We're All Monsters Here

It didn't happen... but it WOULD HAVE BEEN AWESOME

We're All Monsters Here

Postby Wanda Johansson » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:58 pm

The introduction to the supernatural life is often a harsh one. Vampires prowl the night and werewolves just prowl. They’re not the only creatures, but they are by far the most numerous. And they hide from the world at large whenever possible. When a mortal stumbles into their realm, they’re frequently inducted in one manner or another. Some are dominated or intimidated into service. Others are transformed by fang or claw or secret rite. Some people who *think* they know what’s going on seek out that change, only to find nothing at all. Occasionally someone takes pity on them and changes them, but no one ever makes that decision lightly.

We vampires value the mortals. They are, after all, what we feed on. It’s rare to find a vampire who doesn’t have at least a few mortals hanging around to feed from, kept there by either loyalty, domination, or any number of other reasons. In general, we’re faster, stronger, and tougher than humans and we exhibit all sorts of strange abilities that tend to travel from sire to child. All this power is not without its cost though. The sun hates us and we hate it in turn. Wooden stake through the heart paralyzes us. Cutting off our head kills us permanently. Garlic? Nothing. Crosses? Not unless you have that faith that moves mountains that they talk about. Fire’s an absolute bitch though.

Werewolves are a different thing entirely. Some are born, some are bitten. Their first change is a hellacious time for them or so I’m told by a friend of mine. It’s not unlike when we’re first turned. They’re the worst cases of “hangry” the world ever sees. Once they’ve calmed down though, they can be very useful. My friend calls it as much an infection of spirit as of body and given their propensity for seeing ghosts and other spirit-y type things, I’m inclined to believe her. Werewolves are strong, fast, and tough as nails even in human form. If you’re going to get on one’s bad side, I suggest bringing some silver or some high explosives. A spare set of arms might not hurt either to replace the ones they’ll rip off of you.

I’ve heard there’s some other things. My sire claimed to have met a mummy ages ago. One of my vampire “aunts” claims she knows a demon. The occasional mad scientist crosses lines that man was not meant to cross and all sorts of horrors come from that. I’ve never had direct experience, but I hear stories.

Now someone’s rattling the cage and everyone is starting to feel it. We’re about to play the big game and no one even knows what the sides are and that scares us all.

-Wanda Johansson, First Daughter of Alexander Rathbone

I've had modern supernatural on the brain. I blame the books I'm listening to and my re-immersion into the World of Darkness. While I've taken some cues from that property in this write-up, I made some alterations and in general avoided its meta-plots.

Vampires are dead and drink blood. They don't age, they go up in flames in the sun, and they exhibit strange abilities from growing claws to flesh shaping to crafting illusions to mental domination to minor shapeshifting. They tend to organize into "family" groups following the "bloodlines" of the people who turned them.

Werewolves are strong, tend to be a little wild, and are vulnerable to silver. Part of their "curse" makes a part of them touch the spirit world and some of them don't recover well from that exposure. They tend to organize into packs with little formal structure other than that. They also seem tied to the moon in some way, though that may be just an excuse for their behavior.

There's room for other things if someone has an idea. Mutants as such don't exist as this feels like an opportunity to explore a character in a somewhat different context.
Wanda Johansson

High Concept: Storm Druid
Aspect: Child of Earth
Aspect: A Butterfly Flaps Her Wings
Aspect: Putting Down Roots
Aspect: Wrapped In The Leash

Re: We're All Monsters Here

Postby Wanda Johansson » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:35 pm

Wanda Johannson
  • Vampire
  • Runs the Sunset Club, a neutral ground location for the supernatural in London
  • Lives in a large house owned by her sire, Alexander Rathbone
  • Has sired at least one vampire, a young woman who shares the house with her

Tereza Rozanov
  • Werewolf
  • On first name terms with Wanda and a regular at the Sunset Club
  • Has a peculiarly good connection with the spirits
  • Lives in an apartment over a curry shop
  • Seems to have no day job
Wanda Johansson

High Concept: Storm Druid
Aspect: Child of Earth
Aspect: A Butterfly Flaps Her Wings
Aspect: Putting Down Roots
Aspect: Wrapped In The Leash

Postby Red » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:48 pm

Sam McManus
  • Werewolf
  • Freakishly tall and built like a brick shithouse
  • Extensively tattooed
  • Motorcycle enthusiast and handy with a wrench
  • Hasn't encountered other werewolves until now
Red

Postby Haley Crusek » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:47 am

Haley Crusek
  • Werewolf
  • Bitten on a camping trip when she was 15
  • Ran away from home shortly thereafter
  • Has had some pretty horrific encounters with the spirit world. She's got an especially strong connection but seems to be a magnet for bad spirits. Doesn't like to talk about it.
Haley Crusek
Student

High Concept: Pint-sized Powerhouse
Aspect: Wannabe hero
Aspect: Shitty psychic
Aspect: Hothead
Aspect: Walmart-brand Tinkerbell

Postby Toshiro Narumi » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:03 pm

Toshiro Narumi
  • Wizard
  • Self taught
  • An attempt to contract with a spirit resulted in the two sharing a body.
  • Ages slowly

"Bruce" the Samebito
  • Yokai
  • Actual name: Third Son of the Guardian of the Sixth Spring Gate of Ryūgū-jō
  • Exiled for... well he tended to break things.
Toshiro Narumi
Student

High Concept: Nascent Cardinal Guardian
Aspect: Adorkable Tech Genius
Aspect: Hero In The Blood
Aspect: Crowded Brain
Aspect: Werewolf Lover
Aspect: Guilty Conscience

Topic attributes:

Return to What If...