Basil "Baggins" Benson

Basil "Baggins" Benson

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:57 pm

Name: Basil Benson
Codename: Baggins
Country of Origin: England
Hometown: London
Birthday: June the 14th

Power: Seen as more of a curse than a blessing by it's bearer, Basil is invisible. Key word being is, and not turns. Basil is both imperceptible to the naked eye and through digital photography equipment. The only way that anyone can view Basil is in reflection (such as when he passes by a mirror) or when his photograph is taken with an older , film style camera. He cannot be recorded by any means, and no technology has been able to render him visible thus far.

There are still ways to know Basil is present other than vision, such as telepathy, heightened sense of smell, or just regular sense of smell on the days he is particularly primped. However, for most students they would not be immediately aware of his presence once he went out of his way to hide.

Personality: His mutation does not match his personality. Basil used to be a people person before what he refers to as his 'condition' started, and one of the most popular boys in his school. While he is still sociable enough on the surface, nowadays Basil greatly prefers to hang with friends than just anyone, but the problem is he doesn't have any of those left. Because of this, Basil can usually be found hanging out around the student union building reading a book or having a pint alone in a desperate attempt to make some new friends, when he's not studying or working hours at the school library.

Of course, he won't literally be seen often in the library as he prefers to work silent and unseen. Having been provided with a special garment for such instances when he would rather remain invisible to the naked eye (only to get him to stop walking around not wearing any trousers), he is often only noticed by the book trolley he pushes, the texts he shelves, or his occasional disembodied reading glasses. He does have days when he is prone to introversion and will also use his suit to move around undetected when he doesn't wish to be bothered by random strangers. That doesn't prevent him from bothering others while he is veiled from the human eye, which often causes him to unintentionally spook others in his desperate need for attention.

Due to being spoiled rotten and not wanting for anything, he can be a bit of a childish primadonna at times, and naive about others situations. He tries his best not to be too judgmental however. He is a very sensitive boy, prone to 'eye sweats' when things get a little too emotionally deep. His grandmother used to refer to his episodes as "farklemt." In stressful situations he can become incredibly anxious, which he refers to as 'agita'.

Basil has chosen 'Library Sciences' as his major. As a child, Basil loved to read books with his grandmother, and listen to his grandfather's stories which he passed on orally. His love of good stories remained with him through high school, though his love of books only resurfaced after the mutation did since he needed an 'alone hobby' to occupy all his alone time after his parents pulled him from school thanks to no one wanting to be around the creepy ghost kid anymore. Basil can be found reading just about anything, and has a taste for bad fiction in the same fashion that some have a taste for terrible movies. In his online activities, he may or may not encourage terrible fan fiction writers to keep writing just so he can see what other kinds of utter garbage they are capable of pumping out.

Description: Not that it means much anymore, but he is rather quite the looker. The one thing everyone would be able to tell was that he was tall, clocking in at 6'1, though only by the height at which his reading glasses set on his face, and by the fact he doesn't have to use the library ladder as often as others to put things back in right order. He does enjoy riding it though, so sometimes he does it just to have fun.

Anyone who happens to catch his visage in reflection (usually in a public place such as the men's room) would be greeted with a blue eyed man of slender build with black coloured though slightly crazy hair. Although he is always clean shaven, no one but himself has been able to cut his hair for him in ages, and because of that he can easily become a bit neglectful of it in terms of letting it grow. It's such a pain to cut, but he also refuses to buzz it for personal reasons he doesn't often share. To make up for this, he uses more hair products than most to tame it.

When he is in the mood for being seen, he dresses to impress. Impress ladies that is. Basil is still convinced that even though he can't show ladies he is a rich hot guy, he can always hope telling them about it is going to work out in his favour. After all, he still had money. Mumsy and dad make sure to keep him amply supplied.

Background: Born the only child of affluent parents, Basil spent more time with his grandparents than his actual ones in his youth. When speaking on his family he speaks more often and in higher regard of them than mumsy and dad, but he refrains from saying anything truly negative about his parents. He suspects they try their best with what was given to them genetics wise.

Get him talking long enough and you will definitely hear things about zayde and bubbe.

When Basil's mutation revealed itself his parents spared no expense trying to 'ease his condition'. Once he was no longer visible his parents pulled him out of regular school and hired him a private tutor to avoid the embarrassment of their son's 'condition', but this only worked until the point he needed to go off to university. He was then sent off to Oxford all thanks to mumsy and dad's social contacts, and lived alone as to not further aggravate his 'condition'. Many dollars were spent to try to fix their son's 'condition' and when that didn't work they decided the best thing for him was to ship him off to Maldon... to be with others with his sort of 'condition'. His parents view Xavier's University as more of a Sanitorium than a school, and some of this negative ideology has wormed it's way into Basil's thinking as well.
Last edited by Basil Benson on Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Basil Benson
Student

High Concept: Unwitting Heir to a Secret Legacy
Aspect: More Money Than Sense
Aspect: Ward of Unwanted Protectors
Aspect: Inconsistently Invisible
Aspect: Weirdness Magnet
Aspect: Covert Pervert

Re: Basil "Baggins" Benson

Postby Will Stanton » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:29 pm

Approval 1/2
Will Stanton
Student

High Concept: Pillsbury Clayboy
Aspect: Needs to be Useful/Used
Aspect: Out of Place, Out of Time
Aspect: Unique Worldview
Aspect: Big Ball of Trauma
Aspect: Open-Hearted

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:03 pm

I have two questions.

One, I'm not sure if the "destroys magnetic tape" bit is really necessary or fitting to the rest of his power. He wouldn't show up on any recordings made on tape anyway, right?

Two, at least some digital cameras use mirrors to reflect images onto the capture mechanism. Would that work to "see" him or do mirrors only work for human eyes?
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:17 pm

These kind of correlate to each other so i'mma kinda combine them into one answer if that is OK.

The concept is that he can have old school photographs taken of him, but that's it. Like Polaroids. Both this and the mirrors thing are coming more out of mysticism concept than a scientifically backed one, but then again in these sorts of settings I tend to take a very Dr.Venture " Science, Magic, Whatever" outlook on things. *L*

The concept comes from the old superstition that mirrors and cameras can steal your soul. In my mind, the concept behind the mirror is that the individual that sees him does so because they are not looking right at him. Further, the issue with digital photography equipment comes down to some form of interference from his mutation that doesn't effect old school, chemical based cameras, which after thinking about it I thought might effect the old school video casette style recordings as well, but I don't much care one way or another. I was just trying to be thorough on that so I can ditch it if necessary for approval. As for me personally it comes less down to trying to make him sneaky sneaky super ninja and more that Basil as a character (when he is in a good mood) will take any excuse to be seen which is why I take what I can away from him because I don't want what he wants.

Because I am a terrible character mommy.
Emilie
Student

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:36 pm

I'm fine with him not showing up on recordings and some arbitrary distinction, so only showing up to "people" in mirrors and chemical photo equipment is fine. I'm gonna go ahead and veto the actual destruction of tapes simply from being near them but he'd obviously not show up in whatever film was recorded on them.

If that's alright with you then I'll give this Approval 2/2
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:37 pm

WIll do. Lemme just switch over here. *L*.
Emilie
Student

Postby Basil Benson » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:38 pm

All better.
Basil Benson
Student

High Concept: Unwitting Heir to a Secret Legacy
Aspect: More Money Than Sense
Aspect: Ward of Unwanted Protectors
Aspect: Inconsistently Invisible
Aspect: Weirdness Magnet
Aspect: Covert Pervert

Postby Ashlie Minamida » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:42 pm

By the way, if you click that question mark button next to "Quote" on a post you should be able to get to the menu where you can change a post's account to another one. That way you don't have to switch accounts all the time and can just swap individual posts.
Ashlie Minamida
Faculty

Postby Emilie » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:43 pm

Yea I just didn't like, logic out I can switch, edit the post, then switch back. Sam just lemme know that.
Emilie
Student

Topic attributes:

Return to Active Characters