Amy "Aurora" Myers

Amy "Aurora" Myers

Postby Amy Myers » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:22 pm

Name: Amy Myers
Codename: Aurora
Country of Origin: US of A
Hometown: Seattle

Powers:
Amy's body is brimming with energy that manifests itself in two ways. She can discharge the energy as bright white beams that emanate from her hands or fingers. They increase in intensity the more energy she focuses into them, ranging from narrow beams that set paper on fire after a couple moments to huge beams that leave gouges in walls. It takes effort and control to dial them down while dialing them up comes easy but takes a heavy toll in that it quickly exhausts her to the point of being harmful to her.
She can also channel the energy through herself to fly, which causes her to emit a faint glow. Just like the beams it takes focus and willpower to not go zooming off haphazardly while increasing speed quickly exhausts her the faster she goes. This also gives her a minor boost in toughness and resilience to being hurt.

Personality:
Amy is a mousy young woman who tends to appear a little shy and guarded in how she holds herself. She's easy to fluster and often a bit nervous, especially in larger groups she tends to stick to the sidelines. She can have bit of a temper when pushed and she's concerned about it to the point of keeping a lid on it fairly successfully.

Description:
Amy is of average height and has relatively unremarkable brown hair. Occasionally her eyes betray her mutation, although usually they only glow when she's significantly channeling her power. She's not very flashy and tends to not wear a lot of makeup. Her clothes tend to be unremarkable and almost boring at times.

Background:
Amy had never been one of the popular girls, but for the most part she'd been okay with that. She had a small group of friends and that was just fine with her. Unfortunately, when she was 15 she began to notice that something about her was different. She felt like she had a live wire running through her body and felt increasingly on edge. Even one of her friends confiding in her that he was a mutant did little to convince her to mention her concerns to anybody. Until one day on her way home from school it reached a breaking point. She'd realized she probably was a mutant as well and the thought scared her. Unable to contain the energy coursing through her she did the only sensible thing she could think of and ran. She only made it a couple steps before her mutation manifested itself in full and flung her into the air in a bright flash of energy. She only remembers waking up in the forest in a clearing of her own making, smoldering and shattered remains of trees all around her with her friend Vinny standing at the edge of the devastation.

Terrified of being found out she did her best to hide her power from everybody else. As a result she became increasingly fidgety and withdrawn, losing most of her friends in the process except for Vinny, who encouraged her to at least try and experiment with her power. The two helped each other learn how to better control their mutations, though she never quite got comfortable with hers.Eventually things came to a head when her control slipped during one of her final exams in high school. Thankfully nobody was injured, but she destroyed several desks and the blackboard, at which point the jig was up. Her parents made her register under the MRA and among the fallout over that decided it'd be best if she went to XU instead of a "regular" college.

ImageImage
Amy Myers

Re: Amy Myers

Postby Hank McCoy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:58 pm

So just to clarify here, is it universally that they are more concussive when diffuse, and more cutting/burning when focused? Or are there effectively two degrees of control, one being focused/diffuse, and one being the amount of energy?
Hank McCoy
Faculty

Postby Amy Myers » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:07 pm

I left it a bit blurry on purpose, but it's not really on a scale of control. I was more going for generic energy beam without nailing down what kind of energy it is exactly, mainly cause I want people to be able to be hit by them without being incinerated or sliced in half instantly. The example was more for a general idea of intensity (from barely hurting paper to significant destructive force).
Amy Myers

Postby Hank McCoy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:14 pm

Alright, so the constant at least is, from what I gather from the sheet, that the more destructive effects (neem neem lasers when focused, and big badda boom when diffuse) are more difficult to achieve and wear her out faster due to the amount of energy involved. By extension, diffuse is marginally easier than focused, regardless of how much energy is pumped into it. Does that match your expectations?
Hank McCoy
Faculty

Postby Amy Myers » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:20 pm

I'd just call it small and larger beams, but yeah. Smaller beams are mentally taxing, huge beams are physically taxing and just kind of burst out (till she learns how to actually control them at least a little bit better over time) I figured it's like a waterhose, easy to throw open but then it just kind of whips you around as it bursts out and opening it just a bit requires finesse but is less out of control.
Amy Myers

Postby Hank McCoy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Alright, I think I can wrap my head around it pretty well, now.

Approval 1/2
Hank McCoy
Faculty

Postby Will Stanton » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:43 pm

Now that I can be unbiased

Approval 2/2
Will Stanton
Student

High Concept: Pillsbury Clayboy
Aspect: Needs to be Useful/Used
Aspect: Out of Place, Out of Time