a kindred spirit. The sword amplified her powers, giving her much finer control over her manipulations. Every construct she creates now possesses intense detail and she seems to exert very little effort. Now living in London, she's slow to draw her sword and so few people are aware there's anything unusual about her blade.
Tereza Rozanov
Student

High Concept: Winter Wolf
Aspect: Chip Off The Old Ice Block
Aspect: Escaped Asset
Aspect: Servant Alpha
Aspect: Partner To The Fey

Re: [Avalon] Overview

Postby Shane Marsh » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:52 pm

It isn't known to whom Silverthorn belonged in the past, but now it has chosen a young and brash plant manipulator named Shane. Its influence has heightened his control of plants and transformed him into one himself, though one in the form of a man that still walks and talks. A wound from the thin blade is said to paralyze the weak willed.
Shane Marsh
Student

High Concept: Grumpy Green Man
Aspect: Rich Kid
Aspect: Daddy Issues
Aspect: Faux Bad Boy

Topic attributes:

Return to What If...