Little Shop of Wonders

A beautiful beach-side town in a vaguely Californian climate full of colorful characters and whacky hijinks! Though at night not everything is as it seems...

Little Shop of Wonders

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:33 am

The interior of the shop is *slightly* more organized than the window displays would let on. As the two men move in through the door, the man at the counter looks up. "Can I help you gentlemen?"
Narrator
Site Admin

Re: Hollydale Nights

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Chase Delacroix wrote:"If people let an imminent apocalypse stop them from living their lives, no one would ever do anything," Chase pointed out.

"I'm sure they'd get numb to it after the fifth or sixth possible apocalypse, I certainly have," Sean said before looking at the clerk. "I've been told there's an alcove with some excellent volumes I've been looking for if you could point the way."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:00 pm

The man seems nervous, "Wanda's not here right now and she doesn't like people visiting that section when she's not here."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:14 pm

"That means it's not forbidden," Sean said smiling a the man.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:18 pm

"Well, no..." The man admits. "I could call her, but she hasn't been feeling well lately, so she's had me minding the store. I'd hate if something happened on my watch. She's not exactly the most forgiving person."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:15 pm

"I'll be sure to wear gloves while handling the goods," Sean said, "I had to digitize some of my collection recently because well, time claims us all eventually."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 pm

"Okay," the man said, still eyeing them warily, "Be real careful."

Two rows down and three left... just how big was this shop anyways... there was indeed a curtain in an archway. The archway had some nice carving work on it, lots of vines and wild animals intermingled.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Chase Delacroix » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:37 pm

Narrator wrote:"Okay," the man said, still eyeing them warily, "Be real careful."

Two rows down and three left... just how big was this shop anyways... there was indeed a curtain in an archway. The archway had some nice carving work on it, lots of vines and wild animals intermingled.

"Those aren't going to come alive, right?" he asked like a man who just didn't get magic.
Chase Delacroix
Student

High Concept: Green Arrow Wannabe
Aspect: Kung-Fu Fighter
Aspect: Ex-Assassin
Aspect: Recovering Amnesiac
Aspect: Guilty Conscience

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:45 pm

"Probably not," Sean said looking over the arch cursorily before moving to pull the curtain aside so he could enter. "Too easy for some civilian to become collateral damage."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Through the arch was a short hallway/opening/thing, flanked by alcoves with a pair of statues in them. The statues were lifelike wood-carvings of some large cross between panther and house cat. The statues stared at one another across the tiny hallway. Beyond the statues, they could see the 'private collection': a group of orderly bookshelves and parchment cubbies arranged around a central reading table.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Chase Delacroix » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 pm

"Any idea what she meant by a chin scratch tax? I don't see a cat."
Chase Delacroix
Student

Postby Sean Hall » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:29 pm

"The statues," Sean shrugged before walking over to one of the large panther house cat statues. "Probably. If not get ready to put arrows in things."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:56 pm

The statues remained statues as he approached. There was a sense of magic about them though.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Narrator wrote:The statues remained statues as he approached. There was a sense of magic about them though.

"Scratch the other statue's chin," Sean said to Chase sensing the magic. "This wiccan certainly does fit in with the rest of us witches and warlocks."

Sean reached out to scratch one of the panther statue's chin.
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Chase Delacroix » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:18 pm

"When in Hogwarts," he responded with a shrug before reaching out to the other statue.
Chase Delacroix
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:31 pm

As they scratch the statues' chins, the statues' heads lift in near perfect imitation of an actual cat's so that the statues are no longer looking at each other.
Narrator
Site Admin

Re: Little Shop of Wonders

Postby Sean Hall » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:46 pm

"Well, that's either ominous or we disarmed the bloody wards correctly," Sean said as he continued towards the private collection
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:54 pm

After they had both passed the statues, the heads lowered again. The collection was modest, but there were at least a couple of volumes that Sean had never seen before. There was also a conspicuously empty space on a display stand on one of the shelves.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Chase Delacroix » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:27 pm

"See anything useful?" he asked, idly examining the empty spot.
Chase Delacroix
Student

Postby Sean Hall » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 pm

Sean looked for a book that might contain a map of the ley lines in the area. He was intrigued by the volumes he'd never encountered but he wasn't browsing for pleasure reading.

"Useful? Certainly," Sean said, "Useful for stopping the apocalypse? I'm not sure yet."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:00 pm

There was a map that appeared to show the ley lines in the area. Or at least that's what it purported to show. The actual lines had more in common with a circuit diagram.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:24 pm

Sean stared at the lines an expression on his face cycling between confusion and frustration.

"This doesn't look like a ley line map," Sean said, "Unless the ley lines on this side of the pond are more ordered than the rest of this bloody country is."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Chase Delacroix » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:57 pm

"You're right. It looks more like a schematic than a mystic map. Which... makes no sense," he responded with a perplexed frown.
Chase Delacroix
Student

Postby Vivienne Chinnoir » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:06 pm

"It's about to make even less sense. My contact within the Organization is coming here to meet up with us." V then quickly filled them in about the triples' transformation, the new phone and the 'sympathetic mind'.
Vivienne Chinnoir
Student

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:49 pm

"You're right it does make even less sense now," Sean said after Vivienne's summary. "Makes hunting demons and horrors seem much more pleasant."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:08 pm

As he glances back at the ley-line map, Sean notes that it's gone back to what he would have expected out of such a map.

When Chase glances back at the empty pedestal, he notes that there's the outline of dust and wear that would indicate a book should be sitting there and moreover has at there for quite some time. Based on the outlines, he'd say it was a sizable book and heavy based on the wear it's but on the bottom lip of the display stand.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Chase Delacroix » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:06 pm

"I think we can add an invisible book to the list," he observed before reaching out to touch where a book should be.
Chase Delacroix
Student

Postby Sean Hall » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:37 pm

"The map looks like a proper map now," Sean said wanting nothing more than to have a cigarette at that moment. "This all seems much more wrong than usual."
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Vivienne Chinnoir » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:43 pm

"Good to know I'm not the only one seeing things or not seeing. The outside text said to question everything, who better then a group who hunt the unseen for a living?"
Vivienne Chinnoir
Student

Postby Narrator » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:13 pm

Chase Delacroix wrote:"I think we can add an invisible book to the list," he observed before reaching out to touch where a book should be.

Chase's hand passes right through the space where the book should be. A voice pipes up from the entryway, "That's the shelf where... what did Wanda call it... the Liber Terra or the Liber Terror? I can't remember which. That's where it should be anyway. I don't know where it's gone off to." The attendant stands in the doorway, obviously not wanting to try to pass the guardians.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Sean Hall » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:19 pm

"The Book of Earth or Terror both sound equally bloody lovely," Sean muttered before looking towards the voice. "Has anybody else come up here recently?"
Sean Hall
Student

Postby Narrator » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:55 pm

"No, not that I've seen you're the first to even ask for this collection since Wanda got sick," he says, frowning. "I mean, we've had a few customers come in and browse the stacks, but no one's been in here that I've heard. And I would have heard. Those catches screech like nobody's business if someone comes in who doesn't do the right stuff."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Vivienne Chinnoir » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:21 am

"HR may be able to tell us if one or the other is a real book or not. Wanda may have even taken it home with her." V walked over to the shelf, placing her hand on it. She tried to think back to the other times she'd been in this alcove with Wanda. She tried to remember what this one book looked like, she must have seen it before.
Vivienne Chinnoir
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:50 am

As she rests her hand on the display stand, the display stand shudders and pixelates for a moment. It hisses and spits briefly before it promptly disappears.
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Chase Delacroix » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:52 am

"Okay, what the [censored] was that?" Chase asked.
Chase Delacroix
Student

Postby Vivienne Chinnoir » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:59 am

"Ok...that's the third time something like that has happened." She looked at her bare hand and then the location the shelf used to be.

"Magus, how does your magic work? Do you just 'will it' to happen?"
Vivienne Chinnoir
Student

Postby Narrator » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Before Sean has a chance to answer, there's a sickening crunching popping noise from the entryway. "Just couldn't leave well enough alone, could you?" Standing in the entryway is a humanoid demon holding the head of the shop attendant as the rest of the attendant's body crumples to the ground. From outside, there's a loud keening roar. "Doom has come to this town," the demon says, tossing the head at Vivienne, "And it will consume you all."
Narrator
Site Admin

Postby Chase Delacroix » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:12 pm

Chase instantly unslung his collapsible bow and trained an inscribed arrow at the demon. "Not if we have a say in it," he superhero-growls before letting it fly.
Chase Delacroix
Student

Postby Vivienne Chinnoir » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:11 pm

"What?! No!" She reached back grabbing Cal. This was all wrong, the monsters never came here, they were always in their dens or lairs. Vivienne crouched low, preparing to swing for the beasts legs.
Vivienne Chinnoir
Student

Postby Narrator » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:58 am

The demon took the arrow in the chest, falling backwards and giving Vivienne the chance to chop through its knees. The creature tumbled backwards and exploded in flames, catching the surrounding shelves on fire. There were more sounds of horrible things coming from outside the shop.
Narrator
Site Admin

Next

Topic attributes:

Return to Hollydale